Basil - 7

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Hi guys! I'm back and I got double updates to all of you. We have the lost 6 years and what happened to them. 

Please continue to support f(x)! 

And thank you for aubscribing on this story.

Ciao! ✌

 

------------------

 


Krystal's POV


I cried that night once I reached my window sit on the plane. The tears just flowed freely from my eyes and I can't stop it even though how many times I brush it off with my palm. I remember just closing my eyes and fight the urge to sob.


Just like what she told me, I slept the whole flight and ate a little. Now I know why Juliet said 'Parting is such sweet sorrow..' , we may part for now, we don't even know when we are going to see each other again. But I'm sure when the time comes, we'll both be mature enough to be together.


I may have experience my first love just then. And it became one of my motivations to survive 4 years of studying in Italy, including my Dad's support. It was hard, living in a foreign country and not knowing anyone. Good thing my room mate Alessandra is into Kpop and everything Korean that's why we clicked. She will ask me things about Korean Hallyu and what did I felt when I met TVXQ. Actually Dad brought me to this event as his date when I was still in High school and the group was there. I was a bit confuse when cameras start swarming me when I was getting some drinks. It turned out they thought I was Yoona from SNSD. Oh well. *Hair flip*,


I did have many suitors, mostly Italian men and a bit of women too but I turned them down. It mostly ends on the first date because I will tell them that I don't have time for a relationship. My main focus is finishing my course and go home to Korea and be one of the top chefs in the country.


"Krystal! That's Pietro! One of the most eligible gentleman in the institute and you just turned him down like that. What's the matter? Don't you like him?" My room mate Alessandra said when she saw me one time talking to a school mate of ours named Pietro who confessed to me but I didn't accept him.


"I know it's Pietro, your crush. And yes he's a perfect gentleman. It's just that, I only see him as a friend and I'm not attracted to him." I told her while reading some notes on my study table.


I think she's hyperventilating right now based on the sound of her voice. "Dio Mio! He looks like a Roman God with a six pack abs and your not interested in him. Tell me, are you still waiting to see that person you met in New York? What if you met that person and that person is already committed. What will you do?"


Yah... What will I do? Move on with my life? Cry bitterly and tell myself how stupid I am to think about that 'brilliant idea' I suggested to that Llama?


I turned to her and crossed my arms "If that happens, maybe I'll just... move on."


"Fine Krystal. But still, enjoy your life. Don't wait for someone, who you don't even know when will arrive."


I smiled at her and gave her a thumbs up. "Thanks Ale, you're Jiang."


I just busied myself with doing the best I can and to show my Mom who she left behind.


Four years happened so fast in Florence. The next thing I know, we're graduating and one big surprise I have for Dad was I topped the class. He flew to Italy to attend my graduation rites and he introduce his new girlfriend to me. Her name is Jessica and she's also a lawyer like him. She's nice and easy to be with. Aunt Jessi (yes I already called her that) compliments my Dad, and she takes care of him. I can see that Dad is happy with her that's why I gave them my blessings.


They gave me a gift. You know what it is? It's a 3 day trip going to New York. Funny, right? Of all places, they chose New York. Dad told me that I seemed to enjoy my trip there before and I've become motivated to study so why not pay a visit again before going back to Korea.


Oh Dad, if you only knew! Your daughter lost her ity to some Llama in New York.


But what if.... I meet her again there? Will she recognize me? Will she fulfill that promise?


So I spent my 3 days in New York going to the places we visited before hoping that maybe I'll bump into her. But to no avail, no Llama running around New York. Tsk tsk.

 

I came to the Italian Diner where we had dinner before and the lady owner remembered me. I told her I already finished my schooling in Italy and it was my last night in New York before flying home to Korea. We converse a little and my dinner was free because she was happy to see me. She asked for my address in Seoul so that she can send a letter to me and other trinkets. I told her she can just e-mail but she said writing letters and sealing it in an envelope is better than typing it. I stayed for another 30 minutes just watching people pass by on the street. The truth is, I was hoping she will magically appear at the door and sweep me off my feet.


Maybe she's in Korea and I just have to find her. Who knows, I might bump into her in the subway?


I went home to Korea and stayed with Dad and Aunt Jessi. But of course it was a bit awkward especially if you hear them at night. And I was also trying to land a job on some Italian restaurants in the city. I was hired in a newly opened Italian Bistro owned by a nice woman named Jackie Liu. She's just 30 but she already have her own business. She found my résumé superb considering my achievements in school. I told her I don't mind starting at the bottom because that's what other chefs do and I also need some experience.


And... I got a new apartment! Actually, I decided to move out. Not because I don't like Aunt Jessi, Oh my God she was the best! Very caring to both of us Father and daughter and a good conversationalist too. She cares for me like I'm her own daughter and I'm happy about that. It's just that I have to give them the privacy they need. Because one time I walked in on them making out in the couch when I went home from work. Not good, I'm telling you. Not good. To the extent that I need to watch re-runs of Care Bears just to cleanse my mind on what I saw. Dad and Aunt Jessi was very apologetic and said it won't happen again but I told them maybe it's much better if I get my own place. Because I'll be busy with work and I want to be independent.


We went apartment hunting and settled for one near the Han river. I love it because the kitchen is spacious plus Dad is paying nyahahaha! Aunt Jessi helped me in decorating the apartment and in buying new furnitures even though she's busy with her law firm. Having her with me feels like I have a mother caring for me. I hope Dad marries her immediately so that i'll have a sister to spoil.


Work was fulfilling and my co-workers are all nice and fun to be with. We're all at the same age bracket except our Head Chef, so we kinda understood each other. I started as a Commis, doing things for the kitchen. Preparing tools, ingredients, and doing everything the Head chef tells me. Chef Eugene was very nice but strict at the same time. She really worked me up and gives some pointers to further improve my skills. She let me do some of the dishes and I didn't know it was a test to know if I'm ready to be her assistant.


After 6 months in work, I was promoted as Sous Chef. It was such a great feeling to be notice because of your skills. My co-workers said I deserve it because I work so hard and stay late at night just to practice and study. Chef Eugene said she saw something in me that made her secretly train me as her Sous chef. I worked hard as a sign of gratitude for what she and Ms. Jackie has done for me.


All that happened in a span of 5 years and still my heart yearns for her. I still dream about her at night most especially when I feel tired and just sleep when I reach home. She will enter my dreams and I will see her stupid smile shining at me, I can feel her hands squeezing my hands, and her soft lips crashing into mine. I'll wake up smiling because atleast even though it's only a dream, she can still put a smile on my face. I dream of making love to her, her touches, her kisses and assurance, her face. I wake up drenched in sweat and 'down there' that I always take a cold bath after it.


Six months after I became a Sous chef, Chef Eugene announced her retirement and her desire to build a family with her husband. They will be migrating to the US because all of her family members are already there. It was a sad moment for us in the kitchen but what she and Ms. Jackie announced shocked all of us, especially me.


With recommendations from Chef Eugene, Ms. Jackie appointed me as the new Head Chef and my friend Byul as the Sous Chef. At first I don't believe it. Why will they promote me that early? They can hire a much more experienced Chef than me.


They said they saw my potential the moment I walked in on that interview a year ago but I just have to be confident about myself. And with Chef Eugene's training and leadership plus the support of my colleagues, I nailed it.


So, I became one of the youngest Head Chef in Korea. Of course it didn't get into my head. I'm still the same Krystal they know, funny, bold, playful, but strict. Byul as my close friend keeps me company and we brought new dining experience to the customers. We were even featured in a magazine being young movers in the Culinary industry.


Sometimes when I ride the subway or the bus I wonder, what if she suddenly shows up? What if we bump into each other on Gangnam? Will she really kiss me in front of many people? I know it's a silly thing I said to her then. I was 18 and a hopeless romantic, watching too much movies got into me. But she sealed that promise, will she remember it?

 

 

 

Apgujeong-dong, Gangnam-gu Seoul


Present time


Author's POV


The dining area of Jackie's Bistro is full of lunch crowd ranging from Executives, young office workers, and some tourist wanting to satify their hunger and try the food the bistro offered. It's one of the most famous fine dining restaurants in the area, even celebrities and foreign delegates frequents the place. It's because of the atmosphere and the mouth watering dishes being cooked by Chef Krystal and her team.


Victoria the Maître d is busy handling the reservations and greeting the eager diners showing them to their respective tables. She also acts as the Manager of the bistro and handles complaints from customers. She has this regal charm that will make men sigh and nod their heads to her.


