The 22nd Birthday

Backstage Romance

 

She would have swallowed the sun to make him warm enough. She was nothing but love.

 

She was nothing but love.

 

20th April 2012

 

Luhan clapped his hand as the crowd before him sang him a birthday song. The combined voices of his fans gave him goosebumps all over, but in a positive way. He did not know what did he do to have so many fans adoring him, but he was happy. It made him feel like he had accomplished something important in his life, something that he had been hoping for.

 

“Thank you everyone. Thank you for your gifts. I will use it well.” He bowed before the fans and they left the stage of his birthday celebration. As they took the van to the next location, he looked through the boxes of presents that contained branded goods and letters. That moment he knew, he would be indebted to them forever. Not only to his fans, but to his company and to his fellow brothers. They celebrated his birthday that year in a suite of a 5-star restaurant. They ate, they drank and they had lots of fun but to Luhan, something was still missing.

 

[From: Xue]

 

How’s your birthday celebration with your fans?

 

[To: Xue]

 

It was really good! I feel bad that they spent so much money on me though.

 

[From: Xue]

 

Treat them well. Without them, there would be no you.

 

[To: Xue]

 

I will. I miss you.

 

[From: Xue]

 

I miss you too.

 

“Manager hyung.” Luhan went up to the guy who was drinking with Tao. The duo was already in high mood after an hour of drinking. “Can I go out with my friend tonight?”

 

“Just for a short while! I promise I will be back before morning.”

 

The older man looked at the younger and nodded his head. He did not want to refuse his request on his birthday. However, he was still afraid that he might be caught by paparazzi.

 

“Just make sure you maintain your image at all times and don’t get caught.” He reminded him and Luhan nodded his head obediently.


“Don’t worry, my friend will pick me up. I will just leave via the backdoor.”

 

“Okay then.”

 

Upon receiving permission he quickly made a phonecall. After an hour, he received a text on his phone and he quickly picked up his bag. His manager and a few other restaurant staffs guided him to the backdoor where he boarded a black car.

 

“Happy birthday.” Lao-gao threw him a bag right after Luhan fastened his seatbelt. Luhan hit his best friend playfully before opening up his present, it was a limited edition pair of sneakers that he had showed him a couple of weeks ago.

 

“No wonder you told me it was ugly.” Luhan rolled his eyes at his friend’s attempt to surprise him. “I was thinking my taste can’t be that bad.”

 

“I don’t deny that your taste is good, or you would not make friends with me already.” Lao-gao further as he drove down the streets of Beijing. “Its me who has a bad taste.”

 

“Why so?”

 

“Because I became a chauffer ever since our famous Luhan and Bixue got together!” Lao-gao protested. He had been driving him to Bixue whenever he came back to Beijing. It was not that he minded anyway, he just wanted to tease his favourite couple. “This won’t do. I need to demand a huge red packet when you guys get married.”

 

“Dream on. I’m not giving it to you.” Luhan laughed.

 

“I will just ask Bixue to dig a good amount of money from you during gate crash.”

 

“What kind of friend are you man!”

 

“Your best friend plus personal chauffer!”

 

The teasing and laughter came to an end when Lao Gao pulled up at Bixue’s apartment block. They walked out of the car together with Laogao keeping Luhan out of sight from people as they made their way to her apartment. Till he reached her doorstep then Lao-gao left.

 

Opening the door using the key that Bixue gave to him the previous time, he slipped into her house quietly. The only light that lit his way were the ones coming from the kitchen. He was quite sure that Bixue was still awake, she replied him when he was in Laogao’s car. Then, he saw lights coming from the far end of the corridoor and he approached it slowly, a warm smile creeping up his face.

 

There she was, sitting in front of her wooden table with a paintbrush dancing on the canvas sheet.

 

“What are you doing?” Luhan wrapped his arms around her shoulders and leaned his head on her neck, causing Bixue to jump and let out a gasp. He giggled playfully at her reaction before turning over to look at her, studying every feature of hers.

 

“Luhan!” Bixue eyes lit up when she saw his pretty face but it was soon replace by exasperation when she saw her drawing. “Look what you had done!”

 

Luhan looked at the drawing that Bixue had been working on. On the top left hand side of the corner, it clipped a picture of him dancing on stage while on the huge canvas, it was the blown up version of the picture. Bixue had painted it very carefully, paying attention to every small detail because even his untied shoelace was portrayed on her painting. The painting was really beautiful except that now, Luhan has an extra mole on his left cheek.

 

“You ruined your own birthday gift.” Bixue pouted her lips angrily before complaining again, “And you wasted a week worth of my effort!”

