81/100 pretty-in-key - When Lust Takes Over

The Library Archives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Lust Takes Over
written by pretty-in-key
reviewed by SouthWest

*Note: This review is based only on the first seven chapters. 

Title: 10/10
I haven't decided if I like the title or not.  My first impression based on the title was that it was going to be pure , PWP style.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't the case.  But then the title leaves me wondering.  Is it in reference to past or future events?  The description makes me think past.  But to who in the past (you have two different couples right now) and have we already met the 'he' in the description?  As of this point in the story, I have no need to take off points.  But I'm curious to see how well the title fits the story and the theme in future chapters. 

 

Plot: 27/35

                3/5: Originality
                While the characters and their backgrounds appear rather original, the way these girls fall so quickly in love is not.  Yejin falling in love with her hot dance teacher was very predictable, though Jinah falling for her psychologists was an interesting twist.  But it happens too fast with very little explanation.  Explore their relationship and show us what makes the characters and the relationships unique.  In what ways are they alike, in what ways are they different?  The more you develop the characters, the more you'll be able to develop the relationships and make them more original. 

                8/10: Believability
                I was totally confused about Yejin agreeing to go to Kai's office and being all into it but then suddenly leaving.  That needed further clarification.  Did Jinah even consider switching therapists?  It felt a little awkward that she'd be comfortable talking with Dr. Wu after their first encounter. 

There needs to be more of a reason for Kris and Kai to risk a relationship with a student.  They both get involved really quickly which isn't entirely believable, but it works in this genre.  You just have to be sure to explain it.  What is it about Jinah that makes her so important to Kris?  Even if he's not the kind of guy that talks about his feelings, doesn't Jinah want reassurance?  Are there any little habits of hers that he finds adorable or y?  Does he admire her strength for dealing with what happened in the past and doing everything she can to move past it?  Jinah is trusting him awfully quickly after what she went through.  What is it about him that makes her think she can trust him?  Same with Kai and Yejin.  What is Yejin expecting out of Kai?  Just a phsyical relationship or does she think he might want more?  And is Kyungsoo going to play into the relationship?  I'm just waiting for him to show up again after Yejin ran into him. 

Overall, I need to know more about the reasons behind the characters actions to make them more believable. 

                8/10: Narration
                I'm really confused whose story this is.  Like I figured it was Jinah's because her past seems to be the underlying conflict on the whole story, but you spend just as much time in Yejin's POV.  Which isn't necessarily bad, but as of right now, I feel like I'm reading two separate stories at the same time.  I'm curious to see how the stories will intertwine and overlap in the future.

                8/10: Setting
                I cannot figure out if they're in the US or Korea.  There's a paragraph in the beginning of the first chapter that goes, "Jinah had been seeing a therapist back home in Los Angeles the past year, u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter