Chapter 35

A Long Wait

 

Alex, Amber and Sunggyu were on their way to the airport while Woohyun and Shinhye stayed behind to talk to their parents.

Shinhye finished changing back into her normal clothes and packed her stuff until something caught her eyes. She picked it up and sighed “Alex must have forgotten her phone” she told herself. There was a knock on the door until Woohyun walked in.

“Are you ready?” he asked her. Shinhye nodded and got her stuff. She told herself that she would give back Alex’s phone.

They didn’t talk while Woohyun was driving them to his mother’s house. And he didn’t really like it so he turned towards her when he stopped on a red light. “Are you scared?” he asked.

“Kind of, I mean we cancelled the wedding on the day and probably caused havoc. The media is probably on it already” She told him thinking about all the ridicules made up scandals that the media would make. Woohyun nodded at what she said and thought the same thing.

“Anyways I’m glad that this happened” Shinhye said.

“What?” Woohyun was trying his best to keep his eyes on the road and not get distracted but he really thought she was upset with this whole cancelation. Shinhye shrugged “Maybe you don’t believe in destiny but I do.” She continued “There is a reason why all of this happens. Because we weren’t supposed to get married, maybe it wasn’t supposed to be today or maybe not even next year. Maybe we weren’t supposed to be together at all”

Woohyun didn’t say anything and just kept his eyes on the road. Shinhye took this as a chance “To tell you the truth I didn’t want to get married to you. I already had someone with me that time.” This time Woohyun looked at her and then back at the road.

“I was in love with him and my parents knew about him but they didn’t seem to care as they didn’t approve of him. So to make us break up they arranged this marriage thing between us. He told me to fight against my parents and run away with him but I didn’t. That’s what pissed him off even more...in the end we broke up”

“You should have left with him” Woohyun told her and parked his car outside his mother’s house. Shinhye sighed I know I should have but I was too scared she thought.

They both walked inside their house and made way towards the living room where their parents were at. Both Woohyun and Shinhye bowed and apologized “You think you can just apologize and think that things would be alright?” Mr. Park said while trying to hold in his anger.

“I’m sorry but I didn’t want to marry Woohyun anymore” Shinhye told her father.

“Don’t be stupid! You can’t say that only because some girl lost her father! Shinhye stop acting like a child” her mother said.

“I’m not acting like a child!” Shinhye really hated how her parents would always think that. “Shinhye is in love with someone else. And the same goes to me” Woohyun said out loud.

“The reason for the cancelation isn’t because of our friend but it’s because of mutual feelings. As our parents shouldn’t you all be supporting us?”

Miss. Nam sighed “Woohyun don’t act like we are the bad guys”

This caused Woohyun to scoff “But that’s the thing. You guys are the bad ones. You are forcing us to love each other and stay together forever. Does that even make sense?!”

“Nam Woohyun!”

“And the thing is you can’t really do anything about this. I’m your only son and I will be the one who will take over the company after you.” Miss. Nam didn’t say anything after that. Woohyun knew his mother to well to be able to know what to say.

Watching Woohyun stand up for himself inspired Shinhye to do the same. “You also have no choice but to let me be.” She told her parents. Her father got up from his seat and glared at her. Shinhye tried her best not to flinch when he gave her that look. She held her chin up and continued “I’m going to look for Geunsuk and you can’t stop me. If you do you will never see me again. And I mean it this time” she told them.

“Jang Geunsuk?! That boy! I told you that you and he cannot be!” Her father told her.

“You have no right to decide who I should be with dad! What kind of father sells her daughter out like that!?” she herself was getting angry. Realising how her parents have been controlling her annoyed her and she isn’t going to take it anymore. Now was the chance for her to do things for herself without asking for permission.

“You know we aren’t selling you out” her mother told her.

“Sorry but it feels like it. You only wanted me and Woohyun to get married so we could merge our company and expand. But have you ever thought that there’s no need for marriage? If you really love me then you would let it go and let me be happy.” Shinhye sighed and turned to leave. She knew her parents wouldn’t agree so there was no reason to stay and listen to them anymore. Woohyun soon followed and didn’t say anything when he was walking next to her.

“Should we go pack?” Shinhye asked. Woohyun nodded and tapped her head “This is the first time I saw you stand up for yourself like that” he told her. Shinhye shrugged “It was about time. Anyways what are you going to do about Alex? You do know she like Sunggyu now right?” Shinhye said.

Woohyun sighed “Even though the wedding is of things are still complicating”

 

Amber stretched and felt a weight on her shoulder. She looked down and saw Alex sleeping on her shoulder. Amber sighed and looked outside the window. She was able to see buildings under the clouds. “If only we went back with excitement” she told herself and looked down at Alex and then Sunggyu who was sitting next to Alex.

They were already in the air and would soon arrive at LAX.

Amber was hoping that Shinhye doesn’t get into too much trouble with her parents. Amber knows her parents well enough that they wouldn’t accept the whole cancelation of the wedding. Especially if the reason was because of Alex but then again Amber thinks that Shinhye might be using that as an excuse.

 

“Amber~!” Amber looked up to see her cousin waving at her. Amber smiled and walked towards her while holding her luggage. Shinhye ran towards her and hugged her causing Amber to drop her stuff “Ya! Shinhye you’re chocking me!” Amber said while trying to push her away.

“I’m sorry” Shinhye let her go “I just missed you! It’s been awhile since we seen each other.” She told her.

Amber shrugged “It’s not my fault you live here”

Shinhye glared at her and grabbed her stuff “Hurry up and lets go. You must be tired.”

They drove from the airport to Shinhye’s house. They’ve been catching up with things while they were at the car that time passed by pretty quickly. Shinhye put Amber’s luggage in the guest room and sat down on the bed which Amber following her as well.

“I still can’t believe you’re getting married” Amber told her while looking at the ceiling. Shinhye shrugged “What can I do?” and it’s true what can Shinhye actually do but to follow her parents orders. As the only child in her family marrying someone with such success could benefit her parents company.

“Do you even like the guy?” Amber asked.

Shinhye nodded “I do like him, he used to be a jerk but now he’s treating me as his fiancé” Shinhye told her. Amber looked at her cousin “More than Geunsuk?”

Shinhye stayed quiet and thought about it. “I would lie if I said yes. Anyways it doesn’t matter he is gone and I won’t—“

“He’s in L.A” Amber said cutting her off. Shinhye looked at her “What?”

“I saw him in L.A a few weeks ago. He’s living there now and is a professional photographer. He’s planning on having his own studio soon as well.”

Shinhye nodded and thought about the harsh break up they had. She had a chance on running away with him but didn’t. Shinhye smiled “At least he’s living well right?”

Amber sighed and nodded.

 

Ding~

Amber looked up and noticed that the seatbelt sign was on. She nudged Alex causing her to push Amber away. “Put your seatbelt on2 Amber told her.

“My seatbelt is always on” Alex told her while getting more comfortable on Amber’s shoulder. But knowing that they were about to land made Alex wide awake. She was thinking of what to do when she arrives. Would she be able to handle seeing her father’s body? Having to organize the funeral by herself.

 Alex looked up at Amber who was looking out the window. She turned to look at Sunggyu and smiled. Alex realized that she wasn’t doing this on her own.