The Change

Backstage Romance

Even miracles take time.

 

As children we believed that wishes could come true with the flick of a wand or the snap of a finger. It’s not to say that wonderful things can’t happen quickly, but more often than not, miraculous things take time.

 

Have patience. Even the great changes in our life need time to occur.

 

20th December 2009

 

“That’s it for today. M2, You guys need more practice on your own.” The dance instructor told the group of boys behind him before they chorused, “Thanks for your hardwork.”

 

Luhan bowed politely before going over to the corner of the dance studio to take his waterbottle and gulped it down thirstily. 8 other boys in the room followed suit as everyone was thirsty after the 2 hour intense dance practice. Luhan was dead beat but he couldn’t afford to stop practising because practice isn’t the thing he should be doing once he is good, it’s the thing he can do to make him good. He had just been selected to join the predebut trainees where the final 6 China members would be able to debut. Although they were not officially given a name, M2 was sufficient enough to make them feel recognized.

 

He couldn’t admit enough that time flies. It had been a year since he became a trainee here at SM. Being a trainee was difficult. He didn’t like how he had to be polite with everyone just so he wouldn’t offend or get on the bad side of anyone. He also didn’t like how the trainees call each other friends but secretly backstab one another. He hated how he had to watch the Chinese members get bullied without being able to do anything. Most importantly, he didn’t want to spend any more nights thinking about his indefinite future.

 

“Luhan Hyung!” Turning at the call of his name, Luhan watched how Sehun walked towards him. He was almost as sweaty as him.

 

“Why are you here?” Luhan asked. Sehun was selected to be in M1, preparing a debut with the final 6 Korean boys.

 

“You know.. the usuals.” Sehun shrugged his shoulders dejectedly and Luhan patted his shoulders.

 

“They are fighting again?”

 

Sehun nodded his head. He prefers the way M2 doesn’t interact with one another, at least they wouldn’t fight as much as M1. “Can I practice with you instead? I don’t like it over there.”

 

Looking at Sehun’s sad face, Luhan felt the need to cheer him up. He didn’t like his younger brother to be sad. “You know what? Let’s not practice today.”

 

“Let’s go for your favourite bubble tea.”

 

-

 

Bixue took out the last piece of her clothing and place it neatly into her cupboard. Taking in her small but cosy room, she smiled in satisfaction. This apartment was the result of her hardwork. She had won the design competition and the company awarded her with a sum of money. Not only that, they saw potential in her and even asked her to help them on a project basis. Now, she can design various types of houses and earn a stable income to feed herself without relying on anyone.

 

Everything was just on track, just like how she had planned.

 

Xu Feng managed to convince her father to let her shift out to stay, leading him to think that it was in preparation of their marriage. Then, she managed to buy a decent house with the small amount of money she had and now, she is finally shifting in. Luhan will be proud of her right?

 

As she walked out to the living room, she saw Laogao shifting the sofa to create more space.

 

“Thanks Laogao.” She thanked him sincerely and he nodded his head at her. Before he could give his reply, he was interrupted by someone else.

 

“Bixue, where do you want to put this?” Xu Feng stepped into the apartment and asked.

 

“Here.” Bixue led him to the other room beside hers where she had set it to her art room. She couldn’t thank enough for Laogao and Xu Feng’s help. When Laogao called her the other day, she briefly mentioned about this and he volunteered to help right away. As for Xu Feng, they are now permanently stuck with one another because without him, she couldn’t get out of the house.

 

“I got you something by the way.” Xu Feng told her with a smile, “Follow me.”

 

Just as Bixue was about to step out of her apartment, she saw 2 workers carrying a new bed into her house.

 

“I didn’t buy this.” She said.

 

“I did.” Xu Feng smiled in reply, “As your housewarming gift.”

 

“You shouldn’t have.”

 

“It’s nothing. Where do you want to put it? Tell them.”

 

Laogao watched the couple disappear into the main bedroom and his eyebrows furrowed right away. The arranged marriage between the Zhang and the Xu was a big news in their circle of friends or people who ran the pharmaceutical business. Although most of them were happy for the couple, he wasn’t. He was worried for his best friend and for Bixue.

 

He had guessed that Bixue likes Luhan but he hadn’t manage to confirm it till Luhan left for Seoul. He was quite sure that Luhan likes her too, just that he hasn’t realize it. And this was the hardest part of the whole situation because neither of them knows what was going on. Neither of them knows what the other is thinking and they are both trying to make decisions on something they don’t really know if they would end up together or not.

 

“I will go get some food for you guys.” Xu Feng left the house and it gave Laogao a chance to ask the question he had been dying to know.

 

“Are you really going to do it?” He asked, “The arranged marriage with him.”

 

Shaking her head confidently, Bixue replied. “We are just friends.”

 

Laogao didn’t doubt her answer. Bixue loves Luhan enough to let him find his own happiness. Whether it was Qian Ya or his singer dream, as long as he is happy, she would too. And that is love. “But it doesn’t seem that way to him.”

 

“There’s nothing between us Laogao.” Bixue replied confidently. She knew she had been stained. Whether she is in love with Luhan or whether he was ever in love with her, and no matter who he is in love with now, Luhan changed her life. And just because she loves him does not mean that she should be with him. She can love him and be broken up about him and that can be part of her story. It can stand alone. Acceptance does not neccesarily mean being happy about something. She learnt that it means recognizing it for what it is and letting it be that way.

 

Because she will continue to love Luhan no matter what happens. But she couldn’t tell Laogao just yet.

 

 “By the way, don’t tell Luhan that I shifted.”

 

“Why? Did you guys quarrel or something?” Laogao asked worriedly. A quarrel between them was the last thing he wanted.

 

“Nope. I will tell him when the time is right.”

 

Staring at the girl, Laogao didn’t know what to say. He didn’t know what to do with them. It just frustrates him to see Bixue playing these games, acting like she is okay when Luhan has someone else when in reality it tears her apart to know that he can be happy with someone else. And it frustrates him even more when

they are clearly meant for each other but they are just not right now. 


I'm sorry that this is unedited. I'm really piled up recently as this is my final semester before I graduate. Enjoy this short chapter!