Chapter 19

Fadeless Memory

“Jong Kook Oppa… Jong Kook Oppa… No!!!” Ji Hyo keeps scream in her tears while giving CPR to him. Since she not really trains with CPR technique she keeps doing vigorous chest compression at a continuous pace of 100 beats per minute without pause until the paramedic arrive.

“Hey Miss Crime, looks I’m okay now…. What are you doing there?” Jong Kook who is sits beside her curious in what she done so he low his face seeing the body on the ground. “Eh, why I’m there?”

“Miss for how long did he stop breathing?” one of the paramedic asks once arrived with Automated External Defibrillator (AED) in his hand. “I think around 2 minutes” Ji Hyo replies since in her calculation she had done 2 times CPR to him.

“We need to be fast, if he still breathless within 8 to 10 minutes he might death” the paramedic said to his friend while rip his shirt expose his bare chest. Wipe the sweat on his body the paramedic place the sticky pads with electrodes sensors on his chest – the negative pad on the right center of his chest above the while the positive electrodes pad slightly below his left and pectoral muscle.

“No…no I’m not died yet… I won’t be died. I not yet married, even I’m not yet kiss her” he shake his head disbelief what he had seen.

“Miss please stay away from him” the paramedic with his serious expression said once he saw Ji Hyo still holding Jong Kook’s hand. Nod a little obey with the instruction, Ji Hyo kiss his hand a little before she let him go and move her place giving the space for the paramedics doing his job. Tears still flow in her.

“Sung Im-ah, I’m here. I’m here, can’t you see me?” he squat himself in front her while his hand wave to her face to get her attention. Since didn’t receive any response from her, he walks back to his body. He feels his body so light. “Hey wake up. Stop your nonsense act, don’t pretend to be death!”

The paramedic then press the analyze button on the AED to check Jong Kook’s heart rhythm before he push the shock button as per instruction by the machine.  Immediately following the shock, the paramedic begins the CPR back. Since no changes from Jong Kook the paramedic continues doing the process for the second time.

“Ouch! It hurt stupid!!” feel the shock by the volt he run himself to the paramedic to hit the man head but only his hand go through the man. Even he drops himself onto the ground.

“Last try” the paramedics say after checking his pulse. Ji Hyo who is staying near with her tears keeps praying for his safety while seeing the paramedic pushes the shock button on the AED in his third trial. But still no beating appears on the machine monitor. 5 minutes had pass, usually during this time brain damage can happen due to cerebral hypoxia.

“Hey wake up, how I can get back into you?” he talks to his numb body on the ground. So he holds his own hand but he can’t feel it. “Should I jump?” give his try he jump high but the wind blow and like a leaves the light Jong Kook flew away. “No!!!”

Didn’t give up rashly the paramedic doing his CPR towards the Detective “Come on Sir, come on”. He keeps compress his chest without fails, the sweat can be seen on his forehead.

Tit….tit….tit….

“Thank God” relieves when his heart resume beating, rashly the paramedic wears the oxygen mask to him  in helping his breathing and to avoid any massive brain damage while lift the unconscious body on the stretcher after done his first aid towards his bleeding. Together with Ji Hyo, the ambulance rashly runs to the Hospital which then immediately transports him to Operation Theater for his surgery.

“How his condition?” in her curious Ji Hyo asks one she saw the paramedic exit the Emergency Room. The place around the emergency room looks chaos with the injured people due to the riot.

“He in the Operation Theater now, the bullet hit his lung. We will try our best to save him”

 

******

 

The fly Jong Kook suddenly stops at one place. “Where am I?” but in immediate he recognize the place when see the decoration in the house. It is his old house, the apartment of Kim’s family. Still screening the apartment living room, he heard a laugh from the kitchen so he walks there. “Omma” he see his mother sits at the dining table together with one man. In his warm smile he runs himself to his mother that he miss but suddenly he stops when he see the man with her.

“Appa… don’t hit me” shaken he walks back try to hinder from the man. “Jong Kook-ah, don’t afraid. Come here” his father said in his warm smile. Still afraid he looks to his mom in a way of asking her, knowing his gesture the mom just nod his head. Slowly he walks to his parent and fall into the deep hug.

“Jong Kook-ah you want to follow us?” his father asks but the curious Jong Kook instead say his denial or agree ask him back “To where?”

