Chapter 34

Fadeless Memory

After taking bath and prepared herself, in rush Ji Hyo drives to Seoul directly to the man’s house. The worried towards the man become tense in her heart as she wondering his condition. Her mind full with her thought of the man and his sadness voice at his last call before keep dancing in her mind, there also the phone calls that she received during lunch today and her best friend’s story.

“Miss, may I know why Kim Jong Kook-shi didn’t come to medical checkup today?”

“After his mother died, D.S Kim had changes a lot. His jobs worsen there also his memory. He always space out during work...He is on leave today for his medical check-up”

 “After you transfer here I noticed one car keeps following you which surprise me to know it was Kim Jong Kook-shi. Ji Hyo-yah how I hope I can be like him, willing to sacrifice in order to see your happiness even pledging other man to take care and give happiness to you. Although he is pain, he didn’t care as long as you are happy as he only can bring you suffer”

Recall her previous conversation with the caller questioning her about his where about.

‘Why he taken a leave if he didn’t go to medical checkup, where did he go?’

Her best friend’s truth also brings her in wonder in his decision

‘So, the break up was because he afraid he will only give me suffers… why this matter comes, didn’t we already discuss about this? There must be something he keeps for himself’

‘After so long why suddenly he calls today, what had happen to you Oppa?’

Her mind keeps thinking regarding his weird action today that accompany her along 1 hours journey to Seoul. By hook or crook she must meet him today to complete the puzzle as only he has the pieces left.

 

*****

Upon arrives at his apartment, she enter the key password that she glad he never change it. As she enter his house how astound she is in seeing the condition of the building. It’s no longer the clean and tidy home that she know, the house looks messy, dusk are everywhere showing it’s a long time it didn’t been clean up and what shock her more to see the alcohol bottle and tin everywhere. For a healthy conscious like him to be into this state sad her in thinking how much distress he had deal with and her tears drop once she see the man sleep helplessly at the living room. He sit on the floor while his head lean on the coffee table as his support, the left over beer tin scatter around the table while she can sense his right hand holding his mobile phone.

Slowly she walks towards the man and sit beside him. Her cry become tense once he see his condition – the eye back clearly can be seen under his eyes, his cheek looks hallow and he become thinner compare the last time she saw him. Full with her worries, she grabs the man into her hug and places his head into her chest.

The slightly motion that happen; awake the man from his sleep. Know the person by her perfume curious him the existence of the woman. “Ji Hyo-yah, why are you here?” He want to chase her away and let loose the hug but the miss of him to the woman really bad, how he wanted to see her every day, even though how hard he wants to forget her but deep inside his heart denied it. The woman already captured in his heart and he can’t forget her so he returns back the hug together with his tears.

“Oppa, what had happen to you? Why you become like this?”

“I’m sorry Ji Hyo-yah… I miss you, I love you” in his hug continually he pledge his sorry to the woman to unleash the entire burden in himself.

“It’s okay Oppa, I know they must be a reason behind this” she coax the man while scoop to his cheek having eye an eye contact with him. Her thumb wipe his tears and she give a slightly kiss to his lip. A light kiss that they have bit a bit become tender as he return back the kiss and pull her hard into his embrace. The long kisses that they share only end when suddenly the man run from the place in his lame step towards the bathroom at the kitchen. In the bathroom he vomit all the unpleasant inside his stomach, his head feels heavy and hurt while Ji Hyo helping him by rub his back.

“Oppa, better you sleep first” she said and brings the man to his bedroom. Like the entire house his room also looks messy, his used cloth scatter everywhere inside the room also the messy bed that he have. Push down his cloth on the bed to the floor, she lays him to the bed and about to walks to the cupboard when unexpectedly he caught her hand.

“Ji Hyo-yah don’t go”

“Oppa, I just want to go to that cupboard to take your shirt. You need to change”

In hesitation he let go his hand but his eyes keep eyeing the woman movement. He bit a smile when she comes back with his clean shirt and like an obedient child he follows all her instruction. Sometimes he likes to be pampered by her.

“Oppa, just sleep okay. You must be tired”

“Where you want to go? Don’t go… accompany me here” he said when seeing the woman like wanted to go somewhere. He wide his arm shows his shoulder to her, the place that she always leans to on her sleep. The woman since she also misses the man without thinking much run to his arm and embrace him on his waist. They chuckle a bit and he plans his kiss on her forehead with his closed eyes. With his tiredness and headache due to the alcohol soon the man falls into his deep sleep. Seeing the man already sleeps, Ji Hyo steal a kiss on his lip and together inside each other embrace her eyes shut down with the happiness in her heart. “I love you, Jagiya”

 

*******

Early the next morning, Jong Kook wakes up when the alarm loud disturbing him from his sleep. In his smile he reachs his hand in gesture to search her but only the emptiness he can feels beside him. The woman nowhere as much he had expected and how he wishes last night was not only a dream. But, seeing the emptiness beside him loses his hope and in his frustration he walks to the bathroom to takes his bath.

