Act 30

Marriage with a Handsome Man

Act 30 - Kimchi is a killer!

 

Victoria POV

Weeks pass and ma always said pa was fine and resting at home, telling me to rest assure but I simply can’t. I have to see pa with my own eyes to be at ease. The night Nichkhun forgot our dinner plan; I didn’t argue with him or got angry at him. I just simply forgot about it because I was just so stressed out about pa’s health. I know ma is hiding something from me, something she doesn’t want me to know.

Junki has been a great help with my drawings. Sometimes we stayed a little after work to discuss about my drawings more. I’ve improved more than I have all because of his help. Somehow, we both became close friends, almost like siblings. I was glad to know him.

Nichkhun was busy with work and traveling to other countries here and there so we rarely have time to see each other. He calls every night to see how I was doing but other than that, it was just me. Mother in law took this advantage to force me to do things. Even though I wanted to detest against her, I decided to keep it in. She said if I did a good enough job, she will allow me to return home to visit pa.

I was finally accepted as a permanent staff, something I was excited about. My co-workers threw me a semi small party – restaurant and karaoke singing. I didn’t do much singing; just stand in the background with Junki while we watch everyone else sing their heart out.

“Any news about your dad?” he asks.

I’ve told Junki about my family situation. He understand the hardship that I was going through, that’s another reason why he wasn’t so mean to me like he is with others.

“Ma just says he’s doing fine but I know she’s hiding something from me.” I sigh.

“Cheer up. I’m sure your dad is fine and healthy. You can’t lose. Plus, you can’t look like that when you go meet them. They’ll think you’ve been starving.” He pointed to my small figure.

True, I wasn’t eating lately, not that I have the appetite. I was always running errands on mother in law’s behalf and concentrating on my drawing.

“I wonder how your husband will react when he returns and find how much weight you’ve lost in the past weeks.” Junki muse.

“He won’t know the difference.” I wave my hand.

That’s what I was hoping for, for him not to nag and lecture me why I lost so much weight within a few weeks.

It was the weekend, when I didn’t have work. Sherleen was out with her friends and father in law went out to meet his business people. It was only mother and I left inside of the house. It was rather quiet and awkward. I tried to please her with everything but it wasn’t working. Later when I came back downstairs, the whole kitchen was filled with fermented cabbages.

“Are we making kimchi?” I asks mother.

“I just remember I have to meet one of my girlfriend in half an hour. While I’m gone, wash these cabbages for me.”  

My eyes widen.

“A-all of these?” I pointed to the ground that was filled with cabbages.

“Why? You can’t do it?” she said in disgusted tone.

“N-no… It’s just… I’m the only washing them… It’ll take a long time…”

“Just wash them. When I return, I better see them wash and ready to be mix.”

“Yes mother.”

I couldn’t believe that I had to wash all of these cabbages. There was no way I could wash them all by myself. I put on an apron and wash the cabbages, one by one. My legs were killing me but I couldn’t stop and rest. I needed to wash all of these before she came home. I didn’t want another long lecture from her.

One hour pass and I was only ¼ through with the cabbages. I needed to wash them faster. Another hour pass and I was half way done. Just another half and I’ll be able to rest.

By the time mother in law return home, I finish washing the last one. Phew.

“Done washing them?” she asks me.

“Yes.”

She instructed me how to make the kimchi. I nodded my head, trying to remember her instruction.

“You can handle it by yourself right? I need to get ready for a meeting.”

“But-“ I nodded my head.

I wanted to throw a tantrum and kick all of these cabbages away. She wants me to make kimchi all by myself. What kind of human being treats your daughter in law like this? Unfortunately, she does. I sigh.

Sherleen came home after her shortly after mother left. She gasp at the sight of so many cabbages.

“Unni! What are you doing?”

“Making kimchi.” I answer her.

“Where’s umma? Why are you making them by yourself?” she asks me.

“She left for a meeting.” I shrug as I got down on my knees and started mixing the ingredients together.

“This won’t do it. Let me get change and I’ll help you.”

Sherleen change into her comfortable clothes to help me with the kimchi. I was grateful to have her help because we were able to finish them within a few hours. Without her, I probably would still be stuck here.

“Thanks Sherleen.”

“I can’t believe umma did this to you.” Sherleen frown.

“It’s okay. I was bored anyways. This kept me busy.” I lie with a smile.

(End pov)

Mrs. Horvejkul met her appointment at a fancy coffee shop.

“Did you wait long?” she sweetly asks.

“I just got here not long ago.” She smiles back.

“When did you return? Why didn’t you call me? Have you seen my son?”

She smile. “I have auntie. I was shock he was married.” She frown.

“Don’t worry about that, their marriage is only a joke.”

“Why would you say that?”

“Solbi hun, my son loves no one but you. Don’t you know that? He was force to marry that Chinese lady. I’m sure he has no feelings for her. Once you and my son get marry, everything will go fine.”

“I don’t know auntie…”

“Trust me and follow my lead okay?” she hold onto Solbi’s hand with a smile.

Solbi nods her head.