The One He Couldn't Lose

Home Is In Your Eyes

Heeyoung and Niel went straight to their room and locked the door as they arrived. Heeyoung lied to her mom that they already had dinner. Niel didn't protest for that. Heeyoung faked everything in front of her mom, pretending everything's okay. Heeyoung was sitting in silence, staring blankly. Niel was sitting beside her too, ready to listen if she spoke her mind up again. Heeyoung's phone rang. It's Minsoo. She didn't pick it up nor reject it, she silenced her phone instead. She's all done with him. Heeyoung glanced at Niel. His warm smile wouldn't be there anymore in the next day. Why do these all happen in the wrong time. Why do these happen just right before Niel's departure.

Heeyoung hugged her knees and buried her face. "You may cry. Cry it out as much as you want. Cry it all out if you can't speak it up." Niel patted her back.

She really cried it out. She didn't want to burden Niel on his last day there, but she couldn't take it anymore. "I'm sorry, Niel. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I can't make you leave in good atmosphere."

Niel hugged her. "You don't have to feel sorry. Honestly speaking, I don't want to leave you in this situation alone. I'm worried you'll have to get through your old days again. I'm the one who should feel sorry." Niel was trying hard to hold his tears.

"Promise me you'll contact me as often as you can." asked Heeyoung between her sobs. "I will." He promised. "You have Chunji and Ricky too. Meet them more often." Heeyoung nodded. "But nobody can replace you."

Niel smiled. "You should sleep now. Forget things for a while." She lay herself on her bed and pulled up her blanket. Niel kissed her forehead. "Have a nice dream."

"I don't remember when was the last time you did that to me." Heeyoung laughed in bitterness. "At least I did it again just now. Sleep."

******

Minsoo didn't stop dialing Heeyoung's number. She didn't answer it. Damn it. Argh!! His feelings made his breath uncontrollably fast. Just thinking Heeyoung had made him more furious on Jihyeon. He tried harder to calm his breath. The more his breath slowed down, the more he felt emotional. He let his frustrated tears out. He could lose Heeyoung just because that btch called Jihyeon. He had broken up with her long time ago. They never contacted each other ever since. Then Jihyeon went to visit him that day, he welcomed her as a friend, as a guest, because he thought they had broken up in peace a year before. And then this catastrophe happened. He felt like killing his ownself. He had no idea that Jihyeon thought that they're still dating. But everything had happened. Everybody had been hurt.

******

It's been an hour since Niel kissed her goodnight. She couldn't sleep. Her mind was too busy thinking about every single thing she would get through. Niel will be leaving tomorrow. She sighed. My old desperate days are coming back. She glanced at Niel who had been sleeping deeply. Niel had been like her own brother. She got up from her bed and went to Niel's bed. She kissed his forehead and lay herself beside him. Niel fell too deep into his sleep, he didn't budge. She stared at his peaceful face while his cheek. I won't see his face again tomorrow. I can't do this again tomorrow night. She cried silently. She hugged Niel and fell asleep a few minutes later.

******

Niel, Heeyoung, and her mom left the house in the early morning for Niel's departure. Heeyoung had been clinging onto Niel's arm without saying anything. Her mom felt sorry for her. But she had done her best just to make Niel came. Niel's departure was just another fact her daughter had to accept. "It's time for me to go." Niel announced. "We'll be okay. Everything will be alright." He told Heeyoung who hadn't say anything since they left the house. Heeyoung hugged him tight. She couldn't help to cry again. "I cry a lot. I'm sorry."

"You'll be okay." He whispered. Heeyoung didn't want to release the hug. "Heeyoung-ah, please. Trust me. Everything will be alright. We'll meet again soon. Trust me." Niel tried to convince her. Heeyoung inhaled deeply and released the hug slowly. She kissed Niel's cheek.

"Thank you for everything, Mom." Niel thanked Mrs. Park. She smiled warmly at him and hugged him. "I'm the one who should thank you. Have a safe flight."

Niel nodded. "I'm leaving now." He made it clear. "See you soon, dear." He kissed Heeyoung's forehead. She tried to smile, wanting Niel to see her smiling in their last moments. "I love you. Take care." She hugged Niel for the last time. "You too." Then he walked away, waving on them.

Niel was officially left her then. She inhaled deeply, trying to clear and calm her mind. She thought to herself that she'd meet him again anytime soon. Heeyoung and her mom took the same subway line on their way to school and work. "I'm going first. See ya." She told her mom a few seconds before her stop. Her mom nodded and kissed her cheek.

Heeyoung got off the subway and walked away. She went to the toilet and changed her uniform to her daily clothes. She's skipping school for that day. She was too down to see Minsoo. She didn't want to meet him yet. She had no idea where she's going. She didn't want to go back home either. She got on the subway again. Just having a random trip around the city. She checked her phone. 20 missed calls and 5 unread messages. Minsoo. Whatever. She didn't read the messages, yet she didn't delete them either. She texted L.Joe instead. I'm not going to school today. I'm okay. Well, not really. But don't worry about me. If Minsoo asked about me, just pretend you know nothing. I'll tell you everything later. See ya.

