We Found Love (GRi)

Love In The Dark - A Series of Drabbles

Title: We Found Love
Rating: PG
Word Count: 408
Genre: AU, Apocalypse
Summary: Because it’s absurd. It’s crazy. It’s practically a death sentence.
AN: Sudden inspiration from listening to this song and watching the video. One reason I like American music: abstract music videos.

 

The spotlight sweeps down the streets. JiYong waits in the shadows. He feels someone else’s breath on the back of his neck.

His lip curls in disgust. Weakness got you killed, dependence got you found. JiYong feels a hand clutch at the tattered remains of his shirt and a whimper of fear that might as well have been a scream in JiYong’s ears.

The whirs of blades chop through the air, sirens sounding off far in the distance where the city burned and madmen dance in victory. Hatred surges through JiYong, cold resentment, the backpack on his shoulders heavy with whatever had been within his grasp when he’d heard the pounding on his door three nights ago.

A body presses closer; he can feel the shivers travel up his spine. Exasperation, frustration, irritation, helplessness that ate away at JiYong’s resolve and made him think of things other than his own survival.

Dogs bark, the spotlight sweeps by again, and JiYong launches into movement, pulling at the boy behind him, ready to let go the moment he felt slowed. He’s confident he could run away if he wanted to, could abandon if he needed. Alley by alley, JiYong races through the empty streets. Closer and closer to the fringes of civilization, farther and farther away from the heart of his city.

JiYong can hear the wails of grief-stricken women and forgotten children. Can hear the shouts of pain from broken men. But most of all, JiYong can hear the sharp intake of breath, the soft sob, the sound of choked air as it sticks itself in the throat. JiYong stops for a moment, a moment he hopes he can afford.

He pulls the boy into his arms, the boy just a few years younger than himself, holds him so they can pretend for a moment that they’re not surrounded by death and dying. He whispers things that couldn’t possibly mean anything anymore, things like home and safety. Things like hope and salvation.  He forgets about things like survival and thin chances, things like danger and self-preservation.

JiYong promises himself that he can let go of this boy, his boy, if need be. He promises and promises and ignores the voice inside of him that reminds him of the hand in his, the erratic beat of someone’s heart in tune with his own.

Because it’s absurd. It’s crazy. It’s practically a death sentence.

He’s found love in a hopeless place.