Chapter 33

This Is Then Counted

N freaked out when he received the call from the hospital, and immediately rushed over. All sorts of things were running through his mind on his way there, afraid that something terrible had happened, for you to be admitted to the hospital. What kind of brother am I, to actually get her injured?

The moment the nurse told him that your injuries were minor, he was relieved, but when she added, unnecessarily, that you had your boyfriend taking care of you, he had his second thoughts. Boyfriend? Did she give me the wrong ward? Is it not Yeonie?

 

‘Yeon, joke of the day, the nurse said that your boyfriend was wi-‘ And, instantly, he felt his stomach boiling when he saw what was in front of him. Jung Taekwoon that bastard-

From minutes ago, he was freaking out, imagining the worst things that could have happened, so afraid that something bad had happened to you, but that moment when he stepped in, he was shocked beyond words. 'Hakyeon-a-'

'Out. GET OUT.’

You flinched when N shouted, and Leo immediately turned back to you. It's not supposed to be like this. It's not going to be pleasant that he found out himself. Minyeonie will- 'Oppa-'

'Did you not hear what I just said?' N's voice became even louder, and Leo gave your hand a tight squeeze before heading out of the door, with N still in the room.

 

Your eyes fixed onto your hands as you did not dare to look up at your brother, his anger evident through the silence in the room. He's going to kill me...

'Just answer the questions I ask you. Okay?' He rarely used such a tone on you, other than the times when you were small and would drink his banana milk without permission, when he was at an age where banana milks were his life. Not that you don’t do it still, but that wasn’t the main point. You nodded, your body frozen in fear as your hand shook slightly while you had it shoved under the sheets. Seeing your reaction, he faltered, and his voice softened a slight bit, but yet not wanting to let you off just because of that. 'Okay?'

'O-Okay.'

'How did you get injured?' His eyes scanned past your bandages swiftly, and was relieved that there were no other parts seemingly injured.

'A b-boy ran out onto the road without looking...'

'How are your injuries?'

'Scratches and abrasions, n-no fractures or broken stuff.' You could see him getting closer from the corner of your eye.

N nodded slightly, though you were not able to see with your head lowered. It's not her fault. She- Don't make her cry Hakyeon. Just, ask her nicely. 'What did you come out for?'

'Hakyeon oppa...'

'I asked, what did you come out for?' You could hear a tinge of annoyance in his voice. Why did you not listen to him? He said not to date. And here you are getting into trouble... 

'Taekwoon oppa called me out.' So that's why he has been disappearing that often recently. And I actually didn't question his whereabouts. How long did they even- He sighed, and you finally found the courage to look at him. 'I-I'm sorry Hakyeon oppa.'

'Sorry? What for?' You flinched again, and had your head dug down again, your tears threatening to drop.

'Oppa-' N heard your voice cracking and immediately stopped his questioning.

'It's not your fault.' He himself did not know how to handle you, in such a situation, but he was certain that he wasn't going to let it past that easily either. That was when he noticed something lit up on the side table. 'I'll be back in awhile.'

You only looked back up when you heard the door shut, and then realized a little too late, that your phone was gone.

 

 

 

Leo waited worriedly outside the room as he paced back and forth. He thought that N will be out with him, but did not expect him to confront you first. 

He lifted his head when he heard a stampede, and found Hongbin, Ravi, and Miyoung running over. 'Taekwoon hyung?' By the look on his face, they thought that something serious happened to you, and they were starting to panic. ‘How’s Minyeonie?’

‘She’s fine.’ However, the way he said it, was not convincing at all.

‘But then why are you-?’

‘Hakyeon’s inside.’

‘Uhuh then? Why are you sta-‘ Hongbin quickly nudged Ravi, as he caught on immediately, but Ravi, as usual, lagged. ‘What?! What’s with you?’

Miyoung looked at Ravi and sighed, and turned back to Leo. But before anyone could say anything else, the door opened, to reveal an extremely unhappy N.

He did not even acknowledge the rest, merely uttering, ‘Taekwoon, come with me.’, and left.

‘Miyoung, you go in first, we’ll try to make sure nothing bad happens.’ Hongbin said hurriedly, before pulling Ravi along to follow the both of them.

