Kimchi - 30

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Hey guys! First update for today :D

 

-----------------

 

 

"Am... We got a problem."


I'm looking at the clothes that Grandma provided and it felt strange. The undergarments are all new and in perfect size also the sleepwear. But there are no pants or blouses nor even T-shirts inside the walk-in closet.


All I can see are 6 sets of beautiful Hanboks carefully arranged side by side. Just all 6 of them like telling me 'pick me! pick me!'.


"Am!!! Get your cute here! This is a problem!" Amber came in on the closet wearing her singlet and boxers with a towel around her neck. Her hair still damps from the shower she had.


"Wae? Did you see my clothes?"


I took a deep breath trying to control my nerves. Am I going to wear Hanbok during our stay here?!


"Your clothes are all on this side and it's all normal. Mine are these!" I pointed at the colorful pieces of Hanbok in front of us. I don't know if I'm feeling nervous or what. I only wore a Hanbok once and that's back in High school when our school decided to have a festival.


I saw Amber smiling and shaking her head. "Krys... This is it. It's starting."


"W-what's starting?! What do you mean Am?"


"This is Grandma's 2nd test on you. The first one is when we are eating the cookies and when she made you guess the ingredients. This time she's making you wear these Hanboks and I think she's trying to see if you will whine and not wear this." I thought about what she said and it dawned on me. I think Grandma is testing me on random things, maybe to see if I'm really worth her grand daughter's choice.


I sighed. Well, the Hanboks are not bad at all. They are so beautiful and exquisite plus I'll only wear them in the daytime. She provided me with pajamas for sleeping so it's okay. Maybe I'll enjoy wearing these beautiful clothes.


I chose an ensemble of red Chima and an olive green Jeogori to top it. Amber helped me wore the traditional dress and tied the dark blue goreum neatly. Both of us looked at my appearance in the full body mirror, with Amber behind me holding my shoulders with adoration in her eyes.


"Wow... You look..."


"Ummm.. traditional?" I said raising my eyebrow.


"You look amazing... It's beautiful, you're beautiful Jung Soojung." Hearing her call me beautiful all the time makes me blush. I'm not really used to being praise but with Amber, I always make an exception.


"Jinja? Do I look trying hard?"


"No you're not, you're Krystal Jung the most beautiful girl on this planet. You're beautiful even if you get caught wearing a potato sack. And Grandma will be happy when she sees you. That's her precious Hanboks and she made you wear it so consider yourself lucky." She squeezed my shoulders and gave me a comforting smile.


After getting dressed we went to the main hall for dinner hand in hand. I'm really nervous right now as we enter the hall, nervous about what Grandma will say. Okay, Soojung, just trust Amber and everything will be alright.


Grandma was already there sitting at the head of the table waiting for us. As we enter, I can feel the gaze Grandma has been giving me. I felt shy when I saw her look at me from head to toe and nodded approvingly while smiling.


"G-good evening Grandma.." I bowed greeting her with a shy smile on my face. It feels like Amber and I are newlyweds and I'm here in my in-law's house to serve them like what I see on dramas. The only difference is I don't have to serve them because there's a lot of helpers around.


"Soojung! You look wonderful on that Hanbok! It fits perfectly on you too. Do you know that I had those Hanboks made for Amber? But obviously.." she sniggered looking at Amber who is scratching her head in embarrassment. Amber in a ladies Hanbok?! That will be the day! Hahaha!


"All are beautiful Grandma.. thank you for making me wear it. It's a big leap from wearing jeans and blouses. I think I'm liking it." Amber and I sat down on Grandma's left side and our mouth waters on the feast laid out on the table. Wow... As in wow.


There are all kinds of Korean dishes that some I don't know what is called. Then my eyes zoomed in on the meat being grilled in front of us by Grandma's assistant. Based on the redness and marbling of the beef, it is indeed fresh. Oh my... I'm in meat heaven!


"I hope you like the food we have tonight Soojung. Amber told me you like Korean beef that's why I asked my cooks to prepare the best Bulgogi for you and this meat being grilled now. We also have here my prized Kimchis that I personally prepared. Come on, try it and tell Grandma how does it taste!" I looked at the kinds of Kimchi laid in front of me and my eyes caught something.


Oh my goodness Lord please don't tell me it's what I'm afraid of.


