Chapter 36

A Long Wait

 

 “Home sweet Home!” Amber smiled and took in the L.A heat. Alex was feeling a bit happy about being home again but thinking about how she won’t be seeing her dad at home anymore upsets her.

Sunggyu fanned himself and looked at Amber “How are you able to take this heat?” he asked.

Amber shrugged “It’s L.A, I’m used to it. Anyways lets hurry up we have a lot of things to do.” Amber leaded the way towards a taxi.

After a long drive they arrived at Amber’s apartment and set their stuff. Alex was staying in Amber’s room while Sunggyu was in one of the guest rooms. “Are you going to see him?” Amber asked while sitting on her bed. Alex followed and sighed “I don’t know if I’m ready to really.” She told her.

“I’ll come with you” Amber offered.

Alex smiled and nodded “Where are you parents?” Alex asked wanting to change the subject.

“They will be back tomorrow, they went to Atlanta. After hearing the news they got the first flight here” Amber told her. Alex nodded and smiled at the thought of seeing Amber’s parents again. Her parents were great people. They were like a second family to her.

“Anyways lets go to sleep, I just went to see Sunggyu and he already passed out” this caused Alex to laugh.

“Hmm sure” They both got under the cover but didn’t sleep yet. They were both wide awake still as it was just 6:30.  “Shinhye and Woohyun will be here tomorrow” Amber told her.

“Did they sort things out?”

Amber shrugged “Shinhye didn’t really say much on the phone” she yawned and soon felt tired.

“Are you going to your house soon?” Amber asked with her eyes closed. Alex thought about it for a while. Going back to her house where she was raised, with all the memories of her and dad would be hard thing to do. But in the end she told herself to be strong and go there in the end. “Yeah, have to sooner or later right” Alex said.

 

Shinhye and Woohyun arrived in L.A the next morning.

“Ah it’s been a while since I last came here” Shinhye said while stretching.

Woohyun looked at her “You’ve been here before?” he asked, obviously not expecting her to travel out of Asia. She nodded “I only came here when I was little. Ones or twice?” she said to herself while thinking about it but soon gives up as it was a long time ago. Shinhye took out her phone and dialled Amber’s number while Woohyun went to buy them some coffee.

Ring, ring...ring, ring...ring, ring...

“Hello” Shinhye could tell Amber just woke up by her voice. “Hurry up and come pick us up” Shinhye told her. She could hear Amber groaning at the other line and some ruffling noise. “Can’t you just get a taxi and come here? I’ll send you the address”

“Why can’t you pick us up?” Shinhye asked.

“The car broke down. I’ll send you the address okay. Bye!” before Shinhye could say anything Amber had already hung up. Shinhye sighed and looked at her phone with a frown on her face. “If that girl is lying I will seriously kill her” She said to herself.

Woohyun soon came with the hot drinks and handed it to her. Shinhye thanked him and explained what happened. Woohyun nodded, when Amber finally texted Shinhye her address they soon found a taxi and were heading to Amber’s apartment.

 

Back at the apartment Amber was laying on the couch with her phone on her stomach. When Shinhye called she walked out her room so she wouldn’t wake Alex up. But in the end she got too lazy to walk back and decided to sleep on the couch.

Sunggyu woke up and finished washing up a while ago and walked out of the room he was staying in. He saw Amber and chuckled “Isn’t it a bit uncomfortable?” he asked,

Amber groaned and turned making Sunggyu face her back. “Just let me sleep” she said.  Sunggyu just nodded and walked towards the kitchen. He looked inside the fridge and realised there was nothing in it. He sighed and closed it.

“Morning” Alex said.

Sunggyu looked behind him and saw Alex walking inside the kitchen. “Morning, how are you feeling?”  He asked.

“Okay I guess. There’s no food in the house is there” Alex said changing the subject. She didn’t feel like talking about how she felt or anything that was connected to her dad. If so she would feel even more depressed as she was now. Obviously Sunggyu was able to notice that she wasn’t alright. So as a friend he decided to cheer her up.