 

 

 

You immediately strained your neck at the door when you heard it click. But was disappointed when it wasn’t the person you expected wanted to see.

‘Young? How did you-?’

‘Wonshik oppa brought me over.’ She said as she sat down next to you.

‘You were together?’ At least Wonshik oppa’s side is working well.

‘Yeah…’ You eyed her weirdly when she didn’t seem to happy to talk about it.

‘Don’t tell me you guys got into a fight again. What did he do this time?’

‘He didn’t do anything.’

‘Then? You?’

‘I said that his hair looks like bread.’

You paused and let it sink into your head. Bread? Taekwoon oppa and Hakyeon oppa changed their hairstyles too. But, who describes hair as bread? And you recalled how they looked quite decent with the change. How bad can it be? ‘Oh no you didn’t.’

‘And bad.’

'I'm sure it isn't actually-'

'It is bad. Extremely. Trust me.' You looked at her slightly before nodding. 'But, what about you and Leo oppa? Harabeoji found out didn’t he?’

You smiled weakly back at her. ‘Yeah…’

‘What did he say?’

‘He only asked how I injured myself. He say he’s coming back later, so I think he’ll talk about it then.’ Miyoung nodded silently. ‘He took my phone.’

‘Wait what? Why on earth would he do that?’

‘I don’t know. I was just saying. So maybe you wouldn’t be able to contact me for the time being.’

You heard the door click again, and tried to look over Miyoung’s shoulder to see who it was. Ravi. His hair, IS bad.

‘Minye-‘ And he saw Miyoung turn to look at him. ‘Minyeonie.’ The awkwardness between the both of them was so obvious, and you had the urge to tease them, but were not in the situation to. ‘How’s your injuries?’

‘It’s fine, Wonshik oppa. Where’s Taekwoon oppa?’

‘Hakyeon hyung asked him to follow him. Hongbinnie and I wanted to follow, but he stopped us, then we insisted, but he said someone had to look after you, so here I am.’

‘Oh…’

‘He’ll be fine. Don’t worry. Hakyeon hyung knows that Taekwoon hyung’s a good guy.’ But Taekwoon oppa being a good guy isn't all that's important, especially to Hakyeon oppa. 

 

‘But, Min, since when did the both of you start?’

‘Huh?’ You asked, as you looked blankly at her. ‘When do I count from?’

‘The river?’ Ravi suggested.

'Then that's-' You looked at your fingers as you tried to count the days. A month. . It's exactly a month. '.'

'What?' Miyoung asked worriedly, 'It's not some special occasion is it?'

'It's a month. Right?' Ravi added, after mentally calculating the days himself. 

'A month? Exactly a month?' You nodded. 

Did he mean to call me out particularly today? And I screwed it up didn't I? By getting injured, and ending up here, and Hakyeon oppa too. 

 

 

 

Hongbin shifted on his legs uncomfortably as he constantly looked over at the two males a few metres away from him. Ravi was made to go back to look after you, since he was more ‘accident prone’ in a way, and no one needed any more trouble. But that did not mean that Hongbin was allowed to be next to them, and N compromised for him to stand a distance away, in case something violent do happen. 

‘Since when?’ N asked, his voice cold. ‘Since when did you start dating my younger sister?’

‘A month ago.’ He cringed. A month. He just ruined his younger sister’s first month. But that wasn’t the point. He wasn’t told of anything. And it was Leo. And he had to find out himself, walking in to find them kissing, just kissed, about to kiss. He didn’t even know himself.

‘Since when did you like her?’ N eyed Leo when he hesitated. ‘If you keep anything else-‘

‘From the first day I met her.’

‘First day? As in the day in school?’

‘Before that.’ What? ‘I met her a few days before that. When you found me downstairs.’

N was confused. The new information was taking time to be processed. So Taekwoon met her, before, and I didn’t know, and what? From the day he first met her? ‘How did it happen? Isn’t one month ago, when we already started our practices?’

‘That- It-‘ Leo tried rummaging through his brains but could not find the right words to explain himself. ‘Hakyeon-ah, I’ll take good care of her.’

‘How are you supposed to take good care of her when you don’t even have the time to?’

‘I’ll find time.’

‘We follow the schedules, the schedules don’t follow us. Who are you even kidding? And then what? During our tours? What’s going to happen? During breaks? How many breaks do we even get?’ Leo kept quiet as N exploded. ‘And you didn’t even tell me a single flipping thing. Since the day you first met her. And then I myself have to find out that you’re dating my younger sister. When I mentioned repeatedly and emphasized that no, not a single one of you shall think of doing anything to her.’

‘I was going to tell you, but the timing-‘

‘Timing wasn’t right? Then when would it be right? When she breaks down and cry one day, saying that she broke up, and then when I find out afterwards that it's you?’

‘Hakyeon, I won’t do that. I won’t make her cry. I won’t do anything to make her sad. Just give me a chance.’

‘I’m pretty sure that not being there for her is enough to make her sad.’ Leo onced again was silenced, not knowing how to respond to that. ‘And you got her injured, didn’t you?’

‘That- I’m really sorry.’

‘See? How are you going to take care of her then? Without time, and when you do have time, you get her injured?’

‘I’ll be more careful.’

‘No. I won’t let you date her. She needs someone who is able to REALLY take care of her.’ N simply turned around when he was done with what he had to say, walking straight past Hongbin, and headed for your room.  

 

 

 

Every time you heard the door click, you hoped that it was Leo, but you knew that it wouldn’t be. By the time N came back, the other members were already here, alerted by N earlier when he thought that you were seriously injured. And Hyuk, too, found out that N finally knew.

He saw how exasperated you were, constantly asking Ravi where N brought Leo to, and if he looked okay. Why must it be Taekwoon hyung? How did they even start? I can do what Taekwoon hyung can do too, I won’t make her sad like this.

 

Just then, N finally came back, but he was alone. ‘You kids go back first, I’ll bring her back.’

Knowing better than to provoke N anymore, they quickly filed out, leaving the both of you alone.

‘Let’s go back first, then, we’ll talk.’

 

 

 

'Why Taekwoon?'

'I like Taekwoon oppa.' You looked at your hands as you answered him. You sat on your bed, back in your own room, as he stood in front of you. 

'Yeon, you can't date Taekwoon.'

'Why not?' 

'I don't have the time to take care of you, do you think he has the time?'

'But-' 

'No way am I letting you date someone who doesn't have the time for you.' You finally looked up at him. 'You want to date is one thing, but he isn't someone with lots of free time. No.'

'Taekwoon oppa takes good care of me!'

'Getting you injured is called taking good care of you?'

'It's not his fault!'

N sighed as he raked his hand through his hair. 'I'm not going to argue with you over a guy. No idols. And that is final.' 

'You yourself is an idol!'

'That's exactly why it can't be Taekwoon! I know how hard it is, and how busy we are. He wouldn't have the time for you!'

‘Minhyuk oppa’s an idol too!’

‘Then you should be clear how busy we are!’

'At least he doesn't shout at me like you do!' N immediately kept quiet as he glared at you.

But the silence was not for long. 

'So if I allow, what will happen when you go over to join mum?' . What?! No way... America... 'You think about it. It's not going to work out.'

'How do you know?' You weren't shouting back at him anymore, after you were reminded, after it being completely off your mind for ages, that you weren't staying there permanently.

'I know much more than you. I'll have your phone for now. And I'll be changing your passcode.' You froze. 'You won't be going out, since you wouldn't know it either. I'll only give it to Jinhye, then she'll go to school with you and bring you back.'

This doesn't even make sense. 'Oppa...'

'I'll think about how the passcode thing works when I get back. I'll check on you everyday.' N headed to the door, and you quickly stood up to grab onto him.

'Oppa this isn't right. It's- You can't-'

'Just stay at home. Until I figure out how to deal with you.'

'Hakyeon oppa! You can't do this!' You shouted, but N simply closed your bedroom door behind him, leaving you in your room, distraught.  

 

 

 

How did things even get to this? He was about to leave, until he caught sight of random post its around the place, small stacks of it on the counter and coffee table, while a few was stuck onto the cabinets and fridge. Firstly, the handwriting was familiar, and secondly, he was certain that it wasn't your handwriting. 

