Act 28

Marriage with a Handsome Man

Act 28 - Raging People

Victoria

Mother wasn’t so thrilled to learn that I was now working instead of staying home 24/7 like she thought I would. Of course that’s what I thought as well but things changed, thanks to Nichkhun who helped found me a job that I always wanted.

“Mom, its just work. What’s wrong with her working?” Nichkhun question his mom.

“That’s the point! I don’t want her to work! I want her to stay home and be a housewife! I did not allow you to marry her just so she can work. I wanted you to marry someone who would be a housewife, greet you when you return home!” his mom shouted in anger.

The house was turned upside down when Nichkhun announce about my new job. Father and Sherleen congratulated me while mother went into a rampage.

“Even if she works, she’ll never neglect her job as a wife, mom.” Nichkhun tried to reason with his mom, but she was so stubborn that whatever he was saying wasn’t going inside her ears.

“I want her to quit that job right now. She’s only step into this house not long. I still have a lot to teach her.”

Nichkhun was losing his patience, I can tell. He sigh loudly, placing his hands on either side of his waist.

“You can teach her when she returns. It’s not like there’s much to teach anyways.”

“No. I don’t want that. There’s a lot she needs to learn if she’s to be my daughter in law. End of discussions.”

She didn’t wait for anyone to tell her what to do; she wanted everything her own way. Regardless of any excuses, she’ll find a way to win.

Nichkhun rub his face in frustration. I stood up to comfort him, tell him not to worry too much.

“Maybe I can reason out with her.” I spoke, trying to offer some suggestions.

“No, she won’t listen to anyone, not even me.” Nichkhun’s tired voice answer.

“It’s okay, I’ll leave the job and when mother is a little happy, I can return.” I half smile.

He looked at me, his tired eyes piercing at mines.

“I’m not going to let her ruin your one chance. I will talk to her even if she likes it or not. Don’t worry too much okay?” I nodded my head with a fake smile.

Nichkhun and father went into the study room leaving Sherleen and I in the living room.

“Don’t mind mom, she’s always like that. She’ll ruin everything until she’s happy.”

“She’s really upset and I don’t like it. It makes me feel like I’m a bad daughter in law. I really want to be the best for her but every time I do something good, she looks at it wrongly. I don’t know what to do…” I sigh, placing my hands together on my lap.

“Unni, you’re the best sister in law I could ever wanted. Mom is just so blinded that she doesn’t see your good deeds. One day she’ll come around.” Sherleen smile.

“I hope so,” I whisper to myself.

 

Nichkhun and mom argue a little in the morning before we departed for work. She didn’t want me to leave but Nichkhun refuses to obey her request.

“She’s going to be late. Stop acting like that mom!” Nichkhun shouted, his angers bursting out.

“If she leaves that door, I don’t want her anymore! She’s no longer my daughter in law!” she shouted after Nichkhun who was dragging me out the door.

I look back to see her raging face, scared of what would happen later. He slam the door as he sat down on the driver’s side.

“Don’t bother with her words. She doesn’t mean it. If she won’t accept you, we can move out.” Nichkhun’s voice wasn’t joking.

He really meant what he said. He was tired of arguing with his mom over some ridiculous stuff. She was holding me back for some lame excuses.

I couldn’t really concentrate at work; his mother’s voice was going in circles inside my head. I definitely wasn’t accomplishing any work today.

“Let’s go out for lunch!” John suggested.

Everyone else except me and the boss left for lunch. I wasn’t in the mood to eat or do anything. I was just so scared, nervous to be exact.

“Not going to eat lunch?” Junki ask me from behind, causing me to make a small jump.

I was so deep in my thoughts that when he spoke to me, I was taken by surprise.

“Huh? Oh, I’m not hungry.” I smile to him.

“Does your husband know you skip lunch often?” He pull a chair to sit down next to me.

“I haven’t told him… yet…”

“Ah, the secret wife,” he mused.

“Hey, I just don’t want him to worry. He has enough at hand right now.” I sigh.

“Mind sharing with me? I love stories.” He smile, his genuinely smile.

“Mother was against the fact that I was working. He had a few arguments with her, that’s all.”

“Ah. That fierce mother of his; I wasn’t so fond of her.”

I look at him with an awed look.

“Don’t get me wrong. I like her but I don’t like the way she bosses your husband around like he’s her puppet. I’m glad he’s finally burst his bubble.” He chuckle.  

“Well… yeah…” I smile, my gaze at the ground.

“Let’s go grab lunch, my treat.”

Before I could even agree, he grabs my arm and drags me out. I couldn’t argue with him because I didn’t want him to tell Nichkhun that I’ve been skipping lunch. He’ll be furious to know that I wasn’t eating on time; his worries.

We went into a fancy restaurant that cost in the hundreds. My eyes widen at the prices. I surely couldn’t afford such a meal at the rate of my pay check.

He chuckle, “Choose whatever you want. I’m paying.”

I half nod my head, scanning down the list. The food were American style, the ones that Krystal serve in her very own restaurant.

While we ate, we discuss about our life, more like he did the asking.

“So you’re from China?”

“I moved here a few years back in search for a job.”

“And now you’re married to one of the richest man in Seoul.” He smile.

“Wasn’t part of my plan but I guess it just happened somehow.” I smile.

“Say, how do you and my husband know each other?” I ask him with a curious voice.

“Both our parents are best friends you can say. I’ve known him since forever. Him and I aren’t all that close you can say but we don’t hate each other either. Did he tell you how you got the job?” he raise an eye brow.

“Actually, I was going to ask you that question.” I half laugh.

“Well,” he dab his mouth with the napkin, “I owe him a favor so that favor was to grant you a job. Wa la, you got a job.” He expanded his hand out when he said wa la.

I laugh. Junki was indeed a pleasant fellow to chat with. He had humor and a charming look that you can’t forget.

“How did you owe him a favor?”

“Oh it started since we were children, always owing each other favors. Last time I remember, he helped me from an engagement I dreadfully wished never occurred. He kind of crashed it, so to speak.”

“That poor lady must have been devastated when you weren’t going to marry him.” I tease.

He laugh.

“Trust me, you wouldn’t want to marry her if you were in my shoe. She was so good looking that she’ll blind those poor eyes of yours.” He laugh.

After lunch, he dropped me off in the front before driving into the parking lot. I told him I didn’t want people to see us together or else it’ll cause a rumor, which was the least thing I wanted to happen.