Chapter 2

Fadeless Memory

“May I help you” a stranger man voice appear from behind shock him and he lift he face up to looks the figure who is standing behind them with the sweet smile on his face. The good looking man with his casual outfit than walks and without permission sit in front of them while both the same age friends just looks at his act with the question in their mind. Still in his smile the man ask him again when neither replies he give nor any feedback from the gesture. In a second when the mind come to him he shake to the man and give his denial replied before he walks away with his friend leaves the man still with the sweet smile on his face.

Never been his intention to be rude with the man who has give his warmly offer but to believe a stranger is something is beyond his way, in his life he had been taught not easily to believe in any stranger and to accept the man offer is something that is bizarre to be done.

“Kwang Soo why you refuse his offer, that man seems good and sincere” his friend said once he managed to capture him in walking. “Believe him? Joong Ki I didn’t know him, we didn’t even met once why suddenly he want to help me? What he intention? It’s strange” he rebukes back and enter the car while his friend just seeing him with a poker face before they leave together to their places.

Since he on leave today, after taking his almost 8 hours sleep and his shower, he walks to the kitchen when he can see his step mother are there having her tea time together with his father who just come back from his office. 10 years before his father had married this woman which is also an acquaintance of his best friend’s father but maybe of their age no new life born from this marriage, only him the only child in the house. His step mother, before she married his father was a widow where her ex-husband had died in a tragic way and she also has one son that still missing but due to one accident that happen to her she can’t remember them well, only a piece of picture is the memory that left behind.

“Kwang Soo-ah let’s eat together. Why you arrived late this morning?” his step mother voice realize him from his past and with a nod, the 22 olds Kwang Soo walks to the coffee table and having a meal together with his parent. Lie a bit to his parents as they keep asking the bruise on his face since he didn’t want them to be worried, he also didn’t tell them the problem that he faces now despite he shows them the cheerful side of him as always.

 

 

******

Busan

One old man with his big tummy and bald head just exit one building near the port together with three of his build up bodyguard. The old man laugh happily while one of his bodyguard who is walks beside him holds one big briefcase and the four of them walks to their car which is park nearby. In their walks at deep dark night the old man feels something strange tonight, he feels that someone sneak them from a far behind. Scare a bit he asks two of his bodyguard to search the area while enter his car. “That burdensome didn’t know about our meeting tonight right? I go first” the big fat old man asks which referring to the police before him with his driver together leave the place after received the guarantee gesture by his man.

The old man, Yeol Jee Gun despite of his age that almost reach 55 years old still active with his activity as the leader of Yeol clan, among one of the gangster clan in Korea which involve in loansharking, extortion, ion, gambling and drugs. This clan which was exist 35 years before was founded by his father and he inherit the clan after his father been jail and hang for his terrorism act 19 years before.

“Where you bring me?” inside his car with the fidget he ask his driver when he found out the driver has drive him to one isolated place and park the car there. Grab his mobile on his pocket that suddenly rang he answer the call with his surprise expression while his other hand tries to take out the pistol but to his surprise suddenly the light inside the car being switch on and one pistol already hanging in front him once he roses his head. “I think you already know where your driver right?” the man with a cap in front of him and the pistol on his hand ask which referring to his phone call before.

Didn’t give a chance to the old man to answers his question, the man wearing the black attire without hesitate press the lever in the pistol and leave the numb bloody body inside the car before he also missing into the dark night.

 

******

 

Early dawn the next morning, with his best friend Joong Ki they headed to the stall at Songdo Market where they found the hawker still busy as yesterday. Knowing him once he arrived, with the jerk and guiltless face the hawker unwelcoming him to be there and even sneer him. “What are you doing here? I don’t have any business with you”

With still some respect to the hawker who is much older than him and forgetting the revenge he wants from the man, he still begs to the hawker to cancel the report but the hawker still refuse even with the rudeness the hawker push them hard to exit his stall before he shut it down and throw his car key that he left before. Seeing the rebuke expression by hawker, didn’t have any option both of them left the place with the disappointed yet mad face. Never been in their life faces with someone who is heartless like the hawker is and some curse spill from them.

Since they have no option additional with the heartless Hawker, they have to search for the Summons money in the stipulated 40 hours or else Kwang Soo will face with further judgment later. In their fair and stubborn mind of course they didn’t want to pay for the summons but thinking the trouble that will face by his family, Kwang Soo endure a bit his rebuke thus trying to search for the money. However, for the salaryman who just work and jobless Joong Ki for sure to get 1 million won within the stipulation time is something that uneasy to be done, even though they combine their savings the money still not enough and they didn’t want their parents to involve in this problem.

 “Kwang Soo, I think we didn’t have any choice than to get help from Noona. I know she can keep this secret” suddenly Joong Ki blunts to their quietness and gives his idea when they loitering together under the peaceful night. In hesitation Kwang Soo nods his head agree with his friend’s idea while seeing Joong Ki grab his mobile on his pocket and calls his precious and the only sister,  the most trusted person they can think and they know is comfortable enough to lend them some money. “But please don’t tell the real reason we wants to borrow her money, I afraid she might brings this matter further” Lying a bit in saying they need the money to repair Joong Ki’s car, without saying much the Noona lend him the money with their promises to return it back to her.

The next day, with the money in their hand both the same age friend heading together to Korean National Police Agency at Seodaemun-gu, Seoul and straightly walks to Public Security Bureau to pays the summons but toward their surprise the report had been discharge. “The complainer come here yesterday and cancels his report”

Feels relieve and grateful, in mind of thanking the Hawker both of them heading to the stall at Sodo Market where they find the middle man still busy with his business. With their gesture they enter the stall but like yesterday with the smirk on his face the man greet them. “What you want again from me, I already cancel the report”. With a warm smile on his face, without thinking much and didn’t care the people around, Kwang Soo bows to the middle man in express his thankful gratitude but rashly the Hawker grabs his body and asks him to stand. “It’s not me who you need to thanks too. I don’t know how lucky you’re in your life”

In their blank and questioning mind with the current situation, they return back to the Police Agency to search the helper since the person that they can guess is the man who they meet 3 days before. Looking around  the lobby in search for the person, feeling regret with his past action Kwang Soo suddenly remember his first encounter with the man near the building elevator and immediately he walks to the Public Security Department at the ground level of the building where he found the Police Officer at his work desk doing his report.

“Ohhh… that man, he is Detective Superintendent Kim Jong Kook, the best detective in here” 

 

p/s : Sorry for my late updated..