The Dream

Backstage Romance

 

Best Relationship: Talk like best friends, play like children, argue like husband and wife, protect each other like brother and sister.

 

12th September 2004

 

The Zhang mansion was surprisingly quiet on a Sunday afternoon. The maids had finished their housework for the day and most of them had retreated back to their room to rest. The absence of the usual giggling and screams from the field made the already empty household even more vacant.

 

All that could be heard was the footsteps of Bao-ma as she made her way up to her young mistress’s room. Opening the door slowly, she slipped into the room quietly and placed the tray of the children’s food and drinks on the coffee table at the corner. A smile crept up her face when she looked up to see that neither of the kids realize her presence because they were too engrossed in their work. The way Young Master Luhan was biting his pencil and the way her Young Mistress was staring at her books, it was a precious sight.

 

She couldn’t be more thankful to the Luhan for making her Young Mistress talk. Even though she still refused to speak to strangers, at least, she was speaking to more people now; Luhan, Chen-bo and her. And as the years went by, the kids were definitely growing closer and she was supportive of their friendship like a proud mother; hoping that one day they might be the one for each other as they had reached the age to experience the power of love.

 

“I solved it!” Bixue jumped up from her seat excitedly, unaware that Bao-ma had entered and left her room. Beaming proudly at Luhan who was still staring at the Maths question, she announced proudly. “The answer is 98!”

 

“Wait. Let me check the answer.” Luhan didn’t want to admit defeat because they made a bet. The person who didn’t manage to solve the question would not be able to draw or play soccer today but looks like he was the one. Although they are both 14 years old now, they still love to make such childish bet. With a sullen face, he replied sadly. “You’re right.”

 

“Let me teach you.” Bixue smiled genuinely and went on explaining the question to the boy sitting opposite her.

 

“Man, how come I never think of it!” Luhan hit his head in annoyance, “It was so easy!”

 

“Hahah, because I’m better than you in Maths.” Sticking her tongue out at Luhan, Bixue chuckled happily, glad that she won the bet.

 

“Well, that’s true. But I’m better than you in Science.”

 

“Says the person who scored half a mark lower than me in prelims.”

 

Luhan laughed out loud as he stood up and stretched himself. In his entire life, he had never enjoyed studying so much. It had been the case ever since he knew Bixue and it was made better when she started talking to him. The girl before him was surprisingly cheerful and witty for someone who doesn’t talk. If she hadn’t pulled his sweater, begging him not to leave her behind 4 years ago, he wouldn’t get to know this side of her. And he often wondered would she still be alive if she hadn’t talk to him.

 

“Let’s continue. Entrance exams are tomorrow and we shouldn’t be slacking.” Bixue told Luhan seriously as she picked up her pencil, ready for another round of studying.

 

“Go and draw, I will study alone.”

 

Shaking her head, Bixue didn’t want to draw when Luhan couldn’t get to play his soccer. She likes it when both of them are doing the things they like together.

 

“Another bet?” She asked Luhan instead. “On Science.”

 

Luhan nodded his head and took a seat, ready for the competition. “Loser treats the winner ice-cream for a week.”

 

“Deal!”

 

-

 

“Good luck Bixue!”

 

“All the best!”

 

“Bixue! Do your best!”

 

Nodding her head at all her classmates who were wishing her goodluck, she returned their wishes through her eyes, hoping that they would do well themselves too. Before she walked to her seat, she quickly went to that familiar figure at the back of the classroom.

 

Bixue tugged his hand and Luhan turned around to have her tiptoe and whisper into his ears. He had to bend down a little for he is a head taller than her now. “Good luck Luhan. Don’t panic and remember to check your work okay?”

 

“Aye Bixue!”

 

“How could you talk to Luhan only!”

 

“Yeah man, it’s not fair! We wished you goodluck too!” A group of her classmates playfully when they saw Bixue talking to Luhan again. Although it was a common sight for them now, they still like to tease the innocent girl about it.

 

Just then, another boy pretended to be upset. “It’s too much Bixue. It’s the last day of school before graduation yet we still don’t get to hear your voice.”

 

“What what what.” Luhan instinctively stood in front of Bixue as he pushed the boys away playfully, a smile that turned his eyes into his crescent could be seen. He likes how the other people didn’t get to hear Bixue’s sweet voice, he was the only one that was entitled to that. He wasn’t willing to share his priviledge yet.

 

“You all will never get to hear her voice so don’t even dream about it.”

 

Turning to Bixue, he asked the girl. “I’m the only one who has that priviledge right Bixue?”

 

And the girl nodded with a similar grin.

 

Luhan looked into Bixue’s eyes, those eyes of hers that always shine so brightly that he can see himself. Lifting his hand to ruffle hand, he told her gently. “You too Xue.”

 

“After this we can play soccer and draw all we want.”

 

However, when their paper ended, the sun was too bright and hot for soccer. It was not like Luhan minded but he didn’t want Bixue to melt under the sun while watching him play. Other than that, recently he had found something more interesting than soccer anyway.

 

Humming to the song that was playing on the VCR, Luhan tapped his feet to the beat as his eyes was glued to the television screen watching the singer dance. Bixue who was sitting at the other end of the bed lifted her eyes to see Luhan watching the same video again and went back to staring on the sheet of paper on her lap. He had probably watched that same tape for at least a hundred times and even a music idiot like her could memorise the song at the back of her mind already.

 

The occupation list that their school wanted them to fill was troubling her and she couldn’t stop frowning. Apparantly, it would help them in choosing a high school that they would like to specialise in but Bixue had no idea what she wanted to be when she grows up.

 

“Luhan, what are you writing for your occupation list?” She asked the boy who was too engrossed in his videos to hear her. Receiving no reply, she went back to staring at her empty paper with her pen tightly in her hand.

 

“What are you doing?” Luhan crawled beside her upon ending his video, and Bixue showed him the paper that they were supposed to fill. Grabbing his paper from her bedstand, she passed it to him.

 

“What do you want to be when you grow up?” Bixue asked Luhan earnestly.

 

“Me?” Laying on his back, Luhan thought hard about what he wanted to do. He wasn’t sure what he wanted but there was one thing he was quite certain. Something important he had learnt all thanks to Bixue. “I want to do something I enjoy.”

 

“Then nothing would be difficult for me anymore.” Because of her, he enjoyed studying and if it wasn’t for her, he wouldn’t be able to do the national exams in a breeze and living without worries now.

 

Luhan turned over to look at the girl who had her eyebrows creased, “Xue, you should do something that you really like too.”

 

“It’s important to be happy when you do it.”

 

“Something that I like and make me happy?” Bixue repeated his words as the 2 of them thought hard about their future together.

 

Almost at the same time, they had a smile on their faces as they turned to look at one another. They both knew that what they had in mind would definitely make their 8 year old self proud.

 

“Being an artist suits you.” Luhan nodded at Bixue’s choice, “You can draw very well.”

 

“Singer?” On the other hand, Bixue was surprised when she saw Luhan’s choice. She thought he had always wanted to be a soccer player. “What happened to your dream of being a soccer player?”

 

“Well…” Luhan smiled sheepishly at her, “I changed my mind.”

 

Springing up, he stood at the bedside, rolling the paper in his hand into a microphone. “I want to sing on stage and dance for the people who likes me.”

 

“How is it? Do you think I can make it big?”

 

Bixue nodded her head right away. Although she knew better that Mr Lu would never agree to Luhan’s dream, she didn’t want to stop him for dreaming. She didn’t want to put him down or critcize him, she wants him to keep on believing in himself. All she could do was hope that he would work hard for what he wants because this dream of his wouldn’t come to him without a fight. He definitely has to be strong and courageous but she knew Luhan can do anything he puts his mind to.

 

“I’m sure you will definitely be a worldstar.”

 

“And I will forever be your number 1 fan.”


I feel sad that this fic is not gaining as much readers as my other fics. I really love this fic a lot, even more than perfectly flawed truthfully.

Nvm, I'm sure there would be more readers to come. So keep reading yeah?

Enjoy!