Old Friend

Home Is In Your Eyes

Heeyoung couldn't focus much at school. She had been thinking hard how to make up with Ricky. And Changjo. She was sure that Changjo had already known too. There's no way Ricky wouldn't tell that to him. Their bond was no joke.

After school, Heeyoung decided to talk to L.Joe. Trying to make up with him as well. Their "agreement" seemed broken. She tried to act normally to him but he kept avoiding her. She had told Minsoo to go home first since she had to meet L.Joe.

"Hi." Heeyoung took a seat beside L.Joe at the school field, his favorite spot. He glanced first, but he got up when he realized that it was Heeyoung. She grabbed his hand to stop him. "Please."

He pulled his hand roughly from Heeyoung's grip and sat back to his seat before. "What?" He asked coldly.

"We need to talk." demanded Heeyoung.

"Where's your boyfriend? Why don't you just go talk to him instead? I think you don't need me anymore." L.Joe asked in sarcasm.

She tried to calm herself. "Byunghun-ah. Stop torturing me. Please." She nearly cried.

He hissed. "Torturing you? You're the one who's been torturing me!" His tone raised up.

"I..I've been trying so hard to make a gap between us everytime I'm with him. I..I can't do it anymore."

"Making a gap between us doesn't mean forgetting me away easily like that! I don't remember you've ever contacted me after the last time we met! You're always be around him and keep making the gap wider and wider without keeping in touch with me. Is that what you called friendship? Am I wrong if I'm mad like this? Am I?! Do you still want to say that I'm the one torturing you? Huh?" L.Joe hit the roof.

Heeyoung cried. She's mad on herself. Nobody could fulfill everyone's wants. Nobody could be perfect. Nobody could have everything. Every second of your life was an option. You couldn't choose both. You just have to choose. Either you wanted it or not. She couldn't think straight. She messed up her own life. She messed up others' expectation on her. "Go on. Tell me all my wrongs. Keep going. I deserve this. You can even slap me if you want." She whispered between her sobs.

L.Joe sighed. "All my want is just you to stay away from him. That's all I ever wanted." His voice weakened. He circled his arm around her shoulder.

The girl was still sobbing, burying her face onto her palms. "Why don't you just tell me your problems with him?" She went frustrated.

He was avoiding her gaze. "I don't like him for no reason. I have a bad feeling on him."

She rubbed her temple. "I'm tired, Byunghun-ah. I'm tired on trying to fulfill  others' expectations on me. I'm sorry."

"It's okay. You've tried your best. Everything's alright. It's okay." He tried to calm her down with his hug. He was immersed, he couldn't hold his emotional tears anymore. "I'm sorry for being hard on you." He kissed his bestfriend's forehead.

******

Heeyoung walked back home alone. She heard some noise from the kitchen as she unlocked the door. Her mom was home already to her surprise.

"Hello dear! How are you? I miss you!" She attacked Heeyoung with hugs and kisses.

Heeyoung smirked lazily. "As usual. Miss you too. Sorry Mom, I'm kinda tired."

"It's okay, go have a rest." She Heeyoung's cheek. "Oh my God, did you cry? What happened?" Her mom noticed Heeyoung's red and swollen face.

"Hahaha it's nothing, Mom. I argued with L.Joe a bit. We're alright now. Don't worry."

She patted her shoulder. "Go get a rest. By the way, I brought you something. I put it in your room already. Hope you like it, it's nothing."

"Okay, thanks." Heeyoung nodded before walking away to her room. She was about to throw herself right away onto her bed like she always did until she noticed that something's unusual with her bed. There's a familiar person lying there. She was recalling her memories to identify who the person was. "WHAT THE HECK!! OH MY GOD, MOM! I HATE YOU!" She gasped. She could hear her mom's laugh from a far. Her jaw dropped open.

The person smirked at her. "Nice to meet you again, Heeyoung."

