Chapter XXVIII

Save me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

I WANT TO BREATH I HATE THIS NIGHT.

 

It was raining cats and dogs that night.

 

Lightings and thunders covered the dark sky. There were absolutely no people around but cars going up and down the hill furiously fast just to get home safe and healthy. There were a few streets and shops closed due to a statement coming from the South Korean government in the afternoon, saying: 

 

“Due to the sudden bad weather, we invite the employers to let the workers go home before the storm begins, because we are not sure if the streets will endure the heavy rain (...) , that's why the transport will going to be cut early. To all the citizens please stay in doors today  (...).”

 

 

The bad weather came in such a rush that it was the only strategy they could use to protect their citizens.

 

But Donghae was in a restaurant close to downtown when the storm started. He was discussing some business with his boss and other executives about associate with them in the campaign of a new technology product. The reunion was going so smoothly for him and his boss and when the bad weather hit they stayed for some other minutes to have some quality time with their new partners.

 

“I guess this was a total success” The old man wearing a black suit said. “I’m glad we can talk it out”

 

“We spend more time that we needed” The other one joked. “But to be honest, I will not reject another bottle of wine”

 

“Mr. Park likes alcohol, I believe”

 

They laughed together.

 

“You are absolutely right Mr. Yang, big fan of wines most say”

 

“I’m more a champing man” The other one said. “What about you Donghae?”

 

“Oh... I’m kind of simple” Donghae answered a bit embarrassed. “I’m good with a Corona”

 

The old men applauded at the same time. “Simple but with a good taste on beer, young man”

 

He lifted his beer in the direction of Mr. Park with a smile and so did the man.

 

Suddenly a lighting illuminated the streets with a strong noise.

 

“Wow” Mr. Park said. “That was a strong one”

 

Donghae stayed in silence watching out the window when he spotted the figure of a child standing up beside a trash can on an alley. He frowned, thinking he was just seeing things but when he looked closer the kid was still there watching side to side, like waiting or looking for something. 

 

What is a little kid, not older than six years standing under the rain? He slowly stood up.

 

“Eh… gentlemen, it was a pleasure to spend this time with you but I believe I need to go”

 

Mr. Yang, his boss waved his hand at him. “Oh sure Donghae” He stood up. “He just got married, he needs to go and attend a wife, huh?” The others laughed.

 

Donghae did the same. “Yeah, that’s the truth”

 

After that, he said his farewells, grabbed his coat and umbrella and let the group of men talking about how rich they were, who knows more about liquor, who spends more time overseas and those things rich people do. But he was still young to actually be in their position and besides he needs to know where that kid came from, who let him there and who will soon go to jail because he won’t let this slide so easy.

 

He opened his umbrella and ran to the other side of the street and the kid was still looking at the sides, not really paying attention to the man who was coming close.

 

The water stopped crashing against his wet little hair and that’s when he noticed the person in front of him.

 

“Champion, what are you doing here?” Donghae asked, ducking in front of the child while the umbrella covered both.

 

“I’m waiting for my mommy” The child responded.

 

“Under the rain?”

 

“Yes” The kid nodded.

 

Donghae looked to his sides as well but didn’t saw anyone around. The streets were clean empty. “At what time was that?”

 

“Before the storm”

 

“Champ that was 10 hours ago”

 

“But my mommy said she would come back”

 

Dongahe took his coat and wrapped it around the kid’s little body. He already knew what had happened here and he was slowly feeling a little bit of rage.

 

The kid accepted the coat because he was really cold.

 

“You must be hungry” Donghae said, trying to give the kid a bit of heat with his hands on his arms. “You want to get something to eat?”

 

The kid nodded slowly. “But I want to wait for my mom”

 

“Let’s make a deal, I was thinking to go to McDonalds’, do you like McDonalds’?”

 

“I like McDonalds’” The kid mumbled.

 

“Good, so why don’t we go to McDonalds’ and after you eat we come back here to wait for your mom, is that ok with you?”

 

“What about if my mommy comes back when I’m in McDonalds’?”

 

“She will wait for you, just like you did for her”

 

The kid looked at his sides again, then he looked at Donghae and nodded.

 

“What’s your name?” The kid asked as he took his hand.

 

“Donghae” The adult answered. “What’s yours?”

 

“Min Yoongi!” The kid answered with a smile.

 

“Uh… nice to meet you Min Yoongi” Donghae said with a smile as they walked. “You look like you love your name, huh?”