The dining staff consisting of Luna, Irene, Wendy, Minho, and Jonghyun are busy getting orders from the guests and suggesting their finest wines. But the real action starts on the kitchen.


The Head Chef, a stunning brown haired woman wearing her Chef's uniform like she's going to model for a magazine. It was just a regular attire, but she, wearing it makes the uniform so chic most especially if she wears it with a skinny black pants. Her hair tide into a bun, her lips rosy from all the lip biting she does. She's busy barking orders to her team consisting of Byul as her Sous Chef, Sehun and Kyungsoo the two Commis, Seulgi her Baker and Pattisier, and Solar the Pantry Supervisor.


"Listen guys! We're fullhouse this lunchtime. I want you to focus and I would like every dish ordered be out of that door in scheduled time and in fine quality. After all this ruckus, ill prepare Pasta and Pollo for our lunch later. Arasso?"


"Can you add pizza Cheffy? Just Quatro Formaggi? Please? " The doe eyed guy Kyungsoo said making an aegyo.


The Sous chef Byul twisted his ears and chuckled at him "Stop that, it's disgusting. I'll make Quatro Formaggi just stop that. Come on guys! Battle begins!" Orders started coming in and all of them became busy preparing the dishes.


Lunch time at Jackie's Bistro starts at 11:00 am til 3:00 pm. After that, the bistro will close and the whole crew will gather on the dining area to enjoy their lunch. It's a privilege for them being employees of the bistro quoting the owner Jackie Liu, 'How can you effectively sell your food if you don't even know how it taste?'. It's also the time of the day they catch up on the latest trends, what the customer on table 5 said about the Tiramisu, and for Chef Krystal to make notes on her book while eating her Bolognese. Victoria the Maître d is the one who hushes them whenever it became rowdy, all of them being young and playful.


"You should see the face of that guy when I told him Chef Krystal is busy inside the kitchen. He was crestfallen but when I told him that she's going to personally prepare his Ricotta Gnocchi his smile was wide as the Han river. Chef, you should show yourself to him just once! The guy might die without seeing you." Minho told Krystal while twirling his spaghetti on the plate and bringing it on his mouth.


Luna scoffed and raised her brows "That's the first time Mr. Park ordered something different from what he usually does. All he orders every day is Aglio Olio!"


Chef Krystal laughed softly brushing her hair back and tucking it on her ear making her even more beautiful. She lets it flow after every kitchen duty just to make it breathe. "You know I don't like being disturb in the kitchen. It kills the vibe... And I don't like hearing the same words and praises."


Kyungsoo in on the conversation with wide eyes "You really are something Chef! You're successful..--"


"I'm not.." Chef Krystal said without looking. She was engrossed in what she is writing on her notepad.


"You're one of the youngest head chef in the country!-"


"Okayyy..."


"You're pretty, smart, and talented!'


"I don't know about the talented part.." Chef Krystal snickered.


"You have everything!" Kyungsoo exclaimed with high pitch making his co-workers choke while drinking water.


Byul in "She has everything.... Except a lovelife."


"Yeah~ she needs a lovelife..~" Luna said in a sing songy voice making Chef Krystal throw a ball of paper on her.


Chef Krystal sat straight and took a sip of her wine "Why are you ganging up on me? Why don't you let Victoria have hers first-"


"Oh... She has a lovelife. And a life too if I may add haha!" Irene added while finishing her spaghetti.


"Vic!!!!?"


The Maître d flipped her hair and smiled cutely "What!? Of course I have a life, I have needs too! But I don't do relationships you know that."


The Chef pouted her lips in annoyance making her friends laugh at her. Who would have thought that this beautiful lady in front of them doesn't have any interest in hooking up with anyone else. Let alone have a boyfriend.


"Maybe you're still waiting for someone, don't you?" Byul asked while eyeing her friend carefully. She thinks she saw a blush crept on the Chef's cheeks but maybe it's because of the wine.


The Head Chef just shrugged and finished her wine. "I'm just busy... That's all." Her friends stopped asking her and switching about other topics. Byul saw the longing look on her friend's face while staring outside the street. She seems deep in thought, and sighed shaking her head.


"I think you're not telling something.. I'll make sure to know that before this day ends." Byul mentally said to herself while she put the forkful of spaghetti on .

 

 

 

 

 

-------------

Chef Krystal still waiting for her Llama 😪