The Drift

Backstage Romance

 

People fall in love without reason, without even wanting to.

You can’t predict it.

 

That’s love.

 

7th June 2007

 

 “Lao Gao! Lend me one buck!”

 

“Pay for me first!”

 

“Oh my god. I’m hungry!”

 

A group of boys’ voices could be heard in the convenience store as they grabbed snacks from the racks. Everyone was very excited for this short break, talking to one another except for one who was quietly walking down the racks of titbits, with his hands in his pocket.

 

Squatting down, Luhan picked up a pink box of cookie and a soft smile spread across his face right away. He took it in his hand before retreating back to where his friends were.

 

“Luhan! Are you done? The convenience is pack because of you.” One of his friends grumbled. The girls in the convenience store had their eyes on their pretty boy and they couldn’t help but to be jealous sometimes.

 

“I’m done.” Luhan nodded his head, ignoring the stares that he was receiving.

 

“And who is that for?” The pink box of cookie was a little out of place in his hands and it caught the boys’ attention right away.

 

“Who else do you think it’s for?” Another boy wriggled his brows to the rest of them and they sniggered.

 

“It’s okay my Lu-ge.” Cobby put his arms around him, patting his chest. “Don’t have to explain. Your face tells it all.”

 

“Tells what?” Luhan didn’t understood a single thing he was talking about.

 

Lifting Luhan’s fringe up, Cobby pointed to his forehead as though there were words written on it. “I like Wei Qian Ya.”

 

The boys broke into a sea of laughter right after and Luhan could only hit them shyly as they stepped out of the convenience store.

 

“Ehem Ehem!!” One of the boys walking at the front clear his throat loudly and the bunch of 16year old boys started the nudging one another. Luhan looked up and to see the girl walking in their direction with her friend.

 

Qian Ya was laughing with her friend and he had no idea how could she just walk and laugh but look so beautiful at the same time. Standing at where he was, he just looked on. He wasn’t sure when did he start falling for her or how did it started. Was it the first day he looked into her eyes and he felt his entire world flip? Or was it her smile that he keeps falling more in love day after day? The mentioned of her name was sufficient to arise so many butterflies in his stomach All he knew for sure was that everyday, he was falling hard and he could only pray that she was feeling the same way.

 

“I need to go to the toilet!” Cobby announced and ran away.

 

“Me too!”

 

“I.. oh my god.. stomach ache.. me too!”

 

The boys took Cobby’s signal and ran away one after another, leaving Luhan where he was. He took in a deep breath and slowly walked towards the girl of his dream.

 

“Qian Ya.” He called her softly and the girl looked up at him. Her friend excused herself, leaving the two of them alone for the moment and it made Luhan’s heart beat even faster. He likes to be near her but everytime, his heart would beat so fast that he felt that Qian Ya could possibly hear it too.

 

“Hi Luhan.” Qian Ya nodded at the boy and smiled.

 

“Erm.. this is for you.” Luhan passed the snack he bought for her earlier. He knew it was her favourite because he observed how she would carry this back to class and hide it underneath the table after the break everyday. “Thank you for coming to my soccer match yesterday.”

 

“You’re welcome. Congrats on winning too.” Although they were classmates, they didn’t get to talk to each other very often. But the boy before him was quite famous. She overheard a few seniors talking about him in the washroom and she thought he would be stuck up for his good looks.

 

However, he was the opposite of what she thought he was when he approached her to talk to when the school started. He was surprisingly very friendly and cheerful. So when he asked her to watch his soccer match, she agreed right away; dragging a few other friends with her to support her classmate.

 

“Hahah. We practiced very hard for this game.” Luhan rubbed his neck shyly and bit his lower lips before opening his mouth again. “Are.. you free after school?”

 

“Like do you want to study together?”

 

Looking into Qian Ya’s eyes, Luhan held his breath as he waited for her reply. When the girl blinked her eyes at him without giving a reply, he started panicking.

 

“I mean.. it’s okay if you are not free today.”

 

“I.. I was just asking!”

 

Laughing at his silliness, Qian Ya nodded her head with the most beautiful smile that Luhan had ever seen.

 

“I’m free today Luhan.”

 

-

 

The bells in another school rung, signalling the end of the day. The students stepped out of the school gates in groups, except for 1 girl. With her backpack and canvas bag, she stepped out of the school gate alone.

 

Right away, Bixue started to look around for his familiar figure but the spot where he always stood was empty. Glancing at her watch, she thought to herself that maybe Luhan’s class had ended a little later than usual so he was late. She didn’t want to miss him so she slowly walked over the spot where he had always waited for her.

 

Leaning against the wall, she waited for her best friend to go home together. She could almost see Luhan running down the bus hurriedly and apologizing to her profusely for making her wait because he knew how much she hated waiting. But she could also imagine how his long hair would be all over the place as he struggled to keep them back in place. With a gentle smile, she contemplated if she should pretend to be angry at him or forgive him right away. And in the end, she chose the latter.

 

Luhan will always be the one person in her life who is an exception to all her rules no matter what he do. She can never be mad at him. Because when her chauffer turned up at school, looking all flustered and worried that she had been missing for over 2hours, she began to grow worried about the boy.

 

Upon reaching home, she rushed to her house phone without even taking out her shoes. She called the Lu’s mansion worriedly, asking for Luhan’s whereabouts.

 

“Young Mistress, Young Master is still in school.” Chen-bo replied her politely and she heaved a sigh of relief. On her ride home, she had frightening thoughts of Luhan being kidnapped or worst still, involved in an accident. Now that she knew he was safe, a smile spreaded across her face as she hung up the phone.

 

“You are really worried about Young Master Lu.” Bao-ma teased the girl. “Even Bao-ma’s hardwork can’t be compared him.”

 

Bixue stuck out her tongue guiltily when she saw the brown patches on the white marble tiles that Bao-ma probably had polished all morning. She took off her shoes and lifted her feet on the sofa. A servant came over and pass her her bedroom slippers and took her school shoes away. Slipping onto them, Bixue slowly sauntered back to her room.

 

“Oh right. Bao-ma!” The girl ran towards her and whispered in her ears. “Prepare dinner for Luhan later okay?”

 

“Oh why? He is coming?” Bao-ma asked the girl. Although it was nothing surprising for Luhan to come over for dinner, she just wanted to make fun of her Young Mistress. To her, it was clear that Luhan and Bixue, on some level belong together. As lovers, or as friends, or as family, or as something entirely different. Bixue met Luhan during her childhood, out of nowhere, under the strangest circumstances and he cured her, making her smile and feel alive. She didn’t know if that made her believe in coincidence, or fate, or sheer blind luck, but it definitely made her believe in something between them.

 

Nodding her head, Bixue didn’t explain much but turned towards her bedroom in light steps. She wanted to get her work done before he comes later. Luhan and her had never gone a day without seeing one another and she was confident that he would definitely drop by after his school later.

 

However, when the clock strikes 10, Bixue was still sitting in front of the dining table with the food that Bao-ma had specially cooked for the children.

 

“Young Mistress, I think you should eat your dinner now. It’s getting late.” Bao-ma told her worriedly, “You will get gastric if you don’t eat.”

 

“I will wait for another 15 minutes. Luhan should be here soon.” Bixue replied confidently, her chin rested on her hand as she continued to wait. Luhan should be hungry too right?

 

“Young Mistress, Young Master Lu is on the line.” One of the servant told her and she ran out of her seat towards the phone right away.

 

“Luhan?” She picked up the receiver urgently. She had spent the whole day thinking about him, wanting and needing to tell him everything about her day.  She didn’t know why she feel so uneasy without seeing him or talking to him but there was just something about Luhan that would make her feel better.

 

“Xue?”

 

“Luhan!” Bixue smiled, feeling happy to hear his voice. She didn’t know what to say to him but she wanted him to keep talking. She wants to know about his day and how he was feeling.

 

“I’m sorry I couldn’t pick you up from school today..” Luhan explained, “I just reached home.”

 

“Ahh.. It’s okay.” Bixue comforted him, it didn’t matter if he couldn’t pick her up. She knew he must be busy with school. But before she could continue, Luhan interrupted her.

 

“I’ve got something to tell you by the way!”

 

“Oh? What is it?” Straightening herself on the chair, she pressed the receiver into her ear intently. The excitement in Luhan’s voice aroused her curiosity right away.

 

“I asked Qian Ya to study together earlier and guess what? She agreed!!”

 

“We were studying the whole afternoon then we still went for movies and dinner!”

 

“Oh…” The initial excitement was extinguished and Bixue could only utter that word as a reply before Luhan went on about how pretty Qian Ya was and how their day was. Luhan didn’t had to tell her directly to his absence this afternoon, she could piece them up herself. Holding onto the receiver, Bixue lowered her gaze and bit her lower lips instinctively.

 

For the first time, Luhan didn’t want to know about her day, he didn’t feel the need to know about it. Because he didn’t ask about her. All he talked about for the next half an hour was Qian Ya, Qian Ya and Qian Ya. How he was worried that Qian Ya would find the date boring or how she didn’t had a good day. Bixue found herself comforting him with the words that she wanted to hear; from him. And for the first time, she had the urge to hang up the phone.

 

“Okay I got to go Xue.” Luhan yawned on the other end without realizing the girl’s quietness, “See you tomorrow.”

 

“See you.”

 

Placing the receiver back, Bixue forced out a smile. Luhan told her that he would see her tomorrow and for that small moment, she felt comforted.

 

Because Luhan would still be waiting for her outside her school.


I'm having writer's bloc for every story and it's not even funny. 

I used to be able to finish a chapter within an hour or two but now, one chapter is taking me a day? Uurghhh.