94/100 AnneOnym - Wearing Her Face

The Library Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wearing Her Face
written by AnneOnym
reviewed by SouthWest

 

Title: 8/10
Honestly, I didn't like the title when I first read it.  It was too... weird.  Wearing someone else's face?  What, like, sisters that look so much alike that people mistake the quiet, shy girl as her energetic, outgoing, larger than life sister?  Now that I've read the story, the title is very fitting.  But I wish it somehow conveyed Sumin's goals rather than just her method of obtaining that goal.  Either way, it's difficult to review a title when the story is incomplete.  Thus, I can't tell if the title is reflective of not only the story, but of the theme of the story as well.

 

Plot: 31/35

                5/5: Originality
                This definitely isn't the first fanfic from an anti-fan's point of view.  But the idea of fully getting into an anti-fan's head and making the character so realistic (versus a romanticized anti-fan) is uncommon enough that I'm going to give you full points here. 

                7/10: Believability
                You did a great job making this character believable in the first few chapters.  I love how you describe her thoughts and feelings.  I totally understand why her hatred for Taeyeon is so strong.  I particularly liked her reasoning that her and Taeyeon are on a comic seesaw (you describe it as antithetical ends), as Taeyeon's life gets better Sumin's gets worse.  And that reasoning is totally believable because you've shown (versus told) us with Taeyeon and her devoted fans while Sumin loses her job.  That was great.  But the jump from that to needing Taeyeon dead is a little big.  My first thought was that is she made Taeyeon's life miserable, Sumin could finally find happiness.  I understand that Sumin's not exactly logical at times, but as the reader, I still need to be able to follow her line of thought.  The last line of the chapter is, "The only way, it seemed, for Sumin to be happy, was if Taeyeon just... didn't exist."  But that's not the only way. The way you've explained it, if Taeyeon was unhappy, Sumin would be happy.  I would have liked to see just one more sentence here explaining that Sumin is thinking that with Taeyeon gone completely, Sumin's happiness would no longer depend on her.  Because after everything that's happened, that's enough of a reason for Sumin to want her dead.

My main problem with believability isn't in your writing.  My problem is that I can't totally believe Sumin.  At the end of the foreword, Taeyeon beats Sumin up but we're never told why.  You have to give a reason behind her actions to make it believable.  Because I don't get it, I'm questioning Sumin's narrative abilities.  Right off the bat, I know that I can't completely trust her; that seeing things from her point of view, isn't going to tell me the whole story.  So when we first meet Seunghyun, I question rather or not he's actually a creepy guy.  I see beyond Sumin's opinion of him.  If that's what you were aiming for, well done and mission accomplished.

That said, I did have a few issues with Seunghyun's character.  I think you pushed the creepy angle

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter