Double Date

Home Is In Your Eyes

Heeyoung was still sleeping in that fine Saturday morning before her senses were awakened by the feeling of being hugged. She didn’t bother and continued her sleep.

“Good morning.” Changjo greeted her with a kiss on her forehead when she finally opened her eyes. He was lying next to her, hugging her while his gaze showed it clearly that he had been staring at her from the start.

She replied him by shifting from her pillow onto his arm instead and hugged him back. “Why are you here already? I still want to sleep,” she mumbled.

“I know. I just came here to continue my sleep with you,” he simply answered.

She chuckled lowly at his words. She squeezed him tighter after getting another kiss on top of her head. By that, they continued their sleep for real.

******

“Breakfast’s ready,” announced Chunji as he came out from the kitchen. Ricky, who was watching a cartoon show in the living room, nodded in reply. Chunji then walked towards Heeyoung’s room to wake her up for breakfast too.

“Heeyoung-ah?” he knocked on her door before opening the door and peeked in. “Ya! What are you doing here?!” his awakened protective side made him snarled right away when he noticed Changjo’s presence there. The couple had curled up into a ball, stuck to each other with their tight hugs.

Ricky, without storming towards her room to witness the scene with his own eyes, knew that it must have been no other than his best friend who had caused the commotion in that fine morning.

“You’re so noisy, really! We’re just sleeping!” Heeyoung shouted back, not moving an inch from her current position.

Changjo groaned. “What’s the matter, Hyung? It’s like you haven’t seen us like this before,” he muttered. Only Changjo who bothered to rise his head a bit and looked at Chunji while Heeyoung was still having her head hid inside his hug.

“Ya! How long you’ve been here for?” asked Chunji, still shouting from the doorway.

Changjo glanced at his wristwatch. “Two hours,” he answered. “All clear, right? Bye.” He then landed his head back on the pillow again.

“You should stop sneaking in like a burglar, really.” Chunji rolled his eyes.

“I’ve sneaked into your place for years then why did you just complain it now?” replied Changjo. He just spoke without looking at the older guy like he did before.

Chunji snorted in annoyance. “You’re dating my sister now and don’t forget the fact that she’s my responsibility here, stupid.”

“Oh, so sweet, Oppa,” Heeyoung scoffed from Changjo’s hug still.

Chunji ruffled his hair in frustration. “Haish! Just do whatever you want then. Your breakfast’s ready, Heeyoung-ah. And you, cheeky bastard, go make your own if you want to. I just made three servings.”

Heeyoung jolted up and jumped off the bed in the mention of breakfast, shocking Changjo who then got up as well. “You’re so mean, Hyung!” he complained.

“Ya! I had no idea that you’re here! That’s what you get for sneaking in the early morning!” Chunji snapped before turning his body and walked away.

Heeyoung joined Ricky who was having his serving at the dining table. Chunji and Changjo then came into the scene, still quarrelling. Heeyoung asked for a mouthful of Ricky’s pancake before butting into the mess. “Quiet you two. I’ll make yours, Changjo,” she mumbled while munching the pancake Ricky gave her. Chunji had already taken his own seat and started having his breakfast.

Changjo then tailed the girl to the kitchen. “So, when will we go?” he hopped to sit on the counter while watching her preparing the ingredients.

“We’re gonna have lunch there so yeah, better arrive before lunch time comes,” she said. “Why are you looking at me like that?” she noticed his blunt stare at her when she glanced at him.

“Nothing. I’m just… I’ve never had a double date before.” He hesitantly shrugged.

Heeyoung furrowed her eyebrows. “But your expression told me that it’s not just as simple as that. What is it actually?”

Silence. Changjo was avoiding her interrogating gaze at him. He had been considering whether he should tell her the truth or not, but he didn’t heart to ruin her excitement on that double date thingy.

“Okay then if you don’t wanna talk about it. I’m just gonna pretend that it’s just me overthinking.” Heeyoung shrugged as she moved around to get the cooking utensils.