Please Grandma don't make me eat that awful-looking Kimchi or I'll die in an instant! I mentally said to myself praying that Grandma won't notice that I'm going to avoid that eewwy thing. I went on to pick a piece of Baechu with my chopsticks placing it in my mouth. It was delicious, the best kimchi I ever tasted.


"So how do you find it Soojung, do you like it?"


"Ne, Grandma! It's the best kimchi I ever tasted!"


"Oh wait till you try the Oi-sobagi! You'll love it! It's one of my favorites. Come on, try it!" One big gulp. I think I felt some sweat rolling on my face right now. Grandma's face is a mixture of joy and excitement now and I don't want to disappoint her...


But Soojung... It's CUCUMBERS!!! Your worst enemy!!


I turned to Amber and she's looking at me worriedly and I know what it is.


Of all the tests you can give me Grandma!! Why does it have to be this!!! You could have asked me to solve a mathematical equation about the f(x) function and I'll work on it. Why does it have to be this!!! Why!?


I think Grandma saw the hesitation on my face and spoke "Soojung are you allergic to cucumbers? Don't you like it?" I'm not allergic to them Grandma, I hate them. Ottoke~


"Yeah Soojung, try it! Come on taste it because it's good!" Can I kill Amber now!? Can I kill her and wipe those grin away from her face?!


"Aniyo Grandma... Ahahahaha... I'm just taking my time to admire them. They look.... tasty." I grinned at her but deep inside I'm dying. I pick up a piece of the eewy cucumber and took a deep breath and stared at Amber like I'm saying goodbye.


Drama queen Soojung mode ON. I never thought I'll die getting caught eating cucumbers. Goodbye......


I see Amber clenching her teeth while I put the cucumber in my mouth, chewing it carefully then swallowing it.


Count to ten Soojung.


10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1


Okay, you're still alive!


It was delicious too but because it's cucumber I still don't ship it.


Remember this day Soojung and make Amber imprint this on her mind. You ate cucumber because of her... this is all for her Soojung!


"So how do you find it Soojung, tasty right?" I smiled at Grandma brightly and nodded. "Great! I'll make sure you get a lot of that Oi-sobagi when the two of you go home. You made Grandma happy Soojung.." T____T


"Ahahaha...Komawo Grandma!" I pinched Amber's thigh hard under the table making her wince and glared at her when Grandma is not looking. Amber grinned at me, knowing that she's dead later.

 

 


Oh, you are so dead later Llama!

 

 

 

-----------

 

 

We woke up early the next morning and Amber helped me again to wear my Hanbok. Then we went outside to greet Grandma a 'Good Morning' and had our breakfast.


After that, we toured the whole property and she showed us the place where we will make the Kimchi and her jars in the courtyard. All of her staff are busy preparing the tools and ingredients. Her assistant gave the three of us a pair of hand gloves each and we started the task.


I've never seen tons and tons of cabbages like this before. Grandma taught me how to do the whole process and I listened to her attentively. The ahjummas with us also guided me and I'm enjoying this whole kimchi preparation we're doing. Knowing that all the kimchi we did today will be distributed to those in need when winter comes. And plus I get to bond with Grandma over this one of a kind event. I didn't know having a Grandma is this fulfilling, she's a very good person and caring too.


"Soojung, I know you know what our family does. When Amber decided to give up all of her rights I was sad but happy at the same time." We were taking a break sitting on a bench under the Oaktree.


I followed Grandma's gaze and she was watching Amber rinse clean some of the cabbages with the help of the guards who participated. She has this loving smile on her face while looking at her youngest granddaughter.


"Amber told me about it when we got together. It's a dangerous world to live in and Amber seriously doesn't want anything to do with it, Grandma. She said she wants to live a simple life away from all of it. Amber was really bothered back then, thinking of what she will do. If she will choose the easy life with all the riches already laid at her feet or a life where she will be proud of herself because she did it without any help from your family."


Grandma smiled at me with sadness in her eyes and placed her hand over mine patting it. "Amber was the spoiled and sheltered child that her mother made before. I remember giving my daughter a lecture because she prohibits Amber to have friends or playmates. When she knew Jackie is a lost cause, her attention turned to Amber. She's molding the kid into a robot who will just say yes to whatever she says and do whatever she directs. When Amber had the chance to be away from her mother and stayed in L.A. that's when she started to rebel and enjoy what our riches can offer. She has no direction, no goals in life. Yes, Kyuhyun did teach her about art and history, and I'm happy about it. But Amber knows whatever she does, she will still end up doing what her mother wants for her."


