L's Past (Part I)

The Monster That Steals Her Heart

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, fortunately for you, L came to school. Hearing this news from all of his ‘fans’, you darted off to the class but somehow L’s seat was vacant. You scratched your head with a questioning look. *I thought he came.* Turning on your heel, you turned around just to get bumped into someone’s chest.

 

“Oof!” In a split second, your flatly landed onto the cold and hard wooden floor. *Ouch.* You mentally flinched. “Oh. Sorry, ~~~~~.” A well-known voice asked. Surely, you knew who it was. *Myungsoo oppa.* Instead of looking up as you usually did, you already found L himself stooping down just to see your condition.

 

“Are you okay?” L asked like he always did. You didn’t reply but instead giving him a nod. He sighed, sounding as if he was a bit relieved. Something inside your head suddenly clicked. *Ask him where had he gone to these past few days.* A voice inside your head admonished. *Oh right.*

 

You stood up with L’s support, dusted your skirt, straightened up your blazer and looked at L straight in the eyes, “Oppa, we need to talk.” Anxious yet inquisitive, L chose to follow you. *I have a bad feeling about this.*

----------------------------------------------------------------------

The two of you stopped in the middle of the school garden. It was the best place for the two of you to talk privately since people rarely came here. You a huge amount of air before saying something. “L oppa,” You stared at him, “I know you’re hiding something from me. Please tell me the truth.” Taken aback, L stepped backwards but for someone that was busted, he looked calm like he didn’t have anything to hide.

 

“I’ll tell you everything.” He caved in.

 

“But first…I need to ask you something.” You cut him off before he could spill out the truth. “What is it?” He urged with a rather halcyon tone. “Have we met before?” You questioned with a serious look. Somehow it made L chuckle which made you raise a brow. “Of course we’ve met before. I moved he—” “No. I didn’t mean it like that. Have we met before in the past?” An impatient tone replaced your usual tone of voice. He paused for a spell before showing you his usual tender smile.

 

“So I guess you remembered already.”

 

You didn’t know why but you felt as if there was something being shot into your heart that it felt so…painful. You tried gulping down everything. This was the moment you’d know everything. The dark secret they’ve been keeping for a while. “How did we meet? Why were you there?” With a shaky voice, you blurted.

 

L looked at you before revealing the past.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

A 10 years old boy was walking along the path of their base. Looking at all of the older boys and even boys that were at the same age as his training themselves in order to be a successful vampire hunter, the boy sighed. He had never been able to train himself ever since he was picked by the head of the vampire hunter. He wondered why?

 

“I want to train and be strong just like them.” He sighed longingly, staring at the other boys working themselves out. “Hey Myungsoo!” A voice called out. The boy turned around only to be greeted with a big bear hug by his senior and also his friend, Sunggyu.

 

“Hi, hyung.” The boy patted his senior’s back. The 13 years old boy smiled warmly at him before showering him with a few questions, “Aren’t you going to train?” He nodded at the rest of the kids. Little Myungsoo slumped his shoulders dejectedly, “They told me that it isn’t the time for me to join you guys yet.” “Are you serious? Sungjong is already accepted. How come you don’t?” Sunggyu raised his eyebrow.

 

“Sungjong? I don’t know, hyung. It’s not fair.” The boy said, “Maybe they just don’t want me to become one of them. I’m weak and a wimp.” “Hey, that’s not true. You have the potential, Myungsoo!” Sunggyu convinced, attempting to lift up his spirit. “Thanks, hyung.” Myungsoo said with a bitter smile. Sunggyu beamed but the smile didn’t last long when all of a suddenl a deep voice called out Sunggyu’s name.

 

“Sunggyu! It’s your turn!”

 

Sunggyu looked at the leader of their team and turned back to face Myungsoo. Somehow, a hint of sadness and loneliness could be seen in Myungsoo’s eyes but he had to return back to the team no matter what. “Sorry, Myungsoo. I gotta go. I’ll see you later.” Sunggyu whispered in a somewhat sad tone. “It’s okay. I gotta go too so see you later, hyung.” L faintly smiled. Giving L a beam, Sunggyu ran back to his teammates.

 

L sighed and walked away, trying to ease his loneliness. Before he knew it, he was already standing in the middle of a forest. He looked around only to find big and old willow trees resting peacefully with the support from their roots to stand tall. *Where am I? Oh right. I walked away from the base. How am I supposed to go back?*

 

Betting on his own luck, he went to random paths until he found a house in the midst of the forest. It looked almost like a mansion. It was big but somehow felt cosy from the looks of it. Confused, L stared at the mansion-like house. *Why was it built here anyways? Weird.*

 

Just as he was about to leave, the main door of the house opened. Myungsoo curiously looked back and hid behind a tree when a little girl came out with a sunny grin plastered on her surprisingly pale face. Nevertheless, she looked beautiful. Myungsoo stared at her in awe. *So pretty.*

 

She waved at the inside of the house and after a few moments, a middle-aged man and woman came out. The girl then got lifted by the man while giggling happily. *That must be her parent.* Myungsoo guessed. Despite being a father, the man looked dashing and at the same time handsome. Same goes to the woman, drop dead gorgeous. Now he knew where that girl got those pretty features from.

 

Whenever that little girl smile or laugh, L’s heart would flutter and sometimes he could feel butterflies in his stomach. He didn’t know why but it looked like he had fallen for her just by looking at her smile. That made him wanted to protect that girl more. That day, for the very first time, Kim Myungsoo knew the meaning of love.

----------------------------------------------------------------------