The Birthday Present He Never Gave Her

Saying I Love You Twice

 

          “______. Someone’s here for you.”

          “Who?” I asked Ashton.

          Then, in through the door came the man himself.

          That L fellow.

          I coldly looked away and the room suddenly became very tense.

          “I’ll just leave you two alone,” Ashton said before stepping out of the office.

          The room fell silent, with just the clock on the wall faintly ticking away.

          “I thought I said I didn’t want to see you again,” I suddenly said.

          “______-ah,” L said. “Can you just let me talk?”

          “Well I don’t have a choice now do I?”

          L frustratingly sighed and took a seat across from me. “Look,” he said. “I know things are bad between us. It has been for five years straight. But I hate fighting with you. Can we just…” he bit his lip. “Can we just try to be friends?”

          “Friends?” I asked. That term has never occurred to me before.

          L nodded. “Friends. Or, I mean…unless you want to—

          “—No,” I said. Then I sighed and closed my eyes, wondering how I ever got into this mess with him. But it seemed like he was really making an effort, even to the extent of coming over to the Entrust building. So I basically had no choice but to comply. The guy cornered me good.

“Fine,” I said. “If you really want us to be friends then…I guess we can try that.”

          “Good,” L said. “Because I really don’t like the hate, y’know?”

          I shrugged. “Whatever.”

        L stood up and held out his hand. He softly smiled at me and said, “It’s nice to have you back, ______.”

          I stared at his hand, not sure if I should even be accepting his invitation to becoming friends. Can we really just be friends? After everything that’s happened? Can I really be able to treat him as a friend?

          Even with all of these thoughts running inside my head, I put my hand in his and shook it. “Friends,” I said with a fake grin. It just seemed like the right thing to do.

          “Great,” L said with a smile.

That smile…

He walked towards the door, turned back, and waved. “See you around ______.”

          “Yeah,” I said as I watched him leave. That departing figure of his gave me so much déjà vu. “See you around.”

 

 

          “So you guys are friends now?” Sungyeol asked.

          “Yeah,” Myungsoo replied.

          “Why?” Sungyeol asked in disbelief. “Why would you make amends and ask to become friends? You guys both loved each other at one point. People like that can’t just suddenly become friends in a matter of five minutes.”

          “It’s better than fighting with her, okay?” Myungsoo said. “I hate seeing her get so worked up because of me.”

          “But you don’t even want to be friends with her,” Sungyeol stated. “You still love her. And I can bet that she still loves you too.”

          “It doesn’t matter,” Myungsoo said. “Too much has happened between us already. Things didn’t work out. It’d be pointless to try to start over again. If we’re friends, then at least I can still talk to her without having her get angry at me.”

          “I just don’t understand why you guys just can’t get together,” Sungyeol said with a sigh.

          Myungsoo just shrugged. “If love was easy, it wouldn’t be worth it.”

 

 

          My little duet with L garnered more attention than I thought it would. On my next interview I was supposed to be talking about my long-awaited comeback. But instead I could tell that everyone was itching for me to talk about that death note kid.

        “So ______, how are you and L-shii? Nobody has seen you two since the scandal back in 2012,” the interviewer said.

          “Um…we’re alright, I guess. We’re friends,” I replied. Friends. I seriously had to get used to referring to him as that.

          “Friends? Even after the relationship ended?”

          I shrugged. “Yeah I guess.”

          “What about Yerim? Are you two close?”

        “Not really,” I replied. “But if L is happy with her, then I’m happy too. That’s all that matters.” As I said those words, I was trying my best not to crack. But I’m pretty sure anyone could’ve noticed the hurt expression on my face.

 

 

          “HAPPY BIRTHDAY ______!”

          I smiled at the fans as I accepted some of their gifts. “Thank you,” I said before getting into the van.

          “What are you going to do today for your birthday?” Kiko asked me.

          I shrugged lifelessly, not really caring much. “I dunno.”

          “You do know that today is his birthday too, right?” Kiko asked.

          “Of course I know,” I said quietly, staring out the window.

          “You should say happy birthday to him,” Kiko advised. “Aren’t you guys friends now? No more hate?”

          “It’s hard saying that we’re friends,” I said absentmindedly. “I never really thought of him as a friend…but if that’s what he wants then I’m not going to argue.” I sighed and straightened up. “He’s probably off with Yerim today anyways, just like how I was off with Jaejoong five years ago. It’s my turn to face the pain that he once felt. What’s worse is that this time it might be irreversible, if that even makes sense.”

          “Nothing is ever too late, ______,” Kiko said. “I know you still love him.”

          “Too bad he doesn’t feel the same way,” I said. “Now can we please stop talking about him?”

          Kiko reluctantly nodded and made no further effort to bring up the subject. All I did for the rest of the car ride was stare out the window, thinking about that one birthday five years ago. Most of my birthdays had turned out to be boring, terrible, or just downright depressing.

          I don’t think L knew though, that the birthday we shared together five years ago, was the best birthday I ever had.

 

 

Them

          “Yo dude get out of bed. It’s your birthday,” Sungyeol said as he flicked Myungsoo’s forehead.

          The visual of Infinite rolled around onto his stomach, his eyes droopily opening.

          “I don’t want to get up,” he mumbled tiredly.

          “You’ve been sleeping all day,” Sungyeol said. “Aren’t you going to go out and party or something? Go to a club perhaps? Yknow, get away from the devil?”

          “I can’t,” Myungsoo said. “I’m pretty sure she’s coming in about ten minutes, at her usual time.”

          “Ditch,” Sungyeol said. “Go to ______’s place. I know you want to. Besides, aren’t you guys friends now? Go have dinner with her or something.”

          “Do you think it’s easy to just go to her house and ask for food?” Myungsoo asked.

          Sungyeol shrugged. “You used to do it all the time. Why is it different now?”

          “ happened,” Myungsoo replied. “She’s probably off with Jaejoong again anyways. Like how it was five years ago.”

        “I don’t think she likes him,” Sungyeol said. “If she did then she would’ve snagged him by now. The guy’s over thirty. We’re all at an age where marriage is crucial and ______ is still single.”

          “I still have the birthday present, you know,” Myungsoo said quietly. “The one I was supposed to give to her on that birthday but never did.”

          “You still kept it?” Sungyeol asked. “After all these years?”

Myungsoo swallowed and felt his heart well up in pain. “I never had the heart to throw it away.”

 

 

5 Years Ago…

          Myungsoo looked at the time: 12:00 AM. It was officially your birthday, as well as his.

          With a satisfied smile on his face, Myungsoo sent you an immediate happy birthday text and put his phone under his pillow before sleeping for about 5 hours or so. He had an early schedule that day. But even so, he still managed to squeeze in some time during break to go to the nearby boutique down the street of the broadcasting station.

          “What can I buy for ______’s birthday?” he asked himself as his eyes surveyed the racks of clothing and jewelry. He smiled to himself as he imagined you being all happy after opening his present. He wanted you to be surprised. If he was lucky, maybe you’d even give him a hug. If he was really lucky, maybe you’d even kiss him on the cheek perhaps.

          Myungsoo shook his head. Snap out of it. You’re only getting your hopes up. She likes Jaejoong. But he still giggled at the thought of you.

          His eyes suddenly came across a silver chain. It was embellished with diamonds and he thought about the couple ring. Myungsoo took the ring off of his finger and looped it onto the chain. It looked perfect together. You could wear the ring around your neck.

          That chain cost him several hundred dollars because it was made of real diamonds and legit silver. Not the tacky stuff. But he thought it was worth it, because it was for you.

          “Buying this for someone special?” the cashier asked.

          Myungsoo smiled and said, “Yeah. My girlfriend, actually.”

          The cashier smiled. “Well she’s lucky to have you.”

          “Thanks,” Myungsoo said. Now if only she knew that.

