Chapter 18

Fadeless Memory

“Gary Oppa, regarding your confession before I think I would like to try it…” hearing the words from Ji Hyo without hesitate Gary pulls her to his hug in his cheerful smile “Really Ji Hyo-yah, really?”

Inside his tight embrace, Ji Hyo release a bit her harsh breath and move her hand to his both arm, tilt her head and looks deep into his eyes in order to have his understanding and her strength. “Yes I did think I would like to try it but…. I’m sorry Oppa I can’t. I can’t replace him in my heart”

Hear the words from the girl feel broken Gary unleash the hug and distance his body from her. Rub his face and his head to liberate his sadness and stress, he bend his head to the ground still unbelief in what had happen to him. Two times he had make his confession, two times also he had been rejected and both are from the same girl. “Why Ji Hyo-yah? What is good about him compare to me? Didn’t he rejected you?”

“Because I believe in him Oppa and I want to give him time”

“So mean you didn’t believe in me? How about my time waiting for you!?” Gary rebuke back angrily.

“It’s not like that Oppa. Oppa sorry…sorry” feel wrong in her pitiful face she try to hold him into her hug in a way to comforting him but the man with the smirk face push her body far from him make she fall on the ground. “Just go Ji Hyo-yah, leave me alone since I still can’t hate you”

The drop Ji Hyo just remains on the ground release her sorrow there.

 

******

After 3 days taking her leave on Monday with her uniform Ji Hyo walks to the elevator and heading to her office at 9 floor of the building. She looks happy and cheerful today. Inside the office, she greets her officemate that already arrived having and taking their breakfast at the pantry. Take a cup of coffee to herself, she takes her sit at one of the vacant seat and have her sandwich that she brought along her journey to the office.

“Inspector long time no see you, how your holiday?” one Senior Police Officer greets her while taking sit beside her assuming that she had an holiday before. Didn’t want to say much Ji Hyo just nod her head in answering.

“But Inspector is there something happen between you and D.S Kim, I sense he is a bit gloomy when you are not around, even he taking his leave last Saturday” the talkative woman keep talking. With her poker face even though quite surprise with her statement Ji Hyo just said her denial gesture since she knows the woman beside her had crush to Jong Kook. Actually it’s not something surprise in her knowing the fact since lots of policewoman here eyeing him; yeah sometimes she do feels jealous when seeing them glaring to him but he is not her boyfriend; between them are just friend.

After her breakfast, she walks back to her desk. Along the journey to her desk she stops by at one room in wondering the existence of the man inside. She wants to knock his door but something hesitate her and she just continue her walks to her desk. At the desk she keep questioning his leave last Saturday also the miss call that she received from him that time. ‘Did he search for me?’

 

******

“Inspector, come to my room” his serious tone heard once Ji Hyo pick up the phone on her table. Feels nervous slowly she walks to his room and enter once she got his permission.  It’s not their first time meeting or she enters his room, but she didn’t know why she became tongue-tied while facing him now. She wants to say her greeting to him but she can’t, she just remains silent waiting his talk.

“Why so silent Miss Crime, didn’t you should greet me” Jong Kook utter suddenly between the silent.

“I’m sorry D.S Kim, annyeong. How are you today?”  

“Hahahaha D.S Kim? Why so formal? Only both of us together now. Where the rebuke Miss Crime that I know?” intentionally and jokingly Jong Kook laugh hard to get rid of his nervous in facing her. Actually he also feels anxious in seeing her even he can’t describe the palpitation in his heart now, it’s more than what he feels during his 5km jogs. But awkwardly she just remains silent like before.

Looking to her act he takes his long sigh in easiness his feeling. Brush his hair a bit he stares to her face in hope to get some calm but he gets more nervous. “Sung Im-ah I want to say sorry for what had happen before. I know you must hurt with my stupidity”

He pause his talks in hoping to hear the words from her but she still with her poker face sitting in front him. Take his breath he looks at the bunch of roses at his lap, holding it with his right hand ‘It’s now or never’. “Sung Im-ah regarding your confession, I’m sorry…”

“It’s okay D.S Kim, don’t stress yourself regarding that matter. I already forgive you. For now can we be friend like always. If you don’t have another to say can I leave?” suddenly she interrupt as he was about to say his confession. Can’t says much and remember the scene between her and the man at Ilsan he just nod his head to give his permission.

“Sung Im-ah regarding your confession, I’m sorry I didn’t realize my feeling. I do love you” mumbling he say the words that he unable to told her once she exit his room. He feels frustrated, he feels pain and he feels sad. Slowly the tears appear in his eyes and drop to the flower on his lap.

Just she exits his room, rashly Ji Hyo run to the washroom nearby. Even though she had prepared herself for this possibility but she still feels pain inside her heart. Shame to been seen crying she hide herself inside the toilet and burst her cry there.

 

******

 

On the Wednesday evening suddenly Jong Kook got a call from Seoul Metropolitan Police Agency while he is busy in finding the evident of Kaonashi case. It’s almost two month since the first tragedy happen but till now they still unable to search the clue regarding the mystery crime. Kaonashi really good in hiding his deed, even no one appears as the witness of the crime. Only the bullet and the note he leaves as the evidence of his crime.

“Okay I’m with my team will be there now”

Gather all his team Jong Kook held his sudden meeting. There are 10 people inside his team consists of three Inspectors, two Assistant Inspectors while the others are Senior Police Officer and Police Officer. Even though he always be with Inspector Sung Im in investigating Kaonashi cases but he still lead the other crime that happen in his province that he had give his trust to the other two Inspector to handle together with their assistant. Since Inspector Sung Im still new in handling cases he volunteer himself to train her and assign her in handling Kaonashi case together with him.

“I just received a call from Seoul Metropolitan; there are riot happen at Seoul between the gangster clan. Look likes what I afraid the most had happen now. I will bring along 4 people with me Inspector Sung Im-shi, Inspector Tae Hyuk-shi together with your assistant. The rest will be here to do your job as usual. I’m hear from Ansan Danwon Police Station there are one smuggle case happen last night, I want you all to get the report there. I also had contact our Special Crime Squad and in any minutes they will be there. We need to involve in this case since it had related with Kaonashi cases, we are there to investigate but might be we may involve in defense. So be prepare with your weapon”

Together inside the police car five of them embark to the location. Stop the car 500 meter from the riot they can see the gangster clan fights and shoots to each other and the police from Seoul Metropolitan with their weapon try to control the riot by spraying the water and tear gas. There also some thug who drop at the ground either being injured or death. What most shock them some of the gangster wearing Kaonashi mask as their disguise.

“We will be attack from north, south, west and east. All the public had safely run from the place; the injured also had been sends to the Hospital nearest. Best of luck to us then” the Senior Inspector from Seoul Metropolitan who lead the mission give his brief.

Checks his pistol and wear the bullet proof vest Jong Kook prepared himself to enter the battle when he found Inspector Sung Im didn’t wear her vest. “Inspector Sung Im-shi where your vest?”

“I don’t have it D.S Kim” she said make the Detective curious and went to their car to search for it. Thinking back and remember his own mistake in requesting the vest from the Equipment Division, he walks and meet the Senior Inspector from Seoul Metropolitan for the vest but only the denial he received. Take off his own vest, he give it to Inspector Sung Im to wear it.

“It’s okay D.S Kim, I’ll be careful” she denied to received the vest but the Detective in his sweet smile wear the vest to her. “Just wear it Miss Crime, I don’t want you to be hurt. Actually it’s my own mistake. Don’t worry about me; you know I’m good at shooting right?”

With the weapon on their hand in careful both of them enter the riot place. Hiding themselves between the building they shoot the criminal since they refuse to surrender and attack the police. Inspector Sung Im who didn’t have experience in this battle shaken when she want to release the fire, thus she just hide herself although sometime indecisively she shoot but didn’t hit the target. Even though she already had her shoot training, but the situation here is more than she had imagine.

Looking her condition, Jong Kook who is hides not far from her runs and rolls himself to go near her. “Inspector, just stick closed to me”. 

With the police attack and seeing they might lose the battle the mobster slowly runs from the place. Perceive with the current situation some of the police run to catch them while continue their shooting. The gangster in their run also indecisively fire their weapon and one of the them targeting to Inspector Sung Im in her stoop and hide beside the building unnoticed the shoot from her side. Jong Kook who is nearest saw the situation and predicts the shoot might hit to her head rashly run from his hiding and protect her with his body. “Arghhhh”

Shock with the current condition and his body that is drop at her, Ji Hyo grabs him and places him on her lap. The tears already flow from her in seeing his conditions; his bleeding already wet the white shirt that he wears. “D.S Kim why you save me, I wearing the vest”

“Hey there are only us now, please can you call me Oppa like before. I miss that word from you” in his pain Jong Kook keep murmur. “Oppa, Jong Kook Oppa” granted his wishes she call him bring the smile in the Detective, the words that she didn’t use after their fight. Slowly his hand touches her face to wipe the tears on her face “Don’t cry I don’t like to see you cry. Sorry to make you cry before because of my mistake… its hurt me seeing you cry” he continue his talks, sometimes the sound became gruff as he try to endure the pain from his back.

“Cough” suddenly he coughs and wheezes out blood from his mouth in a larger droplet. The blood smudges his chin and shirt, make his white teeth becoming red even some sprinkle to her face.

“Oppa, please stop talking. It’s make you worsen” shock with his current condition still in her cry while wipes the stain on his face Ji Hyo said in afraid, she afraid to lose him in her life. “Shhhh… why you cry, I’m not die yet… I will live until 200 years old… My lovable Sung Im, I won’t leave you… I…love you…Sa..rang..handa”. Still hold her face he keeps talking in his harsh breath until slowly his hand falls together with his breath.

“Jong Kook Oppa!!!!”

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

p/s : Jong Kook Oppa TT^TT
Feels sad reading this chapter, more sad when read while hear KJK's song - How Come You Don't Know