Before the Worst

Home Is In Your Eyes

Heeyoung was standing in front of the door, waiting for either Chunji or Ricky to open it up. The door cracked open.

"Uh.. Hi." Heeyoung stuttered as she saw Changjo standing by the door instead.

The guy looked a bit startled as well. He seemed avoiding Heeyoung's gaze. "C-c-come on in."

The two sat in the quiet living room. Awkwardness covered them up. "Chunji's sleeping and Ricky hasn't come home yet. He told me to go here first." told Changjo, answering Heeyoung's confusion since her eyes had been scanning around the place.

"Oh." Heeyoung nodded. "How are you? It's been a long time."

Changjo smirked. "Good. You?"

Heeyoung noticed the slight difference on Changjo's tone. He lied. "Not bad." None of them continued. Changjo was pretending busy reading a magazine while Heeyoung was just playing with her fingers. Actually, she thought Chunji was the only one who's home by the time she arrived there. She already knew that those times Ricky wouldn't be home. But she didn't expect to find Changjo there. Then she had no idea what to do.

"I miss you, you know." Heeyoung tried to break the ice.

Changjo closed the magazine and turned his head to Heeyoung. "I don't believe it." Changjo chuckled in sarcasm.

Heeyoung gave a serious look. "Really. I'm not lying."

"Good to hear. But how if I don't miss you?"

She shrugged, feeling lost. "Whatever. I was just expressing my feeling."

Changjo elbowed her. "Yah! I'm joking! I miss you too."

Heeyoung smirked as she slapped Changjo's cheek lightly. Her touch made his cheeks blushed for a split second. "Steamed buns."

"COME AGAIN? WHO TOLD YOU THAT NICKNAME?!" His eyes widened.

Heeyoung was laughing hard at his response. "That guy." Heeyoung pointed Chunji who was coming out from his room, yawning.

"Huh?" Chunji hadn't fully awoke yet. "Woah you're here, ahjumma." He threw himself to the sofa, joining Changjo and Heeyoung.

Heeyoung smashed Chunji with a pillow. "Shut up."

"We'll get this done later, hyung." Changjo threatened Chunji.

"What are you talking about?" asked Chunji with his eyes still closed.

Heeyoung was still laughing. "He's mad because you told me about that steamed buns nickname."

Chunji jerked up straight and laughed loudly, receiving a death glare from Changjo. "YAH I DIDN'T MEAN TO TELL HER! IT WAS AN ACCIDENT!" defended Chunji.

The front door opened. "I'm home." It's Ricky. "Yah what's happening here?" He was confused. "Woah Heeyoung-ah!" He ran to Heeyoung and hugged her.

She smiled at him and hugged back. "Where have you been? Hm... Your uniform smells like it has a girl perfume on it. Chunji oppa! Your brother just came home from dating!"

Ricky was panicking. "WHAT?! I'm not!! I'm just back from an extra lesson! Right, Changjo?" Ricky asked for Changjo's help.

Changjo shrugged. "Actually I don't know where have you been either."

"Yah hyung! He's lying! I'm just back from school!" Ricky defended himself.

"Guys, it's not that he's back from a date. Maybe it's him who used girls' perfume." Chunji joined them, supported by Heeyoung and Changjo's hysterical laughs. Ricky threw his bag onto his brother. "Screw you."

"Okay okay, stop it. By the way, why don't we go out for dinner? I'll treat." offered Chunji. His dongsaengs shouted a loud yes in unison.

All of them went to a small restaurant around the block. They were completely having fun and not forgetting to take photos too. They haven't gone out with Chunji along with them before. Ricky was reviewing their photos on Heeyoung's phone when he accidentally saw Heeyoung's pic with a guy. Ricky was quite sure that it was the guy he saw few days before. He glanced at Heeyoung who was busy joking with Chunji and Changjo. He didn't want to ruin the atmosphere so he's keeping the questions for later. They went out until around 9pm since it's on the weekdays and they had school for the next day.

Changjo splitted up with the three. The three walked home together. "Heeyoung-ah. I accidentally saw a pic of you with a guy on your phone. Who's that?" Ricky asked carefully. Chunji already guessed who that guy was. But he's pretending to be clueless as usual.

She raised her eyebrows, completely clueless. "L.Joe?"

"Uhm, I think it's not L.Joe. I have seen L.Joe before."

Minsoo's name didn't come out on Heeyoung's mind. She didn't remember that she had taken a pic with him too before. "Niel?"

"Pass me your phone for a sec if you don't mind. I'm just curious." Heeyoung did as she was told. "This one." Ricky pointed at the pic.

Heeyoung's face went stiff. "Uh... It's Minsoo." Heeyoung bit her lower lip while stealing a glance at Chunji. Chunji bit his lip in worries.

"You two seem really close." Ricky threw the bait.

"It's an old pic when we're doing the project." She lied.

"I thought the relationship between you two weren't that good and close." Ricky argued. "Has the hate between you two turned to the opposite way? You two are dating, aren't you?" From Ricky's expression, Heeyoung could tell that he's deadly serious talking about that matter. Silence. "So?" bombarded Ricky.