          That night though, when he realized that you’d been hanging out with Jaejoong the entire day, he grew immensely angry. He grew so angry that he completely forgot about his gift for you.

As he held you in his arms to sleep that night though, he suddenly remembered that he had a present for you and pondered if he should give it to you. But you were already asleep and he felt like it wasn’t a good time.

He’d always intended to give it to you. But then happened and everything spun out of control and he never got the chance to.

          Of course, he could always give it to you today. Say something like, “Hey we’re friends now, here’s a gift!”

          But it was originally meant for the couple ring. How weird would it be to receive just a simple silver diamond chain? He wasn’t even sure if you still had the infinity ring. He still had it though.

 

Present

          “Well I’m going out with the hyungs,” Sungyeol said. “You said you didn’t want a celebration or anything so we’re doing just that. I hope you have at least some fun today though.”

          “Thanks,” Myungsoo said.

          After Sungyeol left, Myungsoo sat on his bed, wondering about what to do. It was his birthday for god’s sake.

          He looked over at the baby pink gift bag in the corner of his room and felt his heart lean towards it.

          Sooner than he would’ve liked to, Myungsoo was already getting out of bed and jumping into the bathroom for a shower. He made sure to do his hair the way you liked it (spiked up a bit but not too much) and put on a nice navy blue button up. He rolled up his sleeves and slipped on some black skinnies. For the finishing touch, a dash of cologne.

          Satisfied with his look, Myungsoo grabbed the baby pink bag and headed out the door. On his way down however, he suddenly ran into an unwanted encounter.

          “Myungsoo-ah!” Yerim exclaimed as she practically jumped into his arms. She was initially excited to see him, but began to grow skeptic as her eyes landed on the gift bag in his hand.

          “Is that for me?” she asked, hoping that the answer would be yes.

          “Um…no,” Myungsoo said. “Why are you here again?”

          “It’s your birthday,” Yerim said. “I thought we would celebrate it together.”

          “Didn’t I tell you that I wanted to be alone on my birthday this year?” Myungsoo asked.

        “No,” Yerim said flatly, “you didn’t. Now we’re going to go spend some time together, right?”

          “I’m sorry Yerim,” Myungsoo said, already starting to walk away. “I’ll call you later. I have to go somewhere first.”

        “Myungsoo-ah,” Yerim said, trying her best to stay composed. “You’re not leaving me for her, right?”

          Myungsoo stared at the girl he supposedly loved, and bit his lip. His brain told him to just go with Yerim and that you were the past. But his heart told him otherwise.

          “I’m sorry,” Myungsoo said again. “I’ll see you later.” And with that, he got into the nearest taxi and left.

          Yerim stood there in disbelief, not being able to comprehend the fact that her “boyfriend” had just left her for another girl.

          I can’t let this happen.

 

 

You

          My schedule ended around 10 PM that day. The van was driving me home. As the night lights whizzed past me, I was looking through my messages, feeling grateful about how many people wished me a happy birthday. Jaejoong was in Japan and felt bad that he couldn’t be there to spend it with me.

          “Are you doing anything today at all?” he’d asked me this morning in a birthday call.

          “Nope,” I said. “But it’s fine. I’m busy, anyways.”

          Jaejoong of course, didn’t believe a single word I said. He knew what other person had the same birthday as mine.

          “This is your stop _______,” the driver up front said.

          “Thanks,” I said before getting out. “Have a good night.”

          “You too.”

          I walked up the driveway and suddenly saw a figure sitting down on the front steps by the door. He had his elbow propped on his knee, and looked like he was sleeping.

          As I got closer I was surprised to find out that it was L. He looked especially good today. His hair was spiked up the way I liked it and his outfit looked good on him. My eyes then noticed the pink gift bag sitting next to him.

L, as if noticing a second presence, opened one eye. His eyes widened when he realized it was me and he immediately stood up, straightening himself up as he did.

          “H-Hey,” he said.

          “Hi,” I replied. I nodded over at the pink bag. “Is that yours?”