 

******

Inside the Operation Theater the chest surgeon immediately undergo surgery to remove the bullets and to repair the damaged lung. Luckily the bullet just hit the lung wall which had cause pneumothorax; a collection of free air in the chest outside the lung that cause the lung to collapse. The skill surgeon carefully removes the bullet from his lung and repairs the hole in the lung. Then he place the chest tube by inserted through the chest wall and slipped into the space between the chest wall and the lung. The tube is needed to evacuate air and any residual blood or body fluids from the chest cavity and also helps keep the lung inflated.  After the operation Jong Kook was place to Intensive Care Unit (ICU) for a doctor to monitor his condition.

“Who is the family member of the patient name Kim Jong Kook-shi” the surgeon said once he exits the surgery room. Heard his name Ji Hyo and her subordinates rashly run to the surgeon in seeking the condition of the Detective. “We his friend Doctor, how is he?” Inspector Tae Hyuk asks on behalf of others. “The operation is successful but due to his heart stops beating before he in state of coma now. Where his family member, I need to see them”

“I will try contact his brother Doctor” Inspector Sung Im said while reach her mobile. “Okay once he arrives ask him to see me, I need to tell his condition to him” said the Doctor before he walks and leave Ji Hyo dumb folded.

Ji Hyo has tries many time to call Seong Jin but the line unconnected, so he leaves her message instead. Feels curious with Jong Kook condition, she walks to the Doctor room. “Doctor, may I know the condition of patient Kim Jong Kook?” The Doctor with his warm smile, in order to gets his authorize asks her back “Who are you to him?”

“I’m…I’m his fiancé” knowing the legal act that the Doctor need to bare, she lies since his condition and her curiousness is more important.

 

********

 

Jong Kook with his parent flies together to one place at Seoul. “Jong Kook-ah you know this place right?” his mother asks and he just nod his head while enter the house with his parent. Climb up the stairs to his own room, he can see how messy his room is same like when he leave the room 18 years before.

“Jong Myun” he heard the familiar voice from behind calls his father name, he know well the voice. Turn his head he can see his adopted father standing along with his parent at the room door. “Appa, who had kill you?” he asks after unleash his hug to his adopted father. “Did that scar man kill you?” didn’t get the man reply, he asks again. “Who told you?” his adopted father ask.

“Seong Jin Hyung” he replies back but his adopted father just remain silent. A tear drops from his eyes. “Jong Kook-ah you want to follow us?” his mother asks again.

“Go where?”

*******

 

The unconscious Jong Kook is inside the ICU with the endotracheal tube into his lung and ventilator to help him in breathing; his face looks really calm just like he has his deep sleep. Ji Hyo who sits beside him, in tears keeps holds his hand. In her heart she prays hard for his safety, for his health in hope he soon to recover.

“Jong Kook Oppa, please awake. Didn’t you said you will leave until 200 years, didn’t you said you won’t leave me, didn’t you said you love me. Oppa, if you love me please…please awake, I don’t mind if you never recognize me anymore, just I want you to woke up, be healthy like before” she keeps says in hope he can hear her. In her cry she remembers her meeting with the Doctor.

**Flashback**

Shows the X-ray and CT scan of him to her, the Doctor tells his condition. “As you can see through this X-ray his damaged lung already been treated there also the hole due to the shot, but due to his damage lung it cause him lost breathing that I afraid might affect to his brain. Our brain has a very complex and sensitive cell, within 3 to 5 minutes without the oxygen the cell can damage and through his report, Kim Jong Kook-shi had breathless for almost 7 minutes. Usually people with this condition will be in state of coma, even though he is awake might he will loss his memory. Through his brain CT scan here, some of his cells had been affected and based on his blood oxygen saturation result he was in the mild state but we still unknown it’s severe until he is conscious because it’s all depend on how his body deals with the reduce oxygen content of the blood. Just hope he is awake from his coma soon because the deep coma will interfere with body breathing which cause a more severe to his brain damage. For now we will continue to restore the oxygen to his brain”

“If he didn’t wake up will he die Doctor?”

“Yes, it can be. For now just pray hard for him and be prepared for any possibility”

**End of flashback**

*******

“Go where?” he ask again his parents when only the smile that he received from them.

“To a beautiful place the place with lot of happiness” his mother replies. “The place which all people are lives happily, no harm or even fight” his father adds with his warm smile in giving him understanding and to coax him.

Slightly after a brightly shine appear behind them dazzled and shock him. In his state while wonder the existence of the brightly white light, he see his parent together with his adopted father walks into it. “Let’s go Jong Kook-ah”

Hesitate at first, slowly he nods his head and walks following them. 

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

p/s : the hard chapter I had done so far, but hope you will like it & sorry for any mistake

I'll be on holiday starting tomorrow onward, so no update till I go back home ^^