Graduation Day

Love Letters,Photographs & Diaries

 

Hebe looked at herself in the mirror as she donned her caps on gown .She fixed her hair and how she would like it to be when she put on her cap.Somehow,she have this feeling of loneliness in her heart and emptiness.Ahhh after tonight,she will leave her known playground forever.

Her Mom is already dressed and ready to go to school when she came out of her room,her elder sister is not home and the baby is with the maid to stay at home.Her younger sister Rainie is staying with her grandma eversice she was five and she is not even here today.How come all the important event in her life is often plagued with misfortunes and bad events?Unlike her older sister graduation when everybody is around and there is always a big celebration.Her life must be coupled with bad luck,nothing seems to be going right in her life right now.

The place where they will be having their graduation is in the school ground.The chairs are all ready and the stage have lights and the caption of "Commencement Program...Congratulations Graduates"stood boldly on the stage.She is in the line now getting ready to march in their seat to start the program.She was looking around,looking for Selina,and Ella and yes looking for Yesung.She felt a tap on her shoulder as she turned around hoping it is Yesung and,it was Kyuhyun with a big smile on his face.he looked handsome tonight.

"Hey,congratulation.We finally made it." he said.

"Yes" as she smiled at him,and noticed that his Mom was with him.

"Mom,that is Hebe.you know her Mom, right?" he said in his informal introduction to his Mom."And my Mom.She wants to see you." he said non chalantly.

Hebe smiled.She couldn't understand,Kyuhyun's introduction to his Mom,and why would she like to meet her.

"Ah,so you are Hebe.my son talks about you a lot." she said.

"Mom..." as Kyuhyun said in a warning....as  she did noticed the heightened color in his cheeks.

"Alright,I have to go.I was wondering if you can join us for dinner after the program?" she asked.

"I am sorry,but my Mom has planned something also."she said,as she shyly smiled at her.

"It is alright,maybe next time." she said "I think I have to go to my seat now.Congratulations." she said as she turned to leave.

Hebe looked around and as she caught sight of Yesung and he was with Geun Young.She felt a little bit of pain and disappointment.Here it is,their graduation and her friend is not even looking for her,but hanging out with that girl.She turned around,hoping that Yesung did not catch her looking at him.And then Selina and Ella came as they hugged one another and took pictures of one another ,as they giggled and laughed together for the last time in their school ground.She will missed her friends but hen,they are all going to the same school anyway.There is only one high school in their town,and so all of them will be together again for the next four years and so she thought.

Yesung did not come to her until ,it is almost time for them to march on their seat.Since,he is the valedictorian and then followed by her as the salutatorian.She tried to ignored her,since,he doesn't seem to be eager and excited to see her tonight,as she looked straight when he came near her.He was all smiles to her.He looked so happy.It must be Geun Young attention to him that made him smile that way and she was mad at him and at herself.

"Hebe,so you have been here?' he said.

"Yes,I have been here.Where were you?" she asked with irritation in her voice.She knows that she should not be mad at him,after all it is their graduation day,but she can't help herself.

"I was talking to Geun Young.I gave my graduation gift to her.I have something for you too." he said.

"I don't want it.You can keep it or  give it to her too." she said as she turned around and soon enough the march has started.

Although,they were seated next to each other,Hebe completely ignored Yesung throughout the program.She just wants to whacked his head or something.She was so mad at him...

And then Yesung has to come up to deliver his valedictory address.His speech is funny as he tell part of their history in the school,and lastly he thanked the parents,and teachers and fellow students for making it memorble and fruitful and then she didn't know that Yesung will include her as one of the people that he  thanked  for making it a very special one,as she heard her name being mentioned by him.And then somehow the guilt over took her.here she was so mad at him and then this.She felt so stupid for acting act up that way earlier,but then she can help herself.Sometimes she always hated herself for being not able to control her own emotins.When she is mad,she can't hide it.And she always have a hard time in controlling her own emotions.Her Mom said that she is very temperamental,and yes so maybe .....Maybe later on,she can talk to Yesung and say her sorry to him....

And soon enough the program was over as they handed their medals and ribbons and trophies.They took pictures with their parents,with their classmates.and they they tossed their caps to the air as the program has ended.And as they march out from the venue.There  were lots of noises and laughters....as Hebe looked at it all and tried to remember it in her heart.

She felt Yesung's hand on her shoulder,just as she was about to go,and yes,she has not thanked him yet and say sorry to him for her behavior earlier.Everybody seems to be rushing to get out.

"Hebe,wait for me.I want a picture of us together." he said.

Hebe looked at him and smiled."Sure,be sure to give me a copy." she said.as they both smiled and his Mom took the picture of them together."Yesung,I am so sorry about earlier."

"What about?" he asked."Don't worry about it.I should know you by now.I won't be your friend for nothing." as he smiled.

"So do you want your gift now?" he asked.

Hebe nodded,as she looked down.Yesung gave her a small box as she looked at him."I got nothing for you." she said.

"It is alright.You owed me one.I will collect it next graduation." he said."Why don't you open it now ?"

"I want to open it at home.I want it to be special.Thank you Yesung for the gift and for the special mention of my name on your speech .Do you really mean it?" Hebe asked.

"No,I didn't mean it.I just can't think of any other name and I saw you in front of me." he said as he laughed so hard.And as he noted the changed of her expression.He laughed some more,."You are so foolish,of course I meant it.You made our grade school very special." as he pulled her in his arms."My bestfriend."

Hebe feel like crying at that time ,there is just too much emotions for one day ,as she let the tears came.Somehow her graduation day seeems to mark as such a roller coaster ride in her life.Yesung looked at her with such an amusement and affection in his eyes,as he wiped away her tears.

Hebe laughed with him,even in tears.

April 12,1972

Today is my graduation day.And it is such sort of mixed emotions on my part.I was happy that this is over and yes another milestone in my life and then at the same time,sad,cause I have to part from the security of my old school.They say that graduation is the beginning and the end.I still don't know what will be ending in my life and don't know what will be the beginning in my life.

My sister sent me a card and Rainie too.How come my two sisters are not here.My Dad is still in the hospital.Still my Mom made an effort to make it special.She always tried so hard to make our family happy and intact.We had dinner after graduation.And yes I enjoyed it.Selina and Ella and their family joined us ,so we are still one big happy family after all.Yesung got a celebration of their own in their house ,and so is Kyuhyun too.

As I was to go to bed,I opened the gift that Yesung gave me.And it is a silver bracelet with a heart charms with my name on it.I felt so special having his gifts as I hugged it to my chest..I wondered what Yesung gift to Geun Young though.I wonder if it is as special as mine ?But still I won't take away the happiness of his gifts to me.I am special to him.He even mentioned my name on his speech and he said that I made his stay in our school very special.And that he meant it.He never mentioned her name,only mine.But I wonder if Yesung is just being shy mentioning her name.But still I am special,and I just knew it.Even to Kyuhyun I am special....I guess...I am special after all...

Hebe