Bagels - 1

Of Hotdogs, Bagels, and Basil

A/N: Annyeong chingus! I'm back with another story! Let's start our chapter by knowing our heroine, Krystal Jung Soojung and see how it all started. 

Thank you to our subscribers, I hope you'll like my first chapter. 

Subscribe, comment, holler! ✌

 

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

 

 

Krystal's POV


2009, 8:00 am


John F. Kennedy International Airport

jfk-airport-transportation.jpg



"Freedom!!!!!" I shouted at the top of my lungs with a closed fist and two arms raised once I stepped out of the airport and saw the bright skies of New York.


I left my suitcase at the Baggage area so that I can move freely while I take a tour of the city. I'll just claim it later before I board in again. Taking with me some needed essentials like my cellphone, camera, lip gloss (of course!), wallet and passport.


Since I still have 14 hrs to spare before I fly again to my original destination, I plan on taking a tour in the city. Most especially in Central Park. I've always dreamed of going there and just lost myself in it's beauty and glory. Then take a peek on some of the museums they have here.


This trip was a graduation gift from my Dad, well the plane ticket and pocket money. He knows that I've been dreaming of going here since I was a kid. He wanted to accompany me because he was thinking about my safety but I told him I can do it alone. And besides he's busy with the big case he's handling right now I don't want to bother him.


And I'm 18 for godsakes! I can do it I assured him. It will be like an appetizer before i head on to the main course. I can speak the language perfectly since I was raised in San Francisco and studied til middle school before we moved to Korea. And there's a MAP. Pheww!


I walked to the available taxi and entered it. The driver was a middle age brunette with a bright smile on her face.


"Good morning sweetheart! Where to?"


I smiled at her and sigh. "Take me to Central Park mam!"


"Central Park it is!" She gave me a thumbs up and started to drive the car. I opened the window to feel the wind on my face. So this is what it feels like to be traveling alone. No sermons from OCD parents, you can do all you want without nagging, you handle your time and eat whatever you want. Speaking of eat, I'm a bit hungry. I rubbed my aching belly shouting for breakfast. I only had coffee and biscuits while in flight. Better grab some quick breakfast before I start my tour.


"Are you hungry sweetheart? I suggest you have a Bagel and coffee later when I drop you off in the park. It's always a good match while strolling there I'm tellin' yah! " Maybe she heard my cookie monster-like stomach grumble that's why she said it hehe.


"Yeah.... I kinda skipped a meal while I'm on the plane a while ago. It was a long flight though.." I answered her while i looked outside the window of her taxi.


"Solo traveller huh.. Where you from sweetheart?"


"I flew from Seoul but I'm actually from SanFo.."


"I knew it! Your Californian accent gave you away but you looked like a KPop idol by the way sweetheart. Are you?" She looked at me from the rear view mirror and I sort of blushed with what she said.


I'm at fair height, my hair long and raven black. I got my features from my Dad but the stubbornness from my Mom. Some of my high school classmates says I looked like Yoona from SNSD but I just shrugged it off.


"Oh, gosh no.. no I'm not. Haha... But thank you for that." I shyly grinned at her.


She continue on our driving and a few more minutes and New York traffic, we arrived at our destination.


Central Park.

central-park-fall1.jpg


I paid for my cab fare and said goodbye to the nice lady driver. She wished me luck and said "I hope you enjoy your stay sweetheart. Who knows, you might meet someone who will make your stay memorable. " With that she drove away to the streets of the city. Weird but nice.


I took a deep breath and closed my eyes welcoming the cold air that the city has to offer. It's sunny but a bit cold, good thing I wore my jacket and scarf when I went out the airport. The weather forecast I saw on the flight was right but still it won't hinder me from exploring this part of the city.


My stomach grumbled again scolding me for not feeding it. Great I'm hungry.


Like the cab lady said I looked for a nearest coffee shop and entered it looking at the menu. I can settle for an Iced Americano and Bagel while I roam around the park then look around the nearest museum.


There was a line but it's not that long and I'm not on a hurry. Once I've reached the counter I gave them my order and paid for it. A few minutes more and it was given to me and I said my thanks.


As I was getting out of the cafe, a kid suddenly bumped into me landing on the floor. She seems going to cry.... Omo... Don't....


"Stacey! I told you not to run but you didn't listen to me!" I believe it's her mother and she picked up the kid who is already tearing up. The mother smiled at me apologetically "I'm sorry girl she didn't mean it."


"That's okay I know she didn't. I hope she's fine, she's tearing up. Bye Stacey.." the kid purse her lips to me and stuck out her tongue. Really!? Kids these days tsssss.... I waved at her and went out the cafe immediately walking to the park.

 

Wow.... I know this park is huge. As in huge that walking here will be tiresome. I plopped myself on the grass under a tree overlooking the buildings and lay down with arms stretched. I love this feeling.... It somehow makes me forget of all the harsh realities of life.


I sat down and ate my Bagels while sipping my Iced Americano, watching other tourists and some families stroll in the park. Some are couples just lying on the grass lazying around. I see an old man sitting on the bench reading a newspaper. Some joggers running around the path and mothers pushing their babies on strollers. Different kinds of people doing their thing in their own world. I saw a mother putting a scarf on her cute daughter giving her a kiss on the nose and the kid smiled widely. I wish Mom was like her......

 

 


My name is Krystal Jung Soojung, 18 years old and just graduated from High School. My Dad and Mom are already divorced and that led us to move to Seoul. Dad is a successful Lawyer who handles big cases while Mom is a renowned Celebrity Chef and Socialite. That was after they divorced.


Before the divorce, Dad was a struggling lawyer in San Francisco earning enough money for our family. Mom on the other hand is already a Chef on a five star restaurant and is always busy with work. She wants to be renowned and have her own cooking show so she build up her connections meeting businessmans, entertainment people, restaurateurs.