Changjo sighed, “I don’t go along well with Minsoo. You know that. That’s what I’m worried about.”

“Don’t mind it. You’re gonna be with me all the time though,” she replied while pouring the batter onto the frying pan. “Forget the past,” she added.

“I’ve been awkward with him from the start. I just can’t forget the fact that he’s your ex every time I meet him. After what happened just… how can I forget those all?” a slight of frustration could be heard in his voice. “It’s impossible for me to act normal in front of him.”

“We can cancel this if you want,” she said as she waited for the pancake to cook.

Changjo shook his head. “Don’t. It’s fine. Moreover it’s not good to cancel it just a few hours before the time.”

“Are you sure?” she couldn’t help to doubt his answer.

He gave her a faint smile and a nod. “Is it done yet?” he changed the topic as he hopped off the counter and moved to get his own plate.

“Few minutes more unless you want to have it undercooked,” she chuckled.

“It would still taste good since you’re the one cooking it.” He already back with his cheesy words. “Okay, I’ll stop it,” he replied her weird stare at him before running away from the kitchen.

******

“Come on,” she told Changjo who was playing a video game with Ricky in the living room with Chunji watching them from the couch.

“Where are you going?” Ricky asked without looking at her since his focus was all on the screen.

“Date. Well, double date actually.” She was squatting in front of the shoe rack, looking for her shoes.

“Double date?” Ricky suddenly paused the game to ask Heeyoung, causing Changjo to curse at him. “With whom?” Chunji butted in.

Heeyoung glanced at Changjo who shrugged at her. “Uh… Minsoo and his girlfriend.”

“What? Minsoo? Bang Minsoo?” Chunji reflexively spluttered hearing her answer while Ricky was completely blank. “What on earth is happening?” asked Ricky as he finally found his voice back. “Bang Minsoo your ex?” Chunji got a glare from Changjo for his rhetoric question.

“Ya, we’re all good. Why does it seem so wrong to you all? We’re still friends. It’s not like I’m having a date with him,” she argued. “He’s got a girlfriend. She’s our classmate back then.”

Ricky was the one glancing at Changjo, demanding for any words from him. “What?” Changjo cluelessly asked. His best friend rolled his eyes in disappointment.

“Are you done, Changjo?” she sent codes to him to leave the place as soon as possible, escaping from her brothers' further questions.

“Coming.” He got up and walked towards the front door. Chunji and Ricky were having their eyes on him, noticing something’s off from his gesture. “Bye, guys!” the couple left them speechless.

******

“Hi, sorry we’re late,” Heeyoung greeted Minsoo and Soojin who had been sitting on their table when they arrived.

“No, it’s okay. We just came here too early.” Minsoo was the one replying while Soojin just simply smiled at Heeyoung and Changjo.

They were sitting still in awkwardness before Soojin finally broke the silence. “Uh, we should probably start ordering now.” She passed the menu which had been lying on the table untouched.

Heeyoung scooted closer to Changjo as they were scanning through the menu together. She really thought Changjo was reading the menu while in fact he had been stealing glances at Minsoo instead. “What do you want to order?” she asked in a sudden, startling the busy boy.

“Uhm… anything. Just choose anything for me,” he said before getting back on his business.

Unfortunately the awkward atmosphere was hanging above them again soon after the waitress took their orders. Changjo kept looking away from the couple in front of them while Minsoo sneakily stealing glances at Heeyoung. They hadn’t even spent half an hour there, but the awkwardness had reached its when Soojin left to the toilet. That’s when Changjo finally dared himself to stare at Minsoo who just smiled widely at them for no reason.

“How’s school? Still the same?” Heeyoung tried to break the ice.

“Yeah, nothing changed. Mr. Kim is still stingy on giving grades,” Minsoo laughed. “So, you two are in the same school now, right?” he turned to Changjo, purposely dragging him into the talk not to make it looked like it was just the two of them talking.

Changjo nodded with a faked smile plastered on his face. “Yeah,” he shortly answered.

“How is it there? It must be better since you two could be together.” Minsoo smiled as he exchanged glances between the two.

Heeyoung’s cheeks were flushed. “You asked the unnecessary. It’s rhetorical,” she chuckled. Beside her, Changjo was trying to laugh along.

Soon, Soojin was back, fortunately followed by the waitress who served their orders. “Lunch time!” Soojin happily clapped. “Come on, let’s start eating!” her bright self brought a satisfied smile to Heeyoung knowing that she was way too different with her cold tone towards her back then.

“Here’s your meal.” Heeyoung took one dish for Changjo. “I ordered your favorite,” she added.

Changjo shyly smiled at her. “Thanks.”

Without their knowing, Minsoo witnessed it all. You’re so lucky to have her, Changjo.

“Minsoo-ya, you’re not eating?” Soojin broke his sneaky stare towards the couple.

He hastily smiled at her. “Uh, yeah. I’ll start eating. You go too,” told him.

The couples soon were busy on their own, interacting with their partner as they were having their meal. Nonetheless, at least it made the situation less awkward for a while. They went for a walk after they finished their lunch.

Soojin took Heeyoung by the hand right away as they walked out the place, leaving Changjo and Minsoo walking behind them. Definitely it wasn’t a good idea at all to Changjo. His eyes reflexively widened when Soojin took Heeyoung away from him. Knowing his worries since forever, Heeyoung couldn’t help to glance worriedly at him either. Grinning, she mouthed sorry to the nervous guy. Fortunately, Minsoo wasn’t paying any attention at the silent commotion they made. Changjo could just sigh realizing that there’s nothing much he could do than to be stuck together with Minsoo next to him.

Minsoo who had been busy on his phone finally realized that he was being left behind with Changjo. He smiled at Changjo when the tauten-faced guy noticed his glance at him.

“So, everything’s been going well for you two, hasn’t it?” Minsoo started as he casually shoved his hands into his pockets.

Changjo nervously smiled back at him. “Yeah,” he mumbled.

“Does she still often get jealous at girls around you?” Minsoo chuckled remembering his talk with her back then.

“Fortunately that was the first and the last time,” he laughed along, but the nervousness hadn’t gone from his voice. “I haven’t got to thank you for it by the way.”

Minsoo snorted. “That’s nothing. I’m glad for you two.” He tapped his back warmly. “You just got to bear her sometimes.” He was back on chuckling again.

“Thank you.” Changjo managed to put his awkwardness aside to smile sincerely at him. “I’m getting used to it now,” he joked.

Minsoo heavily sighed as he stared at the back figure of the two girls few meters forward. “Just… don’t hurt her, okay?” he turned at Changjo beside him. “I hope I’m the last guy who hurt her. She really didn’t deserve such a thing.” He trailed off while his gaze moved down on his feet.

“Like I would even dare to.” Changjo shrugged. “I took pains to get her.”

I actually did too, Minsoo thought. “At least by that you would treasure her more.”

“Most,” Changjo corrected. “How long you’ve been going with Soojin by the way?” he changed the topic, somehow pitied Minsoo who turned gloomy in a sudden from the previous topic.

“Hm… three months? I’m not sure,” replied him. “I had no idea how I could end up with her.” His laugh brought Changjo to laugh along with him.

“Minsoo-ya!” Soojin waved at him from afar, signaling the two guys to approach them faster. The boyfriend just nodded at her before he quickened his pace with Changjo following.

“Do you guys mind if we stop for some ice cream first?” Heeyoung took her turn to ask the guys.

“Not at all.” Minsoo was the first one to answer with a wide smile across his face.

Changjo who replied by silently shaking his head couldn’t stop to feel slightly disturbed by Minsoo’s—somehow—meaningful smile at Heeyoung. Although he was actually facing the two girls, his feelings told him that Minsoo only smiled at Heeyoung. At least his eyes said so.

Minsoo then put his hands on Soojin’s shoulders before pushing her towards the ice cream parlor first, leaving Changjo and Heeyoung who at least reunited again in the end.

“Are you okay?” Heeyoung hesitantly asked, biting her lip as she raised her eyebrows.

Changjo kissed her forehead after wrapping his arm around her shoulder while they followed the other couple. “I’m fine.” He convinced her more with a smile.

“What flavor do you want?” Soojin questioned the two right away when they stepped into the shop.

“Strawberry ice cream mixed with cookies and cream?” Minsoo confidently guessed, half joking.

Changjo moved his gaze away, irritated by Minsoo’s behavior. His guess was accurate. Well, it wasn’t even a guess since he must have known it knowing they were once a couple, but the thing which started bothering his mind was that whether Minsoo purposely did that in front of him. He was then wondering why Soojin didn’t even seem jealous nor offended by it.

Heeyoung laughed, “All time favorite, yes.” She nodded at both Soojin and Minsoo. “What do you want, Changjo? Chocolate?”

“Yeah.” It was his umpteenth time that day to answer that short with a faked smile towards the rest.

They all were then sitting together, exchanging talk while having their ice cream. Heeyoung was being kept by Soojin into the talk that she—and the other two—didn’t notice Changjo hadn’t joined talking since they took a seat. The guy was busy on his own, looking down on his uneaten ice cream as he aimlessly stabbing his spoon into it over and over. It was about 15 minutes later Heeyoung finally realized something wasn’t right with him when the talk was paused since Minsoo went to the restroom.

Heeyoung with all the guilt leaned closer to him, purposely turning at him to block Soojin’s view at their talk. She his hair as she looked at him, trying to read his mind. “You’re not okay,” she whispered her conclusion. “Let’s wait for Minsoo to get back here and go home after.”

“No, you don’t have to do that. You’re having a good time with them.” Changjo faintly smiled while he tried to convince her.

Heeyoung firmly shook her head. “I’m not having a good time if you’re not,” told her. Just after she finished her words, Minsoo was already back. “Minsoo-ya, Soojin-ah, is it okay if we leave now?” she referred to Changjo and herself.

Soojin frowned in disappointment. “Why so early?”  

“We have something important to be done all of a sudden,” answered Heeyoung politely.

Minsoo chuckled, “Private times, eh?” he teased.

“Ya!” Heeyoung crumpled a tissue and threw it at him. “So, we’re going now,” announced her as she got up from her seat first. “It feels good to meet you two again. Thanks for the good time today although it was short.” She smiled at Soojin before they hugged each other.

“See you again, bro.” Minsoo showed his palm for a high five, smiling at Changjo who just smirked at him as he high fived him. “Bye, Heeyoung.” He then turned at her.

Once again Changjo witnessed the irritating smile of him at her. His smile was clearly different from the way he smiled at the others before, Changjo just knew it. He moved his gaze away from them while actually he was clenching his fist on his side, holding himself back. Over my dead body, Bang Minsoo.

 


A/N:

Firstly I'd like to say hello to my beloved readers here! Omg it's been a year since I first published this fic! I'm back with an update, the extension you've been waiting for. I'm really sorry for the long wait, I hope this reached your expectation! I've been re-reading your comments here and I just can't help to be grateful to have you all here with such supporting comments! I was actually about to give up on this fic, but then re-reading those comments made me feel like I owe you all for willing to read, subscribe, and upvote this fic. Then I would just feel bad if I didn't fulfill the wish for an extension. I hope you've been enjoying the fic, please kindly wait for the next chapters, I'm trying my best! :-)

And while you wait, why don't you just have a check on my other fics as well? Here you go:

  • Fixed Stars : an angsty Infinite one shot of Sungjong, Sungyeol, and Myungsoo (currently thinking for a sequel of it)
  • The End Where I Begin : a (supposed to be) angsty school life romance fic of BTS with my OC, Suga, V, and Jin as the main

Thank you guys! Love you! *throwing hearts*