When He Cares About Her More Than Money

Saying I Love You Twice

“Why are we watching Invincible Youth?”

          “Because I want to see you act like an idiot while catching squids.”

          L rolled his eyes and ate some popcorn.

          The both of us were at my house, on the couch, watching some TV in the evening. How this happened, I don’t even know. I think it had to do with me being lonely and him having some free time.

          “That Suzy girl has some sense,” I remarked.

          “How so?” L asked.

          “She didn’t pick you. Because she obviously knows that you’re mine,” I said.

          I froze.

          Wtf was I saying?!

          L raised a brow and looked at me with a mischievous grin. “I’m…yours?”

          “I-I-I mean…you know! To the world, you’re mine and I’m yours! If she’d actually picked you she would’ve had to face some knuckle time with me hehehe.” I looked away, knowing that he would never buy what I was saying.

          I heard L chuckle but he didn’t say anything to what I said.

          “L-ah,” I said quietly after a moment of silence. “Did you know that the kiss you gave me on our anniversary…was my first?”

          L looked over at me. His eyes were wide, full of surprise, and I stared into them. His eyes. They were definitely one of the many things that I love about him.

          “Really?” L asked. “I was your first?”

          I nodded. “You’re my first in a lot of things, actually.”

          L smirked. “Like what?”

          “Well…you’re my first kiss, the first guy who ever came to my house, my first boyfriend—

          “—wait, wait, wait,” L interrupted. “Am I really the first guy who ever came to your house?”

          I nodded. “I just moved in a couple of months before we started going out. No guy has ever been in here except you and…” I stopped myself.

          Jaejoong. I couldn’t say anything about Jaejoong to L. He was a taboo topic. So I never finished my sentence but I felt like L already knew what I was going to say.

          “I’m sorry,” I said quietly.

          “It’s okay. As long as I’m before him, it doesn’t matter,” L replied as he looked down into his bowl of popcorn. There wasn’t even any more popcorn in the bowl. All that was left was just a bunch of kernels. Dork.

          “You know what’s funny?” L said. “Now you talk about us like…like we’re really going out. Like we’re actually boyfriend and girlfriend.”

          I looked down at my hands. What he’d said was true. “Yeah…,” I said. “I guess so.”

          “You don’t like me, do you?” L asked bluntly.

          I shrugged. “Maybe I do.”

 

 

          The following weekend, L and I were invited to Dream Team for a couple special.

L had told me the day before the shooting, “Manager says he’ll give me a raise if you and I can place number one. You can help me do this, can you?”

“Yes, I’ll do my best,” I’d said to him.

 I wasn’t very talented athletically though, so I was a bit worried. I didn’t want to let L down. But he wasn’t very good at sports either so that made things just a tad better. But I still didn’t want to let him down.

          The last activity  includes L lowering me down a bridge so that I can grab a flag on a buoy on the waters below. I was wearing a harness and a helmet, but I had a major fear of heights. I didn’t want to tell him this though, because I didn’t want him to worry. I didn’t want him to lose because of me. Females were the ones who were required to be lowered down. There was no choice.

          “L-ah, I’m scared,” I said. “I’m really scared.”

          “_______ you’ll do fine. I’ll be holding onto you the entire time. Do you trust me?”

          “I trust you,” I said.

          L nodded and looked over at the other competitors. “Now c’mon they’re not that far down yet. Look at me the entire time, okay? Don’t look down, no matter what you do. Don’t. Look. Down.”

          “Okay, okay,” I said, nodding.

          “Look at me,” L said. “Only me.”

          “I will.” And I meant it.

          As L lowered me down I kept my word and looked at him the entire time. He wasn’t looking at me, because he was busy focusing on hanging tight onto the rope, but I didn’t mind. Looking at him made me calm, it made me relax. It made me feel like I could do just about anything.

          Soon I felt lower body go wet. The buoy was just a few yards ahead. I swam over to it and yanked off the flag. I looked around to see other competitors doing the same thing,

          . I need to hurry.

L wasn’t allowed to pull me back up. At this point in the race, I had to climb back up the rope myself, although the harness will somewhat assist me. I looked up and saw how far L was from me. I started climbing, only looking at him like I said I would. About halfway I looked down at my belt to see if my flag was still clipped on and my body turned super warm. I panicked. I imagined the rope breaking, and me plunging headfirst into the cold water as I drown to my death. I grew terrified. I was sweating. Tears threatened to shoot out of my eyes.

          “_______!” I heard L shout. “______! LOOK AT ME!”

          I looked around, startled at hearing his voice. I finally looked up and saw him there, shouting at me.

          “YOU’RE ALMOST THERE _______! KEEP CLIMBING THEY’RE CATCHING UP TO YOU! WIN THIS FOR ME!”

          For him…

          I suddenly forgot about how far up in the air I was. I forgot about how scared I was of heights. With all of the strength I had left I climbed as hard and as fast as I could. I passed Bora from Sistar, who was one of the most athletic girls I knew. She’d also been partnered up with Minho from SHINee, who looked pretty damn pissed at seeing his team now in second place because of me.

          I was nearing to the finish. L and I were currently in first place. We were going to make it!

          That is, until Bora gets competitive herself and decides to miraculously place herself first during the last foot of the climb.

          I hung on the rope, disappointed in myself as I watched her and Minho high five with victorious smiles.

          That should be me and Myungsoo…

          I wanted to cry after knowing that I’d let him down. He wasn’t going to get a raise because of me. I’d ruined it for him. It was all because of me.

          Because I wasn’t moving on the rope, the production crew grew worried and told L to pull me over. I felt a tug on the rope and snapped out of it. I climbed over the bridge railing and my two feet was back on solid ground again. I kept my head down the entire time. I couldn’t face him.

          After the shooting ended I walked out of the changing room, still bummed over the loss. ‘Bummed’ was an understatement, actually. I was more like downright depressed.

          I walked over to the parking lot, searching for Kiko’s van. Thank god L and I had come in separate vans. I was waiting by the curb when I suddenly heard someone call my name.

          And I knew exactly who it was.

          “______!”

          .

          I looked around but found no where suitable to hide.

          L grabbed my wrist and spun me around. “_______, are you okay?”

          “W-What do you—?”

          But I never got to finish as L grabbed my hands and started looking at my palms.

          “What are you doing?” I asked, puzzled.

          I thought he’d be mad at me.

          “Oh thank god,” L was saying. “I was scared that you had severe rope burns. You climbed up that rope so fast on the second half that it scared me.”

Listen to Yozoh - Again and Again

          What.

          “Wait, wait, wait,” I said. “Why aren’t you mad at me? Why aren’t you yelling at me?”

          “Yell at you? Why would I do that?”

          “Because I made you lose! I made you lose your raise!” I exclaimed.

          “Oh, that?” L asked. “It doesn’t matter. I care about you more than a couple hundred bucks.”

          “Are you crazy?” I asked. “I feel guilty as for making you lose money.”

          “It’s okay ______,” L said. “Why do you even care if I get extra money or not anyways?”

          “I…don’t know…” I shook my head. “Ughhh don’t ask me about that kind of stuff! I’m going to go look for Kiko’s van.”

          “Wait,” L said. And then he smirked. “You know, I am kind of mad.”

          “Oh my gosh I knew it!” I took out my wallet and said, “Here I’ll give you some—

          “—No. No. You don’t need to give me money. You can give me…something else…” He mischievously grinned.

          “You’re scaring me,” I said.

          “______. Look at me,” he said.

          “Already am.”

          “Okay now are you ready?”

          “Ready for what?” I asked.

          And before I could even do anything else he suddenly brought his lips to mine. It was a quick peck, but still nonetheless sent shivers down my spine and fireworks throughout my entire body. L pulled away quickly. He was smiling like an idiot, even bouncing on his heels as his eyes grew into small, thinly-shaped crescents.

          “Bye!” He said before skipping away from me and disappearing around a corner.

          And all I could do was stand there and touch my lips as I played the scene over and over again in my head, thinking about how I loved the feeling of his lips on top of mine.

 

 

A/N: i like titling my chapters like this...being the perfectionist i am i might go and redo all of the titles so that it fits LOL idk xD and the obstacle i'm talking about is quite similar to the one kevjumba did with his dad LOL if you guys are confused

video reference: