Chapter 2

This Is Then Counted

Leo stared at the blue-white earphones in his hands as he laid in the room. It was left on the ground not too far away from a small puddle of blood on the ground beside him when you ran away from him the moment N shouted his name. He wiped off the patches of blood on your earphones using his fingers as he continued to think about that strange person he met. It was obvious that you were afraid of animals, but you still pounced on the dog to save the boy. What is she?

The same ringtone from previously broke his train of thoughts. The screen lit up, showing the Caller ID from the day before. And after making sure that no one was in the room, he gave in to the urge to answer the phone. 

 

 

'Oppa you said you're gonna check on me today yet you didn't appear! By the way can I have your timetable? And sorry oppa, I think I dropped the earphones you gave me.' You rattled into the phone which you placed on the table as you dug through your bag with your left hand, not knowing that you weren't receiving an answer. 'Oppa? Hakyeon oppa?' And that was when you remembered about the incident yesterday where someone else answered the phone instead. 'Aish must be someone else again. At least they didn't put me on loudspeaker.' You mumbled, not knowing that Leo heard every single thing you said clearly. 'Sorry for bothering you, I'll call back again later.' You said and quickly hung up.

 

 

Leo stared at N's phone, then at the earphones he was holding on to again. To him, everything pieced together, from the question regarding animals and then the earphones. The person who called asked about animals and commented about it while avoiding the cats that afternoon, then the same person dropped her earphones and called apologizing for the lost of her earphones. It seemed like it was too much of a coincidence though. Are they a couple? But he quickly shook off that thought.

N's phone vibrated twice in Leo's hand, getting his attention back.

Pig [ 1 Text Message ]

     Oppa I called you just now but someone answered without saying anything. Can I have your timetable for school though? Please please please?

Leo scrolled up to the past conversation which was sent that morning and something caught his eye. Umma? Yeon-ah? He remembered N calling you that through the phone the previous day. Siblings? Why didn't she reply the messages though. He clicked onto your contact picture. She is indeed the one from this afternoon. Leo recalled you running away from him when N shouted his name and immediately assumed that you was avoiding N. Well, it wasn't entirely false. You were trying to escape from the guy who helped you, not realizing that it was N who shouted his name, and it goes without saying that you would have escaped too if you knew N was there.

Concluding that you were N's sister, Leo unknowingly heaved a sigh of relief before heading to take a picture of N's timetable. 

 

 

Within a few minutes, you received a reply and opened it to find a picture of N's timetable. You stared at it again and then at the message you sent. You shuddered as you did not remove your eyes from it at all. You clicked on the picture and exited again, and did it all over again. That isn't...

 

 

The phone vibrated in Leo's hands again. But the reply was one which he did not expect at all.

     Who are you?

'Taekwoon ah! What are you doing?' N burst into the room and Leo quickly placed N's phone under his blanket. 

'Nothing.' Leo swiftly took out his phone and looked through his music library, his finger lingering on the screen as he thought back to your reply as N left the room, thankfully, without making a fuss. How on earth does she know?

 

 

You saw your message being read by who-knows-who and waited for a few minutes before sending another message. 

 

 

Leo felt the blanket vibrate again and looked out of the door to ensure that no one was around before looking at it with half of it covered by the blanket. 

     Hakyeon oppa wouldn't have sent it that easily. Even if he did (which will never happen unless he nags at me), he wouldn't have sent it without a message. Who are you?

He stared at the message blankly as he contemplated whether or not to reply.

After a while of staring, Leo typed in a reply. At the same time when his message was sent, he received a message and he smirked. Coincidence much?

     Member?

Member. 

You looked at your phone and laughed in disbelief. Looks like this person who didn't put me on loudspeaker isn't that bad after all. He has sense.

     Well, that's a constructive reply I guess?

Before Leo could reply, another message came in. 

     I guess you wouldn't tell me your name even if I asked, but can you do me a favor? Please? Delete the conversation from me asking for the timetable onwards? As you might already know since I already stated it up there ^, oppa wouldn't have sent it to me. Hehe.

Leo found himself typing under the blanket as he replied to your message. 

Okay.

He continued to stare at your contact picture as he waited for your reply.

     Thank you, member(?).

He laughed and without thinking, replied immediately. 

Taekwoon, Jung Taekwoon.

She can't possibly not know now that I gave her my name? 

     Thank you, Taekwoon oppa. Good night!
- Cha Minyeon, Hakyeon's younger sister :)

Leo smiled as he replied before wiping out the entire conversation you had with him.

Good night, Minyeon.

Contrary to Leo's thoughts, you had absolutely no idea that Taekwoon was the same guy who helped you that afternoon, and also the one who said that there weren't any animals in the neighborhood. You were never good at recognizing faces, or names.

 


 

You had your usual outfit on and scrutinized N's timetable before leaving your house, with the timing of his lessons highlighted and breaks circled in red. Now, the only thing in your mind was to successfully get to and fro school without bumping into him. 

I better make good use of this freedom before he finds me. You checked your bag for all the necessary documents needed as you left the building. 

You unconsciously looked around at your surroundings as you headed to the bus stop. What kind of freedom is this when I keep looking out for him! You dumped your bag on the bench as you sat down. At least its better than surrendering myself to him straight away. Or is it not. 'I don't knowww!' You whined as you boarded the bus, neglecting the judging stares from others.

It was hard to go out on your own when N knew your whereabouts since he would start asking about it and you were trying to make the best out of your freedom before he ties a leash onto you. 

