Act 29

Marriage with a Handsome Man

 

Act 29 – You’re my fat ox

I was in such a rush that I wasn’t watching where I was going, bumping into someone.

“Ouch.” She hit the floor with a loud thud.

I look down to find a pretty lady, her brownish blond hair scatter all over her face.

“I am so sorry!” I bent down to help her up.

She brushes herself as she got up.

“Are you alright? Do you need to see a doctor?” words started popping out of my mouth non-stop.

I was just so scared that she probably twisted her arm or something.

“I’m fine.” She flash a bright smile to me.

“I’m so sorry. I was just in a hurry that I wasn’t watching where I was going.” I try explaining to her.

“No sweat. It was partially my fault for not watching where I was walking.”

Phew. She’s such a sweet lady.

“If you’ll excuse me, I have to go see my father.” I smile to her one last time before dashing into the elevator door.

I was just getting off work when father called me to come see him. He said it was an urgent meeting therefore I came rushing in, bumping into a poor lady. I really hope she was fine.

“I’m here to see my father.” I kindly say to one of his secretary.

“He’s waiting for you inside his office.”

“Thank you.”

I close the door behind me as I walk into his quiet office.

“Sit down, child.”

I was waiting for whatever he had to tell me.

Nichkhun POV

I was in my office checking off some paper work when a knock was place at my door. I look up, blinking a few times. I had at first thought I was seeing a ghost but surely, she wasn’t a ghost.

There she stand, her never changing smile that I remember.

“Solbi?” I call her name.

“Oppa.” She call back with a brighter smile.

I greeted her with a long warm hug. It’s been so many years since I’ve last heard or seen her. She nonetheless was still pretty, just how I remember her to be.

She sat across from me, her smile plaster on her face.

“How – have you been?” she finally ask, breaking the silence.

“Good. How about you? How was study?”

“It was great. I can’t tell you how much I loved the States. No wonder you loved it too. It’s just so fabulous. There are so many great things to do in California.”

“I’m glad you had fun.”

“If only I can bring you with me.” She frown.

I chuckle.

“I’m just glad you finish with your study. Are you ready to kick me out from being a CEO?” I .

“Of course. Watch out, you’ll be out of that spot soon.” She tease back.

I couldn’t explain how great it was to feel, to have her back. I was so interested with her study during our dinner session that I forgot all about my date with Victoria.

I drop her back at the hotel she was currently staying in for a few days until she could settle down with her uncle and Junki. She just arrived today that she barely got to rest. She was so happy to see me again that she rush from the airport to my workplace just to see me. How cute of her.

Victoria POV

“W-what?” I shockingly ask father.

“Y-your father is ill. I just receive a call from your mom today. She wants to tell you not to worry too much.”

I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Pa was hurt from work yet ma said for me not to worry. How can I not worry when he’s hurt?

“W-why did she call you instead?” I ask him in a calm voice.

“She was scared that you would be in shock and start to panic so she called me.”

I thank father for the news but my head was in full thoughts. How was pa? How did he get hurt? Can I go back to see him?

I enter Nichkhun’s floor to meet him up because he said he had some papers he had to look over, so I volunteer to come instead of having him pick me up.

“Sorry but he left an hour ago.”

“Do you know when he’ll be back?”

“He said he was going out to dinner.”

“Do you know who?”

“I’m sorry but he didn’t say who.”

I thank his secretary before walking down the stairs bum out. Today was definitely not my day. Junki decline my drawing, saying it was too simple. Pa was injured while working and now my husband was forgetting our dinner plan.

I wanted to hide in a corner and cry but I couldn’t do that now. I had to work harder so I can send money to pay for pa’s medical bill. I know that ma couldn’t pay all of it, since their income was low.

On top of that, mother was still the same. Nagging here and there when things were not correct to her own way. I tried everything, used all my strength but nothing I do was making it any better.

I ended up at Krystal’s apartment.

“Victoria!” Krystal tightly hug me.

I hug her back with all the strength I had left.

“Want to tell me what’s wrong?” she ask me as we sat cross leg on the couch.

“Nothing’s wrong.” I lie to her.

“Oh come on Victoria. I know something is wrong, that’s why you are here. You need someone to talk to and that someone is me. Spill it out now!”

I took a few breaths before spilling everything out.

I wanted to cry so badly but I held my tears back. Krystal was there to comfort me.

“I didn’t like her when I first saw her” was her remark on mother.

“I don’t know what to do anymore… I feel like giving up…” I sigh.

“Oh you poor thing! You need some rest. You’re worrying too much over some small things. How much sleep have you had in the previous nights?”

“Four hours a night or so.”

I slept around one in the morning after tidying the house and with my work. I wake up at six to prepare breakfast for the family and then I’m off to work. That was pretty much my daily routine, excluding some nights when mother ordered me around when Nichkhun wasn’t home.

“Go sleep in your room. I’ll call him for you.”

 I wanted to tell it was fine and that I was going to leave but she pushed me inside before I could have my say. I really did need a sleep. I want to sleep and think of nothing but a happy dream.

Nichkhun POV

When I enter the bed, it was empty. She was nowhere to be found. Sherleen said she’s never been home. Mom and dad said they too haven’t seen her at all either.

I was sitting inside our room when I suddenly remember our dinner plan for today. I totally forgot about it. I was so engross with Solbi’s return that I forgot. Don’t tell me she was still waiting for me at the restaurant.

I grab my jacket running out of the house, jumping into my car as I drove out. Half way on the road, Krystal called me to inform me that Victoria was at her place.

“Come in.” Krystal invited me in.

I took off my shoes and walk in after her.

“Where is she?” I quietly ask her.

“She’s asleep in her room.” Krystal pointed to Victoria’s room.

“She’s had a long day so I told her to sleep not long ago.”

“Is she okay?”

“She’s fine, just a little stress out with her dad’s health problem.”

“What happen?”

“He had an accident at work. Victoria was probably sad that her mom didn’t call her directly and instead had called your dad.”

“My dad?”

“Weird but yes. Make sure you lock the door on your way out.” Krystal walk into her room, shutting the door after her.

I open Victoria’s room to find her deep asleep in her small cute bed of hers. It wasn’t messy or clean. She decorated her walls with pictures of her family and Krystal. How cute of her.

I sat on the edge of the bed, lightly caressing her cheeks with my forefingers. She didn’t move at my touch. She must have had a long tiring day, I thought to myself.

After what seems like years (five minutes), Victoria stir in her sleep before opening her eyes. She was pretty surprise to see me.

“W-what are you doing here?” she sat up, rubbing her eyes.

I smile.

“To fetch my tired wife home. Why else would I be here?”

“Sorry I fell asleep. I didn’t mean to fall asleep but-“

“It’s okay. You’ve had a long day. Ready to go home, where you belong?” I smile.

She nodded her head, getting off from the bed. Luckily I caught her on time before she fell against her desk. She was surely drunk asleep from the way she walked.

I didn’t want her to fall and hurt her so I gave her a piggy back ride on the way to the car.

“Am I heavy?” she ask me with her sleepy voice.

“You’re heavy like an ox.” I .

“An ox?”

“Yes, like an ox. From now on, you’re going to be my fat ox that belongs only to me.”

Victoria smile, placing her head against my back.

“I’m sorry for forgetting our dinner tonight.”

“It’s okay. I had other things I need to do anyways.” She lie.

“I’ll make it up to you. I promise.”

“Okay.”

Although she was hurt, she didn’t show it but use a lie to cover it up. Is that why I came to love her so much these past weeks?