Chapter 39

This Is Then Counted

'Minhyuk saw how your expression stiffened and he could infer that the 'piano school' which you were referring to probably wasn't in Korea. 

'Minyeon-ah, are you okay?' He finally asked, when you were staring blankly into space after you hung up. 'Minyeon?' 

'Y-Yeah.' America? In one month's time? How long am I staying there for? It's definitely not going to be for a few months only... 

What made it worst was that you could not help but to feel that the cards were like farewell letters. And the picture that you took with them that morning.

Was that why Hakyeon oppa was speaking weirdly just now? Since when did he know? 

But a month. That's- Umma probably gave a rough date right? I'll maybe get a month and a half more? Or two months? 

'It'll be fine Minyeon-ah.' 

'Can I not go?' 

'Yah, Cha Minyeon.' 

'I'm sure there's good piano schools here too right?' You felt Minhyuk's hands on your shoulder as he turned you to face him. 

'Wasn't it already said that you would only be staying here temporarily from the start?'

'But I would be alone if I go over. You're not there, Hakyeon oppa, Jinhye, Miyoung, the members... Taekwoon oppa.' 

'Your parents are there too.'

'They don't go to school with me.' 

'If you stay, are any of us going to the same school as you then?' But- 'And it's the one that you wanted to go isn't it? And you've already got accepted, and even a scholarship. Do you really want to let this chance go by?' 

'That’s true but- How did you know which school and that I've been accepted. And even the scholarship?' 

. 'That's not the main-'

'How? And since when?' 

'Hakyeon. Yesterday night.' 

'D-Does Taekwoon oppa know too?' 

'Not yet. You're not staying 'cos of him right?' You kept quiet as you avoided his eyes. 'You're going to America. It's a good opportunity. Are you listening?' You did not respond but he went on. 'A prestigious school, you got accepted, and there's a scholarship. You have your parents with you, your phobia is gone, Hakyeon might be going on tour soon. And Taekwoon is not going to be happy if you're giving it up for him.' 

'It's not entirely because of Taekwoon oppa...' 

'Okay. Calm down and think about it first. Then you'll let Taekwoon know.' You noticed how Minhyuk emphasized on 'will'. 

'Must I tell him today?' 

'I don't think you'll be able to fool him. He'll be able to tell that something's wrong with you immediately when he sees you.' 

'What's wrong with me? It's not like I cried or anything...' You mumbled as you rubbed your eyes. 

'No matter what you do. It's going to be weird. Who looks like that on her birthday?' 

'Looks like what?'

'Like your soul is out of your body.' 

'Can I just tell Taekwoon oppa that I'm not feeling well so he shouldn't come over?' 

'Wouldn't that make him want to come over even more?' 

'Like, he can't come over, or else he'll fall sick and that can't happen when he's still having his promotions.' 

‘Yeah right. I don’t think that will keep him away.’

‘What time is he coming at?’

‘I’m not telling you.’ He’s being evil. Everyone’s being evil to me. Even when it’s my birthday today. You felt yourself getting pulled into a hug as he patted your head gently. ‘Do you want to have a nap first?’ 

‘I don’t want to.’

‘Go take a nap.’

 

 

 

What did that dude do again? Leo went into your room as he heard the main door click shut. 'We'll have to trouble you again.' And with a pat on his back, he was gone. What was that even supposed to mean? 

‘Min-ah?’ He smiled slightly when you didn't even stir. But it did not take long for him to notice the trail of tears on your cheek. Did something happen? 'Minyeon-ah?' 

'Hmm?' You mumbled as you pulled the blanket over your head, which was tugged down within a second. 

'Do you want to sleep more?' You felt the side of your bed dip downwards as Leo leaned in to brush your hair to the side. 

'I'm okayyy.' Leo watched as you covered your eyes with your arm. 

'Minyeon? Did something happen?' He saw your hand jerked a little in surprise. 

'No.' And you slowly sat up, not looking at him in the eye. That took him fast. Was it that obvious? / Does she not want to tell me? 'Taekwoon oppa.' 

'Hmm?' But all you did was edge closer to him and hugged tightly onto him, with your face buried in his chest. 

'I missed you.' There's definitely something wrong. But he did not want to force it out of you. 

'We just saw each other this morning.' He chuckled, patting the back of your head lightly. 'But I'm pretty sure I missed you even more.' He felt your arm jerk a little again. Was it something I said? 

'Not true.' 