Eh? I hope everything's okay. Noted. See ya. The fast texter replied. Everything was definitely not okay. Heeyoung put the phone back to her pocket and closed her eyes.

******

Meanwhile, Minsoo went to school earlier that day, hoping that he could use the chance to talk with Heeyoung. But until the bell rang, she didn't appear anywhere. His stress level went up, reminding him of the last time they fought. Well, they weren't a couple back then. He really wanted to ask L.Joe but he didn't want to bother him more. He tried to text Heeyoung again at the break time, even called her. But the result was still the same. She didn't answer the calls nor replied his texts. This is getting serious.

******

Heeyoung was sitting at a random coffee shop downtown. She decided to stop there since she really had nowhere to go. Her phone rang. It's Minsoo again. I don't give a damn. She silenced her phone. Few minutes later, it's his text coming. Gosh. This guy is really stubborn. She ruffled her own hair. Heeyoung-ah where are you? Why aren't you coming? Please, I need to talk to you. Let me explain everything. This is a misunderstanding. Please, let me explain. Please. I want to save us. She hissed. He wants to save us? Come on. There's nothing to be saved anymore.

She stayed there for the whole day. She had purposely brought her laptop and some books from home. About 10 minutes before school time ended, Heeyoung texted L.Joe to come to the coffee shop she's at. Actually she couldn't stop thinking about Minsoo that day. She's considering to meet Minsoo, but then Jihyeon appeared in her mind. Fck off. I'm done.

"Gosh. What the hell is happening? You never skip school unless you're so damn sick." asked L.Joe right away when he arrived at the coffee shop.

She sighed. "I am." Then she started crying. "W-woah. Heeyoung-ah, what happened? Don't cry, please. Oh my God what should I do??" He was panicking. All he could do was hugging Heeyoung and patting her back to calm her down but it's not really working. "Heeyoung-ah calm down.. Tell me.."

Heeyoung wiped her tears. "I... I don't know from where I should start." She stuttered. "Anywhere. Just tell me what happened."

She stared at him and inhaled deeply. "Minsoo... He... He has a girlfriend."

Then it's L.Joe who was staring in disbelief at Heeyoung. "Come again?" Heeyoung hated to repeat it but she had to. "Minsoo has a girlfriend. Another girlfriend. I'm not the only one." L.Joe was about to swear but Heeyoung cut him first. "But. I'm his second one." He shut his mouth right away. She told him what happened on the day before.

Told ya. Now my undefined worries have been proven. "Have you talked to him?" Heeyoung shook her head. "What will you do?" She shrugged. "Are you going to school tomorrow?" L.Joe couldn't stop interrogating her.

"I don't know. I don't think so. I want to calm myself first." She finally spoke. "My mom hasn't known about this yet."

"She doesn't know that you're skipping school today?" L.Joe's making sure. "Don't tell her please." She begged him.

"I won't. You should go home and have a rest. You look physically terrible." told L.Joe. "Come on."

L.Joe accompanied her home that day, worried if she might collapse anytime on her way home. He then went home right away from her place. Heeyoung was glad finding out that her mom wasn't home yet. She went to her room, locked it up. She threw herself to her bed before clenching her puffy eyes. God. Why are you doing this to me. Her tears flowed down again. She was flashing back Jihyeon's bright expression everytime she mentioned Minsoo. You're nothing, Heeyoung. You're just filling Jihyeon's place while she's away. You're not replacing her. You can't. You're completely nothing. She's perfect. You're nothing. "Aaaarrghh!" She screamed her lungs out. Heeyoung checked her silenced phone. Minsoo's texts keep coming. I don't care. She pulled her hair, frustrated. Then there's an incoming call from Minsoo. She picked up the call but she didn't say anything.

"Heeyoung-ah?" Minsoo sounded glad knowing his call was being picked up. Silence. "Heeyoung-ah.." He called her name again. Heeyoung was having a staring contest with her ceiling, not bothering to answer him. "Heeyoung-ah.. It's all a misunderstanding. You mistook everything." How come I'm the one mistaking everything, stupid. I've heard it all. "Heeyoung-ah, we need to talk. Let me explain everything."

"I know you're listening to me now. Please, let me explain everything. I want to solve this. I really hate this situation. I went to your place but you weren't home. I need to meet you." He begged. There's nothing to be explained anymore. I've heard enough. "It's a misunderstanding, Heeyoung-ah. It's not like what you think. I can explain this all. Please. Give me the chance."

Heeyoung couldn't stand it again. "Tsk. Fck off." She ended the call before he couldn't answer her.

******

Damn you, Jihyeon. Handling a mad Heeyoung is the hardest task that ever exist. Now I don't even get the chance to explain what's really happening. It's because your stupid mouth. Damn you. Heeyoung hates me already. Great. The problem's getting more complex now. Thanks a lot. Minsoo punched the wall. He had no idea what he should do. Heeyoung was completely mad at him. She's so mad that she didn't even want to argue with him. He was flashing back to the times when he was so desperately in love with her. He did everything to get her. He did everything he could to make Heeyoung trusted him. Trusted him that he really loved her. He really was. She's the right one for him. She's the only one. The one he couldn't lose. Never. Ever.