A Tale of Two Birthdays

Saying I Love You Twice

 

THE NATION’S COUPLE FINALLY GET COUPLE RINGS!

 

          “Good job on your part ______.”

          I grimaced at Ashton’s comment and tried my best to balance my phone between my shoulder and cheek.

          “I didn’t even tell you that you guys needed couple rings. And yet you got them anyways! Is somebody growing feeelinggsss?” I could practically see his wink.

          “Haha very funny,” I said sarcastically. “But no. I didn’t know what else to give him. It was a last resort.”

          “But it’s easy to get a present for Myungsoo,” Ashton said. “A polo shirt, cologne, even a cupcake or something and he’d be a happy boy.”

          That’s what I’d been thinking in the first place.

          “His birthday’s coming up in about a month too,” Ashton informed.

          My eyes widened. “Really? When?”

          “Same day as yours. March 13th.”

          “We have the same birthday?”

          “Seems like it.”

          “Hmm…” I considered this. “That’s odd. What are the chances of us having the same birthday? But then again…it probably means nothing.”

          Ashton could be heard chuckling on the other end of the phone. “Everything’s been right in front of your eyes. I’m wondering when you’re going to stop being so blind.”

 

 

          L and I were both pretty busy in Japan. Photo shoots, fan meetings, recordings, and the list just went on and on. I’d figured that I’d forget about his birthday, but it was quite hard considering that it was on the same day as mine.

          D-Day finally came. As far as I knew, Infinite and I had both been in Korea for a couple of days now. I woke up that morning with a heavy feeling in my heart. From what, I didn’t know. But it was there.

          I still had a schedule today: an interview appearance and one song recording. I was used to being busy on my birthday though. It’d never been anything special since my birth. My parents were always busy and out of the house. I didn’t blame them either. We weren’t the richest family on the block, and they had to do what they had to do in order to get me food and shelter. Of course they’d bring home a cake and a couple of presents but it’d never been anything grand. The only difference when I debuted was that I got more presents. Nothing else changed much. My birthday was still considered quite nonchalant.

          Maybe that was why I got so excited when Jaejoong called me that afternoon.

          “Hey _______,” his husky voice said through the phone.

          “Hey oppa,” I said. “What’s up?”

          “Hm…a very blue sky.”

          I laughed. “Very funny oppa.”

          “And since it’s such a beautiful day today, in addition to your birthday, I say we go do something,” Jaejoong proclaimed.

          I was surprised at his sudden invitation and even pinched myself to make sure that I wasn’t dreaming.

          “S-Seriously?” I asked.

          “Well yeah. It’s your birthday. If you’re not doing anything with your boyfriend then I’d be happy to take you somewhere.” Jaejoong paused. “You’re not doing anything with him, are you?”

          “No! Nothing at all! He’s probably having his own celebration anyways,” I replied, even though I wasn’t sure if what I was saying was true.

          “Great! Meet me at my house in an hour maybe?”

          “Oh yeah…” I laughed. “I keep forgetting that you guys all live separately now instead of together in one dorm.”

          Jaejoong laughed along with me. “Haha yeah. That’s what happens as you get more and more successful over the years, I guess. But it’s great how I don’t have to pick up after four other guys anymore. Or wash their underwear. Or cook food for them even though it’s quite fun.” Jaejoong paused. “ANYWAYS, see you in an hour haha.”

          “Haha see you then oppa!”

          The both of us hung up on each other and I smiled in excitement. I was actually doing something for my birthday! Not only that, but the man I loved the most was going to be the one spending it with me! I was so excited, so stoked about this opportunity, that I’d almost forgotten about the boy who shared the same birthday as me.

          I stared at the black gift bag sitting on my desk. I kind of wondered what the death note kid was doing on his birthday, but figured that he’d be with s and stuff anyways. He shouldn’t need me. So I went over to the Woollim building and dropped off his present before going off to see Jaejoong. I knew that if L and I were really dating, that this would be the worst thing that me, as a girlfriend, could ever do. But we weren’t really dating, so this shouldn’t really matter. He knows who I love anyways. But no matter how much I tried to convince myself of these things, I still felt guilty deep down inside.

 

 

          Jaejoong’s house was really grand. Its interior was extravagant and very well designed. I was in so much awe when I entered it that I’d almost tripped over Jiji.

          “Eep!”

          I heard Jaejoong’s laugh behind me. “Too amazed?”

          “Very,” I replied. “Your house is beautiful.”

          Jaejoong picked up Jiji and held the gray cat in his arms. “Want to hold him?” he asked.

          I nodded and said, “Sure.” I played around with Jiji and made funny faces at it. He didn’t seem phased or anything though.

          “I like Vick better,” I said. “He actually shows emotions.”

          Jaejoong laughed as I handed Jiji back to him. “Vick’s with my parents. Jiji’s just easier to take care of since I’m so busy. But if you get the chance, maybe you can visit him or something at my parent’s place.”

I smiled at him and felt my heart grow fluttery at the thought. “That’d be nice.”

Jaejoong smiled back and his eyes suddenly landed on my couple ring. “Nice ring,” he commented.

“O-Oh…” I had the sudden urge to take it off. “Thanks, I guess.”

Jaejoong told me that he’d drive us to wherever we were going. I took a seat in his super duper clean Bentley, not used to such luxuriousness. I’d been hanging out with that dork so much that I’d forgotten what stardom and fame was actually supposed to be like. I was supposed to be used to grand houses and overly priced cars. So why was I was so surprised at everything Jaejoong owned?

Maybe I was beginning to realize how different their two worlds were. They may be similar in many aspects, but the world of a hoobae and a sunbae were completely different.

I mentally slapped myself. I was with Jaejoong right now, the man of my dreams. He was driving me somewhere for my birthday, where the two of us can spend time together without having that dork interrupt us. I was supposed to be putting all of my attention on him, not spending the car ride thinking useless thoughts about the death note kid. This was ridiculous. How much more pathetic could I get?

“Where are we going anyways?” I asked.

          “We are going to be normal South Korean citizens today,” Jaejoong replied. “And spend the day like a normal boy and girl. So the question is: where do you want to go?”

          “Anything is fine, really,” I said. “I’m already happier than I’ve ever been on my birthday because I’m spending it with you.”

          Jaejoong gazed at me before turning his eyes back onto the road. He smiled and said, “The carnival it is.”

 

 

Them

          Myungsoo walked through the door of his dorm.

          “SURPRISE!” the Infinite members, managers, and various staff members shouted.

          “Hahahaha thanks guys!” Myungsoo exclaimed cheerfully as he hugged s.

          Ashton emerged from the crowd and peered around. “Where’s ______?” he asked.

          Myungsoo shrugged. “Haven’t seen her all day.”

          “Oh yeah.” Woollim CEO Lee Jung Yeop pulled out a bag. “A secretary told me to give this to you.”

          Everyone peered at the small black bag and Myungsoo felt an ominous premonition run through his body. He took the bag and read the tag:

 

Happy Birthday Dork

-_______

 

          “Did she just drop this off at the building?” Myungsoo asked Jung Yeop.

          The CEO shrugged. “That’s what the secretary told me.”

          “I left her a message on her answering machine,” Ashton said. “I told her to meet up with you so that you two could come back to the dorm and be surprised together. But I guess she left her phone at home or something.”

          “Or she hasn’t been looking at it,” Myungsoo added, although he’d somewhat meant that for himself. He wanted to throw the bag onto the ground in frustration and anger but set it gently on the table.

          How could she do this to me? On my birthday? Because our birthdays are the same I thought we were going to spend it together.

          “Wait, but her schedule ended at 1 and it’s 5 right now,” Ashton said. “Where could she be?”

          Myungsoo had a feeling that he knew exactly what you were doing and who you were with, but didn’t want to say it.

          “She’ll see the message later anyways,” Ashton said. “She usually always checks her phone. Let us all eat first.”

          The members agreed and everyone in the room sat down to eat. Myungsoo checked his phone and found about 14 messages of Yerim spamming him with happy birthday related things, but not even one message from you. He’d sent you a birthday message. But you still hadn’t replied.

          Is she having that much fun with him?

          “Myungsoo,” Woohyun called. “Are you going to eat?”

          Myungsoo nodded and set his phone down before heading over to the table of food. Everyone had prepared such a spectacular meal and yet you weren’t there to eat it with him. The thought of you with another guy on such a special day made him more sad than angry.

          Whatever, he thought, she wasn’t even mine to begin with.

 

You

          It was an amazing day with Jaejoong. In addition to the carnival, we also went to go watch a movie.

          “And his face when he tripped!” I was saying as Jaejoong and I exited the theatre.

          “Priceless,” Jaejoong replied in agreement.

          I giggled and walked beside him. “Wow it’s already dark,” I commented. I took out my phone and listened to the message that Ashton had recorded for me.

          “_______, meet up with Myungsoo and go to the dorm okay? We have something special planned for the couple!”

          .

          I opened a text message:

 

FR: Dork

SENT: 12:00 AM

Happy Birthday Yeobo

 

          My eyes widened. How could I’ve not seen that text message?! When he’d sent it right when my birthday started?! Had I been that preoccupied when Jaejoong called me? I felt terrible. I knew that that guilty feeling inside of me had to mean something. I hadn’t met up with him. Ashton had sent me the voicemail in the afternoon and it was the evening now. Whatever ‘surprise’ they were planning was probably done by now because I hadn’t checked my phone.

          “Sorry Jaejoong,” I said. “It was a very fun day with you but I have to go.”

          “Wait, where?” Jaejoong asked. “Do you need a ride?”

          “No, it’s okay,” I said. “It’s just right down the street. Um…” I bit my lip. I hated leaving him like this but I was already late as it was. “I’ll see you later oppa,” I said. I waved and turned away from him as quickly as I could, because I knew that if I stayed there any longer that I would’ve just gone off with him anyways.

But today was the death note kid’s birthday too. I didn’t want to ruin it or anything. So maybe that’s why I ran just a bit faster to the boys’ dorm: because I cared.

 

 

          When I barged into the dorm there wasn’t much going on, actually. The majority of the people in the dorm were huddled around a small wooden table, playing a game of cards and gambling.

          Sungyeol took notice of me. “______! You’re here!”

          The Infinite members put their cards down and ran up to me, giving me a group hug. “HAPPY BIRTHDAY ______!” they all chimed.

          “Thanks guys!” I said. I peered around and noticed that the dork was missing. “Um…where’s L?” I asked.

          Ashton walked up to me and I can tell that the expression on his face was not a pleased one. “On the rooftop,” he said. “He’s been waiting for you, ______.”

          I swallowed hard. I knew that when this was over that I’d have to endure a whole lecture from him. But for now I proceeded with whatever I could.

          I made my way up to the rooftop. Upon entering I had no trouble distinguishing the lonesome figure leaning his elbows against the railings, staring up at the night sky.

          I cautiously walked over to him and poked him. “Boo,” I said.

          L merely glanced at me before turning his gaze back to the night sky.

          I sighed, suddenly realizing how hard this was actually going to be. “L-ah,” I said. “Please don’t be mad at me, okay? I forgot to check my phone all day and I’m sorry.”

          “Are you really?” L asked.

          “Yes I am. Why wouldn’t I be?” I asked. I noticed a black gift bag beside his feet. “Did you open my present?”

          L shook his head.

          I picked up the bag and shoved it into his arms. “Open it now!”

          L gave me a look and I had the urge to just give up but pressed on with trying to make him happy anyways. It was his birthday. It was the both of ours.

          “Open it, please? Oppa?”

          Me calling him oppa made him smile a little bit. I’d never been so grateful to see his smile in my entire life, even if it was a small one. “Oppa,” L repeated as he took the bag from me. “Sounds nice, doesn’t it?”

          “Too bad it isn’t right,” I said. “Now open it!”

          L’s smile grew wider and I was happy at seeing such a sight. L dug his hands into the bag full of tissue paper and took out a red and black plaid flannel.

          “I know you already have many of them,” I said, “but you got me something to wear so I wanted to get you something to wear too.”

          L looked at me. “Are you…”

          I smiled and ed my jacket, revealing the floral shirt that he’d bought me for Valentine’s Day.

          “You’re…wearing it,” L said, looking at me from head to toe. If I didn’t know any better I would’ve thought that he was checking me out or something.

          “Yes. Now put on the flannel I bought for you!”

          “Right here? Right now?”

          “Yes.”

          L took off his jacket and slipped on the flannel over his t-shirt. It looked great on him like I thought it would.

          “Does it fit?” I asked.

          “Perfectly,” L said. “Should we take pictures? For twitter? It is a special day after all.”

          I nodded. “Sure.”

          The both of us took pictures with each other and I liked the one that I took with him so much that I even set it as my cell phone wallpaper.

          “You were with Jaejoong the whole day, right?” L asked.

          “Yeah,” I said. “I’m—

          “Don’t say you’re sorry,” L said. “We’re…not even really dating anyways. You should be free to hang out with whoever you want on your birthday.”

          It was weird hearing these words come out of his mouth, because they were always coming out of mine. The way he said it made me feel somewhat depleted. Like none of this wasn’t even supposed to mean anything because we were fake. I then started to wonder if this was how he felt whenever I said those words…

          “Let’s go inside,” L said. “We didn’t eat cake yet so I should tell them to stop gambling and bring it out.”

          “You didn’t eat cake yet?” I asked. “Were you guys really waiting for me?”

          “What else could we do?” L asked sarcastically.

          “Sorry,” I said again.

          “You’ve that word many times to me today.”

          “Because I really am sorry.”

          L patted my head. “It’s okay ______. At least you’re here now.”

          Even with L’s words of forgiveness, I still couldn’t shake off that guilty feeling in my heart that’s been following me around all day.

          L and I blew out the candles on our cake and enjoyed it with pleasure. The both of us opened the rest of our presents and the night ended smoothly.

          I was just about to leave when Ashton stopped me. “Not so fast missy,” he said. I sensed the scolding tone in his voice. “Where do you think you’re going after making everyone wait?”

          “I apologized to L,” I stated. “He forgave me.”

          “Yeah but I didn’t forgive you yet.”

          “Ashttonnn,” I whined.

          “I know how you can make it up to me though.” He smirked. “You’re not going anywhere tonight _______. In fact, you’ll be staying here, overnight, with your boyfriend.”

          My eyes widened. “B-Bwoh?”

 

A/N: tried to write a long chapter! hehe :)