'Very true.' He looked down at you who still refused to look at him. 'How about you go wash up and change into something warmer and we'll go? There isn't much time left 'till the end of today birthday girl.' 

You were made to look at him as he sandwiched your face with his hands. 'Hmm?' 

'Okay.' You saw his glistening eyes as he smiled, leaning down to give you a slight peck on the tip of your nose, before retreating out of the room. 

There isn't much time left for everything... 

 

 

 

'Where did oppa get the car from?' 

'I borrowed it from my noona.' You nodded slightly as you tugged onto the seatbelt. 

'Min-ah, you can sleep if you want to, it'll be quite a long drive.' 

'Where are we going?' Leo saw you leaning forward to look at the GPS, but he made sure to switched it off before that. 'Meanie.' 

'You should sleep.' 

'How can I sleep when you're driving?' 

You looked at Leo as he abruptly leaned over to your seat and adjusted your coat, before looking into your eyes. 'It's okay, you can sleep.' Or else I wouldn't be able to keep it as a surprise since you'll know where we're going because you're unnecessarily good with directions. 

'But I just woke up from a nap.' Despite saying that, you were soon dozing off within minutes.

 

 

'Min-ah, we're here.' You felt someone shaking you by your shoulders gently and finally stirred awake. 

But once you had your eyes open, all you could see was darkness again. 'Oppa what are you doing?' You quickly waved your hands before you, which he quickly held onto with his other free hand. 

'It's me. Don't worry. But don't open your eyes.' 

'H-Huh?' 

'I'll help you out of the car, but don't open your eyes.' 

You quietly followed, clinging onto his elbows once you got off, as he had his hands over your eyes again. 'T-Taekwoon oppa.'

'It's okay, it's just a short distance hmm?' Leo could feel you trembling slightly as he saw you bit your lower lip. Maybe this isn't a good idea. 

'O-Okay.' 

'Wait a second.' You immediately stopped moving, not that it was much of a difference since you were already walking real slowly before that. And you felt him snuggle against your neck gently, and calmed down a little when you inhaled his scent. 'You alright?' 

'Y-Yeah.' 

After a few turns, and small steps to step over, you were pulled to a halt. 'We're here.' He said softly into your ear as he removed his hands from your eyes. But all you could see was darkness, again, until a lighted cake was seen held by someone, getting more clearer as it moved closer to you.

'1, 2, 3!' 

And the next thing which happened made your legs lose its energy. 'Happy birthday to you,' The kids sang. 

'Happy birthday to you,' 

'Happy birthday to Miyeon unnie/noona!'

'Happy birthday to you!' You heard Leo as he bent down next to you, him tightening his grip on your hand as the cake was now brought to before you. 

The moment you blew out the candles, the light , and you saw them in cute little party hats as they clapped and cheered. There were small drawings and paper streamers pasted on the walls as they sat in their chairs smiling widely back at you.

And what made your tears form was Leo's laughter right next to you. 

'Min-ah?' He was taken aback when he saw your tears roll down your cheek. 

'T-Thank you.' You squeezed his hand slightly, before quickly wiping off your tears. 

'Time to cut the cake!' Inyoung exclaimed as she handed you the plastic knife, winking at you. And she didn't even tell me a single thing about this! 

The kids quickly lined up in a file neatly before you without being asked, while Leo helped with the cutting of the rest of the cake. 

And once it was Jaeyoung's turn, he refused to go back to his seat as he settled with standing next to you, after prying off Leo's grip on your hand. 

 

Leo was soon separated from you as he accompanied the other kids, seeing that Jaeyoung was pulling you away whenever he was close. Which wasn't exactly a bad thing for you, since you couldn't guarantee that your tears wouldn't flow out if he was right next to you. 

It was already overwhelming enough that he planned this for you. In the middle of his promotions. Where he didn't even have enough time to sleep. And you felt your tears threatening to fall again. 

'Noona.' You felt a soft tug onto your hand. 'Why do you look sad on your birthday?' 

'I do?' 

'Did that hyung hurt noona?' 

'N-No he didn't.' You bent down to meet his eye level as you patted his head. 'Noona's just a little bit more tired than usual. It's not hyung's fault.' 

'Okay.' He continued munching on his cake. 

'And Jaeyoungie, it's not that hyung, he's Taekwoon hyung.' 

'Mm.'

Just when all the kids were about done with their cake, Inyoung made an announcement again as you eyed her weirdly. 'The surprise isn't over yet right?' 