After 15 minutes in the bathroom, half he walks out and prepared himself to work. The tidiness of his room questions him while his ear notices someone at his kitchen. In his smile rashly he run to the kitchen and his smile become brighter once he sees the woman busy at the kitchen preparing the meal.   Slowly he walks to the woman and wraps a hug to her from behind and places a kiss on her cheek.

“Love, its surprise me to see you here. I thought I just have a dream last night like always”

“Hahaha… did you really miss me Oppa? So here I’m for you but if you ever wanted me back” in sulky she reply when thinking his act before that leads to their break up. Although they have share a sweet moment last night and the nice treat he had give her but the doubt regarding their relationship still questioning in her heart. She didn’t know how to describe it since the man himself never talks about it.

“I do want you, I do miss you, I do love you Ji Hyo-yah…but…”

“Oppa tells me what the matter. If you love me, why needs we break up…? You say you wanted to bring the happiness in me as with you I only will get suffer. Jagiya, how could I gain happiness when I’m not with you, don’t you know only you can bring me happiness” turn her back in facing the man and cling her arm around his neck, she ask to get the explanation from him.

“How did you know, did Gary-shi told you?” he asks feels a trap in his own secret.

“Ne Oppa but don’t blame him he just do it to bring me happiness. What the matter?”

In his hesitation he unleashes his embrace and walks to the table and taking his seat there. He brush his own hair with both his hand try to finds the exact words to the woman. The guiltiness can be seen spark in his eyes, he know he can’t hide anymore. She has to know the real reason behind his act before.

“Ji Hyo-yah, come and sit beside me here” he calls her while pull a chair beside him. Grab her hand he unleashes a long sigh ready to reveal all the secret he holds.

 “Did you remember the note Kaonashi wrote during Omma case, that different with the other?”

He asks but received a shake by the woman since she can’t remember it well. “What it is Oppa?”

“During Omma case, Kaonashi’s note write ‘The revenge already begun’ while the others two cases he write ‘I will revenge’, means the revenge not complete yet, he still seek for the revenge”

“But Oppa what is the connection of Kaonashi case with you?”

“When I heard your conversation with your father asking you to go to Ilsan and your hesitation I know I should done this break up in order to safe you. I don’t want anything bad happen to you, just like what did happen to Omma. I also had lose my connection with my brother for his safety”

“To safe us? What you mean Oppa, did you think Kaonashi wanted to take revenge to you after you see Omma death. Jagiya, it’s could be someone else, might be Ahjumma’s current family or it’s a mistaken crime”

“Love, did you remember the phone calls that I received after Omma death, the phone calls that I always ignore?” he asks again and received a nod by the girl as she also wonders regarding the phone call. Still she remembers the yell he gives to the caller. She was about to ask him again but his words interpose her.

“Those phone calls I received are from Kaonashi… he wants to kills me and my beloved… Ji Hyo-yah it’s dangerous you to be here!” he continues his word leave the woman in silent shocked in his word.

 

*******

Today was a month since Choy Nam Seon’s death. Together with his brother, in their black attire Jong Kook goes to the graveyard for the ceremony. As the part of ritual, today was the last day of the mourn time. Together with the brothers, there also Lee Kwang Soo and his father attending the ritual and give their respect and invocation to the death.

The relationship between him and Ji Hyo already come back to normal but for her safety he asks her to stay at Ilsan, be alert and never stay alone. For her safety Jong Kook had told her family and without troubles her family live together with her at Ilsan. As part of her safety also, never ever Jong Kook comes to visit her at Ilsan as he afraid might be Kaonashi will following him, only mobile connection bond this couple together. Although the couple might miss each other but this is the only option they have, to be separated much better than break up, they had feels it once and knew the suffering. Their love was pure and deep, they can’t leave without each other. But with the current thread from Kaonashi, although it’s hard to accept Jong Kook always remind her to prepare for any possibility as future is unpredictable.

“Jong Kook-ah come follow me, I want to show you something” out in the blue his brother speaks once they reach their car. Following his brother although know the risk that they will face in each other car they drive until reach to one building that they know.

“Jong Kook-ah you remember this home?” the smile captured on the elder once he nod. It’s was the same home that he had been before in searching the black diary – the Lee’s house. Together the brother walks together loitering around the house until they reach the Sakura tree. “Jong Kook-ah you remember this tree?” his brother asks again and always received by nod by his little brother.

“Uhhh… sorry might be I’m too pathetic but I think you remember well about your childhood right?”

“It’s okay Hyung, I know your intention. You just want to recall my memory back” replied Jong Kook and received a chuckle by his brother. They walk around the backyard when suddenly his brother runs inside the house to go to the toilet. He wants to warn his brother to be careful, but the elder already missing so in his slow walks he also leave the place following his brother when suddenly…

‘Bang…bang…’

Two dash of shoot heard and rashly in worried Jong Kook run to get his brother.

“Hahahaha… here you are, Detective” one man in disguise with the gun on his hand stood at the place while his brother with his face on the ground motionless lying without breath.

“Hyung!!”

“Kaonashi!” 

 

 

p/s : sorry for my late update... hope this chapter satisfied you all. 
For the next chapter might be will be updated a week from today... hope u all can wait for it.