Chunji gave a slight nod to Heeyoung when Ricky wasn't looking at them. "Uh... We're...yeah. Well.. Uhm, you can call it so." Heeyoung didn't heart to say the main word.

"Why? Why didn't you tell us?" Ricky sounded betrayed.

Heeyoung felt guilty. Actually she didn't want to hurt Changjo. She didn't tell Ricky because telling Ricky means telling Changjo too. "I...don't want to hurt Changjo. I'm sorry."

Ricky questioned Chunji's silence during the conversation. He glanced at his older brother. "Wait a sec. Don't say that you've already knew about this." If Chunji didn't know anything, he must have been mad as well.

"I knew nothing. I'm just...speechless." Chunji saved Heeyoung from falling deeper into the hole.

Ricky sighed. "To be honest, I'm disappointed with you, Heeyoung-ah."

The three walked in silence for the rest distance.

******

Heeyoung couldn't sleep that night. She couldn't stop feeling guilty for not telling Ricky although she had a good reason behind it. Her mind was recalling all that happened recently. Things weren't better from before. All went worse. It's because of your selfishness, Heeyoung. She stared at the ceiling. Tears started flowing down on her cheek. She didn't even bother to wipe it. She just let it all out.

Her phone vibrated. It's okay, Heeyoung-ah. Your decision was right. Don't mind Ricky and his words just now. Follow your heart, my lovely sister. Take care :) Chunji. Her tears keep flowing out. Chunji's words didn't make her feel better. She couldn't get rid that guilty feeling towards Ricky. She bet Ricky had told Changjo about it and she's completely screwed up. She felt losing her close friends one by one. Niel, L.Joe, and then Ricky and Changjo. She sighed.

Another text arrived. It's her mom. I'll be back tomorrow. You don't have to pick me up to the airport. See you dear. She already forgot that her mom hadn't been home. Well, it wouldn't make any change. It probably would be worse.

******

Ricky dialed Changjo's number as they stepped into their place. "It's true. They're dating. It was Minsoo." He reported right away. Chunji glanced at his brother. "Yeah I accidentally saw their pic on her phone and I asked her on the way home."

Chunji poked Ricky. "Stop it." He whispered.

Ricky nodded at Chunji, but he didn't stop. "Hm. Yeah yeah. What should we do?" replied him to Changjo without bothering Chunji's warning. "Don't worry, I-" Ricky's words were cut off. Chunji couldn't stand it anymore, he just took away the phone and ended the call.

"Yah hyung!!" Ricky nagged.

Chunji was burning in anger. "I've told you to stop. You didn't want to hear me."

"What's the problem? Heeyoung betrayed us! She doesn't trust us! Changjo needs to know about this!" Ricky shouted back at Chunji.

"Think before you speak! Don't you think about her reason behind this for a sec? Have you?! She's kind enough to cover it up from Changjo! From you especially! Because she already knows that your big mouth would spill it to Changjo!! She already hurt Changjo before and she didn't want to hurt him again! Did you ever think about that?! Moreover both of them are your bestfriends! Don't you think about Changjo's feeling? Don't you think that you hurt him too?!" Chunji exploded. Ricky was shocked by his brother's sudden explosion. It's been a long time since the last time he experienced this. Chunji rarely got mad at Ricky unless he did a big mistake. "And now you hurt Heeyoung as well! I'm the one who should've been disappointed on your behavior! I didn't teach you to grow up like this! Please be more mature!" Chunji bursted out everything. His words jabbed Ricky deeper. "You just embarassed me as your brother with your behavior!"

The younger kept his mouth shut. He just realized he had made a big mistake until Chunji stabbed him with his sharp words. He didn't dare to see Chunji. He was thinking about Chunji's words. Just thinking about it made him want to cry and cursed himself. Why he was being so stupid all along. He's right. I'm the one who's selfish. I'm the one hurting my bestfriends. Even my brother. My only one brother. I made him disappointed. "I-I'm sorry, hyung." Ricky apologized. He didn't know what else he could do than apologizing. He still didn't dare to see Chunji. "I didn't think twice about it all." But Chunji didn't respond.

Ricky knew he's way too mad. "I-I was too focus on defending Changjo until I didn't care about Heeyoung anymore." Ricky couldn't hold his tears any longer. Chunji's anger on him was one of the things he's scared of. His body started shivering. "I-I'm really sorry to let you down, hyung. I-I'm sorry. Please forgive me, hyung."

Chunji didn't say anything. He threw the phone onto Ricky's lap and walked to his room. He slammed the door closed. Ricky was still frozen at his place, crying silently. That was the time he missed his mom for being on his side when Chunji made him cry.

******

It's true. They're dating. It's Minsoo. Ricky's words had been haunting Changjo's mind ever since. He remembered when he saw the couple in front of Heeyoung's place. The way they shared hugs and kisses. I'm just nobody. I'm nothing. There's no way I could make her happier than that. That's why she chose him. That's why she loves him more. She didn't love you, Choi Changjo. She's just cheering you up. Words are easy enough to be spoken. She didn't love you for sure. There's no way for her to love you. You're just a friend of her. Not more. Swallow the fact, Changjo. He sighed.

 


 

A/N:

I'm still waiting for your comments! And once again I appreciate all of you guys who have been willing to subscribe this fic! Thanks! <3