Chapter 23

Fated To Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eliza's POV

Ring. Ring. Ring. Ring. A call woke me up in the middle of the night. I groaned, grabbing my phone off the nightstand table. Being a light sleeper the call managed to wake me up while Luke was deep asleep beside me. 

"Yura?" 

"Eliza. It's me Yura. I really need someone to talk to." I instantly got up once I heard her. That sentence is one that always gets to me. I left the bed and went into the living room. I sat down on the couch with my phone pressed to my ear. 

"Spill. My ears are opened." I told her. 

"I recieved my prognosis today." There was a pause and I heard her sniffling. I waited patiently for her to continue. Yura confided in me about her illness and how it progressed from the vehicle accident. I sensed that she recieved devestating news. "My doctor said that one day my heart would stop beating. I'm dying, Eliza." I sat there on the couch blinking, registering what she just said. My best friend was dying. I composed myself before responding. I had to approach this effectively.

"Yo- your days are numbered. You must be so distraught since... you have so must living left to do and so little time." My eyes welled up with tears. I never stutter and I tend to speak very articulately, yet my emotions affected my speech. I was going to lose another dear friend of mine. The thought of the future made my guts twist up.  

"I don't want to die. There's so much I want to do and... I just don't want to die..." She spoke softly then broke out in wails. I tried to make out her words because they were muffled from her crying too hard. I wish I was Seoul as of right now. If I was then I could just go to her house and have this conversation with her in person. In your most helpless vulnerable moments even the presence of someone that cares about you is profoundly comforting. Of course I never had that. All I had was myself. 

"It is unfair, but everything happens for a reason Yura. There's something called fate. Death is the raw truth if you think about. No matter what we're unsure or confused about death is definite. I believe the universe is giving you a sign." Nirvana came to mind. 

"How could dying be a sign? For what?" Her voice was thick with sobs. My heart ached at the sounds. 

"Dying puts things into perspective. Embrace death and do not fear it. Accept that you are dying and make your days count. That way you'll have no regrets. Regrets are usually why people fear death. Your doctor didn't give you a calculation on how many months or years you have left. That's obviously a sign! To live everyday as if it's your last!" 

"Thank you. Thank you." She expressed her gratitude for my advice. I did the best I could to offer her at least something. This was devestating and sudden. Crying and being angry about it won't help the situation in any way. You just have to accept it and make the days count. 

"I'm always a phone call away, Yura." I said before she hung up. I sat there in the dark with my knees pressed to my chest and a blank look on my face. The anguish squeezed my heart tightly. I needed a hug so I returned to bed, unintentionally waking Luke up. He stirred, facing me with messy bed hair. 

"What's wrong El? You can't sleep?" He asked with a deep groggy voice that was my favorite sound in the entire universe. 

"I need a hug." I whispered, snuggling into his chest. Without a word his arms circled my back, embracing me into him. In the silence and darkness of the room I allowed the sadness to linger as I cried into Luke's chest. He was used to this by now. He's my best friend, my first love, my everything. I trust him with my life and I'll forever be grateful to him. He stood by my side through my recovery and my relapses. Although we were in a long distance relationship at least I went to sleep everynight with the fact that he loved me back. That someone went to bed thinking of me. Yura... She had her heart ripped out from her chest and then thrown on the floor. That pain has scarred h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter