Happy Birthday! (GRi)

Love In The Dark - A Series of Drabbles

Rating: PG-13
Word Count: 1449
Genre: Fluff, well, fail!fluff...
Summary: It's Jiyong's birthday and Seungri's in Japan.
AN: This is kinda... random. And not cohesive. It doesn't really have any plot or storyline. It was a bad day for writing >.>



Based on this song: Tell Her - Jesse McCartney
 
It’s the 18th of August and JiYong wakes up with a hand groping the other side of the bed, only to remember that, oh yeah, SeungRi’s in Japan. He feels the frown appear on his face and grumpily shakes his head.

The alarm clocks tells him it’s 6AM, and he can already hear YoungBae bustling about in the kitchen. Deciding to indulge in some birthday attention, JiYong gets up, glancing for just a second at the other half of the bed where a certain panda should be sleeping, and heads out to the kitchen, yawning into his hand.

“Happy birthday, JiYong,” YoungBae greets serenely from the stove. JiYong smiles at his best friend and YoungBae turns around to give him a great bear hug, with eye smile and all. There’s a present with a red ribbon on top waiting for him at the table. YoungBae brings them both breakfasts as JiYong eagerly tears into his gift.

“Hey, COOL, BAE! THESE ARE AWESOME!” crows JiYong as he happily takes in the sight of the pair of flashy red-and-blue sneakers that JiYong had been drooling over for the past month.

“Oh, and one more thing,” YoungBae says, as if just remembering something. He reaches into his back pocket.

“Another present? Bae, you shouldn’t have!”

“It’s not a present,” YoungBae says smiling, “And it’s not from me, either. It’s SeungRi’s.” He hands JiYong a tiny little square envelope with JiYong written across it in familiar SeungRi-writing. JiYong immediately rips it open, grabbing the note inside.

I miss your smile. – SeungRi.

JiYong frowned in confusion. “That’s it?” JiYong asks YoungBae, wondering if he was still withholding SeungRi’s real present.

“He just told me to give it to you.”

And so JiYong left the kitchen in a thoroughly bad mood, muttering about ungrateful maknaes to anyone who would listen. As it was, he was mostly just talking to himself.

So absorbed was JiYong in his mutterings that he didn’t notice DaeSung until he ran headfirst into him, sending them both to the floor.

“Ah! JiYong-hyung!” DaeSung yelped excitedly. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY HYUNGIE~~!” JiYong was immediately suffocated as DaeSung smothers him in an overenthusiastic hug. What was it with hugs today?

“Y-Yah! Get off of me” JiYong gasps, struggling to breathe, “It’s my birthday- I don’t deserve to die!”

DaeSung, smiling as always, just laughs it off and produces from thin air a large, confetti filled bag, which he promptly shoves in JiYong’s face. Inside, to his astonishment (and slight disappointment), is the exact same pair of shoes that YoungBae had gotten him.  

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” DaeSung repeats, “You like them, right? Because I knew you wanted them, YoungBae-hyung told me so himself!”

JiYong chuckles and grins at DaeSung. “Yep! I love them! Thanks DaeSung!”

DaeSung looks extremely satisfied with himself, before his eyes widen.

“Oh! I almost forgot!” DaeSung pulls a small, square envelope out of his hoodie’s pocket. He hands it to JiYong.

I’m counting the minutes, gonna see you in a little while.  – SeungRi

“What the ,” JiYong mutters under his breath. “DaeSung, why did SeungRi tell you to give this to me?”

DaeSung just shrugs and says, “I don’t know, he was mumbling. Jeez, he was supposed to get over the awkwardness between us.” He rolls his eyes and leaves JiYong standing there, more confused than ever. He had the strong urge to call SeungRi and demand to know what the hell was going on, but decides against it. SeungRi doesn’t deserve to hear JiYong’s voice right now and he’ll have to suffer the consequences.

Smirking, JiYong whistles ‘Strong Baby’ as he visits the last member who owes him a gift. 

“Hyung!” JiYong shouts as he pushes open the door to the sleeping SeungHyun’s room. SeungHyun doesn’t stir.

“Hyuuuung!” JiYong sing-songs as he creeps up next to his SeungHyun. “YAH! HYUNG! IT’S MY BIRTHDAY!” JiYong shouts as SeungHyun shows no sign of awaking, jabbing him sharply in the side.

“Mmph-huh?” groans SeungHyun from the depths of his pillow. “Whassamatter?”

“Hyung, get up!”

StupidmotheringIwassleepingwhatthehellugh—” mutters SeungHyun as he forces his eyes open and takes in JiYong’s figure.  “Oh, it’s you.”

“Yeah, it’s me! Who else would it be? Everyone else is too scared to wake you up.”

“Well… yeah, okay, that’s true.”

JiYong waits patiently as SeungHyun tries to get everything into focus (he knew he shouldn’t have had that last glass of wine last night!). “Happy birthday, JiYong.” He pats JiYong’s head blearily and rummages underneath his bed for…

A shoebox.

JiYong groaned internally as SeungHyun hands it to him.

“Oh, yay!” JiYong exclaims, picking up the flashy red-and-blue sneakers he now had three pairs of.

“Thanks, hyung!”

“Yeah, yeah, can I go back to sleep now? I promise, I’ll go out drinking with you later, okay? It’s—” SeungHyun glances at his alarm clock and starts swearing profusely under his breath, “6:30 in the morning!”

“Sure, hyung,” JiYong says, rolling his eyes, about to walk out of the room.

“Wait! Ow, goddamnit—here it is!” SeungHyun exclaims, extracting with much difficulty a fairly crumpled square envelope from the tangle of his blankets.

JiYong races over and plucks it out of SeungHyun’s hands before he can say anything.

I love you.  – SeungRi

Despite being confused as ever, a smile tugs at JiYong’s lips as he pores over SeungRi’s little letter, adoring how SeungRi’s dotted his i’s with hearts and drawn little hearts around his words. Perhaps his maknae wasn’t so bad after all.

JiYong’s day passes by fairly quickly, a flurry of ‘Happy Birthday!’s and a huge pile of presents (thankfully, there were no more shoes, though JiYong received a fair amount of hats). And every now and then, someone would produce another little square envelope with another message inside.

After a night of drinking with the rest of BIGBANG, their managers, and 2NE1, JiYong collapses onto his bed, content, but he can’t help but feel a little lonely at the prospect of spending his birthday alone without his boyfriend there to cuddle with. A pile of SeungRi’s notes are stacked neatly on SeungRi’s pillow and JiYong rereads each one before placing them carefully in the box he’d hidden in his closet that contained all of JiYong’s memories with SeungRi inside.

He falls asleep with SeungRi’s pillow in his arms and tries to pretend he’s really holding SeungRi instead.

---

“Hyung.”

“Ugh…wha--?”

“Hyung!”

“HUH? WHOZZAIR?” JiYong exclaims, eyes wide open as he’s prodded incessantly in his side.

“Hyung, I’m home.”

“SeungRi?” JiYong asks, before it sinks in. “SeungRi!” He squints through the darkness of the room and sees his maknae smiling wildly at him, his face just inches away from JiYong’s.

“Happy birthday, hyu—OW!” SeungRi yelled as he was glomped on by JiYong, who was squeezing SeungRi so tight that SeungRi’s face quickly turned purple. “Hyung—can’t—breathe!”

“What are you doing here, Ri?!” JiYong grins, loosening his grip but not letting go.

“It’s your birthday, honey, of course I’m here,” SeungRi says, as if it’s the most obvious thing in the world. “Well, it was your birthday, it’s 2AM now but—” SeungRi trails off, shrugging. “Hey, did you get my notes?”

“Yeah, what were they about, anyway?” JiYong asks as he relaxes against SeungRi’s chest and SeungRi wraps his arms around his boyfriend.

“Well—Okay, I’ll tell you, but don’t laugh, alright?” SeungRi hesitates, and JiYong can sense SeungRi blushing even through the dark.

“I promise I won’t laugh.”

“Uh, well,” SeungRi coughs, “I was listening to this Jesse McCartney song the other day—”

“Wait, you listen to Jesse McCartney?! HA!”

“Hyuuung!” SeungRi pouts.

“All right, all right, I won’t laugh anymore.”

Anyway,” SeungRi presses on, rushing through the words, “He has this song called ‘Tell Her’ and it was about how he’d tell random strangers that if they saw his girl to tell her he loved her, and I decided against going up to random strangers and asking them to tell you I love you, so I bribed the hyung’s into doing it.”

“That’s… sweet, maknae,” JiYong smiles.

“Thanks… I love you, hyung.”

“I love you, too, SeungRi.”



“You know, I didn’t fly all the way from Japan just to tell you I love you…OW! What was that for?”

“Just shut up and kiss me.”

And so JiYong spent his birthday with his boyfriend after all.

 


{And if you see my girl, just tell her I miss her smile.
Tell her I’m counting the minutes, gonna see her in a little while.
‘Cuz I know when she holds on to me,
She’s the one thing I can’t live without.
Oh, oh, oh~
Just tell her I love her.}
Taken from “Tell Her” by Jesse McCartney
 
 
AN: And there you have another update! I'm not going to be updating the ongoing fics much because finals are upon me and I have a load of work to do! But anyhow, there was a nice mix of fluff and angst for this update, yeah? Oh, comme j'adore les deux. Mais je pense que je suis meilleur quand j'ecrit les choses tristes plus que les choses uh, content? Je ne sais pas, meme si mon francais c'est meilleur qu'avant, mon vocabulaire reste petit et donc c'est des fois un peu difficile de souvenir des mots correctes. Et je ne veux pas parler de mon grammaire aussi!