Lavender - 26

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Hey guys! As promised here's the second update! 

"A mother's love for her child is like nothing else in the world. It knows no law, no pity, it dares all things and crashes down remorselessly all that stands in it's path." 

- Agatha Christie 

 

--------------------

 

 

"It's nice to see you again, S-soojung...."

 


Ohhh.... you got to be kidding me.... the last person on Earth that I don't want to see ever again is in front of me and smiling.

 


Like she didn't do anything.

 

Maybe she forgot about it?

 


Should I remind her how she broke my heart that day?


Should I tell her how I cried the whole night when I got home with fever?

 


How I shiver and cry because my heart broke in a million pieces hearing those words she told me that day.

 


How she left me to Dad and told him she doesn't want me.

 


"S-soojung.. Honey..."

 


I flinched at what she said. That endearment I don't like to hear. That's why I call Amber 'baby' 'babe' 'llama', I don't want to hear that word again.

 


I stared at her disapprovingly, shaking my head on what she's doing now. This is all just a dream, a very very bad dream.


The short lady stood up from her seat and excused herself. "Tiff, I'll leave the two of you here and talk. I'll be outside.." she looked at me and bowed.


I clenched my fist and looked straight behind her. I don't dare sit on the same table with her. We don't know each other, right?

 


"S-soojungie.... have--"

 


"It's Chef Krystal, my name is Chef Krystal Jung... Only 'family' and close friends can call me on my Korean name. Chef Tiffany.."

 


I take a good look at the woman in front of me. She's still beautiful even though she's already on her 40s. But her face looks stressed and I see some dark bags under her eyes. Her skin is still flawless, heck she looked fabulous and young at the same time.


"Chef K-krystal... It's been a while since we saw each other.."


"I'm sorry Chef Tiffany but this is the first time we have met. I hope you had a fantastic meal.. Excuse me..." I have to turn around or else I'll lose myself and spurt out inappropriate words to her.

 


"Wait! Krystal!" I felt a hand on my arm stopping me to go. I know it's her. I can smell the same scent I love to smell back when I was small. Lavender scent... It's still her favorite..

 


All the memories of my childhood with her came back to me. Her loving smile and hug when I successfully baked a batch of choco chip cookies, how she ran her hands on my hair when I lay my head on her lap on nap time. How she peppered me with kisses everytime she goes home with a box of chocolates for me.

 


I shook my head to get rid of all those memories and faced her. Tears are already running down on my face but I didn't mind it.


"LET GO OF ME!" I hissed at her with clenched teeth. The hurt is coming back again after all these years.


"Krystal please, honey... Talk to me.. I miss you so much.." I looked at her with pained expression. My heart is beating wildly with all the emotions I have right now.


"Don't call me HONEY!! You don't know me, remember?! Or maybe you forgot Chef Tiffany?! You don't know me that's why you asked for my name twice that day! "


"Krystal... Please forgive Mommy... I didn't mean what I said that day. I asked Sunny to follow you so that we can talk after but you don't want to talk. I even called your Dad that day and ask for you but he said you were sick." She was still holding my hands and I swatted it away forcefully. Based on her expression she was hurt but I don't care.

 


I'm beyond mad right now. Pissed off. Annoyed.

 


"Tell me Chef Tiffany, what do you want? After all these years, you suddenly appear and say I miss you to me? Is that a joke? Because if it is, it's a very cruel one. You know I was sick but what did you do?! You didn't do anything! You didn't care if I am sick, I was sick because I ran away from the venue even if it's raining hard outside. Because I want to get out and be away from you. Because you didn't ing acknowledge me!" Tears roll down continuously on my face. These feelings I've kept for so long released from the very depths of my heart.


She was sobbing uncontrollably while she try to reach for my hand but I swatted it away.


I looked straight into her eyes full of tears and said the words I wanted her to hear. "Because you BROKE my heart, Mommy.. You BROKE it when you and Dad had a divorce but even then I was still hoping to see you. I was quietly waiting for you to visit me or call me and ask me how I've been? What am I doing with my life? Did I do well with my exams? Do you have a boyfriend? Are you gay?! A 5 minute call will make a difference Mommy! But you didn't! Yes, you did sent cards. Birthday cards, Christmas cards, heck! Even Chinese New Year and Chuseok Festival! But I don't feel you in it. Because it didn't came directly from you! It doesn't have your beautiful handwriting I always admire. It was just plain cards with no emotions. And you BROKE IT AGAIN IN A MILLION PIECES WHEN YOU DID THAT TO ME THAT DAY!"


Someone suddenly came inside the room and it was Amber looking worried at us. She walked up to me and held my shoulders protectively. Thank God she's here or else my knees won't hold it anymore.
"Krys, please calm down.."