Mom is a perfectionist. I remember I was 9 and we were in the kitchen. She will teach me the proper way of handling a knife and slicing an onion. In doesn't matter to me if tears are already rolling in my eyes because of the onions. What matters to me is Mom's approval of what I've done. But it always ends up with her telling me 'Krystal that's not correct!' 'Krystal how many times I told you that you cut it Julienne style!' 'Krystal! You'll never be a good Chef!'


I was never good enough to do what she wants. I admit, I love cooking. The feeling of cooking a dish and making someone feel good while they eat what you made. Like how a plate of spaghetti makes a kid happy.


The divorce happened citing 'Ireconcilable Differences'. How lame, right? Mom specifically told Dad to take me with him because she doesn't have time for me. She wants to live her life like before when they got married and to realize her dream of being a Celebrity Chef.


Sometimes I wonder, Is that lady really my Mom? Did she even love me?


Dad and I went to Korea and he continued his profession and made him the most trusted and successful Lawyer in the country while I study High School. I continue on practicing my cooking skills with Dad being my taster and critic. It's great actually because we live alone, I cook and clean the house while he's in the office. Dad does the laundry and other stuffs. We live a simple and uncomplicated life without Mom and we are happy.


I was already in High School when I saw her on the news. 'Renowned Celebrity Chef Stephanie Hwang - Waldorf will visit her home country Korea and will do a fansigning event. She will also launch her new cook book.' The TV flashed Mom's photo with her new husband a very old American Philanthropist. I heard Dad snickered and shook his head.


"Soojungie.... Don't you miss your Mom?" Dad asked me out of the blue but I just kept my eyes glued on the TV.


I do miss her but.... Does she miss me?


"Would you like to see her when she visits? I bet she misses you badly. She's just busy that's why she haven't called you or ask how have you been." This what I love about my Dad - he's still a good guy even though his ex-wife practically left him for an ancient man. I didn't heard a single bad word from his mouth about Mom.


Yah sure.. She remembers me. With all the generic Birthday Cards and Christmas cards every year with a typewritten message of Happy Birthday and Love, Mom on it. I'm not dumb to notice that it's probably her secretary who does it.


Maybe when she sees me she'll be ecstatic and happy on how I grew to be pretty. Maybe, just maybe she'll be proud of me as her daughter.


"Can I, Dad?" I looked at him with hope in my eyes and he smiled at me kindly.


"Of course Soojung, you can."

 

 

 

 

I remember it was a rainy day. Dad dropped me off in the mall where the launching of her cook book and fan meeting will be held. First 100 buyers will have a chance to have a photo and autograph signing with her. Luckily I was the 100th buyer so I had the chance to be closer to Mom.


I was nervous and fidgety. It's been a long time since I've seen her, the last time was when we were at court when the final decision on their divorce was given. She just hugged me and kissed me on my forehead and went out the door of the court house. I realized I do miss her now.


The crowd was now buzzing and when she emerged from the back of the stage screaming fans and cooking enthusiasts spazz at her presence.

 

She still has that eyesmile that I love seeing when I was a kid when I have done something she approves. She still looks young, but again, she is since she had me when she was 18.


She talked about her career and her new book and how it feels being home in Korea. She laughed with her fans and answered questions. I was just there in the corner not wanting her to see me in the crowd.


The fansigning started and i went in line waiting for my turn while I clutch her book on my chest. What will I say to her? Will she hug and kiss me? Does she miss me?


The girl in front of me was now finished and the moment Mom's eyes landed on me it became different. She was still smiling but there was shock, replaced with awkwardness upon seeing me. I moved to her and gave the book for her signature while smiling, happy to see my Mother again for a long time.


"H-hi Mo--"


"Hi there! Your name please?"


Those words froze me in place with a knife stabbed in my heart. My name? She's asking for my freaking name!?


"Hello there young lady, your name please?" She still has the same look but I notice nervousness in her. Nervous that the people will know you have a daughter you left?!


I cleared my throat and looked straight into her eyes, making her know that it will be the last time we will meet again.


"Krystal, Krystal Jung Soojung,... Ms. Tiffany." Her eyes suddenly went wide but she hided it with a fake smile.


"K-krystal it is. Thank you for buying my book." She gave me the signed book and without looking I grabbed it and went out of that event away from the woman I once called Mom.


I was already walking out of the venue when someone called me. It was a short girl with blonde hair but I know she's Korean by the looks of her. Probably bleached.


"Excuse me! Are you Krystal?" The girl was speaking in English so I answered her back in the language I grew up with.


"Yes, why?"


"Ms. Stephanie said that you wait for her. She wants to talk to you after the event." She was already ushering me back but I didn't let her and stood my ground.


"I'm sorry Ms. -"


"Sunny! Call me Sunny!" She smiled warmly at me.


"Ms. Sunny... I'm sorry but please just tell her I can't. I have to be home because I need to study." I turned starting to walk away when she called me again.


"Your Mom - I mean Ms. Stephanie wants to see you because she misses you.."


Wow. Really. That's a good welcome-i-miss-you greeting she gave me there.


I stopped from my tracks and spoke to her without turning around.


"I don't have a Mom."


I walked out and went straight to the bus stop drenched without looking back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I was broken out of my revelry when a husky voice, -well it sounds like a guy so maybe he's a guy but it sounds feminine though- spoke near me.


"Excuse me..... I think you dropped something....."

I turned to the owner of the voice and my eyes landed on a handsome creature in front of me. 

 

 

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆∆

Thank you for reading guys! Now that we have met Krystal, let's meet Amber later. 

Ciao! ✌