L looked over at the bag, as if just noticing its presence. “O-Oh…that…um…” he paused. “A fan gave it to me on the way here.”

          “Oh…”

          Stupid. Of course it was from a fan.

          “Well what are you doing here?” I asked.

          L shrugged. “Had nothing to do.”

          I unlocked the front door and stepped inside. L followed, taking his pink bag inside with him, and I felt my heart begin to race. What was he doing? Was this what friends do?

          “Still looks the same,” I heard him mumble as he surveyed the house. “So your schedule ended pretty late.”

          “Yeah,” I replied. “Come back interviews and all. What have you been doing all day?”

          “Nothing much,” L said with another shrug. “Just slept. A lot. Laid in bed, being a bum.”

          I gave him a look. “Doesn’t seem like a very productive birthday.”

          “Likewise.” L sat on one of the bar stools in the kitchen and drummed his hands on the granite countertop. “Yo , make a sandwich,” he said with a mischievous grin.”

          I laughed. “Get outta my house, dork.”

          “Awwhh but I’m hungry!” he pouted. God it was so cute. “Can you please make me my birthday dinner? I waited in the cold for you.”

          “You were sleeping,” I said.

          “Same thing. Now pleeassssee?”

          “What do you want to eat?” I asked.

          “Udon,” L replied.

          “Udon? Can’t we just buy those packages at the store and microwave them?” I asked.

          “Great! Let’s go then!” L said. “Birthday supermarket trip!”

          “How much dorkier can you get?” I asked as I rolled my eyes.

          It was amazing how fast we’d gone back to our old ways. In the instant he called me , he was immediately the dork. For once, things felt normal between us. It felt like old times, and that made me very happy.

        The two of us walked side by side to the supermarket down the street. It was awkward at first, but the wall of awkwardness gradually melted away. Maybe it was better to talk to him as a friend like this. Maybe he’d made the right choice about establishing us as friends.

          “Why are you getting the blue udon bowl,” L asked.

          “Because blue is awesome.”

          “No. Everyone knows that the green one is the best.” He grabbed two bowls of udon with the green packaging and tossed them into the basket, which also included a bunch of candy and snacks.

          “Yah,” I said. “Are we using my money on all of this?”

          “Well I don’t have money.”

          “YAH! You owe me money then!”

          “But you’re the older one,” L nonchalantly replied. “Don’t elders have to spoil their dongsaengs? You’re not being very nice to your hoobae…”

          I sighed. “ you’re making me feel bad.”

          L smirked. “Exactly.”

          On the way back from the supermarket, the both of us stopped by a nearby bakery and picked out a small cake. It seemed suitable enough. And L promised to repay me with money for the cake, but not the udon. That cheapskate. The groceries were the more expensive out of the two.

          Once we got back to my house, L was nice enough to prepare his own bowl of udon as I prepared mine. We stood there next to each other in the kitchen, just talking about the randonmest things that made me laugh like crazy. He was still the wittiest and funniest kid I knew.

L seemed to know his udon. I tasted the green bowl and found it to taste much better than the blue kind.

          “Damn you,” I said. “Are you like, an udon expert or something?”

          “You can say that,” he replied. “Love this stuff.”

          I watched as he stuffed a spoonful of noodles into his mouth and unknowingly smiled. L noticed and gave me a look. “Stop staring at me,” he said.

          I blinked and snapped out of it. . He was still so damn good looking.

          I looked down at my bowl of udon and said quietly, “Happy birthday, Myungsoo-ah.

          L stopped chewing and slowly, absentmindedly stirred his bowl of udon. “You called me Myungsoo,” he replied softly.

          I shrugged. “It’s your birthday. Might as well.”

          “Isn’t that what you said to me five years ago?” L asked.

          I thought about it. “Huh…yeah…it was.”

          “You still remember?”

          “Of course I remember,” I said. “That was the best birthday I ever had.”

          “Yeah,” L replied. “Mine too.”

          “Really?”

          He nodded. “Yeah.”

          It was silent for a long while. The both of us finished our food and dumped the plastic in the trash. It was close to midnight.

          “ our birthdays are almost up,” L said.

          “Dammit L-ah get the lighter from the drawer please,” I said as I put the cake on the counter. I put on two candles, one for the each of us. L lit up the flame and turned off the lights. We stood side by side in front of the cake.

          “Who’s going to sing?” I asked.

          “Okay you sing for me,” L said, “and I’ll sing for you.”

          “Okay,” I said. “Seng il chook ha hamni da, seng il chook ha hamni da, sa rang ha nuen Kim Myungsoo, seng il chook ha hamni da~”

          L beamed at me and patted my head, something that hasn’t happened to me in a long time. I stared at his impeccable face, at his hypnotic eyes, and he was staring at me back. He kept his eyes on me as he sang to me, evoking so many feelings of déjà vu. I’d missed him. I really had.

          “Make a wish,” he said softly.

          I broke away from his eyes and stared at the glowing candle flame. “You make a wish too,” I said.

          L and I both stared at the flame and instinctively counted to three before blowing it out.

          The house became dark. It was pitch black, with only the moon shining through the windows as a source of light. L and I were so close to each other, and I felt my heart skip a beat.

          Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. And a rather impatient knock at that.

          “I-I’ll go get it,” I said as I dashed to the door, turning on the lights in the process. Part of me wanted to stay with him but the other part of me was getting so nervous to the extent of wanting to crawl under my blanket and scream.

          I opened the door to find Yerim. This shocked me, as I didn’t even know how she found out where I lived. I felt my heart begin to sink as I realized why she’s here: that kid standing in my kitchen.

          “Why does it smell like burning candles in here?” she said as she made a move to step inside my house.

        I blocked her and said, “What are you doing here so late? How do you even know where I live?”

          She stuck her nose up in the air and said, “I have my sources.” She peeked inside but I blocked her again.

          “What do you want?” I barked.

          “______ who is…” L stopped as he saw who was at the door.

          That idiot. Why couldn’t he have just stayed where he was?!

          “Myungsoooo!!” Yerim pushed me out of the way and ran into his arms. “There you are! I was so worried!”

          The sight of her hugging L was just utterly disgusting. He too looked uncomfortable.

          Or at least, I hoped he was.

          “Get out of my house,” I demanded to her. “Or I’m calling the police.”

          She glared at me. “Fine,” she declared. Then she grabbed L’s arm and dragged him out. “C’mon Myungsoo! Dinner is waiting for us!”

          “What the it’s 1 in the morning,” I said. “A little late for dinner now is it?”

          “It’s never too late when it’s with someone you love,” Yerim spat.

          I looked at L, who was already looking at me. His eyes dug down deep into mine and before I knew it, Yerim was pulling him out of my house and into her car. I watched as he slipped away from me, as he was stolen by another woman. Again.

          “He didn’t even say goodbye,” I said to myself as Yerim’s car disappeared around the corner.

          I sulked back to the kitchen and stared at the cake, wanting to just dump it in the trash can. I had no more appetite after seeing that clingy steal the man I once loved away.

          I began to clean up, wiping the counter and such. I decided to not throw the cake away and instead put it in the refrigerator. Maybe someone at the office would want it or something.

          While I was cleaning up, I noticed that L had left his pink gift bag on the counter. Curious as to what his fan got him, I took a peek inside and found a jewelry box that was long and slender.

          A chain? Why would his fan give him a chain?

          I took it out and opened it. Inside was the most beautiful diamond chain that I’ve ever seen. The string of rock looked pretty expensive. What a dedicated fan this must be.

          I then noticed an envelope at the bottom of the bag, with my name on it.

          My name.

          Growing skeptical, I put the chain down and looked at the envelope, recognizing L’s handwriting.

          No way…

          I opened the envelope with shaky hands, wondering if this was what I thought it was. The card was embellished with gold streaks and had a pretty glittery pop up heart in the middle. On the front in pink cursive were the words ‘Happy Birthday!’

          Feeling my heart beat faster by the second, I opened the card and immediately noticed the date written at the top right corner: March 13th, 2012.

          Five years ago.

          I then remembered how he’d never given me a present that day. My eyes raced throughout the words on the card.

 

March 13th, 2012

To the ,

     Just kidding you’re not really a keke even though you can be mean sometimes :( But it’s okay. I’m a big boy and am mature enough to tolerate it.

     I still find it so coincidental that we have the same birthday! We have more things in common than you thought, eh? ;D

     Truth is, I’m really glad I got to get to know you like this…even though you may not seem to like this fake relationship very much. You’re a great friend/girlfriend or whatever haha.

     This letter seems really random and choppy…but I’m usually not a man of many words so feel special that I actually took the time and dedication to write you a somewhat heartfelt letter. If you want more of these, just tell me and I’ll write them for you. Just for you :)

     Uh…the chain is supposed to be so that you can put the ring on it and wear it as a necklace. I know you don’t like rings much so I hope you like it haha. Happy birthday, yeobo.

 

Love,

     Myungsoo

 

 

Them

          “Why were you at ______’s house?” Yerim questioned.

Myungsoo shrugged. “Just wanted to,” he simply replied.

          “I just can’t believe you actually went. You’re with me, Myungsoo. Not with her. You never were.”

          Myungsoo kept quiet as he stared out the car window.

          “Are you even listening to me?” Yerim angrily asked. “What’s so great about her anyways? She doesn’t even call you by your real name! I do! I bring you presents and visit you regularly! I treat you like royalty. What did she treat you like? Utter . That’s what.”

          Myungsoo bit his lip and looked over at Yerim, the anger spilling out from his eyes. “Don’t talk about her like that,” he snapped. “She may not call me by my real name, but when she does it sounds amazing. She has bought me presents and she has visited me before when I was sick. She may not treat me like ‘royalty’ or whatever but I never wanted or asked her too. You don’t know what happened between us Yerim. So stop acting like you do.”

          Yerim stared at Myungsoo in disbelief. “I can’t believe you’re defending her.”

          “I’m just speaking the truth. You were asking for it.”

          The car ride stayed silent after that, with Myungsoo getting the last word. The both of them felt the tense atmosphere but Myungsoo shrugged it off. Yerim reached over and grabbed his hand.

          “Please don’t do this to me,” she said.

          Myungsoo looked down at her hand and pulled away, not wanting to speak to her after what she said about you. Yerim stared at the back of his head. His entire body was turned away from her.

          How can you still choose her over me…after all these years

 

 

          The next morning Myungsoo woke up to find a black gift bag sitting on his doorstep. Puzzled, he picked it up and took it to his room.

          He found a card on top of the pile of tissue paper with his name on it.

 

Dear Kim Myungsoo,

          Happy birthday. I’m not really a person of many words either. But I felt like I should repay you so I hope you like what I got for you.

 

-the

 

          Heart pounding against his chest, Myungsoo opened the contents of the bag and found a jewelry box. Inside was a necklace chain, suited for a man. You’d also bought him a set of brand name earphones and a gift card. A second note was inside the jewelry box.

 

Bought you three presents because the chain I bought for you was pretty cheap compared to the one you bought for me hahaha hope I made up for it ^-^

 

          Myungsoo smiled and stared at the presents you bought him.

          Thanks, ______ 

 

 

 

A/N: omg suuuccchhh a late update ;~: sorry! I was originally going to have Myungsoo put the gift bag on your doorstep and leave and you come home to find it but like...i think that'd be a bit too sad LOL so i gave you two a more memorable birthday ^u^ 

Also, the reason why i suddenly made you guys friends is that so you guys can have some sort of reconcilement...like y'know how some couples try to be friends for their own sake? LOL idk but yeah :)

and the t-ara scandal is quite...scandalous, isn't it? haha