"I'm actually against it making her the leader of this family." I looked at Grandma surprise at what she said. I thought all along she's the one pressuring Amber to take the position.


"But Amber said you were waiting for her decision and her mother told her you are getting impatient about it."


Grandma shook her head lightly and smiled at the sight of Amber all disheveled. "It was just my daughter who wants Amber to have the position. I don't approve of it because I want her and Jackie to live a normal life, the life I didn't have the chance to live. My daughter was closer to my husband than to me and she inherited his ways. I don't like it when she does those things in the company but I still approve of it because if I don't do it I will lose my grasp on the Board. It will be total chaos for the government. I tried so hard over the past years to clean that dark side of our family and I'm proud to say that I've succeeded. Only the construction company that my daughter is handling was left on that dark side."


"Why don't you just fire her on her position and change the whole company? I'm sure you have the right over it since you're the leader Grandma." Yeah, she can just kick my future mother-in-law's on the company then bam! It's over!


She chuckled at me and narrowed her eyes playfully "Soojung I could have done that earlier and save all of us from this mess. But believe me when I say that I can't. Because my sly and cunning husband made sure I don't have anything to do with that company. She molded my daughter like him and that company is the money machine. All those multi-billion Won contracts from the government are a quarter of the reason our family is still standing tall in this society. But I still handle the majority of it. I'm sure your father and stepmother told you about our family being untouchable especially in the justice system. Atty. Jessica Jung is intelligent enough not to handle that case against my husband's nephew. Their family is a bit crazy."


I thought about what she said. Grandma handles the majority of their riches while Mrs. Liu handles a quarter of it. She wants Amber to be the next head of the family. If Amber did what she wanted...


"I get it, Grandma. I know why her mother is furious with Amber when she forfeited her rights. Your own daughter wants your position through Amber. If Amber actually went on with her mother's plan, it's not only the construction company she'll have but also all the companies under you. She will be.." my voice trailed off when Grandma gave me a knowing smile and nodded her head.


"She will be powerful beyond compare. And continue what my deceased power-hungry husband failed to do. Sometimes I don't know if she's really my daughter or she exchanged with other babies in the hospital. Tsk tsk... She's a very intelligent and smart person but she uses it in a not so good way. I know what she did to you that day when she sent those men to scare you. And I'm glad you didn't bow down to her tactic. Now she's disturbing and trying to bring Amber's business down. I need to stop it immediately or she's going to make her daughter hate her forever."


I confidently smirk at her and held her hands affectionately. "I'm not afraid of her Grandma but I'm afraid for Amber. She's already hurt emotionally, I don't want the day to come that she's also going to be hurt physically. Mrs. Liu has to stop pushing Amber on the edge of the cliff she wants her daughter to fall on to thinking that Amber will come crawling back to her. Clearly, she doesn't know how persistent her daughter is to do what she wants in life."


"That's why I need you to do something for me Soojung. You're the only person I can trust Amber with now. Be strong for Amber and support her. She may look tough on the outside but she might crack when she can't hold it anymore. I have a plan that is going on right now and I want you to keep it a secret between us." She started to tell me about her plan and I'm speechless.


I am beyond amazed by what Grandma is telling to me now. She's basically moving heaven and earth with her plan and the outcome will be a huge disaster not just for the country but also for her family. But she's very determined to do it to end all the mess happening now. It's the only way to stop everything and start a clean slate for their family.


"I want you to slap on her face that Amber did a good decision to forfeit her rights. I want you to show her that you are Amber's right choice. I know Amber did choose right, because you and her are perfect for each other. I can't wait till the day that you get married and have kids. And I'm going to make sure that I will leave a good name for your children together and also for baby Patrick. So please hurry up and do it!" I laugh at Grandma's 'i-know-what-you-did-yesterday' expression and chuckled at her. That's embarrassing, really. How did she know about our little rendezvous yesterday? We made sure to be quiet...


"Grandma, even if we do want to have kids the way you want us to, please remember that both of us are girls. Even though you lock us in a room to exhaust ourselves to multiply it won't happen." I bit my bottom lip and told her about our little secret. "But... We are already planning it and went to a fertility clinic. I'm taking some vitamins to boost my fertility and Amber too. We just have to choose the right donor and maybe before the end of this year..." Grandma's eyes lit up with excitement and gave me a hug. It was comforting and I felt a sense of security and care with her hug. Her hug made me feel that I am already part of her family. It feels good having a Grandma like her.