"Krystal I came here because I want to see you and apologize for what I have done. I have my own reasons why it happened and please just let me explain it to you.. I wanted to see you so badly but I can't! I was under contract, and they forbid me to talk about you or your Dad back then. Your Father and I, I don't want to hurt him further that's why I decided to end our marriage. We ended it in a good way and we are still friends. But you, it's a different story." I snorted at what I heard. She was still crying but I don't care. It's not enough, crying is not enough for what she did to me.


"Would you like me to remind you that you specifically told Dad that you don't want me? After the divorce settlement you just left the court without a second glance at me. Am I really a worthless person in your life that you just left me like that? I'm sure you regret listening to Dad and wished you push through with the abortion, right?!"


"Krys stop this now! Ms. Hwang please calm down.."


"No Amber! I'm going to end this all now! I'm going to pour all of this now! She needs to hear what I'll say because I kept this for a very long time...." I broke down,I can't deal with it anymore and just slid down on the floor and cried like a kid. Like what I used to do before when I remember her. All the pain of her leaving me, not freaking calling me, denying me. I can't.


I felt an arm encircling my body tightly and I know it's her. I can smell her scent. I want to push her away from me, far away from me.


But I can't. Because I miss these arms. This comforting hug that I've been missing for a long time. The warmth is still the same and her scent that makes me remember that when I was small I used to clung to her arms like this and cry when I have a nightmare, I clung to her when thunder strikes and I can't sleep, I clung to her when I miss her so badly that I don't want her to go back to work.

 


"I know I've been a bad mother to you Soojung... But I didn't forget about you even just for a bit.." I can hear her sobs near my ears and I just bit my lip to suppress my sob. "I always think about you every second, every minute, every hour, every day that God made. I was ambitious, I wanted everything in life. I wanted to be famous, I wanted to be rich and earn money so that I can give you everything. I want to give you the world, but because of that I became a monster. I became a bad mother to you and bad wife to your father." I took a deep breath and let out the sobs I've been suppressing. I can't find my voice anymore.

 


"When I was studying and living in the dorms, I always cry to sleep because I miss you. But I have to focus on my studies so that I can graduate and have a stable job to help your father. I motivated myself with the thought of you having a comfortable life and having everything you need. But because of that, I neglected you. I became greedy, I became hungry for more. I became associated with bad people that dragged me away from you and your Dad. They promised me fame, money, power. Yes I got it all, but I realized I was losing you and Taeyeon. It was too late, they threatened me that if I will cancel my contract with them they will harm you." I suddenly looked up to her with a frown on my face. Tears still rolling on her eyes as I stare at her with confusion.

 


"Ms. Hwang what do you mean?" Amber was still there holding my shoulders for support.

 


"It was a mafia and I owe them everything. They told me that If I cancel my contract with them and tell the police about their illegal doings, they're gonna kidnap Soojung and kill Taeyeon. That day when you saw me and your Dad arguing, I told him about it but he didn't listen. He thought I wanted to leave him because I have a new boyfriend. But the truth is, I wanted you to be safe away from San Francisco and away from all the troubles. That's why I put it on his mind that I want to leave him because of another man. When you told us to just divorce your words stab my heart like a dagger. Your eyes says it all that day, you were angry and disappointed at me. But I have to do it Soojung because I don't want you to get hurt! Because you are the most important gem in my life... Because I love you.."

 

 

 

 

Amber's POV

 


I can hear sincerity on every word that Ms. Hwang uttered to Soojung. She loves her daughter that she's willing to sacrifice everything even her life just to make Soojung safe. The only wrong move she made is being absent in her daughters' life for a long time.


Both of them are on the floor, my Soojung is sitting on the floor like a kid crying her heart out while being cradled by her mother. Both of them had been crying non stop while Ms. Hwang tells her side. I can't believe there are still people who does things like that, ruining lives and families.


I looked at Soojung and I know based on her expression she's listening to her mother's story. The walls she built all these years that they are not together is slowly crumbling down. Yes, she was hurt when her mother left her. She found warmth and love with Aunt Jessi but still, I know she craves for her mother's love secretly even though she tells herself that she hates her.


Ms. Hwang cupped her face with both hands and looked directly at her eyes "I purposely did that to you that day because I was afraid that they will do something to you. They are everywhere in the venue and if they knew that you were there they might harm you. I didn't sacrifice everything just for you to get hurt. I wanted to hug you so bad, to kiss you and to ask how have you been but I can't. When Sunny told me about what you said that day when she ran after you, I was so mad at myself. Because it's all my fault why you had that resentment on me. But please Soojung, believe me when I say that you are not a worthless person in my life.." she wiped Soojung's tears away with her thumb. I reached for the handkerchief on my back pocket and gave it to Ms. Hwang. She looked at me with gratitude and used it to wipe away the tears of her precious daughter.