'Yepp!' And on cue, the entire room were filled with their giggles. Wait what- You immediately turned to Leo, and saw him nodding his head in another direction instead. 

'Minyeon unnie, Happy Birthday!' And saw Nari hugging onto a light brown teddy bear which was nearly as big as her. 

Wh- What? 'Unnie are you not going to take it?' She beamed, eyes forming a straight line as she held it out towards you, with a little difficulty due the size of the bear. 

'Y-Yea- Of course I am. T-Thank you so much.' You placed the bear down and hugged tightly onto Nari, and you gave up trying to hold your tears back. 

'We all chipped in a few cents each. And oppa paid for the rest.' Her cheerful voice added next your ear, as the other kids joined in for a big group hug. 

 

 

'Oppa brought me out to pick unnie's teddy.' Nari said as she held tightly onto your hand as she walked you out with Inyoung. 

'Taekwoon oppa did?' 

'Mmhmm.' 

'When?' 

'Last week. Oppa bought yummy food for me too.' 

'Really? That's great. I'll see you soon okay?'

'With oppa?'

'Of course.'

 

 

 

Do I really have to go? Can't I just stay here with them? ... But Taekwoon oppa will get mad if I'm staying. And if he found out later by someone else, it'll be even worse... I don't even know anymore... 

You flinched slightly when you felt someone's hand on yours and turned to look at Leo who had his eyes stuck to the front, and his other hand on the steering wheel. What do I do? 

'We'll be reaching soon.' He said as he gently squeezed your hand.

'Mm.' 

You did not fall asleep this time round, your eyes staring out of the windows the entire time. It was a silent ride, and Leo was certain that something bad happened. 

I-I don't want him to hear it from someone else again. 

 

 

You were eyeing him weirdly as he took out a backpack from the backseat of the car and slung it on, before holding your hand in his. What's that for? 

The fact that you were at Han River did not make it any easier for you to control your emotions. 

You blindly followed Leo as he walked on, until he settled with a quiet spot on the grass patch by the river, and laid out a picnic mat, with drinks and snacks and a blanket, all from the backpack. 

'You remember the first time we were here right?' He asked, playing with your hand mindlessly over the blanket that you were sharing. 

'You were evil.' Leo chuckled softly as he ruffled your hair. 

'And my little bear confessed that day. With swollen eyes while cursing my existence.' 

You kept quiet, knowing that if you said anything, your voice will definitely break by then. And it would be harder to keep it from him. 

'Did you know, that I couldn't stop thinking about you after the very first time we met downstairs? And then when I first saw your messages in Hakyeon's phone, I was so relieved when I saw the word 'umma'.' 

He turned to you, but you looked down at your hands instead. 

'I'm sorry Min-ah,' 

'W-Why?' 

'That ever since that day, I haven't actually been able to bring you on out dates that often. Hakyeon was right, that I didn't have time, and I couldn't even take care of you properly when I said that I will.' 

'Stop it.' You mumbled softly. It isn't even his fault... Why is he apologizing? I should be the one apologizing! 

'I'll do better now, okay?' He smiled as he pulled you closer, but he could see that whatever that was bothering you just now, was worsening at that moment. I didn't even do anything for him- And he did so much, coming over when his schedules ended at dawn just to check on me- yet he- he's saying such things... What did I do to deserve him... 

Turning you to face him, you finally looked up at him, with tears b in your eyes again. 

'Look at you, swollen eyes again. Are you trying to battle out looks with a panda?' He was relieved when he saw a slight smile on your face. 

'Taek-'

'I'm sorry I took so long to ask you this. My head was in a mess back then with the noise by the two kids.' 

You looked down to your wrist as he slipped on a leather bracelet to your wrist, and you noticed a similar one on his too. 'Minyeon-ah, will you be my girlfriend?' 

Leo was startled when he saw your tears dripping down as you tried to untie the bracelet from your wrist, and he quickly grabbed onto your hand to stop you. 

'I-I can't.' 

'Min-ah what's wrong?' 

You were already sobbing as his hand did not move away from yours on the bracelet, while he pulled you into a hug with his other hand. 

'It's okay hmm? I'm here... Don't worry...' 

'O-Oppa... T-Taekwoon oppa...' 

Leo felt your sniffing become softer and continued to pat your back lightly. 'Do you want to talk about it?' But there was no response as you held onto his shirt tightly. 'Tomorrow?' There was a few sniffs, before he felt you nodding your head against his chest. 'Do you want to go home?' And you nodded again. 

