Chapter 4

Fadeless Memory

Ilsan

Song Ji Hyo just finished packing her things when suddenly her mobile phone ringing. Knowing the person by the ringing tone, she grab her mobile phone and answer it a while before she ended the conversation with some question in her mind. In rush since she already late for works, she take her car keys and run to her car and then drive to her office in her maximum speed.

Once she reaches her office, all her officemate greet her warmly and she replied back with her sweetest smile as always. “Morning Ji Hyo-yah, how your day today dear?” her officemate, Kang Gary greets her in his cheesy way as always and jokingly she replied him back “Oh jagiya, it’s always good but it much better if it is without you”. Ji Hyo knows Gary had feelings to her; even he had made his confession to her once but for her Gary is just like a friend, among her best friend in here. Since she is staying far from her parent only to him she will ask for help; frankly she feels thankful and grateful to know him in her life but she can’t arouse the feelings to him. It’s not also because of his character or physical but it just she can’t develop it.

“Kang Gary, you buy me this? Gomawo chingu” she says and grabs the hot Americano on her table and take a sip of the black coffee. Even though Gary is four years older than her but she more prefer to call him by his name but sometimes she also will call him Oppa especially in their normal life since Gary also didn’t mind about that.  They have known for almost 6 years and he is the one she first met once she being transfer to Ilsan Police Station.

“Hey Ji Hyo-yah you know regarding the murder case in Busan?” her best friend asks again in her blissful breakfast making she nods her head in answering him while swallow hard the bread that full in . “The murder case of the Yeol clan’s leader, it’s still under investigation right?”

“Yeah they still can’t arrest the murderer yet but I think it was done by the other gangster clan” Ji Hyo just nodded agree with her friend thinking, the fight between gangster clan is something not rare to be heard as they always fighting with themselves to be known among the best.  As the police, somewhat this gangster had ruin and triggers their image as the protector of the country since the sneaky and tricky gangster really good in hiding their bad deed.

Finish up her breakfast, she was about to continue her works when one Police Officer come to  her “Inspector, the Chief is looking for you” Knowing what might be the reason she was called, with her poker face she walks and enter the room after received the approval. Sitting in front of her Chief, which she had known since her childhood time; she just nodded agreeing in her father’s best friend words before she exit the room with some disbelief and curious in herself.  “Your information had been send there and you are known as Cheon Sung Im and please keep it as a secret”

 

******

 

Seoul

Ji Hyo just arrived at her hometown at Seoul and the smiley Mr. Moon can be seen up in the sky. The night today is nice due to the spring. Take down her belonging from car she then enter the house with the duplicate key that she have where she found no one at the living room; in curious mind she glance the clock hanging on the wall. ‘It’s 11.00 p.m, Appa must be at study room right now’

With the heavy luggage in her hand, slowly she climbs the stair and walks to her room located at the end of the building. Swiss on the lamp inside her room, she can see how neat and tidy the room was and its looks the same when she leave the room three month before. Due to hectic job life, she rarely has time to go back home even though its only take one and half hour to drive from Ilsan to Seoul. Feels tired she rest herself and lay on the bed but the sweat with the smelt of alcohol on herself make uncomfortable. Still remembered in her mind the enjoyable she had before going home today, all her officemate celebrate the farewell party for her as she will be transfer to Head Quarters started on next Monday, truthfully in herself she feels miss and sad to leave all her friend there but she has a mission to be completed.

“Ji Hyo-yah you already home?” she heard her father voice when she was about to enter the washroom which make she walks to him instead. At the study room, she saw her father doing his reading in his wheel chair. Due to an accident he had before, her father paralyzed from his hip to below. 

The numb old man just smiles once he saw his daughter enter the room. It’s been three month they didn’t meet, even though they always call each other but he really miss his daughter, the only daughter that he have with his wife. Ji Hyo’s  face really resemble his wife, looking to her sometimes can give watery in his when remembered his late wife who had died 12 years before.

“Appa, what all this? Why I need to transfer there and even change my name?” Ji Hyo asks in protest expressing all his curious to her father since the order that she received from him through their last phone call. To get the mission success his father even used his authority and cooperate with his best friend; her ex-chief. “Ji Hyo-yah just this time, please helps Appa and Ahjumma. At least help Appa to reconcile my deed before”. Can’t say much, Ji Hyo just nodded agreeing even though she still feels burden to done the request.