"You are the most important person in my life... Yes it's true that I once tried to undergo that abortion but I realized that it's stupid and I shouldn't have thought about it. I was young and naive with a lot of dreams to fulfill and goals to achieve. I was afraid that time because my own family here in Korea will disown me if they find out I got pregnant. You're father came in at the right time and stopped me, put some sense on me. I regret even thinking about getting rid of you because feeling your kicks in my stomach reminded me that life is beautiful and it will even be more beautiful because God gave you to me to take care of. Even though you and your Dad left and settled here, I still call your Dad to check on you. To ask how you are doing with school, what is happening with your life, if you already have a boyfriend,... Or girlfriend.." Ms. Hwang looked at me and I suddenly became shy and scratched my neck. I heard Soojung chuckled and I knew she's okay now.


"I was so proud of you when your Dad told me that you won a scholarship to study in Italy, I saw my young self in you. I wanted to study in Italy too but I didn't had the chance. I wanted to tell your Dad how happy and proud I am with your achievements but I can't because Nick is with me inside our room and listening to our conversation. That why all I have said is non-sense words to further hurt you. When you were in Italy I made sure that you are safe. Me and Nick were already having a rough patch in our relationship and I had help from someone to finally free me from the grasp of his group. Nick is a well known philanthropist but what they didn't know is he's also a mafia leader. I hired someone to keep track of you and keep you safe from all danger. I don't know if you remember him but his name is Pietro, he was an undercover in your Institute so he can keep you safe.." I saw Soojung's face suddenly lits up remembering maybe the person her mother just said.


"Yes I remember him, I turned him down when he confessed to me.." WHAT!?! That Pietro guy confessed to her and he's also her unknown bodyguard?! Tssss.... Good thing he was turned down.


"I know he did... But he's gay. He just wanted to befriend you so it will be easy to keep watch on you." Oh good he's gay. "I went to Italy to see you, I even talked to the Director of the Institute to have a seminar on your school but I did that to make as a cover. I just wanted to see you and check on how you have been doing. I was so sad when you didn't attend the seminar. I watched you from afar studying and said to myself that after all this storm in my life is over I will seek you and explain everything. I was even more proud when I saw you go up the stage on your graduation and be given that medal of excellence. It was the proudest moment of my life even from afar. I was just contented with seeing you from that vantage point. It took me a year to finally get out of our marriage and be free again with the help of a friend."


She lovingly gazed at her daughter and brushed the strands away from Soojung's face. "Soojungie mommy did everything to faced you again and to ask for your forgiveness. I know it's too late, I already missed a lot of things in your life. But please give me a chance to make it up to you. Please forgive me... Forgive Mommy, Soojung..." Ms. Hwang hugged Soojung tightly. I can see the walls that Soojung put up on her mother came crashing down in an instant as her arms slowly closed in and answered the hug of her mother sobbing. It was a bittersweet reunion for both of them.

 

 

 

 


"Just ..... Don't leave me again. Don't ever leave me again Mommy.." I smiled at the sight of them being together again.

 

 


It took me a great deal of time and courage to ask Uncle Taeyeon about Ms. Hwang. When I told him I wanted to contact his ex-wife for Soojung to finally have a closure, he was undecided. He said he doesn't want his daughter to be hurt again. I told him that Soojung had been having some nightmares for the past week screaming on her sleep like calling for someone to get back. She'll be crying non-stop after that and cry herself to sleep. Then in the morning she'll forgot all about it like nothing happened. Aunt Jessi helped me and persuaded him. He gave me her number and I built the courage to contact her. I met with Ms. Hwang and talked to her and she explained all the things that happened before. She was hesitant at first, afraid of how her daughter will react. But I told her sooner or later she has to do it. For her daughter's sake and for her sake too.


Soojung can't live quietly without closing that chapter on her book. If she wants to be part of her daughter's life she has to do it now and ask for forgiveness. Her friend was also present then and I knew him very well from before. He was one of my professors in Cambridge, tall, dark, good looking guy same age as Uncle Tae with a warm smile on his face. From what I know, his family is well off and powerful too. They are based on Japan, Korea, and England. How they met is unknown to me but when they looked at each other I saw something in their eyes that means they have deep feelings for each other.


Looking back to the mother and daughter who is now standing up, I don't regret doing it for Soojung. I know she'll be hurt from the start but it's better for her to release everything she built up for the past years. After that they can start again and build new memories together.


I love her so much and I'll do anything for her just to make her feel complete again.


I never thought that one of my wishes last night will come true that instant.