The Reassurance

Backstage Romance

 

The couples that are meant to be are the ones who went through everything that was meant to tear them apart and came out stronger than they were before.

 

20th May 2012

 

[To: Xue]

 

I’m back but I need to practice for the music show. I will meet you after the music show?

 

[From: Xue]

 

No hurry. Your music show is more important. I will wait for you.

 

[To: Xue]

 

Let’s have dinner together then.

 

[From: Xue]

 

Sounds good. I will ask Xu Feng and Guo Jing over.

 

[To: Xue]

 

I will buy some food on my way there.

 

Luhan sighed as he kept his phone close to his heart. It makes him feel a bit better that Bixue was nearer to him that way. Even though they were both in Beijing, they could not meet one another and it was killing Luhan. It had been more than a month since he left her and now that he was back, he could not visit her. The only motivation he had was the thought of seeing her in a few days because he had been counting down to this day since he left.

 

That day, Luhan woke up feeling more exhilarated than ever. He began preparing himself, making sure he shaved and wore her favourite colours. At 3pm, he was all ready for their dinner date.

 

“Wanna go shopping together?” Tao popped his head into his room to see that he was all ready. “Kris and I are heading out.”

 

“Can’t you see that he is going to meet the love of his life?” Chen interrupted as he went into the room that Luhan and him shared. “Believe it or not. He was the first person to wake up this morning.”

 

“It’s not like I don’t have a girlfriend. Let me tell you, distance makes the heart fonder. Don’t meet them so often.” Kris added. “Let them think about us.”

 

“Your girlfriend and mine is different. So please don’t put them into the same category.” Luhan spatted back He knew that Kris has many girlfriends due to his good looks but to him, Bixue was the only one he needed in this life. He did not like how Kris talk about Bixue so lightly. Changing the topic to avoid an argument, he asked the duo. “Do you think the two of you can help me distract the fans outside while I take the sidedoor?”

 

Shrugging his shoulders, Kris replied. “Sure.”

 

While Kris and Tao walked through the front door, the fans failed to spot the other figure who walked out of the side door into a black car. Luhan had managed to sneak into Lao Gao’s car without anyone noticing as they drove down the streets of Beijing. He had to admit, he was nervous about seeing his girlfriend.

 

“Laogao, can you drop me at the dumpling shop that we always go?” Luhan told his personal chauffer who complies to everything he says despite complaining about it every single time.

 

“What do you want to go there for?” Laogao asked curiously. “Hungry uh?”

 

“Nope. Xue likes the dumpling there. We used to go there when we were in middle school.” Luhan smiled at the memories. He would wait for her outside her school and bring her to dumpling shop for lunch before going home together. He really missed those times where he could take her out openly without any worries. At the same time, he regretted not appreciating them back then because now, he could no longer do the same anymore.

 

“I think you should stay here. It’s crowded. I will help you get.” Laogao offered.

 

Shaking his head, Luhan insisted that he wanted to go and get it himself. It was not only for Bixue but for Xu Feng and Guo Jing who made everything possible. If it was not for them, Bixue and him would never be together. Getting the dumplings were the least he could do. Pulling his cap lower, he walked into the dumpling store that was filled with middle school kids. Thankfully no one recognised him and he could leave the store safely after purchasing.

 

“Eat with us?” Luhan asked Laogao when he dropped him off at the carpark under Bixue’s apartment.

 

“No thanks. I don’t know Xu Feng and Guo Jing. It would be awkward.”

 

“Okay, next time then.” Luhan patted his best friend’s shoulder and Laogao nodded his head.

 

“Give me a call when you want to leave.”

 

When Luhan punched in the familiar numbers and the front doors of Bixue’s house unlocked, a satisfied smile spread across his face. He had finally returned home and it felt good. Even his dormitory did not give him such feelings.

 

“Luhan?” Bixue walked out of the kitchen just in time to meet the boy in the middle. Right away, she was being surrounded by his scent, his warmth and his embrace. Closing her eyes, Bixue leaned into him. For many nights she had imagined this and it had finally came true. Suddenly, something struck her and she pushed the boy away. “Oh no! My beef!”

 

Luhan watched Bixue run back into the kitchen to rescue her food. He shook his head and followed her in. Even though he was with her now, he was still missing her so much. As Bixue cooked, Luhan hung around her, not wanting to be more than one arms length away from her. Occasionally when she was telling him about her days, he would steal kisses on her cheeks causing her to pout her lips in annoyance because she got interrupted and Luhan would then laugh at her adorableness. If it was not for the doorbell that disturbed the couple, they would have fogotten that they were expecting guests.

