Act 32

Marriage with a Handsome Man

Act 32 - Tell me it's a lie!

 

Victoria POV

Today was the grand party that mother has been telling me. It was father’s 30th business anniversary we were celebrating today. Nichkhun said on the phone last night that he was going to show up if everything was signed by last night. I hope he can make it. I miss him dearly.

“Something bothering you unni?” Sherleen asks me as I stood around the party room.

“Oh, nothing.” I smile.

“I know you were force to attend this party. I too don’t like coming here every year. It’s always the same thing. Mom is always trying to find me a guy; I so hate it.” Sherleen takes a drink from her drink.

I smile. Tomorrow I will be all set and on my way home to visit ma and pa. I simply cannot wait.

“Hello.” Someone greeted us.

Sherleen and I both turn our attention to her. My eyes widen.

“Unni!” Sherleen instantly hug her.

She chuckle, “How are you?”

“When did you return?” Sherleen asks impatiently.

“A month ago.” She smile.

“You didn’t tell me! Did umma know about your return?”

“I met her not long ago either.”

“How about Nichkhun? He knew?”

She didn’t have to speak because Sherleen knew.

“How could you! I’m mad at you unni!” Sherleen folded her arm.

“I want to surprise you today. You can’t stay mad at me right?” She pleaded.

Sherleen snicker a smile.

“Of course not. You’re my unni!” Sherleen hug her again.

After Sherleen back away, she introduce us to each other.

“Unni, this is my sister-in-law Victoria. Victoria, this is Solbi.”

“Hello.” We both greeted each other with a smile.

“Are you okay? I didn’t mean to bump you the other time.”

She smile, “I’m fine. It was partially my fault for not watching where I was going.”

“You both met before?” Sherleen ask surprisingly.

“Neh. I met her at father’s company.” I explain.

“Is that when you met Nichkhun?” Sherleen’s eye widen.

Solbi only smile. It took me a minute to register everything into my head. Is that why he was late to our appointment that night? He was probably with her. What is their relationship, I wonder?

“Oh you’ve met my daughter-in-law.” Mother walk over to us.

“Yes. She’s a beauty.” Solbi complimented.

“You’re too modest.” I answer back.

“Solbi here will be working with Nichkhun from now on. I hope you don’t mind, do you?” Mother asks in her scary voice.

“O-of course not. It’s just work.” Or so I hope it was.

“My son should be here anytime soon right?” she was looking at Solbi.

“That’s what Nichkhun say over the phone not long ago.” She answer.

What? Nichkhun called her and not me? I was feeling a little sad inside but didn’t want to show it. Whoever this lady is, I was sure she and I were not going to be friends in the near future. Right than, my phone ring.

“Excuse me.” I walk out into the lobby of the hotel to take the call. I was hoping it was Nichkhun who was calling but to my disappointment, it was Amber.

“Amber!” I answer the call with a happy voice. I haven’t heard from her in a long time. It’s so weird to have her call me out of nowhere.

“Victoria?” her soft voice asks.

“What’s with the unexpected call?” I joke.

“I have something to tell you and I don’t think you’ll like it either…”

“What are you saying?” I half smile, half frown.

“First I need you to calm down okay? Actually, I want you to sit down.”

“Okay. I’m seated.” I sat down on the stairs steps.

“Whatever I tell you, please don’t freak out okay? I want you to be strong okay?”

“Amber, what are you saying? I don’t understand you one bit.” I was starting to get scared from all these direction. I hope it wasn’t a bad news; no I pray it’s not.

“Y-your pa… he… he pass away… just two hours ago…” Amber finally choke out.

“Amber, you’re lying right? I just talk with Ma two days ago and she said pa was fine and resting at home. H-he can’t be dead. No, he’s not dead!” I stand up from the stairs, my hand clutching tightly onto the phone.

“Toria… It’s real. Your pa is dead…” Amber’s cries tells me it was all try.

My own tears leak from my eyes, dropping one by one. I slowly let go of the phone, my legs shaking uncontrollable.

“No… It can’t be… Pa isn’t dead…”

 

Nichkhun POV

As I promise Victoria, I made it in time. Luckily we had everything signed last night. I hop onto the earliest plane coming to Korea as soon as everything was settle. I wanted to see her and also didn’t want to miss the party. Dad would understand but mom will freak out.

I change into my white suit as soon as I landed in Korea. I rush to the hotel that the party was located. I hope Victoria isn’t too upset that I kept lying to her. It wasn’t a lie because it wasn’t my fault. Right when I enter the double door, I saw Victoria on the stair step but from the way she was looking, I knew something was wrong.

“Victoria!” I call her name.

I ran to her, catching her before she hit the stairs.

“Victoria! Can you hear me?! Wake up!” I pat her cheeks but she wouldn’t respond.

“Nichkhun!” Sherleen happily greeted me but instantly change into a loud gasp.

“I’m taking her to the hospital.”

“W-what happen to unni?”

“I don’t know.”

I carry Victoria into my arms as I rush back into my car. Sherleen stay back to tell mom and dad that I took Victoria to the hospital.

(End pov)

“Where’s Nichkhun? I heard you call his name.” Mom and Solbi came out.

“H-he took unni to the hospital.” Sherleen look as if she saw a ghost.

“What are you talking about? Wasn’t she fine a minute ago?”

“Unni fainted.”

“She was probably lying just so she can spend time with Nichkhun alone.” Mom grunt.

Solbi didn’t know what to say. She was looking forward to greet me tonight but with Victoria’s circumstances, it was not possible.

Sherleen along with Solbi and Mrs. Horvejkul went back into the party. Sherleen slowly sneak around her dad to tell him of the news.

“Is she okay?” Mr. Horvejkul asks.

“He hasn’t call yet.” Sherleen frown.

“Oh dear, that’s not good.”

“Nichkhun told me to tell you not to worry too much and to continue your party. He will tell us the detail later.”

“Poor child. She is probably exhausted.”

“Mom has been ordering her too much these past weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised if she fainted because of fatigue.” Sherleen grumble.

She didn’t like how her mom was always telling Victoria what to do and what not to do. What she hated the most was seeing Victoria do it without any complaints. Everyone would have complained a long time ago but Victoria didn’t, she simply abide Mrs. Horvejkul’s every order.

 

---------------------------------------------------------

^^