The Scout

Backstage Romance

A best friend isn’t someone who’s just always there for you. It’s someone who understands you a bit more than you understand yourself.

 

10th July 2008

 

 

Bixue lazed on her sofa tiredly. Once in a while she would get up to look at the telephone that had not rung since a week ago. Looking at the clock, it was almost 10pm, which meant that it was turning 11pm in Seoul. Luhan must have turned in for the day, she thought to herself.

 

Getting up from the sofa, she dragged herself towards the staircase that led to her bedroom. She haven’t slept well since the last time they spoke because she missed her best friend so much. Before Luhan went to Korea, they would still text everyday even though they don’t get to talk to one another on the phone. However, for the past 3 months, she wakes up every morning hoping to see a text message from him. International calls and messages were too expensive for the boy who was studying overseas so she didn’t blame him at all.

 

At least Luhan and her share the same sky. That was how she convinced herself to sleep at night. And maybe, Luhan will call her tomorrow.

 

As she turned around the corner to her room, Bixue caught sight of a figure that she hadn’t seen for at least a month long; her father. She stopped in her tracks, unsure whether to go forward to greet him or not. Ever since she found out that her father and her step-mother nearly tricked her to going to the mute school a few years ago, she could no longer see them as parents like she used to anymore.

 

Since young, she heard rumours of how her step-mother used to be a nurse of her sickly mother after she gave birth to her. When she took care of her mother, she fell in love with her father and had his child. Her kind-hearted mother knew her days were numbered so she agreed to their marriage and even trusted Bixue into her care. She was too young to know about anything back then and she never knew what exactly happened to her step-brother. She had never seen other kids in the house and everytime she asked, Bao-ma would hush her. It was a forbidden topic in the Zhang’s household.

 

Staring at her father who was staggering into his bedroom, she shook her head and sighed. Her step-mother had ran away with a large sum of money a month ago and her father had been out drinking ever since. Lookin at his state, it made Bixue really wondered what is love. Was it what her parents shared? Or was it the affair that blossomed with her step-mother?

 

Or maybe, it was with the helper that was helping him into his room now.

 

“Young Mistress.” Bao-ma called the girl who was staring at how her father was sliding his hand down the helper’s waist when she helped him into the room. The way the helper had her head leaned on his shoulder with a shy smile caused the onlookers’ imagination to run wild as they closed the door behind them. “Please go back to your room.”

 

“I am. Goodnight Bao-ma.” Bixue smiled her nanny and continued walking to her room like nothing had happened. Bao-ma stared at her backview that seemed exceptionally lonely. She felt sad that the girl shared the same fate as her father when it comes to love; loving a person who doesn’t love them back.

 

For the past month, she saw how the girl waited by the phone for a phonecall that had no guarentee that it would come. Everyday, she would just wait by the phone but she had never cry once when she gets disappointed. Her young mistress wouldn’t cry, she knows it will get her nowhere. She still laughs a lot and often, and she lives her own life. She wants Luhan to be part of it but she will also do just fine without him. And it makes her heart ache to see a young girl being so mature yet lonely at the same time.

 

 “Young Mistress, there is a phonecall for you.” Another helper appeared at the hallway and told them.

 

“Phonecall?” Bixue spun around right away, a smile lighting up her entire face as she ran down the staircase excitedly.

 

Shaking her head, Bao-ma shouted behind her. “Becareful Young Mistress! Don’t hurt yourself!”

 

“Luhan??” Bixue pressed the receiver to her ear before she took a seat on the sofa.

 

“Time to work on your stamina Xue. You’re panting a bit too much.” Luhan teased the girl who was breathing hardly. A smile spread across his handsome face as he leaned against the wall at his school’s dormitary.

 

“I ran down from the second floor! It’s very far.” Bixue protested cutely causing Luhan to chuckle on the other end.

 

“Haiz, what do I do without you Xue?” Shaking his head, Luhan mumbled. The sound of her voice miraculously chased away the sunken feeling he had within seconds.

 

Before the phonecall with Bixue, he called Qian Ya in Shanghai. They did catch up on their lives a little but they couldn’t talk for long because long distance call were expensive. However when he hung up the phone, his heart felt so heavy. Indeed, distance makes his heart fonder and he felt himself missing her more than ever.

 

“What did you say? I can’t hear you.” Bixue asked when the his voice went muffled over the line.

 

With a gentle smile, Luhan replied. “Nothing.”

 

“Did you manage to go for any audition?” Bixue didn’t probe further and asked the boy on the other line eagerly.

 

“It’s not the time for the auditions yet.”

 

“Then when the time comes you have to try okay?”

 

“Should I?”

 

Nodding her head like Luhan could see her, Bixue encouraged, “Life is either a daring adventure or nothing Luhan.”

 

Luhan smiled to himself. The gentleness in Bixue’s voice simply just warmed his heart. Before he could give a reply, his friend shouted at him.

 

“Luhan! We are going to Myeongdong to shop. Wanna come?”

 

“Go.” Bixue told him right after she heard his friend’s voice over the line. “Have lots of fun.”

 

“Uhm.” This time it was Luhan who was nodding his head on the other end. “I will call you soon.”

 

“Take care of yourself Xue.”

 

“You too Luhan.”

 

After hanging up the phone, Luhan joined his friends with a light heart. He felt so good that he couldn’t even explain why he was feeling so. Even when he reached the crowded Myeongdong, he couldn’t stop smiling.

 

“Excuse me?”

 

Luhan felt someone tapped his shoulder and he turned around to see a lady in her mid 30s. He stared at the lady, unsure of what to reply. He was often mistaken as a Korean and was always asked for directions but he is not, and his Korean was not fluent at all.

 

“I can’t speak Korean. Sorry.” He replied with broken Korean that he learnt during his exchange.

 

“I can speak Mandarin.” The lady replied with a smile. She had been observing him from afar and she noticed how the group of boys were conversing in Mandarin. “I was wondering if you are interested in becoming a singer?”

 

“S.. singer?” Luhan looked up at the girl, blinking his doe eyes consecutively, unsure if he heard the right words.

 

“This is my namecard. Please do come for an interview.”

 

With that, the lady left him as he continued to stare at the card in his hand. SM Entertainment. The company that his idols, DBSK is at. He couldn’t believe that he was scouted by a top company just like that. Everything seems so surreal that he was starting to doubt that it was scam. It was just too good to be true.

 

Just as he was about to crush the namecard, that split moment, he heard Bixue’s voice ringing beside his ears.

 

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing Luhan.


Ooooh, Luhan had been scouted by SM which means he would enter his trainee life soon.

Can't wait to write the dramas that would be coming up!

Enjoy!