 

Seeing that Luhan was still grinning from ear to ear, clearly feeling no remorse of what he had done, Bixue hit his hand around her lightly. “Don’t think I will let you go just because it’s your birthday today.”

 

Luhan ruffle Bixue’s hair gently and put down her paintbrush in her hand. He led her to the toilet and the faucet, washing her hands that were stained with paint before cleaning it dry for her. Then, he hugged the girl and told her through the mirror, “I don’t care, you owe me 2 gifts in total.”

 

“My 18th and my 22nd.”

 

“You said you will give it to me but I never received it. Don’t think you were sick back then and I would let you go.”

 

In fact, Luhan did not want any gift from her. He just wanted to spend the last few hours of his birthday with her and it would be the best birthday present he ever received in his 22 years of life.

 

Bixue met Luhan’s gaze through the reflection. She gave him a small nodd and led him to the kitchen. She sat him down at the dining area and told him nothing. She simply went into the kitchen and began pulling out the pots and pans, and food from the refrigerator. Luhan did not say a word either. Even though he was full from the dinner earlier, he would still finish up everything that Bixue whips up for him. It is her first time cooking for him. With a smile on his face, Luhan could already picture that one day, she is going to wake him up as she is trying to get out of bed silently for work. But he will pretend to be asleep as she slipped into the bathroom and closes the door with a light click. Then at that moment, he will throw the covers off himself and bound for the kitchen to make her coffee and breakfast to go so that by the time she finished getting ready, she has breakfast to eat. He was sure for the rest of this life, he will take care of her even down to the little details.

 

When Bixue set down the plate of tomato fried egg and sweet and sour pork, it was already pass Luhan’s birthday. Luhan did not mind. He took up his chopsticks and began eating right away.

 

“Woah. Our Bixue can cook so well!” As Luhan swallowed his food, his hand reached out to pinch her nose gently. “I can’t believe that this is only the first time you are cooking for me.”

 

Shaking her head, Bixue told him, “This not my first time cooking for you.”

 

“Not the first time?” Luhan tilted his head sideways, “I’m quite sure it’s the first.”

 

 “This is my 18th year old present for you back then Luhan.”

 

“Now you know why I can’t give it to you?”

 

Luhan still looked as confused as before. With a smile, Bixue went on. “Do you still remember where you went on your 18th birthday?”

 

Luhan thought hard and suddenly something hit him. He did not spend his 18th birthday with Bixue. It was the first time that he did not go to her house after his dinner with his parents because he went out with Qian Ya that year. He only went to her house a few days after to learn that she was sick. Now it all made sense.

 

Luhan looked up at her with guilt covering his eyes but Bixue simply just reached out and held his hand. “It’s okay. It’s long over.”

 

“I’m sure the food taste better now as compared to when I was 18.”

 

However, it did not make Luhan feel any better. He really wondered how could a heart like hers ever love a heart like his back then. Holding on to her hand tightly, he really do not want to lose her again.

 

Picking up her chopsticks with her free hand, Bixue sent a piece of tomato fried egg into Luhan’s mouth.

 

“This is your 18th birthday present.” Then, she put another piece of sweet and sour pork into his mouth again. “This is your 22nd birthday present.”

 

“I don’t owe you anymore present now.”

 

Her adorable actions and words caused Luhan to laugh. Holding on to her hands tightly, he picked up his own chopsticks and began eating the food before him, occasionally feeding Bixue until there was nothing left on the plates.

 

“Let go. I need to wash up now.” Sitting diagonally across him, Bixue tried to pull her hand out but Luhan just held it tighter.

 

“Xue.” Luhan called her seriously and it made Bixue’s heart skipped a beat. “Thank you for celebrating my birthday with me this year.”

 

“I hope that we can do this for the rest of the years till we are old, or very very old.”

 

Nodding her head, Bixue looked into Luhan’s eyes. “I will celebrate your birthday with you forever.”

 

Bixue’s words caused Luhan’s hearts to flutter too. He likes to hear the word forever coming from . It makes him anticipate for the future where there will just be the two of them. Pulling his chair forward, Luhan bent his body forward to be closer to Bixue. With his right hand cupping her face, it’s only right for him to use his lips to seal the promise they had made.


I will try my best to update more often since CNY is over but do give me some time to get into the mood. Hahah.

I really ship Luxue couple a lot! I think I must be a little crazy because I write the story and yet I'm crazy about them. lol. Does this even make sense? I just love the pace of their relationship.

And I need a big favour from the Luhan fans out there. I would deeply appreciate it if you guys can tell me their schedule after 120531. I only have till then. It would aid me a lot in writing the dates and reality of this fic! Thank you!

Enjoy!!