“Should we go buy some food?” he asked.

“Can’t you go by yourself?” Amber asked while walking in the kitchen. She was unable to fall back to sleep as her couch was very uncomfortable. Sunggyu shrugged “I might get lost” he told her.

Alex nodded and told him to wait for her. After she was done getting ready they headed for the door. “Be quick, Shinhye and Woohyun are on their way here now” Amber told them before walking to her bedroom.

“And here I thought it would take a long time to convince their parents” Sunggyu said to himself while following Alex out the apartment and towards the lift.

While Sunggyu was mumbling to himself Alex was thinking about Amber’s question last night, “Are you going to your house?”

Sunggyu looked over at Alex and saw her frown. “What’s wrong?” Sunggyu asked.

“Huh…Oh nothing, actually Sunggyu do you mind going with me somewhere later on?” Alex asked. She couldn’t think of a better time than now to do this.

 

“Aish! I’m coming!” Amber got woken up again by someone banging on the door.  She ruffled her short hair and opened the door to see an angry Shinhye. “Your car is downstairs” she told her.

Amber nodded “I know”

“You said—“

“Shinhye I say a lot of things” Amber said while walking inside the living room with Shinhye and Woohyun following. “You live here?” Woohyun asked. Amber nodded and sat on the couch. She’s finally decided to give up on sleeping.

“Aww wish you were still living with your parents. I haven’t seen them in a while” Shinhye whined and sat next to Amber. “I’m old enough to be living by myself” Amber told her.

Shinhye shook her head “No you not”

“Ya!”

“Where are Alex and Sunggyu?” Woohyun asked changing the subject. He didn’t want Shinhye and Amber to argue while he was here. “They went out to buy some food an hour ago”

“She went out? I wanted to give her phone back” Shinhye said while taking the phone out of her pocket.

“How far is the nearest convenient store?”Woohyun asked.

“Two blocks away”

Woohyun frowned “Why would it take them an hour then?” Amber noticed how Woohyun kept asking questions and wanted it to end it. One way of doing that was just shrug and say some words to shut him up and that’s what she did. “They probably went site seeing” with that she got up to make herself some breakfast.

 

Alex looked down at the key she was holding. She sighed and looked at the house on the left. She noticed that no one was at home as their car wasn’t at the front. Should she visit them later on? With Amber of course. Alex looked down at her hand again and sighed. She was staling, trying to think of a reason not to open the door and walk inside the house she hasn’t been in for a while.

“Are we not going in?” Sunggyu asked. He noticed her wavering and decided to push her a bit more. Alex was kind of startled to hear Sunggyu’s voice. She kind of forgot that he was with her.

Alex crouched down and placed the key back under the flower pot. “You know what never mind. Let’s go back” Alex turned to leave but Sunggyu did otherwise.

He bends down and picked up the key she placed under the flower pot.

Alex was blaming herself for coming here. “I shouldn’t have rushed this” she said to herself, “Ya Sunggyu why didn’t you—“Alex looked to her right thinking that Sunggyu was walking with her, but he wasn’t.

“Sunggyu?”

“You’re house is huge” Alex looked behind her and saw Sunggyu still standing in front of her house with the door wide open. “What are you doing?” Alex asked. Sunggyu turned his head towards her and smiled “Doing what you were supposed to do” with that he walked inside the house.

Alex looked at him in shock “Y-ya! You can’t just walk in somebody’s house like that!” She shouted while running after him. “But it’s your house.” Sunggyu chuckled “Who would have thought I would be I your childhood home.”

Alex closed the door behind her and followed him towards the living room. Sunggyu looked around the living room and picked up a picture of Alex and her parents when she was little. While Sunggyu was looking around Alex noticed how dusty it was in the house.

“Hey Sunggyu”

Sunggyu looked away from the picture to look up at Alex.

“Want to help me clean up the place?”

“Eh?”