He looked at the one on the cabinet above the sink in the kitchen. 

Don’t eat too much junk food. And try to have proper meals instead of snacking away.

It wasn't you who wrote it. But he couldn’t figure out who it was either. The name just couldn't get to him at that point of time. 

He read another on the fridge. 

Don’t drink too much coffee in a day either. I’m not taking it even if you say it helps you to sleep.

And the one on another cabinet. 

If the food runs out, remember to buy more. Just think of it as a trip to the mart to get drinks, and then you can conveniently stock up on food. Don't be lazy.

Taekwoon?

He looked at the small stack of similar post its next to the fridge, and flipped through it. It all had similar content, reminding you to eat proper, not snack too much, and drink more plain water.

Why aren’t any of this signed off?

N started searching for more, and found another small stackon the corner of the coffee table in the living room. He immediately flipped through it, going straight to the bottommost, and oldest post it.

Call Jinhye or Miyoung to accompany you if you get bored. And if they’re not free, check with Minhyuk.

-Taekwoon

He stared at the name for a good few seconds. Taekwoon. Taekwoon. It IS Taekwoon. 

And there was also one smacked right in the middle of the television screen. 

Have you done your homework yet? Don’t leave it for the last minute. 

N stared at all the post its, and at your closed room door. No, I can't give in. 

'Yeonie, I'll go first.' Without waiting for, or expecting a response, he left,

with rice in the cooker, and a few of your favorite side dishes placed neatly on the table. 

 

 

 

The post its kept flashing back in his mind, and he could not stop thinking about the both of you. He knew, the best, that Leo is really caring and kind, despite his cold image which says otherwise. And having lived with him for years, and being his friend, it was safe to say that N knew every little bit of Leo, his likes and dislikes, and habits. 

He thought back to the first time you had a relapse when you were with him and Ravi, and then how Leo took great care of you in the other Ken-triggered relapse. Not to forget the fact that he had found it extremely weird that Leo could approach you without worsening the situation back then. He knew, that Leo was protective, even towards the members, and would be for you too. 

And then back to the post it notes. Every small detail, your meals, your studies, your bad habits, your wellbeing, Leo paid attention to it. And now that N assumed that every time Leo was missing, that he was at your place, he really did put in everything for you.

The infuriating thing was that nobody told him anything at all. And when he saw Leo with you. He was too shocked. Especially in the situation which he found the both of you in.

To think about it, he was thankful that is was Leo. But, he did not like the fact that the person you like was an idol, one who has too many responsibilities, and will not have much time for you. And he wanted someone that can really put you before anything, to be with you. 

 


 

[A/N] I feel like it has been forever since the last time OTL. Wheetwheet this was a long chapter. (And yes I managed to update this *sprays confetti*

Thank you so much, as usual, for the number of comments and subscribers, and I hope that I didn't disappoint with this chapter! (Especially, thank you for the wishes for my upcoming papers xD <3)

Now, let me talk a little about how my time to update this came about. (You can skip this if you want since I'm just being really naggy) So, technically, (yes, technically) I was supposed to have three common tests this week, (Tues-Physics, Thurs-History, Fri-Econs), which I was honestly extremely geared up to mug for, BUT, at the same time, two days ago, in the evening, it was announced that the econs test is postponed to next week, on Tues (where there is Chem common test, yes on the same day), and there's End of Year examinations first paper on Fri (Next week too) (yepp), so, two common tests next week, and one EOY paper. AND, they decided to change our History test to a graded assignment which will be given out next Mon, and due on Tues (yes Tues). So all of a sudden, my this week  yesterday and today was pretty empty (since I didn't want to start with revision and am gonna die on Saturday), hence I had time to update this. (Well I'mm partially done with my other fic but, yeah. Partially.)

On a side note, VIXX LR. I DIEDED. (No, I'm still here. I revived.) BUT EMG. MY FEELS. Okay, I should calm down. Breathes. Hip hip hooray for me getting another friend of mine into VIXX xD (Fourth already) I'm really crazy these days oops. It's kinda a good thing and a bad thing at the same time for such great news (LIKE SUBUNIT EMG) to happen when my eoys are like, here. 

Don't forget to comment and subscribe!

Thank you! 

<3