Chapter 14

Fadeless Memory

“Miss Crime, what are you doing? Let’s go” Jong Kook say standing in front her work desk. Ji Hyo surprise in his appearance, rashly stop what her been doing and switch off her desktop monitor. “Nothing… where are we going?” blankly she reply. “Don’t you remember, we have shooting training today” he reply and then walk side by side with her heading towards the elevator and straightly go to the basement  level.

Ji Hyo feels awe once they arrived at basement level; it’s her first time being here. The place looks big and creepy. Besides the shooting training which located at the end of the building, in here also located one room where they will be bring the offender for interrogation. Apparently the security in here is tight and strict, without the ID and permission they can’t enter the place.

With the headphone, they have their training with the other co-workers. Jong Kook really good at shooting almost his shoot accurately at the center of the target but not to Ji Hyo since her not really use with shooting. Indeed, she had her shooting training before during her police training but shooting one of the subjects that she dislikes the most. Sometimes, her hand shaken once she presses the lever of the pistol.

Looking to her condition and her miss on the target, Jong Kook walks towards her to give some tips and teach. Standing beside her, he corrected her standing and position. “Wide and bend your leg a bit, standing like this. Don’t put so much pressure to your shoulder, grip the pistol in firm” Like a good student, Ji Hyo follows her instruction and press the lever of the weapon but still she can’t shoot accurately even it’s better than before.

Shake his head a bit since he can sense some mistake in her shooting, Jong Kook walks closely to her behind. His front touch to her back while he place his head beside her and his right hand holds the pistol together with her. He places his left hand at her waist to give some support. “I’m sorry, I just want to teach you” he whisper the words to her ear because of their sudden skin ship.

In surprise Ji Hyo glances a bit to him and nods a bit for her permission; she can feels her heart throbbing right now. “Just lean your back at me and bent a bit your leg like what I do” She follows her instruction and with his hand at her, Jong Kook press the lever together with her and accurately the shoots hit the target. Feeling excited with the result, Ji Hyo cheers and turns her back and gives him a hug make Jong Kook feels numb with their sudden contact.

“Upps sorry” realize her own mistake Ji Hyo unleash the hug, she can feels the redness in her face. Jong Kook just nods her head a bit as his understanding and continues his teach to her. Somehow, the place that is cold becomes hot to them now as like as the hot sensation they feels in their heart.

 

*******

 

Lunch hour are 12.00 afternoons, Ji Hyo walks together to the café with the other two female police. After takes and pay her meal she walks to the sit at the corner of the building. While waiting for her friend, she looks outside the window to see the scenery from the 12th floor of the building. From her place, she can see the car at the traffic that moves slow. ‘It’s lunch hour, everyone go out for a meal’. She also can see the skyscraper buildings that grow rapidly as much as the growth of Seoul development.  Apparently she feels glad and proud towards her country achievement, but the rapid growths in development also make the growth in crime. As a police, sometimes it is strain her a bit.

As she sits alone and looking outside, she can hear the chair behind her being pull and someone sit on it. “Sorry to make you waits. Let’s eat” she hear well the man behind her talks and she known well the voice, it’s Kim Jong Kook. After a while, her friends arrived at their table and together they takes their meal while chit chat to each other, but Ji Hyo just remain silent as she more interested to hear the conversation behind her.

“D.S Kim, nowadays I look you really closed with Inspector Sung Im-shi. Is there anything between both of you?” one of his friend ask. ‘Omo they talks about us’ Ji Hyo who eavesdrops their conversation feels excited to hear the answer from Jong Kook. Chuckle a bit, Jong Kook just shake his head “No, there nothings between us, we just friend”

“But, don’t you have feelings towards her. For me Inspector Sung Im quite pretty and attractive, luckily I already married if not I will tackle her” Feels embarrassed with the compliment, Ji Hyo smile a bit but she more focus to hear the reply from her dream man. “Yeah, she is pretty but I just think her as a friend not more than that. She also not my type” In his poker face Jong Kook answer the question didn’t notice Ji Hyo eavesdropping to their conversation. Frankly his heart now feels nervous with the sudden question by his friend; he can feel his heart throbbing in answering while his mind keeps thinking her face. He admit that actually he already like her, feels shy and to secure himself intentionally he make the answer.

Like a thunder she hear the answer from him straightly strike to her heart, she feels heartbroken ‘I just think her as a friend, she also not my type’ continually she rewind his answer in her head, while trying to hold the cry in her eyes.

 

******

 

Another murder case happen at Namyangu, after receive the news rashly Jong Kook embark to the location with Ji Hyo. Inside the car, heading to the location Ji Hyo just remain silent no words comes from make Jong Kook feels curious with her silences. Her face also looks gloomy; Jong Kook wants to ask but looking to her condition he feels waver. ‘PMS maybe’

Arrives at the location, the cases seem like been done by Kaonashi with the shoot and the left note but Jong Kook know by the note it’s done by others who want to put the blame to Kaonashi. The note looks different; the handwritten on the note is different.  

