Chapter 39

A Long Wait

 

Jackie stretched her arms and looked out the window. “Well it looks like it’s time for me to go” she said while getting up. The four girls were talking too much that they didn’t even notice that I was getting late. “I have to pick up mum and dad at the airport” she told Amber.

Shinhye’s eyes brightened “I’m defiantly coming over tomorrow” she told her cousin. Shinhye was feeling happy to be able to see her favourite Aunty and Uncle. Jackie nodded and said bye to everyone before leaving.

“I’m hungry” Amber whined while walking towards the kitchen. Amber walked in to see Sunggyu and Woohyun eating dinner. “What are you guys doing?” she asked.

Sunggyu looked up at her and pointed at the spaghetti that they were eating “Eating” he told her.

Amber rolled her eyes “Why didn’t you call us instead of leaving us out”

“We did call you guys, but you were too busy talking. Are girls always like this?” Woohyun asked Sunggyu, he just shrugged obviously not knowing the answer to his question.

“Ya, Woohyun!”

“We left you guys some” Woohyun told her. Amber’s frown turned to a smile while she looked at the stove. “Guy’s dinner is ready!”

The three girls started eating while Woohyun and Sunggyu were already finished eating. While eating someone’s phone rang. “Is that my phone?” Shinhye asked while getting up to collect it.

She looked at the ID and frowned.

“Are you not going to pick it up?” Amber asked. Shinhye shook her head and pressed on the red button and sat back down. Everyone’s eyes were on her. “It was my dad. I can tell what he wants to talk about” she told them

“That’s why I turned my phone off” Woohyun told her.

Shinhye did what he did and sighed. She wasn’t ready to face her parents. She felt sad that she disappointed them for stopping the wedding and shouting at them but at the same time she was happy. She was happy that she was finally able to stand up to them and have a say in something.

After a while everyone was done eating and was planning on going straight to bed. While everyone was asleep Alex took that as an opportunity to get some fresh air. She sneaked out of Amber’s room that she was sharing with her and Shinhye and walked towards the front door and put her shoes on.

Alex didn’t seem to notice someone was behind her “Where are you going?”

Alex turned around to see Woohyun standing behind her with a glass of water. He must of felt thirsty she thought. Alex finished putting her shoes on and shrugged “Just wanted to get some fresh air” she told him.

“Can I come?” he asked her.

Alex had no choice but to let him, he would have followed in the end anyways. Woohyun grabbed his grey cardigan and quickly put his shoes on when she agreed to let him join her. He thought that if he was quick enough she wouldn’t change her mind.

While walking down the road no one said a word. It wasn’t like they were supposed to talk; Alex wanted fresh air not talk so she kept quiet Woohyun didn’t mind the silence; it was a comfortable one so he didn’t mind.

Alex let out a sigh and put her hands in her jumper pocket and felt her phone. Should I listen to the voicemail? Alex thought. She was scared to hear the last words that her father left her. What if it wasn’t what she expected?

Alex once again sighed and that caught Woohyun attention.

“Alex” he called out her name.

“Mind taking me to the beach?” he asked her when she looked up at him. Alex frowned “At this time?” she asked. Woohyun nodded, Alex thought about it for a bit. As Amber’s house was just a few blocks away from the beach it wouldn’t hurt to go there. “Fine, let’s go” she lead the way again and Woohyun followed.

They soon reached the beach and they both sat down on the sand. It was hard to see the ocean because of the dark but you could still hear it. Alex was actually glad that Woohyun mentioned going to the beach. She didn’t realize how much she missed it. Seoul was too far away from the beach, same with New York.

Alex thought back to when Jackie tried to teach her and Amber how to surf. It was a huge fail in the beginning but they soon got the hang of it. Alex chuckled when she thought about Amber falling of her surf board.

“What’s so funny?” Woohyun asked when he heard her chuckle.

Alex shook her head “Nothing, just thinking back on the last time I was here”

“Like what? What made you chuckle like that?” Woohyun wanted her to smile again just like a minute ago. Alex smiled when she thought about it again. “What made me chuckle was remembering when Amber fell of her surf board. Jackie was teaching us how to surf” she told him.

Alex put her hands in her pocket again and felt her phone again causing her to frown. “Seriously, what’s wrong with you?” Woohyun finally asked. Just a second ago she was telling him one of her funny memories and now she’s frowning.

“What do you mean?” she asked completely clueless.

“I know something’s up with you, I’ve been watching you for a while today. Come on say it out and you might feel even better. If you want we can go back and you can even talk to Amber about it” Woohyun seriously wanted to know what was up. He respected if she didn’t want to tell him but she should let it out sooner or later.

Alex sighed and took her phone out of her pocket “My dad left a voicemail and I’m scared to listen to it” she told him which shocked him. He really thought that she would go back to the apartment and wake Amber up but instead she’s telling him. Woohyun didn’t say anything and just listened.

“I’m scared about what he might say, his last words to me really, the last time I’m going to hear his voice. What if I don’t hear what I want to hear from him Woohyun? What if it just was a mistake that he called me, I just don’t know anymore” Alex blinked away the tears that were threatening to fall but she wouldn’t let it.

She cried enough and was even surprised she still had a few tears left in her.

“You’re going to be stuck with all those what ifs” Woohyun finally spoke and continued “You will only find your answers to those questions if you listen to the voicemail Alex. You can’t just avoid it like you do with any kind of situation.” He told her. Woohyun turned his body and looked at her, he noticed the tears that slipped down her cheeks and sighed.

“You don’t have to be scared Alex, I’ll be here while you listen to it. We don’t even have to do it today, maybe even tomorrow but you still have to do it sooner or later.” Alex thought about Woohyun’s advice. And he was right, Alex was tired of running away all the time and just wanted to face her all those complicated situations.

Alex looked down at her phone and typed in her password causing it to unlock. “I’m going to listen to it now”

“As in right now?” Woohyun asked with wide eyes.

“Yes Woohyun, now” Alex pressed 1 and pressed on to it until it went to voicemail. After pressing more numbers she finally heard her father’s words.

Hey princess, I just wanted to tell you something but I just realized that you must be busy with the wedding. I just want you to know that everything is prepared for when you come, just don’t be disappointed if things don’t turn out the way you want. The house is really messy as you know how I am with managing things, when you come we can just fix that. Hmm? I think that’s it for now, I’ll see you when you come back. See you when you get here, love you Alexandra and keep on smiling.