Chapter 4

This Is Then Counted

You stared at the clock as you impatiently started to poke on your paper again. You could feel the two guys beside you glancing at you but you concentrated on the clock, ignoring even though you knew that the people around you were most probably getting annoyed by the sound you were making. Don't look, you have a mission to accomplish now. Don't get wavered by their looks. 

RINGGGGG

'I'm really sorry oppa, I’ll go first.' You bowed to Ken and Leo, and without looking up at them at all, quickly rushed out of the room as soon as the last bell of the day rang.

'Wait!' Ken shouted across the room but you were already gone. 'What now hyung? Hakyeon hyung said that we have to stop her from running away by all means!'

 

You were pulled back as someone grabbed onto you before you could even make it far away from the door, and turned around to find Ravi holding onto your right elbow. Of all places. Are they like guards or something. 'Minyeon, where are you going?' 

'Uh- I..' The pain started creeping out as Ravi did not loosen his grip. 'Uh-' Crap. ‘Oppa, can you let go of my elbow first please? I won't go anywhere but can y-'

Just as you tried to remove his hand from your elbow, another hand appeared on Ravi's wrist. 'Let go.' 

'But hyu-' 

'She said she won't go. Let go.' You nearly shuddered at the tone of Leo's voice and looked up to see him glaring at Ravi. Ravi immediately let go of you as he looked at Leo. 

'It's okay Taekwoon oppa, see?' You moved your elbow slightly to show him that it didn't affect that much, seeing that you could still move it easily, and turned to Ravi. 'I'm sorry oppa, I kind of just injured my right elbow so yeah.' You dropped your hand to your side as you shook it gently to loosen the tensions in the muscles. 

'Oh, I'm really sorry, I didn't know. Are you okay? Did I hurt you?'

'Nope. I'm fine.' You smiled back at Ravi. Maybe I should have left the bandage on to remind both myself and others that I'm injured. Or then again, maybe not. 

'By the way, it's Wonshik, or Ravi. Either one will do. You can take your time, Minyeon-ie.' Ravi patted your head. 

'Oh, I'm sorry Wonshik oppa.' You lowered your head in embarrassment as he smiled back at you. If you keep this forgetting of names thing on I'm going to slaughter you Cha Minyeon. 

'Hello my dearest Yeon-ah, sorry to keep you waiting!' Leo glared at N as he wrapped his arms around your shoulder.

I can't even talk to her with all these people around. Leo looked on as the guys crowded around you. Wait, talk to her? Yes, okay, just to check on her elbow, that's all. 

You tried to pry N's arms off your shoulder but to no avail as he walked you out of the school. 'Yaou know, we are busy people so stop trying to cause more trouble. By the way, thanks Wonshik-ah! Hopefully she didn't bite you or anything.'

You quickly turned to Ravi and saw the guys looking at you, it was obvious that they were quite amused by what N said. Screw this. 'Oppa, I don't bite people.'

'Yeah right, so what was that you did to me the last time?'

'Where am I going?' You ignored his question and asked as you came to a stop in front of a black van. 

'You are coming with us, to the dorm.' 

'What? No, oppa. I have a home to return to, and I can take the bus home, it's not convenient for you guys. So I shall get going-' You gradually tried to separate yourself from N but ended up being pulled back within seconds. 

'Your house is just next to the dorm, who are you kidding.' N's tone was getting stricter and the guys were also getting tensed up as they watch the both of you.

'But I don't think there's enough s-'

'There's one extra seat, and since you're small, you can fit easily, you don't have to worry about that.' Ken said, before N could start raging at his sister.

You looked at N and at the guys, worried that you would be a disturbance to them, and about them being guys in general. 'We're okay with it, how about you?' Ravi asked you. 

Hakyeon oppa's gonna kill me if I don't. And he's near the edge. After all the running away I did. 'Okay, thank you oppa.' You bowed at the guys. 

'No problem, so do you want to sit at the back or?'

You looked at Ken. Me taking the squeezy back seat will be better right? 'The back will do Jaehwan oppa.' Back? Why would she want to sit in the back? Wouldn't she be more comfortable with me and Jaehwan? She doesn't even know Hyuk and Hongbin. Leo stared at you. Why, why do I even care? 

'So Wonshik you sit in the middle with me and Taekwoon hyung, the rest at the back. Okay?' You looked at N as Ken gave the instructions to the younger ones. 

'Oppa, but-' You whispered to N.

'You can use this chance to get used to guys.' You frowned at him and then you saw his eyes soften. 'Okay, fine, you're better with Leo and Ken right?' Huh? You looked at him as you blinked. What do they have to do with this? 'Wait, let her sit in the middle with Jaehwan and Taekwoon, it'll be easier for her since she has a problem with guys.'

‘Are we not guys then?’ Ken nudged you and the maknae line laughed.

‘Well, glad to hear that she sees us as guys.’ Hyuk commented but no one took much notice on what he actually meant.

‘Kids, get on already.’ N held the door open as he looked at the members.

'Okay, hyung.' The guys replied and they boarded the van. As you waited for the younger ones to get to the back first, Ravi whispered to you, patting your head as he boarded the van. ‘Minyeon, don't worry. We're not bad people.' 

 

You awkwardly sat between Ken and Leo as you hugged onto your bag. You gave up staring at the headrest of the front seat in which N was sitting on and was soon staring at your hands. Trying to visualize a revenge on him for making you board the van did not work out and you soon got even more annoyed.

 

'So...' Ken's one word broke the silence in the van. 'Tell us about you Minyeonie.'

You looked up at him and then back at N who has now turned his head around to face the back. Help.

N clasped both of his hands together. 'Okay. Where do I start?' Just look at him being so happy about this. 'Her birthday is on 10th October, she generally doesn't talk much-'

'Sounds like Taekwoon hyung.' You saw Leo turn back to glare at Hongbin who retreated slightly into his seat. 'Hehehe.'

'Yah! Don't interrupt me. Oh so where was I. Not talking much applies to everyone, regardless of gender. We'll get to the gender problem in a while.' This totally sounds like a documentary. Or a crash course on a historical figure. 'But when she does talk, it's kind of dangerous. Let's see, the only time she talks a lot is, never mind, we'll skip that part. So-

'When?' Leo was shocked at himself after he asked that question. But everyone else did not realize that the question was from him. 

'Huh? Oh. When I'm being...'

'A jerk.' You softly intercepted while N was finding a proper word to describe himself, and the two guys beside you who heard it were soon looking at you instead of N. 

'Well, she's kind of, erm, her language use is sometimes inappropriate. Just to let you know. So, let me continue, she's sensitive with height related topics. She hates dogs and cats, sometimes she'll even cry.' That's totally not nice information. You glared at N. 'She doesn't like anyone pulling her hair or messing it up and uh-'

'Like this?' You immediately felt a jerk on your ponytail and turned around to shout at the person by reflex.

'Hey!' You saw Hyuk looking back at you and realized that you just shouted at him. 'I'm really sorry for shouting, I didn't do it on purpose I'm really sorry oppa.' Your voice immediately soften again. 

'Yeah, our Hyukie continue that and she won't apologize anymore next time.'

'I'm sorry Minyeon. I won't do that again.' Hyuk smiled cheekily at you as he rubbed the back of his neck and you naturally smiled back. 

You adjusted your ponytail into place and faced the front again. Meanwhile, two people kept thinking about you. I never did anything bad to her yet she never smiled like that to me. 

'Yah, what are you doing. Stop smiling like a jerk.' Hyuk snapped out of it and looked at Hongbin. 

'O-okay hyung.' And he should stop smiling like that. 

'Guys,' And all the attention was back at N. 'Let me continue.' Why is he getting so enthusiastic about this. 'Last lesson on how to survive around Minyeon,' He actually refers to it as a lesson now. 'She has a phobia of guys.'

'Phobia?!?' Ken exclaimed and moved slightly nearer to the car's door away from you. 

'You're not helping, Jaehwan hyung.' You recognized that voice as Ravi's. 

You were beginning to get accustomed to them, but that one word from Ken sent you back into your cage. Your hands started to tremble slightly unconsciously and you hugged your bag closer to you to hide them. 

'He's just joking. He's always like that, don't take it to heart.' You felt something warm holding onto your trembling hands and looked up at the person beside you. Leo then realized what he has done upon you looking at him, shocking himself for the second time within mere minutes. 

'It's not actually a phobia, but let's just called it a phobia-' Leo nodded in N's direction as he did not let go of your hand. 

'It's not a phobia.' You stated as you stared at N. Why is he being such a jerk today. N was aware of what he was doing and he looked straight back at you. Come on, talkkk. 'I'm not used to guys, so I just generally avoid them. It's not a phobia. It's not.' You felt a need to redeem yourself after the misleading introduction N made, and since you started talking, you continued, softly. 'I talk when I feel like it. And even though it is true that I talk a lot when Hakyeon oppa is being a jerk, it is not the only time I talk a lot.' You felt something heavy on the back of your seat but ignored it.

'Like now?' Hongbin asked.

'Now's a result of Hakyeon oppa being a jerk. So it's still under the jerk category.' 

'Her language is awesome.' Ravi laughed and you turned around. You flinched when you saw his face right next to you. 'Sorry, we couldn't hear you from the back.' 

'Yeon-ah, stop saying 'jerk'.' Your attention was soon back at N but you ignored him.

'My language isn't inappropriate. There’s just a slight amount of vulgar.’ And even more in my head. But you kept that to yourself. ‘I don't hate cats and dogs, I'm just scared of them. And I don't always cry 'cos of it. Erm, the rest which Hakyeon oppa said is accurate I guess.'

'That just leaves us with your birthday though.' Ken stated. 

'And the height and the hair.' You nodded at Hyuk's comment.

‘Any of you who does anything which she doesn’t like will have to watch out though. Hyukie you’re one down. Her hair is a no-no.’ N warned the guys. Mental note: Hair puller = Hyuk. Okay, one more name to remember. Handsome guy = Hongbin.

‘Wonshik oppa and Jaehwan oppa are down too.’ You said.

‘What?! What did I do?!?’ Ken exclaimed and he was being too loud for his own good.

‘I don’t think you have to ask that question Ken hyung.’ Hongbin coughed as they remebered his reaction to your 'phobia'.

‘Oh, mine’s ‘cos of the hair too right Minyeon-ie?’ You nodded at Ravi’s question.

‘And Jaehwanie called her ‘small’ before we boarded the van.’ You nodded again. Your brother knew you too well, and you have yet to come to a conclusion on whether it's a good or bad thing. 

‘Use ‘small’ is you really need to. But don’t use ‘short’.’ You shuddered as you said the word yourself. It was very unpleasant to be of a below average height.

‘Then Taekwoon hyung is down too!’ Hyuk suddenly exclaimed.

‘Don’t joke around, how can Leo hyung possibly offend Minyeonie without saying anything.’ You started thinking hard at Hyuk and Ken’s statements.

‘Leo hyung said that there wasn’t much animals when there’s actually quite a few around. Isn’t that counted? He lied!’

‘Hyuk-ah you do know that you’re not making sense right.’ Hongbin elbowed Hyuk in the back seat.

‘That day the call which I answered with Ken hyung was also you right Minyeonie?’ You looked at Hyuk while you thought of the person whom N asked about the animals the first time you called. That was Taekwoon oppa too? You looked at Taekwoon as he avoided your line of view and glanced out of the window.

‘Hyuk-ah, if that was really Minyeon, I think you just made one more strike for yourself and Ken-hyung.’

‘Yeah, that was Minyeon. Kong, you’re getting a hang of this. Oh, and you're the only one left without any strikes then. You know Leo, it must have been little animals to him. It’s not his fault. And yeah she gets annoyed by people who answers phones who don’t belong to them.’ You thought back to the day Leo answered the phone. Then it will be two more strikes for Taekwoon oppa too. For the animals and the phone. You smiled to yourself. But he recovered it with saving me and Hakyeon oppa’s timetable. You bit on your lip unknowingly as you thought of occasions in which he might have gotten more strikes for himself. Now he doesn’t have any strikes. You pouted at that thought.

Leo look at you as your smile turn into a somewhat frown. Is she annoyed at me too because of the phone that day?

'Oh, I forgot the most important part, she's here 'cos our parents are overseas for work so I have to look after her temporarily.'

'Temporarily?' Stop it Jung Taekwoon, you're not being yourself. 

'I may be going over to America when things over there are stable.' You stated, unsure of it yourself.

‘Oh…’ The guys answered and the atmosphere went silent again. She may be leaving?

'Why don't you check out our group though? Not even once?' Ken asked another question to change the topic.

'Because. Hakyeon oppa is annoying.'

'I think I'm starting to like you.' Everyone turned to Hyuk. Leo froze. 'I mean her answer. It's brilliant.'

'Yah, don't you guys dare think of doing anything to her or you'll die in my hands.' And there goes N doing his neck chopping action again.

At that, you remembered that Leo was still holding onto your hand and looked at him. 'Taekwoon oppa, I don't think anyone wants you to die so soon. Hehe.' You looked at your hands and back at him. 'Thank you. I'm okay now.'

'Okay.' Leo looked at you smiling at him and smiled back as he released your hand. He shifted his attention out of the window again as he thought of the entire moment spent holding onto your hand.

 


 

[A/N] This entire chapter was just like the trip back to the dorm (omg I dragged the content sooo much, I’m really sorry) (I was being really naggy this entire chapter >< I’ll try to stop that and make more things happen instead of getting carried away with dialogues (which I tend to do a lot) oops) I’m sorry for the late update too (partly cos of me going about chanting ‘plotplotplot’ the entire day and then procrastinating afterwards) but the next chapter shouldn’t take that long to update since my cca sessions for the holidays are officially over. Really really sorry for being a really lacking (and weird) author and the lacking chapter.


Hope that this chapter was still manageable and readable and not that crappy. Comments (so that I know better on where to improve on hehe xD) (supportive comments will of course do as well xD) and Subscribe!


Thank you very much for the subscribers and comments so far ^^ 

Andand the way N lost the Naver StarCast - Ladder Game was the retardest possible way ever haha xD