Heeyoung slapped herself. She couldn't believe the joke. It's not a joke. "DANIEL I HATE YOU!" She ran to hug her old bestfriend. She couldn't pull herself away from him. She missed him so much. She thought she'd never see him again. In fact, he was there in front of her, smiling widely. The smile which Heeyoung had been dying wishing just to see it once again. She saw it again. She couldn't hold her tears of happiness, crying with all her might. "Niel I hate youuuuu!" She kept shouting the same words. The guy just laughed at her as he squeezed her in a tight hug. They didn't know how to express their feelings anymore.

Heeyoung dragged Niel to the kitchen. "Is this the 'thing' you bring from US?! Is this?!" She asked her mom in disbelief.

"That's the only 'thing' you want from there, right?" Her mom couldn't help to laugh at her daughter hysteric response. "Count it as your early birthday present."

Heeyoung hugged her mom tight. "Mom, I don't know what to say. I wanna thank you all my life for this, really." She kissed her mom's cheek. "I LOVE YOUUU!" Then she dragged Niel along with her to the living room. "Tell me how you ended up here!"

"Well, your dad told me that your mom was gonna be there for a few days, and he asked me if I could go to Korea with your mom. Voila." He shrugged.

"How long are you gonna stay here? Forever? Yes? Please? Hooray?" Heeyoung asked excitedly.

Niel paused. "Uhm, about three weeks?"

"You should've just moved here with me. Please. Don't go back." She begged.

"I hope so! Next year maybe. I'm thinking about going to a university here with you. Eh? You're going to uni, aren't you?"

"If only you're going with me!" She raised her hand to high five Niel. "I was dying on my early days here, you know. I miss you so bad, I cried. I swore you for not being on internet. It's 21st century please. I hate you." told her, flashing back to her most desperate days in her life.

He laughed. "I'm sorry, I only use internet to do my tasks hahaha now that I'm here, do anything you want."

"I want to kill you!!" She hugged Niel again. "Please be on internet please." She leaned on Niel's shoulder.

"I'll try. How's your life here?"

"My early days here were terrible." Then she told him everything she went through. "Until I met Ricky and Chunji. They're siblings. They live upstairs. Ricky's the same age with us, Chunji is older. They're like my real brothers. My life's a bit better at least. They're so kind and caring." Niel nodded, listening seriously. "And there's Changjo. He's Ricky's friend. He's nice. There's also L.Joe, my bestfriend at school. He lived in the US for a while. He's quiet but caring."

"You're still not going well with girls, are you?" Niel laughed louder as he ruffled her hair.

She shrugged. "Well, yeah. But I think I should start being friends with girls. Boys today have a lot of dramas too."

"So, which one is your boyfriend?" Niel jokingly asked. She shot a death glare at him. "Which one of those boys you're dating now?"

"No! None of them!" denied Heeyoung right away.

"Hmmm~" Niel elbowed the annoyed girl.

Their talk was being cut off by Heeyoung's mom call. "Dinner is ready, kids!" The two took seats, preparing theirselves for dinner. Then Heeyoung's mom came out from the kitchen. The three had dinner together. Heeyoung really missed that times. But her dad wasn't there then. She's kinda miss him.

******

Heeyoung's mom promised Heeyoung and Niel a special dinner few days later. It's like a welcoming party for Niel. Heeyoung's mom went home earlier from work to prepare the special dinner. Heeyoung approached her mom in the kitchen. She glanced around first, making sure that Niel wasn't there in the kitchen with them.

"Uhm.. Mom?" started Heeyoung.

"Yes dear?" Her mom was busy chopping.

She bit her lip, hesitating. "I.. May I.. Invite my boyfriend for tonight's dinner?"

Her mom stopped. She glanced at Heeyoung. was opened, amazed. "You mean like a real boyfriend? How come you just told me about it! Of course you may! Who's the lucky guy?"

"Sssh!! Niel might hear this!!" She gestured her mom to lower down her voice. "I hadn't got the chance to tell you before. Just see him tonight, Mom." She poked her mom and ran away to join Niel in the living room.

Few hours later, the bell rang. Heeyoung's heartbeat went wild. She was anxious. That would be her first time introducing her boyfriend, real boyfriend, to her mom. Moreover, Niel was there too. Ready to mock and to death. "I'll get it." She half skipped to the front door.

