On Sunny Days (ToBae)

Love In The Dark - A Series of Drabbles

Rating: PG
Word Count: 1135
Genre: Fluff
Summary: TOP's different on sunny days and rainy days.
AN: Because I associate the rain and romance. Like seriously. I already want another rain-based fic. Rain ? IDK. Written for [info]ymo1557 's challenge, prompt: On Sunny Days.

 

On sunny days, YoungBae could expect TOP to get out of bed late like always, shuffle into the kitchen blearily, and mess up the maknae’s newly styled hair, earning a cry of protest from the younger and a snort of laughter from the elder. YoungBae had always admired the dynamics of the relationship the two Seunghyuns shared. It didn’t help that TOP was nearly as childish as SeungRi.

The day would go on as usual, perhaps a performance or an interview for the band, and a night of brotherly bonding, more often than not instigated by a ridiculous proposal from the maknae, but which the members agreed to anyway. YoungBae amused himself during these little games, never one to really get into them, by watching JiYong flirt with his boyfriend whilst watching his object of affection out of the corner of his eye.

Then YoungBae’d be the one to notice how late it was getting, and the maknae’s little game would come to an end, JiYong and SeungRi retreating into their shared bedroom, YoungBae getting ready for bed with DaeSung as TOP retired into his private room. And then it would start up the same the next day as well.

It was the rainy days that YoungBae feared.

The quiet days that YoungBae spent glancing at TOP’s closed door. The days when it was just him and DaeSung in the living room, watching TV listlessly. He never knew what it was that TOP did in his bedroom all day, seeing as he never came out, but YoungBae couldn’t help but think that it wasn’t anything good. He never tried to bother the elder; he never got any response anyway.

YoungBae didn’t know that TOP wasn’t even in his room at all.

---

Rain was one of TOP’s worst enemies. The soft pit-pat of little water droplets drove him insane, like the never-ending drip-drip of a leaky faucet that sounded in the background. TOP had woken up at ungodly hours so many times because of it, cursing the rain and the gods who controlled them, wondering if they could just shut the hell up. Normally a heavy sleeper, rain was the one thing that could be sure to wake the late riser. Headphones and earplugs didn’t help either; it was like TOP’s body could sense it when the skies began to cry.

That was why TOP had taken to leaving the apartment whenever he was awoken by the rain, climbing up the many stairs (too lazy to use the elevator), and sitting himself right there on the roof and watching as those dreaded raindrops quickly soaked him through to the bone as though the rain called to him.

TOP never really was the poetic type, no matter how smooth his rapping was.

He didn’t really know why he did it, he just did. No one ever found out, anyway, they had all assumed that the oldest hyung in the apartment hid in his room all day, not caring enough to actually break down the locked door and find an empty room and no TOP.

But it’s not like TOP wanted someone to find him. At least, that’s what he told himself as he sat under the swirling gray clouds above him.

Anyway, TOP rather quite liked it, being alone for once, away from the prying eyes of people he didn’t even know as they pinched and prodded him into ‘perfection’. He didn’t feel lonely up there; in fact, he felt a strange kinship with the rain, as though it meant more than just precipitation. Almost as if it were a part him, the part that was still clouded with doubts and still wept when things got tough.

So TOP sat in the rain as YoungBae waited for his loved one at his door.

---

It was a rainy day when YoungBae’s eyes flickered open at 3AM in the morning. No explanation as to why his body had chosen such an unreasonable time to wake, YoungBae just shrugged and his side and tried to fall back asleep.

This proved impossible when YoungBae heard someone bustling about in the kitchen.

Cautiously, YoungBae lifted himself out of bed and peeked out his bedroom door, just in time to see a familiar tall frame slip through the front door. Curious as to why TOP was leaving the apartment so early in the morning, YoungBae threw on a jacket and followed his hyung out. It wasn’t hard to figure out where TOP had gone, someone was definitely plodding his was up the stairs towards the roof.

By the time YoungBae got to the top of the roof, TOP had settled himself on the edge of the roof, legs dangling, and arms on either side propping him up. His eyes were closed and he was smiling up at the stormy sky, seeming unperturbed about the pouring rain splashing on his face. YoungBae had never seen TOP with such an expression of… sheer content. As if he could stay like that forever and be fine with it.

It scared YoungBae.

“Hyung?” YoungBae called cautiously, slowly walking towards TOP.

TOP’s eyes flickered open in shock, blinking at the water getting in his eyes. “YoungBae? What are you doing here?” he asked guardedly.

“Better question; what are you doing here?”

TOP just shrugged and turned back to face the city skyline. “I don’t know. Habit.”

“You do this a lot?”

“Just when it rains,” came TOP’s nonchalant reply. He really didn’t want YoungBae to be there, but he didn’t mind it either, so he was unresisting when YoungBae came to sit next to him.

From his view, YoungBae could maybe sort of see why TOP had chosen to sit here, on the edge like this. It gave YoungBae a heady feeling, to know that the edge of the roof could literally be the line between life and death. Not exactly a pleasant feeling, but nice to know nevertheless.

“It’s cold,” YoungBae remarked, breaking the silence.

“Go inside.”

Instead, YoungBae just pressed closer to his hyung. TOP’s arm automatically reached out and wrapped around YoungBae’s torso.

TOP on sunny days and TOP on rainy days, pondered YoungBae idly. Kind of like the difference between TOP and SeungHyun. Two different people… who would’ve guessed that BIGBANG’s power rapper was also the type to sit in the rain at 3 in the morning for no reason? TOP and SeungHyun… YoungBae and Taeyang… I guess we all have sides we want to keep to ourselves.

YoungBae trembles with laughter as a thought strikes him, ignoring TOP’s curious, questioning look.

How fitting, YoungBae thought as he laid his head to rest on TOP’s shoulder, Sun and Rain, coexisting.

Maybe it’s just the rain messing with him, but YoungBae smiles and thinks about how perfect the rain really is.