 

“I like my name, my mommy named me like that”

 

“I bet she loves you very much”

 

“Yeah, my mommy loves me; that’s why I don’t know why she hasn’t come back”

 

“She must be busy”

 

They walked towards a kids’ store placed at one corner. On the way, Donghae noticed the kid was still watching the place he was standing on minutes ago, not very convinced on letting his mom wondering about his whereabouts but… aw, the kid was really hungry, he had been standing there for 10 hours straight waiting for a mother that Donghae knows won’t comeback.

 

NO MOTHER LET HER CHILD STANDING UNDER A VERY BAD WEATHER.

 

“Champ,” Donghae said duckling again. “I think we need to buy you some clothes, you’re wet and you can catch a cold”

 

“I have clothes in my bag” The kid turned around so Donghae could see his bag.

 

He smiled. “Yeah, Champ, I know but those can be wet too. You’ve been staying under the rain too long”

 

Little Yoongi looked inside the store and then Donghae and the store again; maybe he was wondering why this guy was so good with him. “Can I pick?”

 

“Sure, but I think you need to take off those first, they won’t let us in”

 

“I won’t get on the streets!!” Yoongi protested.

 

Donghae covered his laugh with his hand. “Let’s bottom the coat and you can take your clothes under it and no one will see”

 

Yoongi looked at his sides again. “Are you sure?”

 

“Positive”

 

So Yoongi did what Donghae told him. The clothes he was wearing were wet as hell; so much that Donghae had to squeeze the fabric to let the water it absorbed go on the floor. The kid started to shake and as fas as they could they entered the store that was warm enough for him to feel a bit better.

 

Donghae sited the kid on his shoulders and walked around the store so the kid could choose what he wanted.

 

“Just some jeans and a shirt, nothing major, ok, Yoongi?”

 

“Yeah” The kid answered and then pointed. “That one! I want that shirt”

 

“Which one?”

 

“The one with the micopone”

 

“Microphone…” Donghae giggled on the bad and cute pronunciation. “Do you like microphones?”

 

“Yeah, micopones!!”

 

Donghae giggled again.

 

They looked for a normal jean. He wore what Donghae bought for him and after that, they went for McDonalds’ as Donghae told him to. He was so happy to be there, like any kid would be. He asked for a complete tray with the hamburger, the chips and the soda; then ran faster to get a place to eat.

 

“Why you didn’t order anything?” He asked his mouth full of tomatoes sauce.

 

“They don’t sell what I like” Donghae pouted. He only ordered a soda.

 

“What you like?” Yoongi asked with his mouth fool.

 

“Don’t ever do that again, it’s rude”

 

Yoongi nodded cutely.

 

“I like nachos, and they don’t sell nachos, at least not in this McDonalds’”

 

“What is a nacho?” He said after swallowing his meal.

 

“A nacho is a triangular fried cookie with cheese on top”

 

“Sounds yummy!”

 

“It is” Donghae smiled.

 

“Can we get something for mommy?”

 

His smiled faded away. How can he tell this kid what he is thinking?

 

“She must be hungry too”

 

Donghae kept in silence. “Maybe she already eat”

 

“You think?”

 

“Yeah, mothers also eat”

 

“Ok” And he continue eating in silence.

 

But Donghae noticed he was eating so quickly, like desperate.

 

“Don’t eat too quickly, take it easy”

 

“I have to, mommy can be waiting” He said again, after he swallowed the meal.

 

After they ended up dinner and the kid was satisfied, they walked to the parking lot, got inside Donghae’s car and then he pulled over the side walk, in front of the alley the kid was standing up minutes ago. He convinced Yoongi to stay inside the car so he won’t get wet one more time.

 

He was glued to the window and moving around to have a clear sight of the street to see if his mom was coming.

 

But what was 11:56PM, turned into 2:34A.M waiting for someone that it looked like will never appear. Donghae was struggling to stay up but sometimes he had to sleep between minutes to rest for a bit. He is sacrificing his rest hours for this kid but in his insides its’ totally worth it.

 

It’s sad to be witnessing something like this.

 

He could hear the kid started to cry.

 

“Mommy?” He asked as the tears started to flow out. “Mommy!!!” He started to yell.

 

Donghae didn’t say anything and pulled the window down for him to yell to the empty streets.

 

This time not even cars were around.

 

“Mommy why are you not coming?!!!!!” He yelled again, his voice cracking in the process. “MOM!!!!” He started to kick the air in frustration as his lamentations were louder each second.