"I'm willing to help the two of you just to push through with the treatment. Don't worry about the cost because I will take care of it. Just be healthy and don't stress yourself Soojung. And don't worry, you don't have to eat cucumbers again I promise." I pouted when she made me remember about last night. It was still fresh for me the nightmare of eating that eewwy vegetable.


"Grandma~ I'm sorry but I can't eat that again. I tried it last night so you wouldn't get mad at me. It was delicious but I really can't do it again. Cucumbers and I are not a good team. I'll eat all the kimchi you'll serve me but please don't make me eat Oi-sobagi again!" I whined at Grandma making her laugh loudly getting the attention of my girlfriend. Yes, we are this close now even though we only met yesterday and I don't care if I whine like a kid.


She patted my head adoringly and made me face her and saw me pouting "Aigoo this kid! "

 

We didn't know Amber was taking pictures with her phone until she called me and Grandma to pose for her.


"Come on Grandma! Smile and say, 'Kimchi!!'"


"Stupid kid! I'm too old for that!"


"Grandma just one.. and she'll leave us alone. Okay?" I hugged her sideways and she reciprocated it with a doting smile.


"Okay, 1,2,3, Kimchi!"


"Kimchi!!" We heard the click of Amber's camera and the moment was captured.

 

 

We took a quick break for lunch then continued on the task again. It was already past 4 in the afternoon when we finished the last of the cabbages and placed them on the jar. It was tiring but fun and I'll definitely do it again if given a chance.


"Am... I'm so tired... That's a lot of cabbage. I think I'm going to have a nightmare later." I said to Amber while I lie sprawled on our bed that night. I already took a bath and only wore my pajama top and undies. I'm too exhausted to move anymore.


Amber joined me in the bed and laid down beside me, pulling my body into a hug while I face her. "I'm proud of you Princess. You did a good job making all that Kimchi. And you made Grandma happy too. You seem to be very close to her now... What were you talking about a while ago under the Oaktree?"


"Jinja? About that... Grandma is a very good teacher Am. She taught me everything she knows about Kimchi and even told me to come back again. I already got us another visit next year." I know she's tired too with all the lifting she did but Amber's still smiling at me like she can still go on for hours. And I can't tell her about that secret.


"I'm sorry if she made you eat that cucumber. I know you hate it, baby. I thought you're going to say no when she told you to try it. Aw!" I smack her head and pouted at her.


"Stupid! It's because of you that I got to eat that eewy thing. Arrrgh! It's all your fault!"


"It's good for your health Soojungie, you should eat cucumbers once in a while."


"NO! Never!" There's no way I'll eat that cucumber ever again.


"But I'm proud of you Soojungie! You're very brave when you put that cucum-"


"Err... Please don't mention it again baby. I don't want to hear it again. Please don't... I can't.."


"Cucumber..." The llama whispered to my ear that made me pinch her sides.


"Stop!"


"Cucumber!"


"AMBER... I'm warning you."


"Cucumber... Cucumber... Cucumber... Cucumber..."


Ah.. the llama wants to play huh. Okay, let's play and see who's gonna win.


"One more mention Amber and you're gonna get it."


"What will big bad Dduddungie do~, " The llama asked me playfully with a cute voice.


"Dduddungie will wait for you to sleep then when you're already asleep Ddudungie will shove a cucumber in your mouth you llama!" I used all the energy I have left and push her back lying on the bed and straddled her.


"That's so lame Ddudungie... You have to step up your game.." she smirked at me.


"Oh, I'm not done yet...." I gave her the devilishly y look that she can't resist and pinned her hands over her head. I'm gonna make you pay for what you did Stupid but not now. I positioned my mouth beside her ears and whispered "When you're already asleep, I'm gonna do you soooo hard, that when you wake up in the morning you'll be sore that you.can't.walk.properly." I said those last few words emphasizing each word. "I'll even shove a cucumber in your . Be thankful I'm exhausted today or I already started to do you, AMBER." I saw my girlfriend swallow an invisible lump on and I smiled at her brightly.


"O-okay..."


"Good. Now hug me and let's snuggle~" I rolled to my side and hugged her burying my face on her neck, sniffing her freshly showered scent of mint and green tea with a winning smile.

 


Ah... Victory. ^_^v