 


 

'Miss Cha, we'll get everything organized and get back to you with your classes prepared.' The teacher looked at the calendar by her desk and then back at you. 'Here's your uniform, and we'll see you all prepared for school on Thursday?' You nodded at the teacher as you took your things from her. 'Remember to come here for your timetable first.' You nodded again. 'Now, you can go, you look like you're going to freeze to death.' 

'Thank you very much,' You quickly glanced at the tag on the desk, ' Ms Lee.' You smiled as you bowed to the teacher and quickly left the room.

 

It was freezing cold in the room after you stayed there for two hours to take the test required to gauge your abilities. You took out N's timetable as you sandwiched the uniform between your left arm and your body, and checked your phone for the time. Crap. 5 Minutes and it's his break next. 5 Minutes 5 Minutes 5 Minutes. I have 5 Minutes to get out of here. 

The moment you looked up, you knocked into someone immediately felt a sharp pain in your right arm from the impact. Your left hand flew to clutch onto your right elbow, causing you to drop your stuff by reflex. 'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.' You quickly apologized as you bowed to whoever was in front of you. 

 

 

'Hyung are we meeting them straight at the canteen or?' Hyuk turned to Leo as he continued walking on. Leo shrugged as he saw someone who wasn't in their uniform walking straight towards them. 

He quickly tried to pull Hyuk away but it was too late as you collided into each other and your stuff dropped onto the ground. 'O-!' Then, something caught Leo's attention as the girl clutched onto her right arm and a white bandage was visible peeking out of her sleeve.

'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry.' He recognized the voice and the outfit, and tried to look at you, but your face was covered as you did not lift your head up, plus your hood was over your head.

 

 

'Is it okay?' You felt someone hold onto your right wrist gently and you resisted the urge to look up. You genius you haven't even started school and already got into deep . 

'Yeah-' You nodded and moved your right arm away from his grasp as you saw another guy pick up your stuff from the ground. Guys, too much guys. This isn't good-

'Hi! You're new here? Here's your uniform-' 

'Yah! What are you guys doing there!' You heard a voice from afar and quickly grabbed your uniform from him and made your escape without looking back. 

'and your phone?' Hyuk looked at your phone left in his hand and back at the spot where you were standing at a few moments ago. 

While the other watched as you ran away, not turning to where N's voice came from. One day, I swear I'm going to kill him. 

'Hyung, she forgot her phone.' Leo looked at the phone lying in Hyuk's palm and took it immediately without much thought. 'Why are you taking it though hyung.' 

'Yah! What were you guys doing?' N said as he slung his arm over Hyuk's shoulder.

'We bumped into a girl and she dropped he- Hyung!' Hyuk turned to Leo as he elbowed him in the stomach. 

'Nothing.' Leo muttered and headed in the direction you went in. 

'YAHHH! JUNG LEO WHERE ARE YOU GOING!'

Leo quickly ran out of the school building as soon as the members were out of sight, and slowed to a stop as he saw a figure outside the gates, digging through her bag. 

 

 

'First earphones, now phone?' You muttered as you dug through your bag with your left hand. 'What is thisss!' Being a right hander, you struggled as you dug your left hand into your bag. This is too darn dark. You removed the hood from your head before trying to dig again, and cringed as your right arm muscles tensed up. Oh come on, don't do this to me.

'Aish.' After a few minutes of digging, you gave up and instead tried to recall what might have happened to your phone. Checking for the time. 5 Minutes. Boom. Stuff dropped. What stuff? Uniform, phone. Guy grabs hand. You looked at your right arm. Wait, what? Never mind, not important now. Grabs unif- Oh. Must have been underneath the uniform on his hand. Crap. Cha Minyeon, why do you have such small hands which can't grab everything! You stomped on the ground unknowingly as you muttered, 'Pabo. What are you going to do without a phone!' 

'Yeah you, finally got into trouble after umpteenth times of your phone slipping out of your hands?' You muttered to yourself. 'You're going to be the death of me!' The irony, speaking to myself. 

By that time, Leo was already close enough to hear your intense argument with yourself. And just like that, he smiled. 

'Two days without a phone should be manageable I guess...' You muttered as you zipped up your bag.

Suddenly, you felt someone holding you back just when you were about to leave. 'Your phone?' Your head jerked up to face the person in front of you and you shifted your attention to the phone in his palm as soon as you processed what he was saying. 

'Oh! Thank you so much!' You muttered and smiled as you took your phone from him, using your right arm by instinct and cringing again. Crap. You quickly used your left hand to take back your phone and bowed again before unhesitatingly making your leave.

 

 

Leo stared blankly at your back-view as you quickly walked away and placed your hood over your head again with his hand still hanging in the air. He froze at the moment you looked up and smiled at him, this time without any hood to cover your head or any part of your face, and the next moment, you were gone, again. Does she not recognize me? Does she not remember me? You have long disappeared from his view. Is she avoiding me on purpose?

'Jung Leo! What are you doing!' N's face appeared right in front of Leo as his hand smacked down on Leo's, bringing him back to reality. He glared at N. Don't your sister remember me? 'Yah what did I do?'

 

 

You checked through your phone and made sure that it didn't crash like the previous time you dropped it. Wait. You thought back to the person who returned you your phone. Where have I seen him before? Yah! Cha Minyeon, you should really get your head checked. Who forgets people that easily?

 


 

[A/N] This chapter wasn't much, I'm sorry >< The members most probably will be meeting her in the next chapter. (and the recognition) Most probably. Heh. But who knows what will happen when she finds out. Meh. 

I'm sorry for the repetitions and weird English phrasing, it's a really bad habit ><

Thank you very much for the subscribers and comments! More more hehe xD