The First Return

Backstage Romance

 

Sadly, wounds are best healed by those who are the reason behind them

 

21st March 2011

 

The doors opened before Luhan and he stepped out of the immigration with a weird feeling floating around his chest. He didn’t know if it was the fact that he no longer had a home to return to in Beijing or that he still could not get over the fact that Bixue was getting married. Either way, he didn’t feel good. The short one week break that the company gave came right when he needed it. He needed to give his heart a break or he would not be able to concentrate for his debut preparation.

 

More so, he needed to ask Bixue personally or he would not have taken the first flight back to Beijing right after the company announced that they had the break.

 

“Luhan!”

 

He turned around at his name sharply to see his best friend standing at the arrival hall waiting for him with a big smile on his face. After a year of not seeing Laogao, Luhan waved excitedly and returned an equally big smile till he realize that Laogao came alone; his smile disappeared.

 

It wasn’t supposed to be this way. It wasn’t how he had imagined. Before his flight back, he dropped a text to Lao-gao and Bixue that he was coming back and during the flight, he had imagined them waiting for him at the arrival hall just like how they had sent him off a year ago. Bixue would be standing there, smiling at him and welcoming him back home. But, she wasn’t. And she wasn’t suppose to not reply his messages.

 

“The bunch of them suggested English names for you to use when you debut and guess what they said?”

 

“Yongjun suggested Jay.”

 

“Wenxin and Yalun voted for Ben.”

 

“They argued for so long and they decided that you should just combine both of their ideas.” Laogao laughed as he recalled the memories of the bunch of dorky friends he met up with the other day. “Benjay.”

 

“What a stupid suggestion right.”

 

Luhan’s phone remained still as Laogao laughed. But he couldn’t even bring himself to laugh. He could only stare at the messages that he had been sending since last week. The one which Bixue replied to none.

 

[To: Bixue]

 

Xue, where are you?

 

Not even to this.

 

“Laogao, send me to Bixue’s house instead.” Luhan told him urgently. He had this sudden need to meet his best friend. He could not wait any longer.

 

“Ayeee, so eager to meet the bride to be? Aren’t you scared that her future husband would be jealous?” Laogao teased.

 

“Bixue won’t be getting married!!!”

 

The sudden outburst by Luhan was accompanied by silence after. None of them know what to say to each other. Laogao was shocked by the even-tempered boy who just raised his voice at him, and Luhan was trying to calm himself down. Rubbing his forehead, Luhan broke the silence after realising his behaviour. “Xue didn’t tell me anything so it means its not true.”

 

Laogao didn’t know what to say so he just drove on. He is quiet but he was not blind. He knew something went wrong between the pair of best friends the moment he reached the airport and only find himself waiting for Luhan and Bixue’s phone was switched off.

 

“You took the wrong lane Laogao. Xue’s house is the other one.” Luhan directed but it just caused Laogao to stop his car abruptly at the kerbside.

 

“Are you kidding me Luhan?” Laogao turned and questioned him with an unbelievable expression. “You really don’t know anything do you?”

 

Looking up at Laogao, Luhan could feel fear spreading in him. He could not even open his mouth to ask what he meant by that. That moment, he just felt really scared.

 

“Bixue shifted out from the Zhang.” Laogao told him softly and pointed to the road ahead of him. “And she is staying on her own now.”

 

“What?!” Luhan exclaimed in shock. Bixue was no longer staying with her family and he did not know anything about it. What had exactly happened in the one year that he was away? “When?!”

 

“Long ago.”

 

“Why didn’t you tell me??”

 

“I thought you knew!” Laogao was equally shocked about the news. “Bixue told me that she will tell you when the time is right and I thought she did so there’s no point for me to mention it again!”

 

“Seriously Luhan, what is wrong with the 2 of you? You two used to talk all the time but how come you don’t know anything about her?”

 

“I wonder… what is wrong too...” Luhan slumped into the car seat defeatedly as Laogao continued driving down the streets of Beijing to Bixue’s house. He really wanted to know what was wrong too. He had so many questions whirling in his head. Where is Bixue? What happened to Bixue? Why did Bixue not tell him anything? Why is Bixue not replying his messages? As he looked out of the window, he wondered when did the streets of Beijing feel so foreign? It was the same street that he always walked with Bixue. Everything had become blurry but the heartbreaking feelings hurting his chest are real.

 

“Call me when you want to leave.” Laogao led the boy to the door of Bixue’s apartment. Before he left, he patted his shoulder in encouragement. “Talk it out with her.”

 

Lifting his hand, Luhan pressed the doorbell with his trembling fingers. That moment he pressed, he hoped that everything was a mistake and the person who would be opening the door wouldn’t be Bixue then maybe, they didn’t drift away as much as he thought they had. Or at least, he can still run to her when he is sad because she is the first person he wants to run to when he is sad. But now she’s the reason that he is sad and he can no longer run to her anymore.

 

However, right when the door opened, a 21 year-old girl stood before him. It seems like it has been forever since he last saw her. She looks better than a year ago, her signature straight black hair was longer now but she is still as fair as before. Those eyes of hers are still sparkling at him just like how they did when they first met.

 

Right before Bixue stood the man she thought about day and night. His hair became longer and he definitely grew fitter than before. Even his features grew to be more distinct after a year. He definitely became more good

looking, like a Korean now. She just couldn’t stop staring at him just like how he couldn’t stop staring at her.

 

“Luhan..” Bixue took a step forward and wrapped her arms around his torso. “You’re back.”

 

Nodding his head, Luhan wrapped her tightly in her arms. Her voice just feels like home and he misses it. He misses all of her so much that he could feel his nose turning sour even when the hug had already caused his sadness to leave his body.

 

“Missed you.” He pulled her tighter into his embrace, inhaling the familiar scent that signify home. “Missed you so much.”

 

“I missed you too.” Bixue admitted with her teary eyes. They stayed in the hug for a short while before pulling away with a smile on their faces.

 

“Come in. You must be tired after the long flight.” Bixue led Luhan into her house and when he set foot in the place then reality hit him again. In the small apartment, Luhan could see traces of Bixue everywhere. Her favourite color walls, her favourite type of furniture and those paintings hanging on the walls, it just proved Laogao’s words.

 

“You can stay here for the time being. I have a guest room.” Bixue chirped happily. She hadn’t feel so happy for a long while and the sight of Luhan make her couldn’t stop talking. “I will go and prepare your favourite tea.”

 

Following her into the kitchen, Luhan watched the girl pulled out the cups and boiled water, making his favourite tea skilfully. Everything just feels so surreal to him. She is Bixue but the Bixue he knows doesn’t step into the kitchen, or rather she doesn’t have to. What had happened within the one year that he was away?

 

“Are you really getting married?” Luhan could not wait any longer, he needed to know the answer. The moment the question left his lips, he felt as though a stone had been lifted off his chest but as the silence between them dragged on, it began weighing down again. Unknowingly, he clenched his fist and held his breath as he watched Bixue looked up at him. Her lips forming into the character that he was afraid to see and hear.

 

“Yes.”


This chapter is based on the fact that Luhan only went home once during the trainee days. The timing couldn't get any better. Hahah.

On a side note, just wanna say a BIG thank you to everyone of you! Thank you for voting for Mnemophobia and once again letting my stories earn a yellow star. Truthfully, Mnem had received quite a lot of bad feedbacks compared to my other fics. The amount of subscribers was also the least among all the other. I'm really thankful to you guys for this continuous support. I really really can't believe I have 4 yellow stars now. First was MDIAS, followed by FI, then SL and now Mnem! This is by far one of the best Christmas gift! I will definitely work hard and my proofreader also said she will work even harder for you guys out there so do keep your comments coming!

Enjoy!