 

“I will go and open the door. You stay inside.” Bixue told Luhan and she ran to get the door. Xu Feng and Guo Jing came hand in hand and they froze when they saw Luhan. They had seen him in photos and definitely through his MV but they were still shocked at his appearance. He really was beyond good looking.

 

“Hello. I’m Luhan. You must be Xu Feng.” Luhan walked up to them and extended to the man first then to the lady beside him. “And you must be Guo Jing.”

 

“Nice to meet you.” Xu Feng shook his hand firmly and they both gave each other a reassuring smile that only men could understand.

 

“I bought some stuff. I will go and cook.” Guo Jing wanted to leave the 2 men alone so she excused herself to the kitchen. “And help Bixue.”

 

“I’m only here to eat.” Xu Feng told his fiance with a playful grin. “That’s the only thing I know how to do.”

 

His sentence drew laughters from everyone, shattering the awkward atmosphere. The ladies headed to the kitchen and the men went to the living room. As Luhan and Xu Feng sat across one another, the awkward atmosphere lingered between them once again.

 

“Ahh right..” Luhan broke the silence by initiating the conversation. “I.. just wanted to say thanks.”

 

“For everything you had done for Bixue and me.” He gave a slight bow.

 

“Don’t be.” Xu Feng patted his shoulder. “It’s for myself too.”

 

“You won’t know how important your success was to me. I can’t imagine if Bixue and you ever….” Luhan swallowed hard as scenes of Bixue walking down the aisle with Xu Feng appeared in his head. “I don’t think I will be able to live the same way again..”

 

“I wasted too much time last time..”

 

Nodding his head, Xu Feng told Luhan. “I know.”

 

“You know?” Luhan was shocked that Xu Feng knew what he meant. It was something he had never told anyone before, not even Bixue.

 

“I knew Bixue since we were 19.” Xu Feng explained, “When you were not around, she was really reallly brave.”

 

“She walked out of the house with just her drawings and drawing materials. She brought nothing else with her just to be with someone who doesn’t even love her back.”

 

“She’s a really strong girl.”

 

Shaking his head, Luhan unknowingly clenched his fist. How he wished he could give Bixue the world but she deserved so much more than that. “She was not like this last time. She used to hide behind me all the time because she would only talk to me.”

 

“But because I went to Korea, she could no longer afford to hide behind me.”

 

“Now that I am back, I still can’t protect her and she has to be even stronger because she is dating someone whom is always not by her side most of the time.”

 

“It’s not easy having a long distance relationship right?” Xu Feng asked. After hearing Luhan he was suddenly glad that Guo Jing and him did not have to be separated like that. He could not imagine not seeing her for more than a month or even to be separated without knowing when would they meet again.

 

“It’s not easy but it’s okay.” Luhan replied seriously. “Because I know she is happy even though we are apart.”

 

“She makes me happier than… anything I’ve ever known. And if I can have a part in making her happy again, that’s all I wanna do.”

 

“Even if it means that I have to be the one suffering from missing her.”

 

Xu Feng nodded his head in agreement. He was glad that the man Bixue sacrificed so much for was worthy enough. With an encouraging smile, he told Luhan. “Just spend whatever time you have with her. I’m sure she would be happy enough.”

 

As promised, Luhan tries his best to spend every moment he had with Bixue. He pulled his chair close to hers and draped his arms around her as he held her other hand in his over dinner. When they drank red wine, he made sure that she did not drink too much, constantly reminding her to drink slowly. Bixue too, took joy in such short and simple moments with him. She would always put food on his plate, making sure he ate well. His smile was her energy to go on for the next one month or two without him.

 

“We will leave first then.” Xu Feng bid farewell to the couple before patting Luhan’s shoulder again. “See you soon. Meet up for drinks when you are back.”

 

After the couple left,  Luhan knew that his time was almost up too. He held her hand in the living room as he turned and looked at her.


“Let me take a look at you properly.” He traced every feature of her face with his soft gaze. From her eyebrows to her lips, he just wanted to make sure he had a good look at her before he leaves again. He knew the next time he would be seeing her would probably be a month later or even more than that. As his right thumb carressed her soft cheeks, he asked her. “Xue.. are you upset? Like we can’t see each other so often.”

 

With a smile ever so reassuring, Bixue replied him confidently. “Never.”

 

Luhan nodded his head and pulled her close to him. This is his Bixue. His only Bixue because she no longer need him like she used to.

 

And it made her more attractive than before.


It's funny how I can always finish writing this story in one sit as compared to L303 that took me days. 

I am looking for Exo's schedule during the time the return to Korea for preparation for Wolf promo. Do let me know if you guys know anything!

Enjoy!