“Inspector Min, who is the victim?” Detective Kim ask to one of the police from Namyangju police station. “Victim Cha Chi Won, from our records he had been jailed for 20 years because of robbery and just release this past 3 years.”

“Did he involve in any gangster clan?” suddenly Inspector Sung Im said shock Jong Kook, but he just nod agreeing with her question. “Nope, he is not. His robbery 20 years before also not related with any gangster clan; but there are six people who involved with the crime”

“How about his criminal members? Did they also being jailed and released like him?” the Detective asks while take note of the report. “Yes, like victim all of them had been released”

“Okay good , I think better we investigate first. Might be they involved in this case. Inspector Sung Im-shi, let’s check the victim”

As they about to walks to the victim, suddenly Jong Kook’s mobile rang. Take the mobile from his pocket he answers the call from the office. “What? Another murder case by Kaonashi?”

After a long conversation at the phone, Jong Kook walks to Ji Hyo that busy in checking the dead body. “Inspector Sung Im-shi, we need to go to Ulsan now. I already talks with Inspector Min, this case will be handle by Namyangu Police Branch since it not related with Kaonashi case. But the case still under our preview, they will provide the report to us later”

“But how about case in Ulsan, did it really done by Kaonashi? But D.S Kim didn’t Ulsan under S.I Park province like Busan?” Ji Hyo rebukes feel stress with the cases that increasing; the cases of Kaonashi still under investigation now they have to face with another.

“Inspector why you being like this? What is the job of police and Crime Investigation bureau? Kaonashi case is under me, I had investigates this case since the early, so I must do it until the end. No matter where the cases happen. If you don’t want to continue or don’t want to be lead by me you can go to S.I Park or S.I Ha!!” Jong Kook snap hearing her rebuke; he know she is stress with the current condition as he also feels the same but he can’t tolerate when she like to give up. Still Jong Kook remember the first case of Kaonashi happen at Busan, since Senior Inspector Park involves with another cases at Bouen in Chungbuk province he need to replace him for the investigation. Since that day, he was assign to the case.

Criminal Investigation Bureau is one of among 7 major bureaus in Korea National Police Agency (KNPA) which is lead by Superintendent General Kim Yo-Han. The Bureau has 2 divisions under which are lead by two Chief Divison –Investigation and Detective Division lead by Senior Superintendent Cho Jae-wook and Special Crime Squad Division lead by Senior Superintendent Lee Ho-Sung.  

Three leaders are assigns under Senior Superintendent Cho – Detective Superintendent Kim Jong Kook, Senior Inspector Park Ho-jin and Senior Inspector Ha Ho-sung and each leader need to take care of their province where D.S Kim responsible to 6 province – Seoul, Incheon, Gyeonggi, Gangwon, Chungnam and Daejeon. 

Can’t say much and didn’t want to continue the fight, Jong Kook walks and enter the car and waited her there. After 5 minutes with the guiltiness in herself Inspector Sung Im enters the car and sits beside him. She wants to say her apologize to Jong Kook, but seeing his condition she feels hesitate. With his folding hand Jong Kook turn his head looks outside didn’t want to see her. Both of them just remain silent until arrives at one field where one helicopter already awaited them to continue their journey to Ulsan.

Inside the helicopter, Ji Hyo feels fidget since this is her first time taking the transport. Wearing the headset provided inside the helicopter, she feels uneasy once the helicopter takes off until her grip to Jong Kook’s arm for a support with her closed eye. Jong Kook just chuckle a bit seeing her condition before she takes and hold her hand along their journey. With his holding at her hand, Ji Hyo feels some strength in her and slowly she opens her eyes to view the best scenery she had ever sees. Together with him at this small helicopter, in the narrow gap between them and his holding hand – she feels like at the cloud 9.

 

*****

 

 After investigation at Ulsan both of them take their break at the park while waiting for the helicopter to arrives. Like Namyangju cases, this murder case also not done by Kaonashi.  “Inspector for you” Jong Kook said while held a bottle of mineral water to Ji Hyo who already sits at one of the bench. Take a sip of his drink, Jong Kook sits beside her while his eyes watch the entire park. From afar he can see a bunch of kids playing football at the field where the helicopter will land there later. He feels enjoyable watching the kids until he can forgo his stress.

“Inspector Sung Im-shi, sorry for scold you before. I know you are stress but I don’t like to see you give up; you should be positive” Jong Kook blurt out. “Sorry to involve you into this case, frankly say I don’t know how long it will be solved. So, if you feel stress and can’t continue or you didn’t like in my way you can leave Inspector”

“D.S Kim I’m sorry for my word before. Yes, I feel a little bit stress but I never feel to stop this case, I want to continue….” Ji Hyo feels hesitate to continue her word.

Sense the hesitation in her Jong Kook continue “It’s on you Inspector, I don’t mind whatever you choose, just I don’t want you to feels burden with the case. I will talk to Chief later to put you under S.I Park or S.I Ha”

“No D.S Kim, no I want to continue this case. I want to investigate it together with you; I like to be under your lead because… because I can’t leave you… ….and…and I love you”