The Proposal He Never Knew About

Saying I Love You Twice

 

          Myungsoo put on his headphones and began listening to music.

          “Those look nice,” Yerim commented as she nestled beside him.

          “Thanks,” Myungsoo replied, hardly paying attention to her skinship.

          “I’ve never seen you wear it before,” Yerim said as she his arm. “Is it new?”

          Myungsoo nodded. “Mhm.”

          “Who gave it to you?”

          “Someone,” Myungsoo vaguely replied.

          “Who’s ‘someone’?” Yerim suddenly grew suspicious. “Who is it that you can’t tell me?”

          “No one,” Myungsoo said. “Just drop it, okay?”

          “Is it _______?” Yerim asked, standing up. “Did she give it to you?”

          Myungsoo didn’t reply.

          “Huh,” Yerim scoffed. “So she did give you something for your birthday.”

          “We’re friends,” Myungsoo said, trying to calm Yerim down.

          “Bull.” Yerim wanted to rip those headphones off of his head. “I gave you tons of presents for your birthday over the past years! And I’ve never seen you use any of them once! Do you see how badly you treat me? And look how nicely you treat that !”

          “Don’t call her a ,” Myungsoo said as he abruptly stood up to face her. “What has she ever done to you?”

          “She stole you away from me.”

          “No, Yerim. I was the one who went to her. She never went to me. She never stole anything.” Myungsoo ran his fingers through his hair and said, “Can you leave, please? I need to be by myself.”

          “Why can’t I stay here with you?”

          “I need some alone time, please.”

          Yerim stared at Myungsoo and grabbed her purse, although reluctantly.

          “Don’t ever call ______ a again,” Myungsoo said sternly. Then he secretly smiled to himself. “Only I can call her that.”

          Yerim walked out of Myungsoo’s apartment droopily, wondering how on earth he can still choose you over her any day.

          This has to end. Once and for all.

 

 

You

          I was happier nowadays, you could say. I smiled more, I laughed more, and I found more beauty in the smallest things. Some airport pictures of Myungsoo came out and I saw the headphones that I gave him sticking out of his backpack. It was nice to know that he was actually using it.

          One night I was sitting at home, flipping through some TV channels, when I suddenly came across an entertainment news special.

          “Infinite’s L and his girlfriend, Kim Yerim, shared an intimate moment at the airport today,” the announcer said.

          My eyes widened.

          “As many fans know,” the announcer continued, “Infinite has been doing exceedingly well in Japan. Today, the members came back and Yerim was waiting for L at the airport. The two calmly reunited and headed through the crowd to the van outside. However, there were too many people at the airport at the time, causing complications for the couple. Yerim was stuck in the mob but L heroically saved her!”

          The special showed a video of L and Yerim walking to the van. He was ahead of her and she was stuck in the mob. He then turned around and grabbed her hand, pulling her into the van with him.

          The scene seemed so familiar to me, and it finally occurred to me that this has happened to me before. He did the exact thing to me once, too. Now it was Yerim.

          “L and Yerim rarely publically share moments together, so this was definitely a treat for their fans,” the announcer said.

          I clung tightly onto the remote in my hand, the anger roaring inside of me. I was secretly hoping that the special would somehow include me. Make a comparison perhaps. I just wanted L to be associated with me. Didn’t people know that this has happened before? That Yerim hadn’t been the first girl that he’s been with?

          Suddenly the special switched over to an interviewer and Yerim.

          “Kim Yerim has also revealed some great news today!” the announcer said.

          “So Yerim-shii,” the interview said. “You and L have been together for a while. What are you guys’ plans for the future?”

          Yerim shot out a fake laugh and curled a strand of split-ended hair behind her ear. “Well,” she said, “Just last night, he and I were hanging out. And then he got down on one knee. And proposed to me.”

          No…this can’t be…

          “Whoa what?” the interviewer exclaimed. “You and L-shii are getting married?!”

          “Yes we are!” Yerim beamed. “He has bought me the ring, of course.” She showed her left hand to the camera. On her ring finger was a perfectly encrusted diamond ring. “He and I will be husband and wife. Forever.”

          I held my hand to my chest; feeling like the world was spinning. I sank to the ground, the tears already running down my cheeks.

          “N-No…this can’t be true…he can’t be proposing to her,” I said to myself.

          In complete denial, I ran to Entrust and looked for Ashton.

          “Ashton! Ashton!” I yelled out.

          He turned around and I said, “It’s not true, is it? Please tell me it’s not true!”

          “I’m sorry ______,” Ashton said. “I’m so, so sorry. I never thought that this would happen.”

          “No,” I said. “You’re lying! H-He wouldn’t do this to me! He said he loved me he said…” I sobbed and wiped my face. “…he said he loved me. He said so!”

          “______ please—

          I ran out of there, going out into a full on sprint as I ran all the way back home. I slammed the front door shut, sinking down onto the floor and curling up into a pitiful ball.

          Back at Entrust, Ashton bit his lip sympathetically and whipped out his phone.

 

 

Them

          “So, did you check the papers yet?”

          Myungsoo shook his head and dug into his steak. “Nope,” he said with his mouth full. “Why?”

          “Well,” Yerim started. “I told everyone in an interview that—

          Suddenly, Myungsoo’s phone rang. “Sorry,” he said. “Hello?”

          “Myungsoo-ah,” Ashton said through the line. “Why would you do this?”

          “Do what?” Myungsoo asked, puzzled.

          “Don’t act like you don’t know. How can you propose to Yerim?” Ashton asked.

          Myungsoo almost choked on his food. “W-What?!” he asked in disbelief. “Where did you hear that?!”

          “Your little girlfriend didn’t tell you?” Ashton smirked. “She just announced to the entire world that you proposed and bought her a ring. _______ came in here about five minutes ago and was practically in denial.”

          Myungsoo immediately stood up. “Where is she?” he asked immediately, already starting to leave.

          “Myungsoo what are you doing?!” Yerim yelled. “Where are you going?!”

          But Myungsoo wasn’t listening to her as he ran out of the restaurant and to the streets.

          “I think she ran home,” Ashton said. “You have a lot of explaining to do Myungsoo.”

          Myungsoo hung up and tried to hail a taxi as fast as he could.

When he finally made it to your house, he practically ran up to your front door. You were still crying just behind it, a phone in your hand. You’d been staring at the one picture you’d kept of you and Myungsoo, not having the heart to delete it. It pained you to see how happy you guys used to be.

          “______!” Myungsoo said as he banged his hands on the door. “______! Please! Open up!”

          You recognized his voice immediately and kept quiet for a while, with Myungsoo still pounding on the door.

          “______ please,” he said again. “Please open the door. I know you’re there.”

          After a long while, you headed upstairs. Myungsoo was still outside, trying to get you to open the door for him. You sat by the window, staring down at him. You waited to see when he would leave and didn’t dare let him know that you were there. Soon, of course, he gave up and decided to go home. You sadly watched him leave, until the very last bit of him disappeared around the corner.

          “I’m sorry,” you heard yourself say, “that we couldn’t be ‘just friends’.”

 

 

A/N: i know it might seem confusing right now but all will be revealed in time! And I've made a trailer for this story that basically depicts what happened so far quite accurately LOL you can watch it here