I'm Sorry

Saying I Love You Twice

 

          “Yerim.”

          “Yes?”

          “What the did you do?”

          Yerim stood up from her seat and said, “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

          “You know exactly what I’m talking about,” Myungsoo angrily replied as he stormed up to her. “I never bought you a ring. I never proposed to you. How can you just announce that to the public?”

          “Why couldn’t I?” Yerim asked. “We’ve been dating long enough. I thought it was time we’d tie the knot.”

          “So you bought yourself a ring,” Myungsoo said slowly. “And set this whole thing up yourself.”

          Yerim considered his statement and nodded. “Yeah. Basically.”

          “Do you know what you’ve gotten me into?” Myungsoo asked through his clenched teeth. “Now everyone thinks that I’m bonded to you for life. They think we’re getting ing married! If I deny it then the public will only think of me as one hell of a douchebag!”

          Yerim smirked, crossing her arms. “Exactly.”

          Myungsoo stared at her in disbelief. “I can’t believe you. I never thought you would be this corrupt.”

          “I’m doing this because I love you, Myungsoo-ah,” Yerim said as she took a step forward towards him. “Please—

          “—stop,” Myungsoo snapped. “You’ve done enough. We’re over.”

          As Myungsoo walked out of the room Yerim spoke up and said, “You say we’re over, Myungsoo-ah. But you know that we’re not. This is only the beginning. You just need to accept it. There’s no way out if it anyways. You’re stuck to me now. Forever.”

          Myungsoo turned around and glared at her one last time before leaving the room.

 

 

You

          “Thanks for giving me a ride home Jaejoong oppa,” I said.

          “You’re welcome,” Jaejoong replied. “It’s dark out. Wouldn’t want you to walk home by yourself.”

          I smiled at him and looked out the window. “Thanks for being here for me,” I said quietly.

          “How are you dealing with the news?” Jaejoong asked softly.

          I shrugged. “Trying not to think about it. We’re supposed to be friends right now. He can’t see me in tears.”

          “Are you sure you guys were ever really just friends?” Jaejoong asked.

          “I don’t even know,” I said. “It was nice while it lasted though.”

          Jaejoong rounded around the corner and stopped by the curb. I unbuckled my seatbelt and said goodbye before walking up to the front door.

          But I was surprised to find a lonely, tall, lean figure by the doorbell. I swallowed in nervousness.

          .

          “Hey,” L said as he walked up to me.

          “H-Hey.” No ______ stop stuttering!

          “So, um…” L bit his lip. “How are you?”

          Terrible.

          “Great,” I fibbed.

          L looked down at the ground and kicked a pebble. “Have you…heard about the engagement?”

          I nodded, pretending that the news hadn’t affected me at all. “Yup. Congratulations dork!” I said as I forced a laugh and playfully punched his arm.

          L stared at me and said, “You’re happy about it?”

          “Yeah,” I lied. “Why wouldn’t I be? We’re friends, right?”

          “Y-Yeah,” L replied. “Friends.”

          The two of us stood there in the silent night, not knowing what else to say. I stared at his face, the one that was looking down at the ground instead of me, the one that used to laugh and smile with me every day. Now that’d be a rare occasion.

          “When I left,” I said suddenly, “I didn’t expect this to happen.”

          L shrugged. “Neither did I.” He swallowed and brought his head up, finally looking into my eyes. “I never loved her the way I loved you.”

          I stared back at him, hearing that word echo in my head again. Love…

          “So you loved me,” I stated.

          “Why does it sound like you don’t believe me?” L asked. “It’s true.”

          “You’re asking why I don’t believe you?” I asked. “Just stick out your ring finger to me. And you’ll see my reason why.”

          L stuck his left hand out of his pocket. “There’s no ring,” he said. “And there won’t be one on here unless it’s from you.”

          I exhaled and ran my fingers through my hair. The frustration was getting to me. All of these feelings that I’ve been keeping bottled up were now yearning to come out.

          I never loved her the way I loved you…

          His words echoed over and over again in my mind.

“You broke your promise,” I said quietly. “Do you remember?”

          He looked away, not saying a word.

          “You said you’d never make me cry,” I continued. Even now, the tears were threatening to come out. “And then look at what happened to us. Everyone thinks you’re going to marry her.”

          “I’m not.”

          “Yeah right,” I scoffed. “Tell that to the entire world. But then again, why should I care right? Everyone forgot about L and _____. It’s all about you and Yerim now. We’re history.”

          “Are we really?” L asked.

          “You tell me.”

          “Well I say we’re not.”

          “Your relationship with Yerim says otherwise.”

          “Well what about Jaejoong, huh?” L said. “What have you been doing with him for the past five years? Did you fulfill your lifetime wish? Oh you two must’ve had so much fun together in LA.”

          “Don’t bring Jaejoong up.”

          “Then don’t bring Yerim up.”

          “Jaejoong has nothing to do with this. I’m not dating him and we were never together. I’m not the one holding hands with him at the airport! I bet you forgot that too, huh? The time when you did that exact same thing to me. Do you remember?”

          “I remember.”

          I crossed my arms and scoffed, “Bull.”

          L stared at me, his eyes beginning to water, although it was hard to tell if it actually was because my eyes were getting watery too.

          He swallowed and said, “To everyone, I’m with her. But to me, it’s still you.”

          “How am I supposed to believe that, Myungsoo?” I asked. “When Yerim is wearing a ing ring on her finger?”

          L ran his hands through his hair in utter frustration and said, “Can you please stop bringing her up?!”

          “How can I not?!” I said. “She’s the one that gets to be with you! She’s the one who gets to sleep in your warm arms. She’s the one who can hug you in front of the world. She’s the one who can kiss you in front of the cameras. She’s the one who can sing with you without having anyone throw a ing light stick at her face. She’s not the one who’s been going insane for the past five years! How can I not bring her up, Myungsoo? Because she gets to do everything that I used to do with you!”

          “______. Please.”

          “No. I’m done.” I turned around and headed towards the door.

          “______ wait!”

          “I’m sorry,” I said to him. “I’m sorry that I couldn’t just be friends with you. I really am. But I guess this is what people mean when they say that two people who once loved each other can never really be just friends.”

 

 

A/N: a big chappie is coming up! ;D