The Mid Autumn

Backstage Romance

 

When silence between two people is comfortable, you know you have found love.

 

26th September 2009

 

 

The feeling of being able to step into the SM building still feel surreal to Luhan even after walking through the doors without fail everyday for the past 11 months. Probably it was because he was finally a trainee here. After struggling for 3 months under the name of Yonsei University Exchange Student, he was finally awarded with a trainee contract that was subjected to his performance and company’s rules. And he had officially became a full-time student in Yonsei University.

 

Although it didn’t state when would he be able to debut, he still signed it without hesitation. He didn’t dare to breathe a word about him being contract-less during the 3 months, he didn’t want Bixue and Laogao to worry. But now that he is officially a trainee, he was a step nearer to his dreams.

 

It was tiring to juggle between a 6hour Korean class followed by dance class and singing class that was packed one after another. Everyday of Luhan’s life was packed to the brim but he had never felt so fulfilling before. Although there were times where he misses home, the rare few Chinese trainees did make him feel a little closer back home and he had learnt to be contented with what he have now.

 

Pushing open the doors of the toilet, the scene of 3 boys kicking and punching another boy that was crouching on the floor entered Luhan’s eyes. He froze immediately, and when the group of them saw him, they stopped what they were doing.

 

“Hello Sunbaes.” Luhan bowed to the 3 other trainees who came in earlier than him. Bullying was common in here and every other days, there would be older trainees verbally or physically abusing a younger trainee. Somehow, he was able to get away every single time.

 

“Oh, Luhan. See you.” One of the boys patted his shoulders and walked out of the toilet, leaving the injured boy behind.

 

When the toilet door fully closed, Luhan rushed to him and helped him up right away. “Sunbae, are you okay?”

 

“I’m.. okay.” The injured boy held his stomach as he stood up with much difficulty. “You’re really lucky Luhan.”

 

“Please don’t say that Sunbae.” Luhan frowned at the other boy, knowing what he meant.

 

“It’s true.. “ He laughed dryly, “I’m here for 3 years already and they are still bullying me. You are just a new trainee yet they like you more than me…”

 

“What ill luck do I have?”

 

“Sunbae! Why not you call in sick?” The boy was struggling to even get to his feet and Luhan was not sure how was he going to attend training in this state.

 

Shaking his head, the other boy pushed away his helping hand and staggered out of the toilet slowly. Luhan himself knew that he was lucky, because all that the boy said was true. Even though he is from China, he didn;t get bullied like the other Chinese trainees and he didn’t know why.

 

“Hyung!” A boy burst through the toilet doors with a flustered look. “Are you okay?”

 

Luhan nodded his head and gave the younger one a reassurring smile. “I’m okay.”

 

“Scare me. I saw Taegoon Hyung they all walked out….” Sehun heaved a sigh of relief and slipped his arms around his shoulders right away. It was difficult to find someone so bubbly and kind in this competitive environment. So when Sehun met Luhan, they hit off right away despite the language barrier. Unlike the others who are always so particular about honorifics, Luhan didn’t even care if he didn’t call him hyung. But that made Sehun more eager to call him hyung than any other older boys in the building.

 

“Bubble tea?” Sehun asked and Luhan nodded his head, heading to their usual bubble tea shop. “It’s Chuseok break the day after! Aren’t you excited Hyung? We can finally get to go home!”

 

Looking at Sehun’s excited smile, he couldn’t help but to smile together even though his heart was aching terribly with the mention of the H word. Sehun was just so innocent that Luhan felt the need to protect him like an elder brother would. The last thing he wanted was his brother to lose that innocent and carefree smile.

 

“When are you going home hyung?” Sehun asked excitedly.

 

“I’m not going home.” Luhan tried not to show any emotions in his voice as he remembered overhearing the chinese trainees talking about returning to their hometown for 4 days. Everyone was so excited because it was one out of the two times they were allowed home. But he no longer had a home to return to so there was nothing to worth looking forward to.

 

Sehun looked at the older boy and saw the layer of pain that masked his eyes. Although he tried to hide it with that pretentious smile, he knew that he wasn’t happy at all; his eyes didn’t twinkle like it always would.

 

“Because your parents disapprove of your superstar dream and threw you out of the house?” Sehun asked.

 

“H.. how did you know?” Luhan was surprised that Sehun guessed it. He hadn’t mention to anyone except Bixue and Laogao.

 

“Ayye, it’s a common story hyung. It happens to almost everyone in that building.” Sehun shrugged his shoulders as he pointed to their office opposite them. “Don’t be too bothered by it. I’m sure once you achieve your dreams, they would definitely forgive you.”

 

Luhan thought hard about Sehun’s words, wondering if his parents would really forgive him. He knew his mother would welcome him home with open arms but as for his father, he wasn’t sure at all. Nonetheless, he didn’t want to let his problems affect Sehun so he nodded his head, agreeing to what the younger had said.

 

“Oh hyung! Why not you come home with me then??” Sehun said excitedly but Luhan shook his head, declining his offer immediately. The last thing he wanted was to disturb the time he spent with his family.

 

“No, I don’t care. You are coming. I’m going to call my mother and make her invite you so you can’t say no!”

 

The two boys then started fighting on the streets, one trying to grab the phone and the other trying to call. With his long fingers, Sehun managed to call through and put his mother on the phone with Luhan, leaving him no choice but to agree to the invite with his broken Korean.

 

When Luhan arrived at Sehun’s house on Chuseok, the Oh family welcomed him warmingly. They spoke to him slowly and he struggled to answer their questions. Although it was difficult, the time spent with them was fun. It was his first Chuseok in Korea and they taught him the various traditions that Korean family observed. After dinner, everyone sat around the living room to catch up on their lives. Luhan could tell that the Sehun was very well doted by his brother  and parents as they kept questioning them about his training, nagging at him to take care of himself every now and then.

 

Being so far away from home, the whole scene before him was heartwarming for Luhan. It was something he found himself envying Sehun for; a family that supported his dream. As the conversation went on, Luhan felt the need to excuse himself even just for a short while. The Oh family had done so much for him and the least he could do was to give them some family time. With that, he excused himself to go to the nearest convenience store which he spent much effort convincing Sehun not to go with him.

 

As he walked down the streets of Seoul, Luhan’s couldn’t feel more alone. Although there were people around him, he was all alone. It would be so nice if Bixue was here with him because every Mid Autumn Festival, Bixue and him would light up the paper lanterns they had made and hang them around his backyard. They would then solve the riddles they had set for each other and the winner will get a present. He remembers clearly that Bixue always win and every year without fail, she would ask him to teach her how to play soccer as the reward.

 

The fact that Luhan had to reminisce all these made him miss home even more. Stepping into the convenience store, he bought an overseas phone card and he went to the nearest phone booth, his fingers punching in the familiar numbers as he waited for the receiver to pick up.

 

“Hello?”

 

“It’s me.” Luhan smiled at the sound of her voice.

 

“What are you doing?” Bixue asked lightly as she stared at the full moon hanging in the sky, wondering if Luhan was staring at the same thing as her.

 

“Me?” Luhan leaned against the phone booth and sighed inwardly. “I’m at my friend’s house.”

 

“Sounds fun.” Bixue replied however from the background noises, Bixue knew better that he was lying. He was definitely somewhere outdoor but since he didn’t want to say the truth, she wasn’t going to force him to. Just like how he chose not to mention about today being the Mid Autumn Festival.

 

“You? What are you doing?” It was Luhan’s turn to ask, pretending that it was just like the phonecall they used to make to each other when they were back in Beijing.

 

“I’m drawing.”

 

“Mmm.”

 

Silence engulfed the two teenagers as they held on to the phones in their hands and listened to each other’s breathing in two different parts of the world. They didn’t mind the silence, in fact, they enjoyed it. Luhan felt a little closer to home and Bixue felt as though Luhan was back on their first Mid Autumn Festival being apart from one another. Till his phone card was low on cash and beeped then they hung up the phone.

 

“Hyung! You’re back!” Sehun chirped when Luhan came back. He raised his eyebrows interestingly as he asked, “Why do you look so happy?”

 

“Am I?” Luhan asked him weirdly.

 

“Yeah! You’re smiling so widely now. Don’t tell me… you saw a pretty girl at the convenience store?!”

 

“A pretty girl?” Luhan thought hard about the three words before breaking into a wider grin.

 

“Yeah a really pretty girl, and guess what? I talked to her too.”


I don't usually update at this timing but I won't be home till late so here you go!

Enjoy!!