A Popularity Boost

Saying I Love You Twice

A couple of months after that night at Inkigayo, I was summoned by my CEO, Mr. Ashton Kim, to his office.

          “Lee ______,” he started.

          “Yes?”

          “As you know, you’ve been on hiatus for a while since your last single,” he said slowly. “You’ve been working on overseas promotions as well, and have been out of the music scene for a while.”

          I looked at him, puzzled. “Well, my last single got the triple crown. And it was number one on the Hanteo Charts for two months. I don’t see what’s the problem. And it’s only been about 5 months since then.”

          “I know, I know. But just in case, we need to boost your popularity back up. You know, create enough hype for your next comeback. Which should be soon, since we’re planning to release a Christmas single for the season,” my CEO explained.

          “Where are you going with this?” I asked, feeling him beating around the bush.

          Mr. Kim sighed and said, “Okay, here it goes. We’ve landed a deal with Woolim Entertainment and the both of us feel like it’d be best if you and another idol in the industry, would date. For, you know, popularity.”

          “Woolim Entertainment?” I questioned.

          “Yeah, the company that Epik High was in!”

          “What about SM?” I asked. “Y-You know, me and one of the DBSK members can date.” I giggled, thinking about Jaejoong.

          “Honestly, right now, DBSK is at their peak in the industry. Japan and Korea both. They don’t need the boost. If anything, a relationship may cause their downfall. One of the rising rookie groups is the way to go,” Mr. Kim said.

          “Wait, so you’re setting me up with an idol that I don’t even like, much less know, and forcing me to date him just for our own popularity?”

          Mr. Kim nodded. “That’s right.”

          I felt insulted.

          “Ashton! I am not doing this. If I were to date anyone, it’d be Jaejoong from DBSK. Not some guy whom I barely even know,” I replied angrily.

          “I know! I know! But trust me on this. It’ll only be for a couple of months. Other idols have done it in the past, it’s nothing new. You’ll just be one of the few. The good thing is that both you and him are going to be promoting in Japan for the next couple of months. Maybe you guys can, I don’t know, study Japanese together or something.” Ashton laughed at his own little joke.

          I was not pleased. But I wanted to make him happy, whatever it was. Maybe this wouldn’t be so bad.

          I sighed. “So who’s the guy? Please tell me it’s not Taecyeon from 2PM didn’t he already do this whole stunt with Yoona and Jessica or something already?”

          “No, no, no, who do you think I am? I wouldn’t pair you up with someone like him. But for now, it’s a secret. You’ll find out tomorrow, at the blind date that Woolim and I will be setting up. We’ll purposely allow the paparazzi to follow. Things should go swimmingly,” Ashton said promisingly.

        “I can’t believe I’m doing this,” I mumbled to myself. “But it’ll only be for a couple of months, right?”

          “Right. But hey, maybe you might actually end up falling the for the guy haha!” Ashton laughed again.

          I rolled my eyes. “Doubt it.”