I ruined it again. I always seem to ruin everything. It's either my injuries or my phobia or I'll just be crying. 

Leo thought back to when your hand started tugging at the bracelet. Did Hakyeon say something? It's definitely not something small. To have affected her this much. And on her birthday. 

 

The trip back was a quiet one too, as the both of you chose to kept quiet. It was driving you crazy, that Leo hasn't been saying a single thing, even when you were already brought up to the door of your house, with the passcode keyed in, and the door opened. 

'Taekwoon oppa,' You tugged onto his hands lightly and finally looked into his eyes for, the first time that night. 'Can you stay over tonight with me?' 

 

 

Not long after tucking into bed, you heard your watch beeping twice, signalling that it was 12 already, also an end to your birthday. 

'Taekwoon oppa.' 

'Hmm?' 

'Umma called yesterday.' It took him awhile to figure out that you meant on your birthday. 

'Mmhmm.' You felt his chin rubbing against the top of your head. 

'I don't want to go.' Leo shifted slightly as he pulled you closer to him, finally understanding where you were heading. It was finally here, the day he dreaded. No wonder she was being extremely out of sorts. 

'What about school?' 

'I really don't want to go.' There's something about the school. She's not merely going over for her parents to look after her. 

'She said, that they applied for a piano school for me, and I got accepted... With scholarship...' You heard a hitch in Leo's breathe and stiffened. 

Well, it can't possibly be that soon, right? 'When?' 

'I'm not going.' 

'Yes you are.' You bit onto your lips as you hid your face from his view. I knew it. 

'I don't want to go.' 

'You have to. I don't want you to go either but you have to. And it's what you want to pursue isn't it?' I shouldn't have told him. I could have just kept quiet. Why did I even- 'So I want you to go.' 

'Taekwoon oppa-' 

'You know I'll get angry if you stay. Especially if it's for me.' 

And there was silence. 'So, when?' 

'It's just an estimated timing, I'm pretty sure it would be later than what she actually said. It wouldn't be that accurate...' And Leo knew that it was something that you were trying to keep from him again, seeing that you were babbling off. 

'When is it, Min-ah?' 

'A month.' 

It just had to be a month. 'That's good, you should have more than enough time to pack.' 

He felt you shaking slightly and knew that your mind was probably wandering off again. 'Oppa what do you mean-' 

'We'll talk about it later okay? You must be tired.' You were pulled even closer to him as your face met his shirt. Even if you were to say anything, it would have been muffled by the material. 

After a few moments, he spoke again, this time softer and gentler. 'It'll be fine. It's better this way, you get to do what you like. It might get harder for you if you stayed here anyways, especially when our tours are going to start. Take it as an overseas excursion hmm? I'll still be able to see you when we have concerts there, and due to the time difference, by the time I end my schedules here, we'll also be able to call each other? ... I don't want you to give up such a good opportunity for me. And since if you were to stay, I'll be away often too, so use your time to do something worthwhile okay? It might be a little hard for the both of us but we'll be able to overcome it don't you think? And it's not forever right? You'll be back before you know it.' 

'But I'll miss you a lot.' You said, to the best of your abilities with the his shirt obstructing you. 

'I'll miss you even more.' 

'Not true.' 

'True.' 

'Oppa.' 

'Okay fine. You win.' 

Just when you were finally calmed down, and thought that it was an end to the conversation, Leo started again. 

'That bear which we got for you, hug it when you need company okay? It was the comfiest one. ... But don't hug it when I'm around. I'll get jealous.' 

You finally look up at him with a smile as you pulled away from him slightly. 

'I'm going to name it Taekie. Little Taekie.' The disgusted look on his face made you smile even more. 

'What. No.' 

'Little Taekieee.' 

'Minyeon.' 

'Taekwoon oppa.' 

'Yeah.' 

'I got a new bear today and it's called little Taekie!' 

'Aren't you sleepy?' 

'I wonder what will happen when Woonie oppa gets jealous of little Taekie.' Leo laughed when he saw you yawning after that statement. 

'We'll see about it later. Now go to sleep.'

 


 

[A/N] I'm going to start to miss updating this fic when it's completed aghhhh. 

Thank you so much my readers for all the comments and subscribes (200+!) and even upvotes!! <3 

And sorry to keep you guys waiting! 

Thank youuu!

<3