Chapter 34

A Long Wait

 

“Where is Alex?” Shinhye asked while someone was tightening her dress. Amber shrugged and stood up “I’m going to look for her” Amber said.

“Okay be quic—ah! Ajumma that’s too tight”

Amber left to room and started searching for Alex. After Shinhye was done with her dress she sat down and sighed. “This is going to be a long day” she said to herself. Shinhye felt something vibrating next to her and found Alex’s phone ringing. She picked it up and answered “Hello”

 

Alex looked at the door for a while trying to bring her senses back and trying to progress what just happened. “Friends?” Alex was not taking that and got up to go chase after him but got stopped when she left the room.

“Alex! There you are” Amber walked over to her as she can’t run in a dress. “Where the heck have you been?” Amber asked.

“Oh sorry I was asked to help out with something. But I need to go and do something really quick”

“No do it later you still haven’t worn your dress”

“Oh my gosh Amber I will be quick” Alex tried to reason with her. But it didn’t work when Amber decided to drag her back to their room to get changed. While walking up the stairs they saw Shinhye running down with a worried expression on her face. “What are you doing out here?  Do you want Woohyun to see you or something?” Amber said, but Shinhye ignored her and looked at Alex.

“Alex something happened”

“What?”

“What’s going on?” Before Shinhye could say anything Miss. Nam came to see how Shinhye was doing and came to see this instead. Everyone turned towards her, Shinhye sighed and ignored Woohyun’s mother and brought her attention back to Alex.

“You’re fathers hospital called” Shinhye told her as her eyes were watering. This caused Alex to have a bad feeling on what she’s about to say.

From the corner the boys were ready to go to the altar but stopped when they saw the scene that was happening on the stairs. “What’s going on?” Dongwoo asked in concern. Both Sunggyu and Woohyun were thinking the same thing.

Miss. Nam wasn’t fazed at all and rolled her eyes. “Park Shinhye you better get back upstairs and get ready. The wedding is going to start in a few minutes so—“

“I don’t give a damn about the wedding right now!” Shinhye was starting to feel the pressure and wasn’t taking it anymore from Woohyun’s mother. She doesn’t care anymore about the wedding. She never really did as it was by force. She had to learn to love Woohyun and in the end she did but things didn’t go the way she wanted.

“Park Shinhye” Miss. Nam said trying to keep herself calm but once again Shinhye ignored her and looked back at Alex. Shinhye didn’t want to be the one giving her the news. Just looking at her eyes right now is hurting Shinhye more. What would she do when she tells her?

“Shinhye what did they say?” Amber asked feeling inpatient.

Shinhye sighed “You’re...Your father passed away”

“What?” Amber said not believing what she said. Amber didn’t seem to be the only one who was in shock as Sunggyu, Woohyun and Dongwoo couldn’t understand how that could just happen like that. Alex didn’t say anything and looked at Shinhye with a blanked face.

Her legs felt numb and gave up on her causing her to fall down on her knees.

“Alex!” both Amber and Shinhye crouched down and tried to get a response from her. Out of reflex Woohyun and Sunggyu rushed over towards them but Woohyun got caught when his mother grabbed a hold of his arm. He looked at her in disbelieve “Don’t you dare.” She warned him. Woohyun glared at her and yanked his arm away from and ran towards Alex.

Is this really happening? Why does all of this have to happen on this day? Alex thought. Her father was the only family she had. After losing the mother she never met and having the father who took care of her no matter how hard it was for him he’s gone as well. Alex was looking down making her hair cover her face. She didn’t even try to hold in her tears.

“Alex please say something” Amber said while trying to hold in her sobs. Alex’s dad was like a second dad to Amber. Hearing this is heartbreaking especially when she still took care of him when Alex left.

Alex cried even harder when she felt someone hugging her. It was no other that Sunggyu.

“He’s gone” She said through her sobs. Sunggyu didn’t say anything but just held her in his arm.

Shinhye tried to stay strong for her but failed letting her tears fall. Shinhye turned away so no one could see her but saw Woohyun at the corner of her eyes. He looked hurt himself but was it because he of the bad news or because he wasn’t the one comforting her?

Alex slowly got up making Sunggyu let go of her. “I’m going back to the US” she told her while wiping her tears away. But that didn’t help as more streamed down. Amber also stood up “I’m coming with you”

“Amber I—“

“I’m coming with you.” She said more firmly. Alex sighed and nodded.

“Me too”

“Me and Shinhye will come as well” Woohyun said. Alex wanted to smile at them but couldn’t. She was happy to friends like them with her. “No you’re not. Do you guys know you missed the wedding” Miss. Nam once again brought in the forgotten wedding. Woohyun tried to keep his anger in and looked over at his mother “The wedding is off!” Woohyun told his mother. Shinhye looked worriedly at his mother and back at Alex “You guys might have to go without us. We’ll come after things are settled here” Shinhye told her. Alex nodded appreciating what she is doing for her.