Minsoo was standing there, his eyebrows were raised. "Is it really okay for me to be here?" He knew that it was a special dinner to welcome Niel. Heeyoung had already told him about Niel, but that night would be the first time he met Niel.

Heeyoung scanned Minsoo from head to toe. "Woah. You look different." Ignoring his question.

"Something's wrong?" Minsoo was confused, wondering if something's wrong with his appearance.

She was still staring at Minsoo, dazed. "No, not at all. You look...uhm.. handsome." She blushed. So damn handsome exactly. "I rarely see you in casual outfit so yeah I'm kinda.. Amazed."

"Thanks." He smirked.

"Come on." Heeyoung grabbed Minsoo's hand and walked inside. Heeyoung's mom and Niel were watching TV in the living room. Niel was staring blankly at the couple as he saw them walking hand in hand. "Mom, Niel, this is Minsoo." She grinned awkwardly.

Minsoo bowed at Heeyoung's mom. "Hello, Mrs. Park. I'm Minsoo. Nice to meet you."

"Nice to meet you too, Minsoo. Have a seat." She welcomed him with a warm smile of a mother.

"Thank you." The couple then sat beside Niel who looked lost.

"Daniel, this is Minsoo." Heeyoung introduced Minsoo again.

"U-uh I'm oh hello I'm Niel." Niel introduced himself with his broken Korean as he shook Minsoo's hand.

Minsoo smiled at him. "Nice to meet you, Niel." But Niel was too lost to notice Minsoo's smile.

"Well, since Minsoo has arrived. Let's have our dinner now." invited Heeyoung's mom.

They had dinner and got to know each other more that night. Heeyoung's mom left the three kids in the living room after dinner to spend their own time more freely. As time passed by, Niel and Minsoo were a little bit closer and weren't as awkward as before. Minsoo went home after spending few hours at Heeyoung's place. Heeyoung's mom even told him to come again next time. Her mom went to her own room after Minsoo had left. Without her knowing, Heeyoung was following her.

"What do you think?" Heeyoung asked right away, referring to Minsoo.

"He's nice and polite overall. He's good looking too." Heeyoung's mom daughter.

Heeyoung smiled in satisfaction. "Good to hear that."

"I thought you're not really go along well with him."

"Yeah, I was. Even myself is still thinking how can this happen." Heeyoung answered shyly, couldn't hold her laugh.

Her mom seemed hesitating. "Honestly, I guessed your boyfriend was that Changjo kid. Eh it's Changjo, isn't it?"

Heeyoung was startled. Changjo. "Uhm yeah, Changjo. How could you think it's him?" She frowned.

"I don't know. Among all of your boyfriends, I think your relationship with him is kinda different. Like there's a special chemistry between you two." explained her mom. "Ah forget it." She shrugged.

Heeyoung let out a fake laugh. "Really? I didn't even have any idea about that."

"It doesn't mean that I don't like Minsoo, I haven't met him before so I have no idea about him. Don't mistook that." corrected her mom.

Heeyoung smiled. "It's okay, Mom. Thanks for letting me know about your thoughts. Good night." She kissed her mom's cheek and left.

******

"How long have you been dating him?" asked Niel as soon as Heeyoung went into her room.

"Few weeks. A month? I'm not sure." She guessed. "What do you think? About him."

"He's cool. Is he actually that quiet?"

"Yeah, he talks when he wants. He looks a bit arrogant, doesn't he?" She laughed. But Niel didn't laugh at it. "What's wrong with you?" She shifted beside Niel, holding his hand.

He didn't talk much since he met Minsoo. "Nothing. I'm just... Not getting used to it yet."

"What do you mean?" She raised her eyebrows.

"It's... Weird seeing you holding hands and kissing with a guy." He laughed. "Really. You're really falling for him. It's weird to see your lovey dovey gaze on him."

"Daniel you scared me! I thought you hate him or something!" It reminded her of L.Joe. "I know you're gonna mock me about this! My decision not to tell you was right!" Heeyoung pouted.

"You're growing up well. Be ready to be broken-hearted later, dear. Take the risks." teased Niel.

Heeyoung kicked Niel's leg. "Shut up!"