 

And then…

 

“I want to go” Donghae heard and he turned around to see him. There were tears on his eyes and some of them falling over his cheeks. He looked gloomy and tired.

 

“Are you sure, Champ?”

 

He nodded. “She won’t come” He whispered. “She won’t come!!!” he yelled.

 

Donghae turned his body to face him. “Champ, calm down”

 

“No! She forgot about me!!” He started to kick again, clearly having an outburst.

 

“Yoongi calm down!” Donghae’s authoritarian voice sounded and made him stop. “That won’t change the situation, ok?”

 

Yoongi breathe fast and looked at his lap.

 

Donghe turned around and started the engine.

 

When they arrived to his house, he parked the car inside the garage and slowly took his seatbelt off but stayed with his head resting on the backrest of his seat. Yoongi was looking outside the window and then looked at Donghae’s direction.

 

His eyes were puffy but at least he calmed down.

 

“Tomorrow I’ll take you to the police station”

 

“No…” Yoongi whispered.

 

Donghae looked at him through the reviewer mirror. “Yoongi, is the right thing to do. How old are you? Six?”

 

Yoongi nodded.

 

“You’re under age. What happened is wrong. We have to go to the authorities”

 

“No, I want to stay with you” Yoongi looked at his lap again.

 

Donghae breathed deeply and let out a soft whisper. “Come on” He said and opened the door.

 

As they entered in the house, Yoongi felt a sensation of warm inside his body but he also was confused about the situation. Where was his mother? Did she really forget about him? Did something happen? He was praying for Donghae to be around all the time to find out.

 

He grabbed Donghae’s pants tight as he closed the door.

 

Suddenly a girl appeared coming down the stairs with a worry expression.

 

“Honey!” She said and Yoongi hid behind Donghae.

 

“Hey baby” Donghae smiled and when the girl reached the living room, he kissed her on the lips.

 

“What happened? Where were you? I was so worried” She said as she cupped Donghae’s face.

 

“Uh…” Donghae caressed Yoongi’s hair as he was hiding behind him. “Sandara, something happened”

 

Sandara eyes got wide open. “A lost son?” She asked lowly.

 

Donghae chuckled. “No, no, I’ll tell you later” He proceeded to introduce both. “Yoongi, she’s my fiancé, Sandara”

 

Yoongi was death silent.

 

“Hi…” Sandara said as she got close to him and caressed his hair but Yoongi avoided her look. “Explain this please”

 

“I’ll do it” He said grabbing Yoongi’s hand and leading him upstairs. Yoongi still clinging on Donghae’s pants which for Sandara, even though she is a bit puzzle, looks cute. He walked him to a grand bedroom and opened the door for him.

 

“You’ll sleep with us tonight, ok?”

 

Yoongi nodded quickly.

 

 

 

Little Yoongi opened his eyes two hours later. He slept close to Donghae all this time, like he didn’t want to lose him and if he does, he would flip out. But strangely, he didn’t flip out when he found himself alone in the grand bedroom where Donghae and Sandara were minutes ago. He remembers that as soon he touched the bed and felt Donghae resting his body on the mattress he fell sleep.

 

No wonder he was so tired of everything.

 

He slowly went down the bed and opened the door to hear voices down the stairs.

 

It was a female and male voice.

 

He was about to run down so he could see Donghae but what he heard stopped him.

 

“I’ll take him to the police station as soon as he gets up” Donghae said.

 

“No, honey…” Sandara spoke. “He’s ok with us here”

 

“Yeah baby but his mother abandoned him. That’s a crime. Police needs to look for her and make her pay”

 

Yoongi gasped.

 

“Yeah but that also means they will take Yoongi to a foster house”

 

“Well, if that’s so, it would be easier for us to adopt him”

 

“It’s not that simple Hae” She made a pause. “Did you saw how he was so close to you? He already have affection towards you, you can’t abandon him like his mother did”

 

“It’s different, Sandara”

 

“No, it’s not, it’s the same” Sandara made a pause again. “Please, let him stay. I’m sure he wants to stay”

 

“Dara… it’s dangerous for us to do that. What about if his mother appears out of nowhere and claims we kidnapped him? We didn’t said anything to the police and that makes us an easy target”

 

“She won’t be back, I know”

 

“The possibilities are 50-50 baby. You know that too”

 

 

 

The police station is a cold and out of grace place. He had never been on those places befor

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter