Denying the Facts

Saying I Love You Twice

 

          Ring Ring~

“Hi ______.”

          “Hey dork.”

          “Watcha doin right now?” L asked me over the phone.

          “Watching a video of you touching Woori’s leg very -ishly,” I replied.

A laugh erupted from L on the other line. “HAHAHAAHA are you watching our dance together?”

          “Maybe.”

          L laughed again. “Hahahaha why would you be watching that dance?”

          “Because I wanted to see how much you at dancing.”

          “Ay don’t go all ape on me okay? The choreographer made me do it.”

          “Well then your choreographer is cray.”

          “You’re only saying that because you’re jealous,” L stated.

          “Am not.”

          “Are too!”

          “We are not having this conversation,” I declared. “So why is it that you called me again?”

          “Where are you?” L asked.

          “On break from a photo shoot,” I replied.

          “Okay good. We can talk.”

          “About?”

          L took a deep breath and it was silent for a few seconds. “Um so…” He paused. “My parents want to meet you.”

          My eyes bugged out and I almost choked. “A-Are you serious?”

          “Yeah…I can tell them no if you want to, I mean it’s—

          “No,” I said. “I’ll…I’ll do it. I’ll go meet your parents with you.” Part of me was excited to meet the dork’s family. I had no clue why though.

          “Whoa, really? That was easy,” L mumbled. “I thought I would have to face more hardcore rejection from you.”

          “What do you mean hardcore rejection?” I asked. “I’m not that mean!”

          “Yes you are,” L said calmly. “I have to face your ‘no’s’ and ‘dorks’ every single day. It’s a wonder I haven’t gone suicidal because of you yet.”

          I laughed at his joke and my heart suddenly felt very warm. It was nice talking to someone like this, laughing with someone like this. We could joke around so easily and yet everything would still be fine.

          “Thank you,” I said softly.

          “For what?” L asked.

          “For always making me smile.”

          There was a pause on the other end and I started to wonder if what I said was a little too “touchy” for us. I didn’t want him to misunderstand or anything. I made a move to say something else when L’s voice filled my ears.

          “You’re welcome,” L said. “Just know that…I’ll always hope to make you smile rather than cry.”

          “Why would you make me cry?” I asked.

          “I never will. That’s the point,” L said.

          “But what if you like, step on my foot or something?” I asked jokingly.

          “Wow ______ way to ruin the moment!” L exclaimed. “Whatever. Forget what I said.”

          “No, you already declared it,” I said. “I hope you keep your word.”

          “Don’t worry. I will.”

 

 

          The following weekend L drove over to my house so that we could ride to his parent’s place together. I stepped out of my house in the floral shirt. L stepped out of his car in the plaid flannel.

          Perfect.

          “You look very pretty,” L said.

          “And you, look very handsome,” I replied.

          L smiled in response and the both of us got into his car. The ride to his parent’s place was silent, but I liked it that way. The both of us didn’t have much to say anyways. If anything, I felt like our relationship was getting better and better each time we saw each other. It was weird seeing him as more of a blessing rather than an annoying kid who was forced to be my boyfriend. I never had a thing for younger guys anyways. But there was something about L that made me smile.

          “And this is my younger brother,” L said, gesturing over to a boy not much younger than him, “Kim Moonsoo.”

          Moonsoo shook my hand with a goofy smile. “Noona neomu yeoppo,” he said dreamily.

          I was taken aback but tried not to show it too much. I was flattered, actually. “Thank you, Moonsoo-ah,” I said.

          “You’re lucky. She calls you by your real name,” L mumbled.

          I shot him a glare and he shut up.

          L’s parents didn’t know that my relationship with him was fake. I don’t think they’d want to know that the company was using him and me in such a way for fame. I was also scared that they’d hate me if they knew that I was using him. Even though our relationship was fake, I still wanted them to like me. So the both of us kept it a secret.

          During dinner I was happy to know that his parents approved of me. It was easy to converse with them and the dinner went along swimmingly. A certain conversation caught my eye, though.

          “Hyung, remember the days when I’d catch you singing ______’s songs in the shower?” Moonsoo reminisced.

          “Moonsoo-ah, shut up,” L hissed through his gritted teeth.

          “Oh yes and when he would work overtime all week just so he could have money to buy her new photo book,” his mom added with a pleased smile.

          “Umma.”

          But of course, no one was listening to L’s commands.

          “And how he wouldn’t accept money from us because he wanted to buy concert tickets with his own money,” Mr. Kim said.

          “Yeah! He said it’d be more ‘special’ if he bought it with his own money,” Moonsoo said.

          “Guys,” L snapped. “Stop embarrassing me.”

          “Aww look he’s blushing!” Mrs. Kim cooed.

          “Hyung really, really likes you,” Moonsoo whispered to me. “I was the one who made him go to the concert where he first saw you in person. I swear, he had his eyes on you for the entire hour. It was the first time seeing him so—

          “Shut up,” L barked.

          “Yes sir.” Moonsoo quailed back.

          I laughed and said, “Was that really true?”

          L shook his head and said, “Don’t listen to them. They’re just looking for ways to embarrass me.” No one brought up the subject again and he didn’t dare to evaluate it or anything.

          That dork. He’s my fan and yet he still tries to hide it. I wonder why. It’s not like he should be ashamed of liking me as a fan or anything.

          “It was great meeting you today _______,” Mrs. Kim said at the end of dinner. “To be honest, my husband and I were quite worried about our son’s whereabouts but he seems to be quite happy and content in your hands. Take care of him well.”

          I bowed. “I’ll do my best.”

          “Your girlfriend is so beautiful hyung,” Moonsoo said. “Smart, witty, and nice too! I’m so jealous. Give me props though, since I was the one who practically introduced you to her—

          “Moonsoo-ah,” L snapped again. “Stop lying.”

          “Hyung, you didn’t tell her that we were her—

          “Bye umma bye appa!” L said, cutting his little brother off.

          “Come back soon Myungsoo-ah!” L’s parents said in unison. Moonsoo pouted but waved to us anyways.

          “Well that was a successful dinner,” I commented during the ride back.

          L nodded in response and hesitantly said, “Look, about the things that my brother said during the dinner. Just forget about it, okay?”

          “Why?” I asked.

          “Don’t worry about it.”

          “What’s so bad about letting me know that you’re a fan?” I asked.

          “I’m not, so forget about it.”

          “Why do you keep denying it?”

          “I’m not.”

          I didn’t want to have an argument with him, so I stopped right there. During times like these where I’m frustrated with him, I can’t help but compare him to Jaejoong. Would Jaejoong ever deny being my fan if he was one? I doubt it. He’s too outspoken to hold anything in, much less not answer a question that I already knew the answer to. But does Jaejoong make me smile and laugh the way L does? I wasn’t so sure anymore.